3rd solar farm planned in Polk County

Jul 26, 2013 Full story: Rome News 43

Polk County will soon see the construction of a solar farm on Morgan Road, just off Ga.

Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“Unions are still scum ”

Since: Dec 07

Atlanta

#1 Jul 31, 2013
How much federal or state funds are being used to subsidize this venture?
misticosombrero

Cedartown, GA

#2 Aug 1, 2013
georgia/ctown getting snookered on this....can't rememeber which new england state (vermont maybe?; new hampshire?...not sure...google it).........recently shutdown their program in operation some 3-5 years old and it was a boondoggle at best. didn't create enough energy, didn't pay for itself, and now the communities are stuck with dismantling and removing the things which cost millions to remove, plus, they are an eyesore. the southeast has long been the 'dumping' ground for other major-metropolitan 'recycling' and 'garbage' of others.

windfarms are notinhg more than an example of the same, by experiementing in 'dumping'/spending tax-payers money on 'feel-good' green-energy pipe-dreams that have PROVEN NOT BE WORTH THE INVESTMENT (even the original windfarms out west are not producing projected results, and they've been around for years)........and when they fail, who's holding the bag
?.......we LOCALS.........like lemmings following the pied-piper.

wake-up ctown.
from aragon

Atlanta, GA

#3 Aug 1, 2013
A private company contracted by Georgia power is building/maintaining this plant. no taxpayer money is being used.

“Home In Georgia Now”

Since: Jul 07

The "City of Gold" in Georgia

#4 Aug 1, 2013
from aragon wrote:
A private company contracted by Georgia power is building/maintaining this plant. no taxpayer money is being used.
I disagree. I am a taxpayer and I pay Georgia Power money "taxes and fees" out the wazoo every damn month along with their applicable "rate" for the power I use. These fees and taxes have gotten out of hand. Same with home phone service and that is why I DO NOT HAVE ONE. Too bad we do not have alternative power sources. So "taxpayer" money is being used since Georgia Power makes money off me and others to be able to hire a "private company" to do anything.
Shadow

Buford, GA

#5 Aug 1, 2013
Found this on the internet, so it has to be true.....

"As part of the 2009 stimulus, the federal government paid 30 percent of the cost of large solar project construction costs and usually loaned them the rest at below-market rates. Utilities were then forced to pay excessive prices for the power from $130 to $200 a megawatt hour, four to eight times more than the cost of conventional power from natural gas or coal, because of state green power mandates."

If it were a good idea, the power companies would be jumping all over it and wouldn't be fighting the forced mandates.
Whatever

Rockmart, GA

#6 Aug 1, 2013
John In North Carolina wrote:
<quoted text>I disagree. I am a taxpayer and I pay Georgia Power money "taxes and fees" out the wazoo every damn month along with their applicable "rate" for the power I use. These fees and taxes have gotten out of hand. Same with home phone service and that is why I DO NOT HAVE ONE. Too bad we do not have alternative power sources. So "taxpayer" money is being used since Georgia Power makes money off me and others to
be able to hire a "private company" to do anything.
John sounds like he knows what he is talking about, however he does not, alternative poet also costs money and if GPC is doing it you will still be charged as with any other company, also GPC is regulated, do you know what that means? If not then the money they make goes to the government if they go over their allowable amount that they can claim as income every year. Go ahead and ask for gas, windmills, biomass, nuclear or whatever poison you may pick, but in the end there is additional costs that you and all the rest of us have to pick up the tab for when this stuff is built that you evidently think that you will get for free!

“Unions are still scum ”

Atlanta

#8 Aug 1, 2013
<quoted text>I disagree. I am a taxpayer and I pay Georgia Power money "taxes and fees" out the wazoo every damn month along with their applicable "rate" for the power I use. These fees and taxes have gotten out of hand. Same with home phone service and that is why I DO NOT HAVE ONE. Too bad we do not have alternative power sources. So "taxpayer" money is being used since Georgia Power makes money off me and others to be able to hire a "private company" to do anything.
I agree John. Look these solar panels are good idea, but are not ready yet as they do not have the capability to be efficient on a large scale basis.
Shadow

Buford, GA

#9 Aug 1, 2013
Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of solar energy. It would be nice to have a bank of them on the roof to knock a dent in the amount I have to pay the power company.

