Prairies vanish in U.S. push for gree...

Prairies vanish in U.S. push for green energy

There are 9 comments on the Missourian story from Nov 17, 2013, titled Prairies vanish in U.S. push for green energy. In it, Missourian reports that:

Robert Malsam nearly went broke in the 1980s when corn was cheap. So now that prices are high and he can finally make a profit, he's not about to apologize for ripping up prairie land to plant corn.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Missourian.

LessHypeMoreFact

Orleans, Canada

#1 Nov 17, 2013
It is NOT 'prarie land'. It is land banked FARMLAND.

Yes, we need more land in production today so it only makes sense to FARM it instead of sipping pina colada's while collecting government cheques for NOT farming..

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#2 Nov 18, 2013
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
It is NOT 'prarie land'. It is land banked FARMLAND.
Yes, we need more land in production today so it only makes sense to FARM it instead of sipping pina colada's while collecting government cheques for NOT farming..
Do you have any understanding of prairies, prairie ecosystems and the wildlife that need large undisturbed tracts of native prairie to survive?

No, we do not need more land in production. We need less waste of what already is in production! Furthermore, we need to reestablish native prairies whenever and whereever we can before it's too late and we lose what's left of our prairie wildlife.

http://www.ducks.org/news-media/news/6286/nat...
http://www.landscope.org/explore/ecosystems/d...
LessHypeMoreFact

Orleans, Canada

#3 Nov 18, 2013
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have any understanding of prairies, prairie ecosystems and the wildlife that need large undisturbed tracts of native prairie to survive?
Yes Mr. Moron. That is why these fragments of farmland are NOT a prarie.
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
No, we do not need more land in production. We need less waste of what already is in production!
We put enough farmland to use that we have enough produce and at the same time the price to farmers doesn't go too low. This is called economics. Mr. Moron hasn't taken Economics 101 yet I guess..
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
Furthermore, we need to reestablish native prairies whenever and whereever we can before it's too late and we lose what's left of our prairie wildlife.
You can only expand prarie habitat at the edges where the 'ecosystem' can spread. You cannot create a 'prarie ecosystem' in isolated patches of old farms.

Please get a clue Mr. Moron. The only think greater than your megalomania is your ignorance.

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#4 Nov 18, 2013
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes Mr. Moron. That is why these fragments of farmland are NOT a prarie.
<quoted text>
We put enough farmland to use that we have enough produce and at the same time the price to farmers doesn't go too low. This is called economics. Mr. Moron hasn't taken Economics 101 yet I guess..
<quoted text>
You can only expand prarie habitat at the edges where the 'ecosystem' can spread. You cannot create a 'prarie ecosystem' in isolated patches of old farms.
Please get a clue Mr. Moron. The only think greater than your megalomania is your ignorance.
You can indeed reestablish prairie lands with a lot of work, money, some dedicated volunteers, and maintenance...until such time it IS reestablished.

"You cannot create a 'prarie ecosystem' in isolated patches of old farms."
If those patches of old farm are large enough, you can indeed recreate a healthy prairie ecosystem complete with wildlife that calls that prairie home. I'd say one thousand acres can support at least several pairs of Dickcissels or Grasshopper Sparrows as well as several thousand caterpillar eggs, a few pairs of prairie falcons, etc. One thousand acres here and there are better than none at all.

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#5 Nov 18, 2013
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes Mr. Moron. That is why these fragments of farmland are NOT a prarie.
<quoted text>
We put enough farmland to use that we have enough produce and at the same time the price to farmers doesn't go too low. This is called economics. Mr. Moron hasn't taken Economics 101 yet I guess..
<quoted text>
You can only expand prarie habitat at the edges where the 'ecosystem' can spread. You cannot create a 'prarie ecosystem' in isolated patches of old farms.
Please get a clue Mr. Moron. The only think greater than your megalomania is your ignorance.
"Yes Mr. Moron"
Typical reply from someone who can't dispute facts with other facts. They just call people names.
Charbonneau

