Fire prompts evacuation of Carlsbad n...

Fire prompts evacuation of Carlsbad nuclear repository

There are 32 comments on the KOB-TV story from Feb 5, 2014, titled Fire prompts evacuation of Carlsbad nuclear repository. In it, KOB-TV reports that:

" Emergency crews battled a fire Wednesday at the southeastern New Mexico site where the federal government seals away its low-grade nuclear waste, including plutonium-contaminated clothing and tools.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KOB-TV.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
You would think

Artesia, NM

#1 Feb 6, 2014
Most of us manage to get through life without absent-mindedly letting our vehicles burst into flames. I'm less alarmed about this actual incident than I am at the carelessness it implies.
CBad

Carlsbad, NM

#2 Feb 6, 2014
There are hundreds of vehicle fires around Carlsbad every year. This is no different. Small amount of oil or hydro in the wrong spot can spark up quickly. Happens at the different area mines at least once or more a year. It just doesn't serve their agenda so it doesn't make the news.
Dim Bulb

Carlsbad, NM

#3 Feb 6, 2014
Wat.
BDV

Atlanta, GA

#4 Feb 6, 2014
So a petroleum-powered device bursts in flames, and that's an excuse to stoke antinukular hysteria...
.
Like,..., REALLY?
.
That's ... wow, just wow.
You would think

Artesia, NM

#5 Feb 7, 2014
Okay, so the message here is "Stuff like this catches fire all the time, so not to worry" and "all criticism = hysteria." LOLOL.

Since: Apr 12

Carlsbad, NM

#6 Feb 7, 2014
You would think wrote:
Most of us manage to get through life without absent-mindedly letting our vehicles burst into flames. I'm less alarmed about this actual incident than I am at the carelessness it implies.
No, the message is that it happens more often that you would think and we should all be better prepared for it to happen.
BDV

Decatur, GA

#7 Feb 7, 2014
No, obviously. It's a reminder that petroleum is not free of costs - well beyond the sticker shock at the pump.
But still, funny how such a story about petroleum and its costs get twisted into an occasion for raydeeayshun-scaremongering
Riddick

Carlsbad, NM

#8 Feb 7, 2014
Let me see, nuclear waste dump on fire spewing black smoke, water wells running dry, giant water trucks running amok killing people, bank robberies,post-apocalyptic zombies wandering the streets -
Carlsbad sounds like the setting for a new movie - TERMINATOR DAMNATION!

Since: Apr 12

Carlsbad, NM

#9 Feb 8, 2014
BDV wrote:
No, obviously. It's a reminder that petroleum is not free of costs - well beyond the sticker shock at the pump.
But still, funny how such a story about petroleum and its costs get twisted into an occasion for raydeeayshun-scaremongering
Ummm,...story has nothing to do with petroleum,...but thanks for playing.
Jakeco

Elko, NV

#10 Feb 8, 2014
Riddick wrote:
Let me see, nuclear waste dump on fire spewing black smoke, water wells running dry, giant water trucks running amok killing people, bank robberies,post-apocalyptic zombies wandering the streets -

Carlsbad sounds like the setting for a new movie - TERMINATOR DAMNATION!
Nope.
Just more fodder for typical liberal cowardice.
THE GREEN WATCH DOG

Oklahoma City, OK

#11 Feb 16, 2014
Sounds like a cover up to me. A fire at a nuclear facility. Goes unreported, as the rest of the public in this nation is left in the dark about this story. At least in Russia we are kept informed. Not in New Mexico!
Jakeco

Elko, NV

#12 Feb 16, 2014
THE GREEN WATCH DOG wrote:
Sounds like a cover up to me. A fire at a nuclear facility. Goes unreported, as the rest of the public in this nation is left in the dark about this story. At least in Russia we are kept informed. Not in New Mexico!
I have a good idea exactly what happened.
I worked at the site for 13 years, and still have many friends and acquintances that still do..
Vehicle probably had an electrical short, caught on fire, caused a lot of excitement and a bit of confusion, underground evacuated, end of story.
Not a bit uncommon when you work in heavy industry.
Now, go back to telling your green buddies in the northeast how global warming is gonna get them.
THE GREEN WATCH DOG

