Mass. rethinking emphasis on wood bur...

Mass. rethinking emphasis on wood burning plants

There are 5 comments on the WHDH story from Nov 8, 2009, titled Mass. rethinking emphasis on wood burning plants. In it, WHDH reports that:

The Patrick administration is rethinking its support of wood-burning power plants, a key element of its long-term strategy to wean Massachusetts off fossil fuels.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WHDH.

frank miller

United States

#1 Nov 9, 2009
Surely the Massachussets Institute of Technology
Chemical Engineers can figure out how to recycle
the CO2, and water vapor from their fossil fuel burning power plants by partially catalytically
reducing carbon dioxide to methane , ethane, propane and butane, and feed them back into the
furnace steam turbine generators!!
My God during the 2 World Wars many ingenious
ways to distill coal fuel derivatives were formally recorded in the Chemical literatures!
Surely some processes in reducing carbon dioxide to CH4, C2H6, C3H8 & C4H10 must have been tried
from carbon monoxide {CO} and then the alkanes!
F.M.
frank miller

United States

#2 Nov 9, 2009
Continuation of my #1 post: Here is a classic
possible endothermic reaction: CO2[gas]+2H2O[liq]
...CH4[gas]+ 2O2 [gas] Delta H =+212.798 kcal.
So if its an endothermic {heat absorbing} reaction
than heat + catalyst should accelerate it, MIT!?
F.M.
gladius

Amherst, MA

#3 Nov 9, 2009
frank miller wrote:
Continuation of my #1 post: Here is a classic
possible endothermic reaction: CO2[gas]+2H2O[liq]
...CH4[gas]+ 2O2 [gas] Delta H =+212.798 kcal.
So if its an endothermic {heat absorbing} reaction
than heat + catalyst should accelerate it, MIT!?
F.M.
FWIW, that e-vile CO2 is NOT toxic waste but rather a life giving substance that supports every single photosynthesis process on earth. Higher concentrations of it would benefit them all, and we who are hooked on oxygen would enjoy the byproduct of that photosynthesis.
Tony

Tewksbury, MA

#4 Nov 9, 2009
Are you guys from that tv show, The Big Bang?
SubLiterate

Clockville, NY

#5 Nov 10, 2009
frank miller wrote:
Surely the Massachussets Institute of Technology
Chemical Engineers can figure out how to recycle
the CO2, and water vapor from their fossil fuel burning power plants by partially catalytically
reducing carbon dioxide to methane , ethane, propane and butane, and feed them back into the
furnace steam turbine generators!!
My God during the 2 World Wars many ingenious
ways to distill coal fuel derivatives were formally recorded in the Chemical literatures!
Surely some processes in reducing carbon dioxide to CH4, C2H6, C3H8 & C4H10 must have been tried
from carbon monoxide {CO} and then the alkanes!
F.M.
Frank, the issue is cost. Coal quickly becomes unprofitable if you need to put the processes that reduce/redirect CO2 emmissions in place. And the 'Coal Lobby' can't have that...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Biomass Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The ethanol in your gas tank should come from a... Jul 29 longtail 3
News Rise in Alaska Wildfires is Worsening Global Wa... Jun '16 IB DaMann 9
News Africa - " the next clean energy powerhouse? Mar '16 Solarman 1
News Last-Ditch Assaults on Affordable Energy Mar '16 Solarman 1
News Time to Break Our 'Addiction' to Fossil Fuels? (Feb '16) Feb '16 Earthling-1 2
News Iowa researchers seek to transform nation's ene... (Jan '16) Jan '16 Solarman 1
News Clean energy expanding even when fossil fuels a... (Jan '16) Jan '16 Solarman 1
More from around the web