Newly installed wind turbines idled by Minnesota's winter

Full story: TwinCities.com

Last year, about a dozen Minnesota communities dreamed of clean, green energy: spinning windmills powering hundreds of homes.
Comments
2,541 - 2,560 of 2,893 Comments Last updated Nov 7, 2013
MMPA Mills

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2011

TOTAL current production for ALL 12 MMPA whirlygigs is about 150 kwhs.

That would power about 30 houses OR 1/3 the advertized number that PolarMill was supposed to power.

ARE YOU KIDDING MMPA??????????

Any more lies for the sheep?
MMPA Mills

Prior Lake, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2011

Judged:

ALL MMPA whirlygigs are producing abut 130 Kwhs.

Which would power about 25 houses. Not quite what taxpayers were told.
MMPA Mills

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2011

Judged:

Hey Kwhs for ALL whirlygigs is up to about 160 Kwhs.

That would power about 35 houses.

Again NOT quite up to the promise of 110 houses for ONE whirlygig.

What a waste of money.
MMPA Mills

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2011

Hang out the flag!!!

ALL the MMPA whirlygigs are producing about 200 Kwhs. That would power 40 houses or close to what Polarmill was touted to power ALL BY ITSELF!!

So on a banner day the entire MMPA fleet of whirlygigs is producing, DRUM ROLL, 1/24 of what it was advertized to produce.

That my friends is about as good as it gets.

40 houses powered by $4,000,000 worth of whirlygigs. Not to mention the cost of maintaining the whirlygigs. YOU can figure out the cost of each Kwh. I'll bet it is not a price anyone would be willing to pay for.

Jon24

Spotsylvania, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2011

MMPA Mills wrote:
Hey Kwhs for ALL whirlygigs is up to about 160 Kwhs.
That would power about 35 houses.
Again NOT quite up to the promise of 110 houses for ONE whirlygig.
What a waste of money.
not to mention bird deaths
Jon24

Spotsylvania, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2011

Polar names wrote:
<quoted text>
The City started the Polarxxxxx when it named the wonderful fiberoptic project "PolarNet". What's wrong with simply applying the naming scheme to other subjects?
My understanding is Jon (whomever he is) is NOT the only person posting out here. I'll bet further that Jon may not be using ANY of the Polarxxxx names.
I'd also say the City of North Saint Paul is having a difficult time accepting/understanding the impact of this thread. IF I worked for the city of NSP in any capacity I'd read everything posted out here very carefully, is it a light at the other end of the tunnel OR a trains headlight?
I've posted twice to this topic, I don't live in Minn, and have every right to post in ANY blog! Go Nuke! SAVE money, create jobs with a source you can count on... Just sayiing
nonsense

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2011

Judged:

Have noticed on the MMPA wesite that the city of East Grand Forks for over a week has produced zero, nada, niente electricity. The castoff clunker must have broken down. Always check this one because it has the highest one time production figure.

Paid my Xcel electricity bill today for my Wisconsin cabin. In the bill was a brochure touting the offer to sell "Windsource" power for an extra $1.37 per 100 kWh.

This is said to be a good thing because you would be supporting:
Renewable energy that takes advantage of abundant natural resources.
Job creation, increased property tax revenue for rural communities, and steady income for local landowners.

On the back of the form is a disclosure that all Wisconsin wind generated electricity in 2010 and for 20111 will come from Minnesota.

Let's see, if a WI resident wants to get the good feeling of buying green, they will be guaranteeing these great financial benefits to the state of Minnesota? Sounds like a hard sell to me. But as P.T. Barnum said.....
Owl Gore

Monroe, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2011

Judged:

Solar Panels Rise Pole by Pole, Followed by Gasps of ‘Eyesore’

ORADELL, N.J.— Nancy and Eric Olsen could not pinpoint exactly when it happened or how. All they knew was one moment they had a pastoral view of a soccer field and the woods from their 1920s colonial-style house; the next all they could see were three solar panels.

A utility lineman installing a solar panel for PSE&G in Totowa, N.J. The utility is mounting 200,000 individual panels.

"Oil prices are going through the roof, planet is being destroyed by power plants and these people who were given access to sustainable energy are complaining about the view. Attitudes need to change or we're doomed."

“I hate them,” Mr. Olsen, 40, said of the row of panels attached to electrical poles across the street.“It’s just an eyesore.”

(Excerpt)

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/28/science/ear...

$515 million/6,500 homes is $79,230 per home. The average NJ home uses about $2,500 worth electricity a year. Payback is only 30 YEARS (with 0% interest)...

That’s assuming not one single penny is invested in upkeep/repair.

At the end of the article: Correction: April 30, 2011
"An article on Thursday about the reaction of New Jersey residents to the installation of solar panels on utility poles omitted the time required for one panel to produce enough energy to light four 60-watt bulbs around the clock for six weeks. It is one year, according to Public Service Electric & Gas, the utility installing the panels. "

this tries to make it complex to hide the numbers. To put it more simply:

The solar panels produce enough energy to continuously light a single 20 watt light bulb.

In other words, they don't even produce enough energy to light the street lamp they are attached to!

But the gubmint is paying for it (either by a direct subsidy or huge tax break), so they'll put them up.

these people are morons.
Marty

Chandler, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2011

Owl Gore wrote:
Solar Panels Rise Pole by Pole, Followed by Gasps of ‘Eyesore’
this tries to make it complex to hide the numbers. To put it more simply:
The solar panels produce enough energy to continuously light a single 20 watt light bulb.
In other words, they don't even produce enough energy to light the street lamp they are attached to!
But the gubmint is paying for it (either by a direct subsidy or huge tax break), so they'll put them up.
these people are morons.
No they are not. hey are simply everyday ,ordinary liberals. We have seen the future and they are them.

