Kentucky's Berea Solar Farm Moves PV ...

Kentucky's Berea Solar Farm Moves PV Technology Closer to Mainstream

There are 7 comments on the Clean Energy Authority story from Sep 25, 2012, titled Kentucky's Berea Solar Farm Moves PV Technology Closer to Mainstream. In it, Clean Energy Authority reports that:

Although sunnier states like California and Arizona have long enjoyed fairly robust PV markets, Kentucky is helping to validate solar energy's reputation as a universal technology that can be deployed anywhere the sun shines.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Clean Energy Authority.

Citizen

Downers Grove, IL

#1 Oct 16, 2012
Where are the panels manufactured? What is the expected payout?
CkItOut

Lexington, KY

#2 Oct 17, 2012
You can go here and get a little information.

Click on, Live Production Statistis and Carbon Reduction

As for the fine print I am not sure. I too would like to know a bit more about the panels. Remember this just tiny, tiny aray and only produces, what I think would be under 200KwH and less as we will have less and less daylight hours until March of 2013.

I home we can have an educational discussion on this since there is a lot of interest in solar. However from my experence we are a long, long way from using is a primary power source from a financial standpoint.

Solar panels are today like cellphones were in the late 80s, an emerging technology. My first phone weighed about 6lbs and onl made ad received voice calls. My cellphone today tells me where I am, where I need to be, surfs the web, plays music, ha voice recog. and a bunch of useles fearures and weighs in at 3.2oz.

Imigine what hi-watage panels will look like in 20 years! And you younger people will have a chance to see solar panels do to the electric companies what cell phones did to the telephone commpany monopolies.
CkItOut

Lexington, KY

#3 Oct 17, 2012
Shoot - left out the link:

http://bereautilities.com/...
Citizen

Downers Grove, IL

#4 Oct 17, 2012
So you are saying we would be making a terrible investment in current technology?

My money is on the horse in gate 1: Losing proposition

Buying panels at today's costs with only 15% efficiency, will only pad the pockets of Maced and other employees and consultants.

There will be lots of consultants. I know one who stands to make a lot of money on this deal.
Solarman

Yucca Valley, CA

#5 Oct 17, 2012
CkItOut wrote:
Shoot - left out the link:
http://bereautilities.com/...
If you go to the link and click on the Live Production Statistics it mentions Sharp panels and Fronius IG Inverters. Sharp is an international manufacturer of Solar PV panels, but has a factory that is ARRA qualified in Memphis ,TN. Likewise, Fronius has a manufacturing plant in Indiana. Did the system come from Memphis and Indiana? Doesn't say. One of the links says the program is $750.00 per panel with a minimum of two panel purchase.$1,500.00 in the bank making 0.5% interest or 1,500.00 making electricity to offset one's personal use, what pays back more?
max

Demotte, IN

#6 Oct 28, 2012
Sounds like a commercial to me.
CkItOut

Lexington, KY

#7 Oct 29, 2012
max wrote:
Sounds like a commercial to me.
Even it it were, look on the right side of your screen ->
Does even matter?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Renewable Energy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Former Trump Aide Says Wind and Solar Research ... 1 hr Ben Dover 1
News Ontario Liberals eye electricity market overhau... 4 hr more confusion 1
News State needs to adapt to solar energy, experts say Fri Solarman 1
News Wind and solar power are disrupting electricity... Feb 23 Solarman 1
News Australia To Spend Another $100 Million On Gree... Feb 22 Solarman 1
News Nigerians starved of electricity access turn to... Feb 22 Solarman 1
News Climate change rally Tuesday in downtown San Diego Feb 21 The Great White A... 1
More from around the web