Expert: We must act fast on warming

Expert: We must act fast on warming

There are 28477 comments on the Kansas.com story from Sep 24, 2008, titled Expert: We must act fast on warming. In it, Kansas.com reports that:

Droughts, melting ice caps and glaciers, rising sea levels and mass extinctions will all be a reality unless the U.S. and the world cut back on carbon emissions dramatically, said James Hansen, director of ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Kansas.com.

Bernard Forand

Cape Coral, FL

#26702 Apr 2, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Can you cite a compelling experiment for climate change mitigation?
That is for you to discover through your own research and education. No matter what pearls I cast before you, you will not comprehend them.
Then we return to your cycle of callow rhetoric… and no substance….

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#26703 Apr 2, 2013
No citation? Can you name the experimenter or institution? Come on, give us a hint...
PHD

Thornton, TX

#26704 Apr 2, 2013
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't depend on "brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver" to do anything scientific. Even it agrees to this contention.
However, "brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver" takes on himself & has no power to ask questions, receive answers, or use such knowledge for societal advancement. Never did it obtain science or mathematics degrees. Never did it obtain upper class science, chemistry, astronomy, physics, algebra or pre-calc for its poorly earned hi skule DEE-plooomaa.'brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver' has made errors of 1 million TIMES, 1000 TIMES, 3000 TIMES, & 73 million TIMES.
What "brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver" does ask, is what has been known for decades. If its sins weren't worse than its arrogance, "brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver" is silliness personified & it has no intelligence in any science or mathematics. However, beyond silliness, "brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver" is a slimy steenking filthy vile reprobate rooting(& rotting) racist pukey proud pig AND 4-time alleged AND 4-time proud threatener.
More and more that’s all the "pinheadlitesout" have more and more diarrheas.
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

#26705 Apr 2, 2013
'fetid feces face flip flopper fiend' flopped:
admitting my diarrhea problem.......
//////////
litesong wrote:
'fetid feces face flip flopper fiend' can't ask a proper scientific question because it never had science or mathematics degrees, or science, chemistry, astronomy, physics, algebra or pre-calc in its poorly earned hi skule DEE-plooomaa. Of course,'fetid feces face flip flopper fiend' never had any other science or mathematics training.

At least,'brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver' tried math calculations, tho only a few attempts ended in errors of 1 million TIMES, 1000 TIMES, 3000 TIMES & 73 million TIMES.'fetid feces face flip flopper fiend' has never attempted math calculations, which prove that its proficiency in math is worse than that of 'brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver'.
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

#26706 Apr 2, 2013
[QUOTE who="]Can you cite.......?[/QUOTE]

I remember your 4-time alleged threats. Then, there were the 4 proud threats you made, that you gladly admitted to, with no encouragement from me. Then there was your avatar that showed your deep racism & anti-patriotic stance. Yeah, the whole re-pubic-lick-un party liked thet 'un. Of course, the re-pubic-lick-un party showed their racism & anti-patriotic stance.

Yes, I see why you hide out in Germany. The U.S. just don't got no attraction for you.......
SoE

Garden City, ID

#26707 Apr 3, 2013
KitemanSA wrote:
<quoted text>SoE,
LWR plants and LFTR plants are totally different, so converting the first to the second would be impractical. However, since LFTRs have a much smaller footprint than a typical LWR, it should not be difficult to install one on current LWR reservations and at least make use of the grid infrastructure.
Weapons grade materials come from totally separate facilities. It is not practical to make weapons using power reactor Spent Nuclear Fuel. It is even less practical to use material from a LFTR NPP.
I was trying to consolidate some of the functions.
I new there were going to be problems from the beginning and at that time had an intutuive understanding that the problems would
be bad considering health risk...(monitoring Hanford)etc.
Just in terms of the economics of decommissioning and construction of new facilities discounting waste disposal and accompaning health risk this is beginning to appear a first magnitude disaster..
The point that were at now given the fact that the clean-up of Hanford by Bechtel is going so poorly (design on the fly)is going to surpass the national debt..
There are three ways decommission can be accomplished and plants appear to not have the money set aside in some cases....This just get worse and worse....
We will continue to construct weapons fuel regardless of any apposing view.
It just goes on and on...
A gamma ray at the start is identical to a gamma ray now...
Those that are on board with nuclear should be given a free weekend to lounge at the Hanford storage site.
The most interesting understanding of the consequences of nuclear seem to have come from Mayak...
PHD

Thornton, TX

#26708 Apr 3, 2013
SoE wrote:
<quoted text>
Really?..I doubt as quickly as you have been...
Sorry I'm not as quick as you can be but than again it takes time to understand scientific science fiction you and your pals post daily. Got real Science?
PHD