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2011

So Marty which state do you live in? The state of Stubidity?

Your IP changer makes it obvious who you are. If you want to debate, do that, if you want to just be a liar and pain go do it somewhere else.

As Jon you said you don't live in this state...

why spam? And your not even good at that.

Then you prentend your on "our" side. Come on.

Your not very smart dude.
MMPA Mills

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2011

ALL of the MMPA whirlygigs added up right now are producing 0 (ZERO) Kwhs.

Boy is this sheet is reliable!!!

Since: May 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2011

Oh, that's really sad. But why do they decide to set them up in winter?? They should have checked for the ideal weather and installed it right?? In order to get Sunfusion Solar energy, weather should be checked.. Why are the authorities so careless about it?
Rob Meablind

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2011

Why are the authorities so careless? Do you mean City leaders and planners? or are you refering to your whacko liberal Marxian Commie thugocrats that you elected? Like OBAMA.

If you EVEN have to ask the question--Your a SHEEP.

Your a GLOBAL WARMING believer right? Come on.

"There is no global warming, just global stupidity"- Rick Peterson

North Saint Paul News.

I visited your other 14 threads. Are you a LIBERAL or a RATIONAL MINDED person.

We have problems on our little thread here with LIBERALS.
SunFusion Solar wrote:
Oh, that's really sad. But why do they decide to set them up in winter?? They should have checked for the ideal weather and installed it right?? In order to get Sunfusion Solar energy, weather should be checked.. Why are the authorities so careless about it?
Rob Meablind

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2011

Busted.
Polarmill

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2011

Judged:

SunFusion Solar wrote:
North Saint Paul authorities installed a wind turbine at a site rated 2 on a scale of 1-10 where 10 is the best site.

Authorities have ignorant agendas with no consideration of common sense OR technical merit.

Also the wind turbines installed in NSP and other MMPA cities are bird killers and that is why they were de-installed from a windfarm in California. Does the MMPA care about bird deaths? i guess NOT!
Directional Energy

Orange, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2011

DIRECTIONAL ENERGY CORPORATION

Wind Turbine Manufacturer | Hydro Turbine Manufacturer
UL Certified | California Energy Commission Approved
Vertical Axis Wind Turbines | Hydro Turbines
Zero Cogging Generators

5 KW Vertical Axis Wind Turbine
10 KW Vertical Axis Wind Turbine
25 KW Vertical Axis Wind Turbine
50 KW Vertical Axis Wind Turbine
100 KW Vertical Axis Wind Turbine
150 KW Vertical Axis Wind Turbine
250 KW Vertical Axis Wind Turbine

100 KW Hydro Turbines
250 KW Hydro Turbines
500 KW Hydro Turbines

www.directionalenergy.com
MMPA Mills

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2011

Judged:

TOTAL current production for ALL 12 MMPA whirlygigs is about 150 kwhs...

That would power about 30 houses OR 1/3 the advertized number that PolarMill was supposed to power.

MMPA Mills

Prior Lake, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2011

Judged:

TOTAL current production for ALL 12 MMPA whirlygigs is about 300 kwhs...

That would power about 60 houses OR 1/3 the advertized number that PolarMill was supposed to power.

While a high number of Kwhs for the MMPA whirlygigs the number of houses powered would be 1/2 of the promised number for Polarmill in itself!!

If 60 houses is a good average production for ALL of the MMPA whirlygigs that would mean the TOTAL value of the entire MMPA whirlygigs would be $60,000, on average a house spends $1,000 a year on electricity.

The cost of the 12 whirlygigs was $300,000 each or $4,000,000 total. Installation and startup was probably $100,000 each or $1,200,000. Of course annual maintenance on a whirlygig MUST be at least $20,000 totalling $240,000.

SOOOO the MMPA borrowed $5,200,000 to get them installed and pay $240,000 every year in order to generate $60,000 worth of electricity.

Of course that is assuming the MMPA whirlygigs CAN PROVIDE ELECTRICITY for those 60 houses. If you view the power produced by the MMPA whirlygigs it is CLEARLY OBVIOUS there is NO WAY the MMPA whirlygigs can provide the needed power for 60 houses. Without electricity from coal and nuke power plants these whirlygigs would be useless.

Rob Meablind

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2011

Judged:

Junk...

Just for show and mandate compliance. They write the losses off on taxes.

If they were making money, the city would be calling the Review to announce a parade down 36.

The turbines have scheduled maintenence just like an air plane. It's not cheap.

Then break downs have to be considered, which would be high risk on this old worn out machines, commone sense.

No one care though...sad that people only care when the airplane crashes in their yard.

That's the world we live in.

But never quit, never surrender for those who believe in the truth, and that truth must be told.

If we sit back and be idle, the monster will come and it will destroy you.

Do you know any monsters?
MMPA Mills

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2011

Judged:

TOTAL current production for ALL 12 MMPA whirlygigs is about 150 kwhs...

As a funder of MMPA by buying MMPA electrcity there is NO WAY these whirlygigs were a good investment and they have increased my expenses of living in North Saint Paul.

A good thing would be to de-install the Polarmill!

If it isn't de-installed my good money will continue to be spent on bad money!!

North Saint Paul: get off your dumb arse and get rid of the whirlygig NOW!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••