Health concerns aired at South Terminal hearing

Mar 5, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: SouthCoastToday.com

With the state poised to announce a contractor for the South Terminal project before construction starts in April, some residents want health and environmental concerns addressed in a city long plagued by such issues.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 3 of3
Jack Kelly

Jamestown, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

http://www.newbedford-ma.gov/Environmental/L2...

PHASE I
ENVIRONMENTAL SITE ASSESSMENT
January 2006
For Property at: Former Standard Times Field Lot 9G New Bedford, Massachusetts 02740

Potential impacts to site soil and groundwater from a suspected 150,000-gallon fuel oil
underground storage tank (UST) potentially located on the subject site, and former USTs in the
vicinity of the site.

A June 1920 Acushnet Mills map prepared for the Plan Department of the Associated Mutual Insurance
Companies indicates that a 150,000-gallon fuel oil UST was formerly located on the subject site. TRCís
determination was based on a scaled overlay of the aforementioned 1920 Acushnet Mills map over a
current City of New Bedford land parcel map. In addition, the site of a former 550-gallon gasoline UST
associated with the former mills is located approximately 30 feet west (upgradient) of the subject site.
Also, the site of two 7,000-gallon fuel oil USTs that served the former mill is located approximately 50
feet to the west (downgradient) of the subject site.
Jack Kelly

Jamestown, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2013

What ever happened to the 150,000 gallon fuel tank ?
Jack Kelly

Jamestown, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2013

Phase I Environmental Site Assessment Report

Former Standard Times Field Lot 55, New Bedford, Massachusetts January 2006
L2006-034 14

There were no records of property use or any indication of permanent structures on the site from 1930s to
present. However, in 1930 the property was used by United States Army Corps of Engineers as a staging
area for construction of a nearby hurricane barricade.

5.2.4 Storage Tanks
TRC did not observe storage tanks on site. However, as described in Section 4.4, the site was formerly
occupied by a portion of the Acushnet Mill Corporation facility. According to the Acushnet Mill
Corporation survey maps a 150,000 gallon fuel oil UST was located on site. The location off this UST
was investigated by M&E via geophysical techniques and test pitting. TRC attempted to review New
Bedford Fire Department records pertaining to the site; however, the fire department records could not be
accessed on the date municipal files were sought for review.

8.0 CONCLUSIONS
TRC performed a Phase I ESA in conformance with the scope and limitations ASTM Practice E 1527-00
on behalf of the City of New Bedford Department of Environmental Stewardship for Lot 9G, a portion of
the Former Standard Times Field Property in New Bedford, Massachusetts. Any exceptions to, or
deletions from, this practice are described in Section 1.3.4 of this report.
This assessment revealed the following REC in relation to the site:

ē A June 1920 Acushnet Mills map prepared for the Plan Department of the Associated Mutual
Insurance Companies indicates that a 150,000-gallon fuel oil UST was formerly located on the
subject site. TRCís determination was based on a scaled overlay of the aforementioned 1920
Acushnet Mills map over a current City of New Bedford land parcel map.

In addition, the site of
a former 550-gallon gasoline UST associated with the former mills is located approximately 30
feet west (upgradient) of the subject site. Also, the site of two 7,000-gallon fuel oil USTs that
served the former mill is located approximately 50 feet to the east (downgradient) of the subject
site.

http://www.newbedford-ma.gov/Environmental/L2...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 3 of3
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••