Firms turning solar to help power their establisments

Apr 22, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Sedalia Democrat

Local businesses are moving to solar power as tax incentives and utility company rebates are helping make alternative energy more affordable.

Comments
1 - 6 of 6 Comments Last updated Apr 25, 2011
Well Grounded

Sedalia, MO

#1 Apr 23, 2011
Interesting article.

I support development of alternative energy sources however I wonder if the users of these solar panels would be willing to invest in them if it weren't for the tax incentives and cost shifting through rate rebates.

It seems to me that for this technology to be economically viable for an individual customer, it has to be heavily subsidized by taxpayers and other electricity consumers. That is if you participate, everyone else gets to pick up the tab.

Again, I support alternative energy development and hope to see it succeed, but let's don't all get gushy about what actually amounts to be yet another exercise in social engineering.

If Solar, or Wind or Gerbil power were truly economically viable, they would not need subsidies or rebates to make them attractive to consumers.

Robbing Peter to Pay Paul again is what this appear to be.
Tyrone

United States

#2 Apr 23, 2011
Neither would petroleum....the government pays them billions every year in tax breaks and subsidies that the tax payer fronts. Without them could they stay afloat??
Well Grounded

Sedalia, MO

#3 Apr 23, 2011
Tyrone wrote:
Neither would petroleum....the government pays them billions every year in tax breaks and subsidies that the tax payer fronts. Without them could they stay afloat??
I agree that the government needs to get out of ALL industry sectors. It is not the function of government to subsidize industry or individuals.

The majority of our domestic electricity is generated from coal, not petroleum. I don't know that the coal industry really gets any subsidies, however it would not surprise me if it did. Lobbyists are amazing creatures.

Currently, our "electric" vehicles are actually mostly coal powered when you trace things back. Another shell game that is in action is the whole scam involving buying "green" energy at your location while your next-door neighbor, hooked to the same line in the same grid is buying coal electricity. The fact is here in Sedalia, approximately 87% of our electricity is coal generated and the second leading source is nuclear followed by hydro and way off in the far, far distance come the "green" alternatives.

One clarification I would like to make is that a "tax break" is not spending on the part of government, it is simply a lack of revenue. There seems to be much confusion about the difference between spending and revenues when it comes to the government. Deficits in government budgets occur when spending exceeds revenues. When a private citizen does this his checks bounce, or his credit card debt goes up or he is forced to secure a loan. Apparently when our elected officials get done paying off their supporters and cronies they have the ability to simply print more cash and give it a catchy name like "Quantitative Easing" which is another name for devaluing your dollar.

There is no Constitutional mandate that the government subsidize anything such as energy, healthcare, housing, agriculture, food, employment or any of the multitude of things that they have their fingers in. It simply should not be up to the taxpayers to finance the picking of winners and losers in industry or life in general by bureaucrats or other political hacks, but this is what we currently seem to be doing.

Petroleum, like any viable energy source would be just fine without the taxpayers help. What they can't do without is customers using their product. If you don't like oil, simply don't use it.

If we would just let the free market decide things, we would all have more choice available and could truly pursue happiness.
ACME INC_

United States

#5 Apr 24, 2011
"If we would just let the free market decide things, we would all have more choice available and could truly pursue happiness. " The free market will never work as long as billions are to be made to just keep doing what we have in the past. Change will cost big business big money.

“Be green. Help the planet.”

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#6 Apr 25, 2011
Well Grounded wrote:
Interesting article.
I support development of alternative energy sources however I wonder if the users of these solar panels would be willing to invest in them if it weren't for the tax incentives and cost shifting through rate rebates.
Probably not, which is why the government will probably need to keep subsidizing renewables.
Tyrone

United States

#7 Apr 25, 2011
They subsidize oil and coal.....why not something clean and renewable for a change ???

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Renewable Energy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Costs of coal power plant proposal challenged 5 hr Solarman 1
Research could make solar energy more attractive 10 hr Solarman 2
Solar energy users claim victory as 'sun tax' r... 20 hr Solarman 1
Costs of coal power plant proposal challenged 21 hr Solarman 1
Commercial solar energy seminar upcoming at Per... Fri Claire Reynolds 1
Expert: We must act fast on warming (Sep '08) Fri Fair Game 27,024
Congresswoman Slaughter in Rochester today (Feb '11) Thu Diamond Daisy 11
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••