Expert: We must act fast on warming

Expert: We must act fast on warming

There are 28477 comments on the Kansas.com story from Sep 24, 2008, titled Expert: We must act fast on warming. In it, Kansas.com reports that:

Droughts, melting ice caps and glaciers, rising sea levels and mass extinctions will all be a reality unless the U.S. and the world cut back on carbon emissions dramatically, said James Hansen, director of ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Kansas.com.

gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#26907 May 9, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
I claim, if you let them restrict your CO2 emissions while temperatures are rising, they are certain to restrict the amount of CO2 you can take from the air with your plants when it cools. I'm warning you...
They can have my plants when they pry them from my cold dead fingers....
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#26908 May 9, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Human history is a blink of the eye in the life of the Earth. CO2 has been much higher in the past.
We need to emit more CO2 to bake our bread and light our way. Don't ban combustion because some luddites don't like the weather.
If you have your way, human history will be just a blink of the eye in the life of the Earth.

But we want for our grandchildren to live.

Who told you to use Luddites in a post?
LessHypeMoreFact

Etobicoke, Canada

#26909 May 9, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Human history is a blink of the eye in the life of the Earth.
I always knew that you were a fossil (and about as bright)
Brian_G wrote:
CO2 has been much higher in the past.
Not in the last 4 million years. And the climate four million years ago would have been equally unsuitable for the rise of a technological civilization. That may be why there was so little 'progress' until the last century or so.
Brian_G wrote:
We need to emit more CO2 to bake our bread.
CO2 from yeast is not an issue.
Brian_G wrote:
and light our way.
And electricity doesn't care how it is generated.
Brian_G wrote:
Don't ban combustion because some luddites don't like the weather.
A total non-sequitur. There has been no call to 'ban combustion'. THe issue is pollution from too MUCH CO2 going into the atmsosphere causign a problem with CLIMATE not weather. Weather is based on PROXIMATE CAUSE, not the long term thermodynamic balance.

As usual, BG posts a random collection of misstatements and irrelevancies. One of the LEAST intelligent posts on any issue.

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#26910 May 9, 2013
Have you ever considered that Gaia may have developed mankind SPECIFICALLY to put CO2 back into the atmosphere?
LessHypeMoreFact

Etobicoke, Canada

#26911 May 9, 2013
KitemanSA wrote:
Have you ever considered that Gaia may have developed mankind SPECIFICALLY to put CO2 back into the atmosphere?
No.

And Gaia is a term for the earth as an organism. And like any organism, you can say it has a heart only if you can find one..

The earths ecosystem has no mechanism to 'want' higher CO2 levels or to understand that developing humans would do so. If some sort of intelligence exists in talking to the planet as a 'being' then it would be much more likely that it would choose vulcanism to increase CO2 just as it has several times in the geological record (most of which coincided with massive extermination of species).

If it wants to kill off mankind, that is how it would do it.

Location hidden

#26912 May 10, 2013
Volcanism will only return carbon from limited geological areas. An intelligent tool maker can find it many places, and release it without massive destruction of the surface biosphere (self). Mankind is Gaia's solution to the ice ages, and it doesn't care if the solution lives. It may prefer that its tool dies after serving its purpose. ;)
SpaceBlues

United States

#26913 May 10, 2013
KitemanSA wrote:
Volcanism will only return carbon from limited geological areas. An intelligent tool maker can find it many places, and release it without massive destruction of the surface biosphere (self). Mankind is Gaia's solution to the ice ages, and it doesn't care if the solution lives. It may prefer that its tool dies after serving its purpose. ;)
So you got that out. Do you feel better?

Still wrong!
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#26914 May 10, 2013
A mirror for you doubters...

"...a group of psychologists from the University of Western Australia and the University of Zurich...found that climate change denialists also seem to display two other characteristics; a belief in laissez-faire capitalism and more troublingly, a tendency to espouse conspiracy theories. The correlation of climate change denial with free market capitalism was stronger and not completely unsurprising but the correlation with a conspiratorial mindset is more unexpected and intriguing.

Once free-market ideologues make up their mind that complete government withdrawal from markets is the only way to ensure prosperity, then it’s not surprising to find them inclined to disbelieve even rigorous scientific evidence that would somehow point to more increased government regulation as a solution. This is of course independent of actual government regulation; all that matters is a belief in future government action. Sadly, the study also found that unfettered belief in free markets seems to make deniers skeptical of any scientific consensus involving the government, no matter what the field of study or the level of rigor. Simply put, ideology trumps facts."
Dont drink the koolaid

Eden Prairie, MN

#26915 May 10, 2013
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
And Gaia is a term for the earth as an organism. And like any organism, you can say it has a heart only if you can find one..
The earths ecosystem has no mechanism to 'want' higher CO2 levels or to understand that developing humans would do so. If some sort of intelligence exists in talking to the planet as a 'being' then it would be much more likely that it would choose vulcanism to increase CO2 just as it has several times in the geological record (most of which coincided with massive extermination of species).
If it wants to kill off mankind, that is how it would do it.
Perhaps Gaia has even bigger plans for her creation called "Man". Perhaps saving Her from CO2 Starvation is just the beginning. Perhaps Man will colonize the Moom and breath Life back into Gaia's beloved Daughter, "Luna". Let's see a volcano do that!
Dont drink the koolaid