Thornton, TX

#26709 Apr 3, 2013
SoE wrote:
<quoted text>
I was trying to consolidate some of the functions.
I new there were going to be problems from the beginning and at that time had an intutuive understanding that the problems would
be bad considering health risk...(monitoring Hanford)etc.
Just in terms of the economics of decommissioning and construction of new facilities discounting waste disposal and accompaning health risk this is beginning to appear a first magnitude disaster..
The point that were at now given the fact that the clean-up of Hanford by Bechtel is going so poorly (design on the fly)is going to surpass the national debt..
There are three ways decommission can be accomplished and plants appear to not have the money set aside in some cases....This just get worse and worse....
We will continue to construct weapons fuel regardless of any apposing view.
It just goes on and on...
A gamma ray at the start is identical to a gamma ray now...
Those that are on board with nuclear should be given a free weekend to lounge at the Hanford storage site.
The most interesting understanding of the consequences of nuclear seem to have come from Mayak...
Good to see that you can set aside your Son of Entertainment attitude. Excellent post but, NRC requires plant owners to set aside money when the plant is still operating to pay for the future shutdown costs. So where is the money? See why Wind Mills Rule.
SoE

Garden City, ID

#26710 Apr 3, 2013
PHD wrote:
<quoted text>Good to see that you can set aside your Son of Entertainment attitude. Excellent post but, NRC requires plant owners to set aside money when the plant is still operating to pay for the future shutdown costs. So where is the money? See why Wind Mills Rule.
So, where is the money ?
I,m not sure i'm following you here..
NRC requiring set-a-side should mean the owner investors have it..
I guess i can't see the integration 'see why windmills rule"
The power companies have crappy corrupt comptrollers?
SoE

Garden City, ID

#26711 Apr 3, 2013
PHD wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry I'm not as quick as you can be but than again it takes time to understand scientific science fiction you and your pals post daily. Got real Science?
PHD your initials ?

You have provided a bit of humor for my neighbor (recieving his PhD this year)and me...
There are NO pals in science...that is your fiction among others..

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#26712 Apr 3, 2013
SoE wrote:
<quoted text>
Please don't confuse Hanford, a nuclear weapons site, with typical nuclear power plant sites. They are worlds apart. First thing is that Hanford used the PUREX method to extract ultra-pure Plutonium for bombs. PUREX results in a LOT of nasty waste products.
Here in the US, NPPs are required to set aside a certain percentage of their income for decommissioning costs. The Trojan NPP that WAS downriver from Hanford is gone now. Their decommissioning seems to have gone just fine.
What NPPs have is a political issue. They have been paying the FedGov a fee to be used to handle the Spent Nuclear Fuel in a consolidated manner but the FedGov has been dithering for decades.

What COULD be done is to use a variation of something called pyro-processing to segregate the SNF into three pots, the big one being the UNspent Uranium. That can be either vitrified and returned to the earth or reprocessed for LWR fuel. This represents about 95%-97% of the total.

The second pot is Fission Products (~2%-3%). Those can be dry casked for medium term storage (~500 years). Many of the FPs are stable after 10 years and can, if economical, be separated further; reducing the amount that needs to be stored. Some of the radioactive FPs are valuable because of their special radioactive properties. These can also be further separated and thus reduce the storage needed.

The third pot (~1%-2%) is the stuff that Yucca Mountain was intended for. It is comprised of the stuff bred from some of the U238 in the original fuel. These are the "transuranics" including Neptunium, Plutonium, Americium, and Curium. These are nasty and have fairly long half-lives. These would need to be stored or 10s or 100s of thousands of years. However, these can also be put into Liquid Fluoride Thorium Recyclers and burned up.
Bernard Forand

Cape Coral, FL

#26713 Apr 3, 2013

In my observations of radioactive elements and their existence dates back to when we first entered into this realm of energy. Various experiments conducted openly and secretly exposed us to radioactive elements. One example of how we can observe the spread rate and separate it from natural radioactive elements. Let us take Strontium 90 which has ½ life span of 300 years. This was produced with the testing of one particular bomb we will call it the U-Bomb. Only 15 were tested. Strontium 90 was one of its radioactive elements. Deductive reasoning gives us the realization that all the Strontium 90 in our present day atmosphere was man-made. Strontium 90 is of the calcium class. Now consider that at present not one living organism does not contain a portion of this element. I will not go into the various medical factors that this could be affecting other than note the rise in bone marrow cancer from say 60 years ago. Now consider radioactive elements with ½ life times of 20,000 years and their dispersals. Keep in mind the affects of radioactive accumulation that will not be flushed out of living organisms. Dispersal of radioactive elements will be global in virtually all additional contributions. Accident or not.
KitemanSA brings forth one small method for treating one particular radioactive element. There are also chemical processes but neither can address the more ardent radioactive elements. Radioactive desegregation from say U-235 to Plutonium and its various purities are constantly affected only by time.{Note when earth is closest to the sun radioactive elements slow in their radioactivity and increase at a greater distance from the sun. Einstein again proven correct.}
This leaves me with one bottom-line answerer to radioactive elements production, is presently, needs to be extremely limited. For medical and R&D research, BUT not as a source of energy generation. We have not matured our responsibilities to our technology presently. Advancement on Alternative Green Energies would be a prudent course. Future generations, requires us to reign in our intelligence to keep pace with our abilities to contain the responsibilities of wisdom.