However, they are not ready - yet.

Price for a 5kw system is over $30,000. Government rebates lower that to the low twenties, but considering you can buy a 5kw generator at Home Depot for $600, the math just doesn't add up.

When technology advances (and it will) and the price comes down to the point where it will pay for itself in about 5-6 years, then folks will start forking over the money for these systems.

“Home In Georgia Now”

#10 Aug 1, 2013
MSO4 wrote:
<quoted text>I agree John. Look these solar panels are good idea, but are not ready yet as they do not have the capability to be efficient on a large scale basis.
By "alternate power sources" I meant someone other than GA POWER. I do not care if they are "regulated", if you call the PSC giving them damn near everything they ever ask for as "regulated". Solar panels are not there yet I totally agree. Wind farms are somewhat better if you have a good, steady source of wind. Hell it just occurred to me that we need to build a wind farm in Washington DC. There is plenty of wind there.

“Unions are still scum ”

Atlanta

#11 Aug 1, 2013
<quoted text> Hell it just occurred to me that we need to build a wind farm in Washington DC. There is plenty of wind there.
lol! Thats the truth John!

“Home In Georgia Now”

#12 Aug 2, 2013
Must be some Georgia Power employees and/or shareholders doing the judging on this topic. Then again it could be PSC officals!!!
misticosombrero

Cedartown, GA

#13 Aug 2, 2013
Must be some Georgia Power employees and/or shareholders doing the judging on this topic. Then again it could be PSC officals!!!
....great observation..
masterblaster

Mexico

#14 Aug 2, 2013
Shadow wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of solar energy. It would be nice to have a bank of them on the roof to knock a dent in the amount I have to pay the power company.
However, they are not ready - yet.
Price for a 5kw system is over $30,000. Government rebates lower that to the low twenties, but considering you can buy a 5kw generator at Home Depot for $600, the math just doesn't add up.
When technology advances (and it will) and the price comes down to the point where it will pay for itself in about 5-6 years, then folks will start forking over the money for these systems.
And you are going to fuel that 5kw generator with what ?? Water ?? 30K is a little steep for 5kw.....you need to do more research. Prices have fallen on panels.
Solarman

La Quinta, CA

#15 Aug 3, 2013
<quoted text>I disagree. I am a taxpayer and I pay Georgia Power money "taxes and fees" out the wazoo every damn month along with their applicable "rate" for the power I use. These fees and taxes have gotten out of hand. Same with home phone service and that is why I DO NOT HAVE ONE. Too bad we do not have alternative power sources. So "taxpayer" money is being used since Georgia Power makes money off me and others to be able to hire a "private company" to do anything.
You DO have alternative power sources. All of these "taxes and fees" you have been paying for decades are in some fund for energy efficiency. It's up to YOU to go get it. www.dsireusa.org click on your State of the Union and see what programs are available in your area. Most States have a net metering program with the utilities. Wouldn't it be nice to sell electricity back to the utility at the price they charge YOU?
Shadow

Buford, GA

#16 Aug 3, 2013
masterblaster wrote:
<quoted text>And you are going to fuel that 5kw generator with what ?? Water ?? 30K is a little steep for 5kw.....you need to do more research. Prices have fallen on panels.
I refered to the 5kw generator as point of reference. Some folks have no concept of how small or large a 5kw system is, but they can recall walking by one of those generators in Home Depot and relate to the output.

Yes, prices of panels have dropped some, but you still have to get the thing installed, and it needs to be installed by someone certified for that type of work. Joe Bob's wrecker service and solar panel installations isn't going to cut it.