Bucyrus, KS

#6 Nov 18, 2013
The problem isn't the growing of corn, but the aldehydes significantly increased through the burning of ethanol. Once ethanol emissions, of which the worst are aldehydes, escape into the upper atmosphere, the reaction breaks down into ethylene and water. The ethylene eventually catalyzes with a variety of other hydrocarbons to reduce their order while producing more water. Currently, we don't need any more water than what is melting into the oceans and subliming into the atmosphere. Ethanol is only a lesser evil.
litesong

Everett, WA

#7 Nov 18, 2013
rapped igan wrote:
"You cannot create a 'pra(i)rie ecosystem' in isolated patches of old farms."
If those patches of old farm are large enough, you can indeed recreate a healthy prairie ecosystem complete with wildlife that calls that prairie home. I'd say one thousand acres can support at least several pairs of Dickcissels or Grasshopper Sparrows as well as several thousand caterpillar eggs, a few pairs of prairie falcons, etc. One thousand acres here and there are better than none at all.
You, "rapped igan", become the euro & transplanted euro right hand.

Most often, euro & transplanted euro gov'ts would force roads & even rail lines through Native Tribal regions. Native Tribes would attack wagons, & trains, knowing that euro & transplanted euro access to Native Tribal lands were the end of ecosystems & Native Tribes. Today, Euros & transplanted euros still think that roads, railways & subdividing lands are the lifeblood of euro-style survival........ & who cares about ecosystems anyway. Hey, make that 700 acres......how 'bout 400 acres....... & ya don't need 100 parcels.......how bout 10 parcels.......3 parcels........but ya got to pay us for the land......even tho we stole it from you.
LessHypeMoreFact

Orleans, Canada

#8 Nov 18, 2013
Charbonneau wrote:
The problem isn't the growing of corn, but the aldehydes significantly increased through the burning of ethanol. Once ethanol emissions, of which the worst are aldehydes, escape into the upper atmosphere, the reaction breaks down into ethylene and water. The ethylene eventually catalyzes with a variety of other hydrocarbons to reduce their order while producing more water. Currently, we don't need any more water than what is melting into the oceans and subliming into the atmosphere. Ethanol is only a lesser evil.
A good argument against E100 or even E85. But as an octane booster at E10 or E15 it replaces MTBE which is worse and mostly the gasoline part burns hot enough not to allow aldehydes in the exhaust.
litesong

Everett, WA

#9 Nov 19, 2013
"LessHypeMoreFact" fluffed:
But as an octane booster.......
//////////
litesong wrote:
The continued harping of "LessHypeMoreFact" about ethanol octane boosting doesn't work in gasoline engines. Ethanol works only as an octane booster in ethanol engines with very high compression ratios(like in INDY engines), nearly as high as diesel engines. Only with such high compression ratio ethanol engines can the inherent energy in ethanol be extracted. In low compression ratio gasoline engines, 10% ethanol blends cut mpg by 5% to 10+%. This indicates that individual gasoline engines gain no energy from the ethanol. & the other gasoline engines gain very little power from ethanol.

This is why the oil industry doesn't complain about ethanol mixed into gasoline stocks. MORE oil is consumed to support the ethanol industry, of which ethanol provides little to no energy in gasoline engines.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alternative Energy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Energy Storage Will Be a Boon for Residenti... 8 hr Solarman 1
News Floridians with Solar Inverters had Electricity... 8 hr Solarman 12
News Trade panel says low-cost solar imports hurt US... 16 hr Dee Dee Dee 10
News Al Gore warns that Trump is ignoring weather ap... Sun Patriot AKA Bozo 224
News GCC's 50th Anniversary Fall Fest and homecoming... Sat Go trump 1
News Student power brings solar power to Iroquois... (Apr '10) Sat why Bateman closing 4
News Florida residents prohibited from using solar e... Fri Solarman 1
More from around the web