All really sensible men agree that the prudent course is to be neither bigoted in our attachment to the old nor rash and unpractical in keeping an open mind for the new, but to make the best of both dispensations.
Bernard Shaw
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

#26714 Apr 3, 2013
KitemanSA wrote:
Please don't confuse Hanford, a nuclear weapons site, with typical nuclear power plant sites.
yeah, I would hope no other nuke plant has radioactive waste entering a river system.
PHD

Thornton, TX

#26715 Apr 3, 2013
SoE wrote:
<quoted text>
PHD your initials ?
You have provided a bit of humor for my neighbor (recieving his PhD this year)and me...
There are NO pals in science...that is your fiction among others..
There are no pals in scientific science fiction. You’re a bit confused again. Yes PHD is my initials and so... All my friends say you provide much humor and it would be no surprise being the Son of Entertainment.A professor said what did they do before Wikipedia? A studnet shouted out Know things.

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#26716 Apr 3, 2013
Bernard Forand wrote:
Let us take Strontium 90 which has ½ life span of 300 years.
Sorry, Sr90 half life is 30 years, not 300.
KitemanSA brings forth one small method for treating one particular radioactive element.
Actually, I discussed a method that can handle all the different elements we would wish to handle. I'm not sure what BF means here.
SoE

United States

#26717 Apr 3, 2013
PHD wrote:
<quoted text>There are no pals in scientific science fiction. You’re a bit confused again. Yes PHD is my initials and so... All my friends say you provide much humor and it would be no surprise being the Son of Entertainment.A professor said what did they do before Wikipedia? A studnet shouted out Know things.
All STUD NETS shout..:-)
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#26718 Apr 3, 2013
SoE wrote:
<quoted text>
Nuts.
:-D
LOL.
SoE

United States

#26719 Apr 3, 2013
KitemanSA wrote:
<quoted text> Please don't confuse Hanford, a nuclear weapons site, with typical nuclear power plant sites. They are worlds apart. First thing is that Hanford used the PUREX method to extract ultra-pure Plutonium for bombs. PUREX results in a LOT of nasty waste products.
Here in the US, NPPs are required to set aside a certain percentage of their income for decommissioning costs. The Trojan NPP that WAS downriver from Hanford is gone now. Their decommissioning seems to have gone just fine.
What NPPs have is a political issue. They have been paying the FedGov a fee to be used to handle the Spent Nuclear Fuel in a consolidated manner but the FedGov has been dithering for decades.
What COULD be done is to use a variation of something called pyro-processing to segregate the SNF into three pots, the big one being the UNspent Uranium. That can be either vitrified and returned to the earth or reprocessed for LWR fuel. This represents about 95%-97% of the total.
The second pot is Fission Products (~2%-3%). Those can be dry casked for medium term storage (~500 years). Many of the FPs are stable after 10 years and can, if economical, be separated further; reducing the amount that needs to be stored. Some of the radioactive FPs are valuable because of their special radioactive properties. These can also be further separated and thus reduce the storage needed.
The third pot (~1%-2%) is the stuff that Yucca Mountain was intended for. It is comprised of the stuff bred from some of the U238 in the original fuel. These are the "transuranics" including Neptunium, Plutonium, Americium, and Curium. These are nasty and have fairly long half-lives. These would need to be stored or 10s or 100s of thousands of years. However, these can also be put into Liquid Fluoride Thorium Recyclers and burned up.

The waste sequestering part of your post i'm familiar with. You have jogged some memories surrounding the rest...
I haven't much time at the moment..i'll be back as soon as i find the time...
PHD

Thornton, TX

#26720 Apr 4, 2013
SoE wrote:
<quoted text>
So stop your shouting...
PHD

Thornton, TX

#26721 Apr 4, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Nuts.
:-D
LOL.
Go away or post your peer reviewed published work. You had plenty of time to prove your scientific science fiction cut and paste babble. To date you have proved zero. You’re dismissed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Renewable Energy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Panel recommends options to reduce aviation car... 8 hr Say It Ain t So Jo 4
News Why home solar panels no longer pay in some sta... 17 hr Solarman 1
News You'll Never Guess Which State Is Building a Re... 18 hr Solarman 3
News Illinois Doesn't Value Exelon's Nuclear Power -... Tue warrengraham 2
News California Wastes Tons Of Wind And Solar Power ... Jul 24 Solarman 1
News The hollow promise of renewable energy Jul 24 Solarman 3
News Boulder hopes to move Xcel off long-term commit... Jul 24 litesong 2
More from around the web