Advanced biofuels will stoke global w...

Advanced biofuels will stoke global warming: Study

There are 10 comments on the Canada.com story from May 8, 2010, titled Advanced biofuels will stoke global warming: Study. In it, Canada.com reports that:

A picture taken in Jul. 2006 shows detaching icebergs in Iceland's Vatnajokull glacier as they move towards the sea.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Canada.com.

LessHypeMoreFact

Woodstock, Canada

#1 May 8, 2010
Another faulty 'scare tactic' cost analysis. The clues are in the assumptions and result in "GIGO" output.

"That is because the land required to plant fast-growing poplar trees and tropical grasses would displace food crops."

Not true. Likely it will be in land that is too marginal for crops. It may affect cattle feed as open grassland may be used if the price is better.

"Biofuel crops also require nitrogen fertilisers...

Again crap. Likely hte cropland will be rotated or species of nitrogen fixing bacterial developed for their roots. Fertilizer is too expensive for cellulose crops which are mainly designed for fast growth of pure cellulose, not proteins (which need the nitrogen)

Like I say. Garbage In. Garbage Out.

And easily detected garbage at that. But still publishable because it doesn't include MISTAKES in the math, just in the 'scenario'.
Gord

Calgary, Canada

#2 May 8, 2010
The Bio-fuel disaster should never have happened.

All that we can do now is to try and stop the AGW Cult from killing even more people.

Charges of Crimes Against Humanity should be applied to the AGW CULT CRIMINALS.

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#3 May 9, 2010
They burn food, to assuage their fossil fuel use guilt. Then poor children starve, while they drive by. They shouldn't be trusted with energy policy, they've stunted our economy, far too long.
Earthling

Hellín, Spain

#4 May 9, 2010
Biofuel was a good idea at the time, but that was a long time ago and it's time to give up on it unless better production methods are found soon.
In 1898, peanut oil was used, so it's nothing new.

“Denying those who deny nature”

Since: Jun 07

Norfolk va

#5 May 9, 2010
Another case of I told you so for all those in love with biofuels. Of course lets not forget that the stuff they want to turn into biofuels will either be using material that we already use for other things or using the land to grow thier crops that are already used to grow other things.

The last time that biofuels was truely practical it was because it was horse feed. But then again the hrses were releasing methane so even then it was contributing to GHG emissions.
LessHypeMoreFact

Woodstock, Canada

#6 May 9, 2010
Well, I see that the 'Gang of Four' is alive and well and 'tuning up' their feeble message of denial and despair.
Earthling

Hellín, Spain

#7 May 9, 2010
Are you feeling lonesome, LessFact?

Never mind, you scientific brothers, Swampmud, caveman, confussing and others will no doubt be along shortly to give you their support.
LessHypeMoreFact

Woodstock, Canada

#8 May 9, 2010
Earthling wrote:
Are you feeling lonesome, LessFact?
Never mind, you scientific brothers, Swampmud, caveman, confussing and others will no doubt be along shortly to give you their support.
Not at all. No mob ever defeated facts and organised scientific thought. They can, at best, drown it out with screams and loud mind farts for a short while. It is almost admirable in a pathetic sort of way.
Earthling

Hellín, Spain

#9 May 9, 2010
No, "mob" here, kiddo, just me, Mrs E, the cats and a dog.
LessHypeMoreFact

Woodstock, Canada

#10 May 9, 2010
Earthling wrote:
No, "mob" here, kiddo, just me, Mrs E, the cats and a dog.
And Gordo, and BG and Tina Ann and ... A true mob with many typing fingers and no brain..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Biomass Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bill supporting renewable energy advances Apr '17 Solarman 1
News Scientists harness solar power to produce clean... (Mar '17) Mar '17 Solarman 1
News Biomass, no-till could play major role in limit... (Feb '17) Feb '17 maybe 1
News More UK electricity 'from wind turbines than co... (Jan '17) Jan '17 Solarman 1
News Costa Rica Ran On Renewable Energy For Over 250... (Jan '17) Jan '17 Solarman 1
News Claim: Reservoirs play substantial role in glob... (Oct '16) Nov '16 Earthling-1 4
News The ethanol in your gas tank should come from a... (May '16) Jul '16 longtail 3
More from around the web