Hawaii Tries Green Tools in Remaking Power Grids

Sep 16, 2009 Full story: New York Times 11

Two miles or so from this tiny town in the southernmost corner of the United States, across ranches where cattle herds graze beneath the distant Mauna Loa volcano , the giant turbines of a new wind farm cut through the air.

Read more
LessHypeMoreFact

Etobicoke, Canada

#1 Sep 16, 2009
“This transformation is going to take a generation,” said Ted Liu, director of the state economic development department.“There are no short-term easy solutions.”

Truer words were never spoken. It will be a generational shift as the frightened fossils die off and new ideas take over. Hawaii is certainly a place where many different forms of green energy are available with no oil or coal deposits. It makes sense that it would lead the way.
Southern B

Spartanburg, SC

#2 Sep 16, 2009
It is funny that on the east coast it is West Virginia that leads the way in wind energy given its enormous reserves of coal and natural gas. The more liberal states in the north east are resisting putting them up. Unfortunately maintance costs have been high. When I was up there in August it was the first time I have seen all the blades turning. Usually the wind blows so hard that a lot of them shut down.
LessHypeMoreFact

Etobicoke, Canada

#3 Sep 16, 2009
Southern B wrote:
It is funny that on the east coast it is West Virginia that leads the way in wind energy..
Most development of wind power in the U.S. is in Texas, center of the oil industry. I guess those that produce that pollution don't want to have to live in it..

Makes Hawaii even more of an example of common sense energy policy.
Southern B

Spartanburg, SC

#4 Sep 16, 2009
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
Most development of wind power in the U.S. is in Texas, center of the oil industry. I guess those that produce that pollution don't want to have to live in it..
Makes Hawaii even more of an example of common sense energy policy.
Not true of West Virginia. There are two coal power plants in the area. They produce the power for DC. Interesting enough, my dad's farm between those power plants has tremendous growth rate in his trees. While I can not argue your point about Hawaii, you missed my point of the folks who call the loudest for green energy do not want it in their back yards or off their coast lines. It certainly makes sense to produce electricity close to the areas that use it.
truthist

Katy, TX

#5 Sep 16, 2009
Southern B wrote:
<quoted text>
Not true of West Virginia. There are two coal power plants in the area. They produce the power for DC. Interesting enough, my dad's farm between those power plants has tremendous growth rate in his trees. While I can not argue your point about Hawaii, you missed my point of the folks who call the loudest for green energy do not want it in their back yards or off their coast lines. It certainly makes sense to produce electricity close to the areas that use it.
CNN says today: Earth's oceans had warmest summer on record

Summer temperatures for the globe's ocean surface ranked as the warmest on record, according to a report released Wednesday by the National Climatic Data Center.

Overall, when the Earth's land areas and oceans are included together, the three-month June-August period measured as the third-warmest summer on record. Global climate records go back to 1880.

Climatologists measure summer from June 1 to Aug. 31. The climate center is a branch of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).

"During the season, warmer-than-average temperatures engulfed much of the planet's surface," the center wrote in an online report. One exception to the warmth was the north-central USA and central Canada, which had an unusually cool summer due to a persistent trough of low pressure that kept the area cloudy and cool.

The ocean's summer temperature was 62.5 degrees, 1 degree above the 20th-century average of 61.5 degrees.

The cause of the warmth? Deke Arndt, chief of the climate monitoring branch at the climate center, says it's due to a combination of man-made global warming and El Nino, a natural periodic warming of the tropical Pacific Ocean that affects weather around the world. "Each of those is a component in this summer's temperatures, he said.

"If El Nino continues to mature as projected by NOAA, global temperatures are likely to continue to threaten previous record highs," noted the center's report.

What really jumped out at Arndt, he says, was the heat in the Southern Hemisphere. "The warmth in Australia and South America in August was striking," he says. "Land areas in the Southern Hemisphere in August broke their previous record by a large amount."

Overall, it was the second-warmest winter on record in the Southern Hemisphere.(June-August is winter in the Southern Hemisphere.)

Additionally, according to the National Snow and Ice Data Center, Arctic sea ice covered an average of 2.42 million square miles during August. This is 18.4% below the 1979-2000 average extent and is consistent with a decline of August sea ice extent since 1979.
http://www.usatoday.com/weather/climate/2009-...
Southern B

