China gives green light to mega dam

China gives green light to mega dam

There are 5 comments on the MediaGuardian.co.uk story from Feb 1, 2011, titled China gives green light to mega dam. In it, MediaGuardian.co.uk reports that:

Hydroelectric power company Huadian will build a cascade of 13 dams in the spectacular "Grand Canyon of the Orient" A woman of the stands beside the Salween river.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at MediaGuardian.co.uk.

Sustainable Future

Istanbul, Turkey

#1 Feb 2, 2011
Actually building these dams are a right thing. It is much better than 1 coal plant per week. In my opinion nature will have the ability to adapt to the new circumstances, much better than global warming, 140 GW of new hydroelectric power means 140 coal fired plants, which are not to be built. Nobody has to forget this. If we really want to prevent similar problems in future, we have to think what we personally can contribute to the nature, by insulating our house, by building PV systems, by buying locally, by preventing overpopulation, by transforming our vehicles to flex fuel, by using the bike instead of the car, ... Especially buying local goods will save a lot of energy used for transportation and provide that these goods are produced less energy intense (especially for Europe), since efficiencies are better and to some extend alternative energy is used for the production of these goods. We should not prevent green projects, by opposing them. Each person should have projects on a weekly and yearly base to give her/his contribution for the nature at home, in the internet, by convincing friends for their contribution, at their jobs, in their garden, in their car... If we really want to do something this is the right way.
little pissed

AOL

#2 Feb 13, 2011
I question how long before silt makes this "cascade" of dams usless. Past experiance shows many such dams are effective for a much shorter time then expected.
uIdiotRacesMakeW orldPeace

Santa Clara, CA

#3 Feb 13, 2011
little pissed wrote:
I question how long before silt makes this "cascade" of dams usless. Past experiance shows many such dams are effective for a much shorter time then expected.
It better dependence and got to wars to plunder for essential raw resources like Oil that only make enemy(s) and if look waht happen to US with so many enemies.
uIdiotRacesMakeW orldPeace

Santa Clara, CA

#4 Feb 13, 2011
not got but ' goto..."

“Be green. Help the planet.”

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#5 Mar 24, 2011
Dams are important for renewable energy to grow. I love nature and animals but let's face it, unfortunately there's some kind of collateral damage with renewable energy. It's birds for wind turbines, land for solar and so on and so forth. However, we always have to be looking at the bigger picture. And I agree with Sustainable Future - wildlife displaced by renewable energy can adapt.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hydroelectric Power Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Coal rebounds, but winds of change blow (Aug '17) Aug '17 Solarman 1
News TVA customers expected to see savings in June s... (May '17) Jun '17 Savings 32
News Australia to expand hydropower project to addre... (Mar '17) Mar '17 Solarman 1
News Half of Ohio city's energy to come from water a... (May '16) May '16 Solarman 1
News Fitch Rates American Muni Power Greenup Project... (Apr '16) Apr '16 ron ward 1
News Board to vote on purchase of Mine Falls hydroel... (Dec '15) Dec '15 jstrong196 1
News Colorado's big coal-burning utilities take a tu... (Apr '15) Apr '15 Solarman 1
More from around the web