Hydro power shows signs of comeback

Dec 27, 2008 Full story: Charleston Daily Mail 9

America's search for cleaner electricity has developers studying dozens of government flood-control dams from North Carolina to Oregon to see if it makes financial sense to retrofit them with hydroelectric ...

Full Story

“My Concerns and Interests”

Since: Nov 08

Grafton now live in Flemington

#1 Jan 2, 2009
We have a dam,, yes it was designed for flood control with future hopes of hydro electric,,and in the past it has been said that it would not work,,now we are experiencing a need for clean fuel, and natural ways to create it,, doing this would be beneficial in so many ways,,providing electricity and providing jobs and possibly even growth,in our area to which we all know we need all of these things,,, they said,,,build it and they will come,,,well it is built and has been for several years,,we are all just stuck in ancient ways and do not want to grow,,just stay the way we are,, well we have and now Grafton is almost dead,,, well it is time for reviving now.....Blessings...cecil
Yes It Would

Salem, VA

#2 Jan 5, 2009
The dam would create a nice amount of hydro power for the area. Yes, head gates, tail gates, turbines and generators do those things. Engineering designs and has it built. You are so right about the area folks not wanting it. AEP says its not worth fighting for to build the line and all the crap involved. Now that IS backwards. AEP has 16 or 17 hydros now from Claytor Lake to Indiana and Michigan. It CAN be done.
news to me

United States

#3 Jan 5, 2009
Who are the "area folks" who don't want the dam to go hydropower, and why? I don't know anything about the engineering and transmission, but it seems they said several years ago that the power would be sold to another area (can't remember where). I would assume this would still bring money to the county economy, but some people grumbled that the locals wouldn't be the actual recipients of the power, and hoped-for reductions in their rates. Again, don't know how all that works, but who is blocking this and why?
justthinkin

Saint Albans, WV

#4 Jan 14, 2009
power produced by hydro or other means can't be stored so it must be transmitted as its being generated and thus is pre-sold to consumers. if you sell x amount of power and receive payment, then the river dries up as it did this summer, is there a fine or penality to be paid for selling something that you can't produce?

“My Concerns and Interests”

Since: Nov 08

Grafton now live in Flemington

#5 Jan 14, 2009
agreed the water line does go down in the summer sometimes,,,But I have lived in grafton for 52 years now..during some of the most worst droughts, I have still never no gates open,,there is always one gate open,,the only way that I know that persons in the county do not want it,,is that no-one is fighting for it,,at all,,,or if they are they are keeping it very quiet..and maybe we here in this county would not receive any of the power from the dam,,but the county or city or both would see some revenue from it,,and we would be furthering the aspects of green technology,,,not burning as much coal and not needing to produce nuclear power,, we would have trouble producing wind power electricity to a certain point because of the hills so why not use what we have to produce it,,,,,this dam prevents flooding in pennsylvania,,that was its main purpose,,,most people are more worried about losing the recreational aspects of behind the dam,,so there is more measures to preventing it from dropping below summer recreation level than anything else,,and what if a drought would come along and we could not produce power,,,there is more or worse things that would come from that than just lost revenue,,,like....Life!!!!
Derp

Grafton, WV

#6 May 4, 2013
I want water! you are dumb f*ckers
mcbill

Richmond, VA

#7 May 5, 2013
I know that a while back, the city lost the rights to survey and move on a plan. Then a co from out of state purchased the rights. State got involved and bam.... Grafton got em back. That was years ago and prob wont happen anytime soon. Just like most halfazzed things around here. Just drive up to the city park and look at it. If it aint a proclamation... Well, you know.
may-be

Clarksburg, WV

#8 May 6, 2013
If the Hydro is installed, the plant would be 300 to 400 feet down from the dam, where would that be ? Ask the County Commission, the bought the old pottery for that purpose.
The energy transmitted from that Hydro Plant would be sold to the highest bidder and the people of grafton would get no reduction on any bill.
It would also lower the level of water behind the dam when it is hot and dry (good by boating) stream level would go down (good by) fishing. I cannot see anything good from this except a few royalities paid to the city of Grafton.
Graftonian

Alexandria, VA

#9 May 6, 2013
It will nvr happen bc the lake controls the river levels in pittsburg to remove trash and waste from pittsburgh it keeps their river levels at 3 rivers up for the barges they can not slow or stop the flow going to pittsburgh so I would say itll b a no go just my two cents

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alternative Energy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Expert: We must act fast on warming (Sep '08) 22 min IBdaMann 27,683
Renewable Energy Will Never Work, But Can Nuclear? 30 min IBdaMann 6
The politics of science 4 hr WIN WIN 4 BIG PHARMA 1
Ohio utility chief: Energy savings hard to measure 13 hr Solarman 1
Clean and green? Study debunks ethanol fuel myth (Sep '09) 19 hr Xtremefuelbrown 36
Hawaii says yes to biofuel refinery (Apr '12) Sun MOMIN ANSARI 8
Good news for solar power installers - The cost... Sun Solarman 1

Alternative Energy People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE