President Obamaa s Climate Plan Would Kill Hundreds Of Millions Of Birds And Bats

Jul 31, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Heartland Institute

A newly published peer-reviewed study reports U.S. wind turbines kill 1.4 million birds and bats every year, even while producing just 3 percent of U.S. electricity.

Comments
1 - 5 of 5 Comments Last updated Aug 3, 2013
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

Judged:

Oh no, deniers here love the heartless who hate the alternatives to fossil fuels.

It's not the most speciose in their mind. Good grief.

Since: Mar 09

Glenwood Springs, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2013

Judged:

That is pure speculation.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2013

Judged:

Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
That is pure speculation.
Is my post deleted, too?

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2013

The article does not reference the study that states 14 million dead birds...... I assume they just grabbed the number out of the air....
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2013

Judged:

SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Is my post deleted, too?
Hey deniers read this instead:

Comparing bird and bat fatality-rate estimates among North American wind-energy projects†

by K. Shawn Smallwood, PhD

Abstract

Estimates of bird and bat fatalities are often made at wind-energy projects to assess impacts by comparing them with other fatality estimates. Many fatality estimates have been made across North America, but they have varied greatly in field and analytical methods, monitoring duration, and in the size and height of the wind turbines monitored for fatalities, and few benefited from scientific peer review. To improve comparability among estimates, I reviewed available reports of fatality monitoring at wind-energy projects throughout North America, and I applied a common estimator and 3 adjustment factors to data collected from these reports. To adjust fatality estimates for proportions of carcasses not found during routine monitoring, I used national averages from hundreds of carcass placement trials intended to characterize scavenger removal and searcher detection rates, and I relied on patterns of carcass distance from wind turbines to develop an adjustment for variation in maximum search radius around wind turbines mounted on various tower heights. Adjusted fatality rates correlated inversely with wind-turbine size for all raptors as a group across the United States, and for all birds as a group within the Altamont Pass Wind Resource Area, California. I estimated 888,000 bat and 573,000 bird fatalities/year (including 83,000 raptor fatalities) at 51,630 megawatt (MW) of installed wind-energy capacity in the United States in 2012. As wind energy continues to expand, there is urgent need to improve fatality monitoring methods, especially in the implementation of detection trials, which should be more realistically incorporated into routine monitoring.© 2013 The Wildlife Society

P.S. Not 14 million.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••