Eden Prairie, MN

#26916 May 10, 2013
Bernard Forand wrote:
<quoted text>

We can have Faith in our science or not. Personally ; They may be off the mark at times but I’ll will give it a most serious respect. Reduce my CO2...
Perhaps people of reason would do well to reserve "Faith" for their gods and "Skepticism" for their scientists.
Dont drink the koolaid

Eden Prairie, MN

#26917 May 10, 2013
It is a "perhaps" sort of day :-)
SpaceBlues

United States

#26918 May 10, 2013
koolaid is drinking again.
LessHypeMoreFact

Etobicoke, Canada

#26919 May 10, 2013
KitemanSA wrote:
Mankind is Gaia's solution to the ice ages, and it doesn't care if the solution lives. It may prefer that its tool dies after serving its purpose. ;)
You haven't answered the question. Gaia is (near as we can tell) a 'dumb animal'. If you can identify a brain or a heart, please do so. Otherwise, you are evoking religion (belief without data) rather than science (explicable cause and effect)
KitemanSA wrote:
Mankind is Gaia's solution to the ice ages, and it doesn't care if the solution lives. It may prefer that its tool dies after serving its purpose. ;)
If you really studied nature, you would find that nature doesn't 'want' any particular solution. There are birds that sit on sheep and peck holes in their back, spiders that paralyze prey (but not pain nerves) to allow their eggs to eat living creatures. If it shows anything, it shows that Gaia doesn't care. Gaia has no MOTIVE to care about CO2 levels.

So neither motive nor intelligence to make decisions. All you can say is that you BELIEVE because you want to. And that says more about YOU and your anti-science and anti-reason.

Of course, you could be making a joke, but that is hard to do with text media.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#26920 May 10, 2013
Dont drink the koolaid wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps Gaia has even bigger plans for her creation called "Man". Perhaps saving Her from CO2 Starvation is just the beginning. Perhaps Man will colonize the Moom and breath Life back into Gaia's beloved Daughter, "Luna". Let's see a volcano do that!
Maybe Gaia could buy Man a case of beer so he could forget his CO2 obligations.
Bernard Forand

Fort Myers, FL

#26921 May 10, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
Wyoming Coal Mining - A global timelapse of our planet, constructed from Landsat satellite imagery. Watch as mines spread across the surface of Wyoming. Each frame of the timelapse map is constructed from a year of Landsat satellite data, constituting an annual 1.7-terapixel snapshot of the Earth at 30-meter resolution. The Landsat program, managed by the USGS, has been acquiring images of the Earth's surface since 1972. Landsat provides critical scientific information about our changing planet.
http://earthengine.google.org/#intro/WyomingC...
Couldn’t get through to the site. I can imagine it though as I have seen vast stretches in my over the road driving. Talk about disrespect for our geological environment. Sad that there are people living in these devastated areas.
On the bright side. 2012 Wind Energy surpassed, in expansion, coal industry. Coal will soon be retired to the woodbin. Here in Florida we voted the coal out and replaced it with LPG. Solar is starting to kick in. Finally. One new town, we have been fighting for about a decade, is about to be built. It will be all Solar Independent. From the first resident to all commercial properties. Knock, knocking on the oily tycoons mansions door. Give them notice, when lease is up, it will be time for them to move on to some shanty town. Out to the spent coal fields.
Bernard Forand

Fort Myers, FL

#26922 May 10, 2013
KitemanSA wrote:
Kiteman now into mythical atmospheres of reality. That radioactivity must have gotten to him.
Bernard Forand

Fort Myers, FL

#26923 May 10, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>So you got that out. Do you feel better?
Still wrong!
LOL I think you have made Kiteman upset. Notice the vote tallies on this thread and how they changed after Kiteman meandered in. That’s just my theory. Fragrance is familiar.
SpaceBlues

United States

#26924 May 10, 2013
Bernard Forand wrote:
<quoted text>
Couldn’t get through to the site. I can imagine it though as I have seen vast stretches in my over the road driving. Talk about disrespect for our geological environment. Sad that there are people living in these devastated areas.
Try it again. Maybe it got busy.

You see other locations to flip to like Iran. In addition, you can search an area of your interest anywhere.

Good luck.
SpaceBlues

United States

#26925 May 10, 2013
Bernard Forand wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL I think you have made Kiteman upset. Notice the vote tallies on this thread and how they changed after Kiteman meandered in. That’s just my theory. Fragrance is familiar.
Odor?

IMO, there are several deniers behind the curtain judging busily. They are full of anger for some reason.

Location hidden

#26926 May 10, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>So you got that out. Do you feel better?
Still wrong!
Really? Prove it.:p

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Renewable Energy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Senator: Obama Steals From Zika Victims To Fund... 48 min Into The Night 17
News Trust the data: Solar energy benefits everyone 6 hr Solarman 1
News Warren Buffett's NV Energy Is Losing Customers ... 6 hr Solarman 1
News Nebraska utility head recommends closing nuclea... 14 hr Solarman 10
News 3 Energy Storage Technologies to Keep an Eye On 22 hr Solarman 1
News NextEra Hawaiian Electric Pursuit Dims as Oncor... May 25 Solarman 1
News Sweden phases out fossil fuels in attempt to ru... May 25 Solarman 1
More from around the web