Oklahoma City, OK

#13 Feb 16, 2014
Jakeco wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a good idea exactly what happened.
I worked at the site for 13 years, and still have many friends and acquintances that still do..
Vehicle probably had an electrical short, caught on fire, caused a lot of excitement and a bit of confusion, underground evacuated, end of story.
Not a bit uncommon when you work in heavy industry.
Now, go back to telling your green buddies in the northeast how global warming is gonna get them.
That's what you have been told, and have been rehearsing for 13 years of hard labor you monkey! Up the food chain are people that have a much more sinister plot to dispose of extremely high levels of nuclear waste that has been riding along in those fancy trash cans down your highways. I have sources too and some of those people aren't around anymore to speak up. Why do you think they chose one of the most desolate areas in the US back during Reagan's time in office.? Carter knew better and wouldn't have any part of it.
era?
Jakeco

Elko, NV

#14 Feb 16, 2014
THE GREEN WATCH DOG wrote:
<quoted text> That's what you have been told, and have been rehearsing for 13 years of hard labor you monkey! Up the food chain are people that have a much more sinister plot to dispose of extremely high levels of nuclear waste that has been riding along in those fancy trash cans down your highways. I have sources too and some of those people aren't around anymore to speak up. Why do you think they chose one of the most desolate areas in the US back during Reagan's time in office.? Carter knew better and wouldn't have any part of it.
era?
Just like most liberals of your ilk, you resort to name calling in liu of facts.
would you please quote some references here to back up what you say?
Yeah, that's what I thought.
As I said, I have good information as to what I stated, and I DARE you to post FACTS otherwise.
Ledo

Carlsbad, NM

#15 Feb 17, 2014
Global warming is a fact now. Also WIPP just had a radiological event.
That is a fact. We are still waiting to find out cause of it, the extent of it,
and the effects of it.

No arguments or name calling here, just the facts please.
white guy

Hobbs, NM

#16 Feb 17, 2014
Ledo wrote:
Global warming is a fact now. Also WIPP just had a radiological event.
That is a fact. We are still waiting to find out cause of it, the extent of it,
and the effects of it.
No arguments or name calling here, just the facts please.
Radiation in the air will effect all of us! Is it seeping into our water as well? Will we ever be told the truth?
BDV

Atlanta, GA

#17 Feb 17, 2014
Raydee-ayshun will kill us all!
.
Every man for himself!
.
Sauf qui peut!
.
Yada
Yada
Yada
CBad

Carlsbad, NM

#18 Feb 17, 2014
Read up on what leaked. Do your own research. Then you will know the truth. The radiation is in the air underground only. When the sensors detect radiation it switched to filtered air. Meaning the air goes from freely flowing to the surface to going through a [email protected] of filters. There is no danger to anyone on the surface at this time. I bet there isn't really a danger if you were underground. The sensors are set very low and go off easily. When I worked out there they would go off every once in awhile for no reason.
white guy

Hobbs, NM

#19 Feb 17, 2014
CBad wrote:
Read up on what leaked. Do your own research. Then you will know the truth. The radiation is in the air underground only. When the sensors detect radiation it switched to filtered air. Meaning the air goes from freely flowing to the surface to going through a [email protected] of filters. There is no danger to anyone on the surface at this time. I bet there isn't really a danger if you were underground. The sensors are set very low and go off easily. When I worked out there they would go off every once in awhile for no reason.
No idiot, they are responsible for telling the public the truth! The public should be informed without doing their "own research"! Any level of leaking radiation is a threat to the public and should be taken very seriously! Jeez! Get your head out of your a$$!
white guy

Hobbs, NM

#20 Feb 17, 2014
CBad wrote:
Read up on what leaked. Do your own research. Then you will know the truth. The radiation is in the air underground only. When the sensors detect radiation it switched to filtered air. Meaning the air goes from freely flowing to the surface to going through a [email protected] of filters. There is no danger to anyone on the surface at this time. I bet there isn't really a danger if you were underground. The sensors are set very low and go off easily. When I worked out there they would go off every once in awhile for no reason.
By the way, if sensors are going off for no reason then how safe and reliable are they? We all could be in grave danger!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nuclear Energy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Nuclear power divides California's environmenta... Tue Solarman 1
News Companies move forward on nuclear waste storage... Aug 20 just sayin 5
News Letter: Renewables more efficient, less costly,... Aug 5 Solarman 1
News Russia May Replace Belarus' Nuclear Reactor aft... Aug 1 warrengraham 1
News Illinois Doesn't Value Exelon's Nuclear Power -... Jul 26 warrengraham 2
News The hollow promise of renewable energy Jul '16 Solarman 3
News The Latest: Land officials OK closing nuclear s... Jul '16 warrengraham 2
More from around the web