Here is a website discussing the cost of an installation. They quoted $25-35k for a 5kw system.

http://solarpowerauthority.com/how-much-does-...
Shadow

Buford, GA

#17 Aug 3, 2013
Solarman wrote:
<quoted text> You DO have alternative power sources. All of these "taxes and fees" you have been paying for decades are in some fund for energy efficiency. It's up to YOU to go get it. www.dsireusa.org click on your State of the Union and see what programs are available in your area. Most States have a net metering program with the utilities. Wouldn't it be nice to sell electricity back to the utility at the price they charge YOU?
I think in Georgia after 2012, if you sell excess power back to the power company, they will pay you the avoided cost of generation - not the retail rate. Which means on that hot-as-hell July afternoon, you might get more, in cool October, probably much less.
handyman

Mexico

#18 Aug 3, 2013
Shadow wrote:
<quoted text>
I refered to the 5kw generator as point of reference. Some folks have no concept of how small or large a 5kw system is, but they can recall walking by one of those generators in Home Depot and relate to the output.
Yes, prices of panels have dropped some, but you still have to get the thing installed, and it needs to be installed by someone certified for that type of work. Joe Bob's wrecker service and solar panel installations isn't going to cut it.
Here is a website discussing the cost of an installation. They quoted $25-35k for a 5kw system.
http://solarpowerauthority.com/how-much-does-...
I installed my system and I have no certification. It's not rocket science. A 5kw system is not that large but considering it operates every day and supplies power in a grid tie system,that output adds up.
Solarman

La Quinta, CA

#19 Aug 4, 2013
Shadow wrote:
<quoted text>
I think in Georgia after 2012, if you sell excess power back to the power company, they will pay you the avoided cost of generation - not the retail rate. Which means on that hot-as-hell July afternoon, you might get more, in cool October, probably much less.
The dsire website has links to many energy efficiency programs available to the homeowner. Until December 31, 2016 you still have the FTC of 30%. One the installed solar PV system of 35K, you can get a Federal tax credit of 30% of the system installed cost or 10.5K off the installed price. It does depend on your area of the country. If you have mild Winters and relatively cloud free days, the Winter months will generate an excess credit on your electricity account that can be used up over the summer months. It works well for us at our home. On the net metering plan, we are credited with the KWh sent back into the grid and get a credit for that energy. It gives us a "net" energy credit which we use every summer, usually June through September when we have to run the A/C units 24/7 to keep the house comfortable when it is still 95 degrees at midnight. Keep in mind that when you replace appliances, replace them with energy star appliances. I have been surprised at how much more energy I have in the "net" credit account since installing energy star A/C units and even a energy star washing machine.
Shadow

Buford, GA

#20 Aug 4, 2013
Solarman wrote:
<quoted text>It gives us a "net" energy credit which we use every summer, usually June through September when we have to run the A/C units 24/7 to keep the house comfortable when it is still 95 degrees at midnight.
Have you calculated you payback period for the system? IE:(Installed cost - tax incentives)/ annual savings

If so, what was it?
Shadow

Buford, GA

#21 Aug 4, 2013
handyman wrote:
<quoted text>I installed my system and I have no certification. It's not rocket science. A 5kw system is not that large but considering it operates every day and supplies power in a grid tie system,that output adds up.
I would have concerns about the average homeowner installing a grid tie system. They cutout switches have to be installed correctly or you risk sending power to the grid during an outage and perhaps electrocuting a lineman working on the grid.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alternative Energy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
XsunX Reports Commercial Solar Systems Sales In... Thu karland 3
Fudging the Future Thu karland 1
Expert: We must act fast on warming (Sep '08) Thu Earthling-1 28,063
Tea party pushes for solar power in Fla. Wed Solarman 3
Cheap gas helps Saudi Arabia fight global push ... Jan 27 SpaceBlues 1
For Saudis, Falling Oil Demand Is More Worrying... Jan 27 jeffry 1
Transmission Line Approved That Could Bring Win... Jan 26 Solarman 1
More from around the web