Boone, NC

#7 Sep 16, 2009
truthist wrote:
<quoted text>CNN says today: Earth's oceans had warmest summer on record
Summer temperatures for the globe's ocean surface ranked as the warmest on record, according to a report released Wednesday by the National Climatic Data Center.
Overall, when the Earth's land areas and oceans are included together, the three-month June-August period measured as the third-warmest summer on record. Global climate records go back to 1880.
Climatologists measure summer from June 1 to Aug. 31. The climate center is a branch of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).
"During the season, warmer-than-average temperatures engulfed much of the planet's surface," the center wrote in an online report. One exception to the warmth was the north-central USA and central Canada, which had an unusually cool summer due to a persistent trough of low pressure that kept the area cloudy and cool.
The ocean's summer temperature was 62.5 degrees, 1 degree above the 20th-century average of 61.5 degrees.
The cause of the warmth? Deke Arndt, chief of the climate monitoring branch at the climate center, says it's due to a combination of man-made global warming and El Nino, a natural periodic warming of the tropical Pacific Ocean that affects weather around the world. "Each of those is a component in this summer's temperatures, he said.
"If El Nino continues to mature as projected by NOAA, global temperatures are likely to continue to threaten previous record highs," noted the center's report.
What really jumped out at Arndt, he says, was the heat in the Southern Hemisphere. "The warmth in Australia and South America in August was striking," he says. "Land areas in the Southern Hemisphere in August broke their previous record by a large amount."
Overall, it was the second-warmest winter on record in the Southern Hemisphere.(June-August is winter in the Southern Hemisphere.)
Additionally, according to the National Snow and Ice Data Center, Arctic sea ice covered an average of 2.42 million square miles during August. This is 18.4% below the 1979-2000 average extent and is consistent with a decline of August sea ice extent since 1979.
http://www.usatoday.com/weather/climate/2009-...
The topic was wind mills. Do you not approve of them or are you just a spammer?
truthist

Katy, TX

#8 Sep 16, 2009
Southern B wrote:
<quoted text>
The topic was wind mills. Do you not approve of them or are you just a spammer?
The topic had expanded into energy options like oil, gas, coal.. before I posted. The title mentions 'green' and power grids.. thus the relevant news on global climate. If you don't get its connection already, you need to study our interest in alternative energies such as the wind energy. But first read the article I posted for context. It is your world too.

“EnvironMENTAList ”

Since: Feb 07

Near Detroit

#9 Sep 17, 2009
truthist wrote:
<quoted text>The topic had expanded into energy options like oil, gas, coal.. before I posted. The title mentions 'green' and power grids.. thus the relevant news on global climate. If you don't get its connection already, you need to study our interest in alternative energies such as the wind energy. But first read the article I posted for context. It is your world too.
Remember this day fellow deniers. The theory is dead:
Sept.15/09
“Scientists pull a temporary about-face on global warming”
Prof. Mojib Latif is one of the leading climate modelers in the world and a lead author for the (IPCC). He has contributed significantly to the IPCC's last two five-year reports that have stated unequivocally that man-made greenhouse emissions are causing the planet to warm dangerously.
Yet last week in Geneva, at the UN's World Climate Conference, Latif conceded the Earth has not warmed for nearly a decade and that we are likely entering "one or even two decades during which temperatures cool."
-* It’s all over the news services so don’t blame Exxon for this one.*
Latif pointed out, the Atlantic, and particularly the North Atlantic, has been cooling instead. And it looks set to continue a cooling phase for 10 to 20 more years.
"How much?" he said before the assembled delegates.
"The jury is still out."
This is the latest science, from the IPCC itself and from one of their leading scientist to boot.
Are you warmies still in line despite this?
Gord

Calgary, Canada

#10 Sep 17, 2009
Looks like all the CO2 produced by the Mauna Loa volcano is taking it's toll.

The only 'rational' ones are using the "small power plant" that extracts heat from the volcanic rock beneath it to generate electricity.....constantly.

The AGW'er nuts (who are probably the ones making the CO2 measurements on the Mauna Loa volcano) are the ones trying to develop wind and solar power on an active volcano.

How STUPID can they get?
LessHypeMoreFact

Etobicoke, Canada

#11 Sep 17, 2009
Gord wrote:
Looks like all the CO2 produced by the Mauna Loa volcano is taking it's toll.
How STUPID can they get?
Basaltic volcanoes do not have much gas in them. That is why they tend to produce a very liquid flowing lava ( watch some documentaries).
Note that it does produce a very tiny amount but this is downwind of the measurements which track the emissions plume to avoid contamination. That this works can be easily seen by comparing the levels reported by Mauna Loa vs those reported in other stations.
As to how stupid you can get, we will find out as you continue to spew total drivel.
Gord

Calgary, Canada

#12 Sep 17, 2009
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
Basaltic volcanoes do not have much gas in them. That is why they tend to produce a very liquid flowing lava ( watch some documentaries).
Note that it does produce a very tiny amount but this is downwind of the measurements which track the emissions plume to avoid contamination. That this works can be easily seen by comparing the levels reported by Mauna Loa vs those reported in other stations.
As to how stupid you can get, we will find out as you continue to spew total drivel.
Gee, I thought you said Mauna Loa was an "extinct crater"
http://www.topix.com/forum/news/global-warmin...

AGW'ers are so STUPID!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Biomass Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News UK's a 46 billion bid for EIB nuclear loan Dec '14 Clear Dharma 1
News Willow trees are cost-efficient cleaners of con... Dec '14 Stephany McDowell 1
News VIASPACE and Tibbar Energy USVI Report Progress... Oct '14 Laura 1
News Ashburnham-Westminster schools chief suggests n... (Sep '14) Sep '14 Joe 1
News Plans for A 80m biomass plant at for MOD site a... (Jul '14) Jul '14 Lyn Bleakley 1
News Battelle to join Sault's smart energy strategy (Jun '14) Jun '14 Crow 1
News Questions raised about politics, policy behind ... (Mar '14) May '14 Reality 6
More from around the web