Obama, at Wal-Mart, touts efficiency; angers labor

May 9, 2014 Full story: The Modesto Bee 33

Obama on Friday was to announce commitments from more than 300 companies and local and state governments to use solar energy technology.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Aphelion

Melbourne, FL

#24 May 15, 2014
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> Yeah, and let's all blame Obama, because the GOP is blocking raising the Minimum Wage.....
Yeah cuz we all know that the solution to all problems is more money. LOL
The reason that many work for minimum wage is because they have minimal marketable skills. I'm sure it's lost on you and those like you, but an education is better solution for those struggling today.
xxxrayted

Cleveland, OH

#25 May 15, 2014
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> Yeah, and let's all blame Obama, because the GOP is blocking raising the Minimum Wage.....
And in doing so they are retarding inflation and stopping the domino effect that would take place with such a raise. They are also fighting minimum wage to help keep some jobs in this country.
Alison Young

Gold, India

#26 May 20, 2014
It is very nice news to used solar energy in companies or industry because they are used lots of energy to make product and they are also responsible for global warming. So, It is big benefit ti use solar power in companies or industry.
xxxrayted

Cleveland, OH

#28 May 21, 2014
Alison Young wrote:
It is very nice news to used solar energy in companies or industry because they are used lots of energy to make product and they are also responsible for global warming. So, It is big benefit ti use solar power in companies or industry.
Yes, if you want to pay more for energy than you otherwise could have.

We used to deal with a company who's owner was a big lib. He had a windmill in front of his business. After seven or eight years, he finally broke even with the investment. Then the stupid thing broke so they had to remove the top part for repair. It was gone for a month or two and I seen the owner in the shop, so I asked him about the windmill. He just pushed his hands downward as if he was swatting a fly and say "Ahhh."

This wasn't the first time the windmill defected which is why it took him eight years to break even. I guess this last time the repair bill must have been so large that he gave up on being green. It's a losing battle.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#29 May 21, 2014
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
And in doing so they are retarding inflation and stopping the domino effect that would take place with such a raise. They are also fighting minimum wage to help keep some jobs in this country.
Not sure i understand your last point?....Don't think Chin Yu in Beijing will be making my Whopper...lol....
xxxrayted

Cleveland, OH

#30 May 21, 2014
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> Not sure i understand your last point?....Don't think Chin Yu in Beijing will be making my Whopper...lol....
No Blue, the Domino effect. Let me explain:

You're a kid that gets out of high school and gets a job at a factory making minimum wage. After three months, you get an increase in wages because of your work and attendance even though you knew nothing about work.

After about a year you get another raise, this time for $1.50. You are now making $9.00 per hour because you now know how to operate a forklift, an overhead crane, and two machines in the shop.

Another year goes by and you get another $1.50 per hour raise. Now you're making $10.50 per hour because you are running the shipping department and have gained some computer skills for your job.

Along comes DumBama and makes minimum wage $10.10 per hour. Are you going to be happy with your wage now after spending over two years at your company?

So you approach your supervisor and explain the situation. He refuses to give you a raise because of the new minimum wage increase. You threaten to quit and find another job, so he approaches the company owner and explains your situation to him.

The owner has to realize that if he lets you quit, he will only have to hire somebody a little less than you're making because of the new minimum wage, but with no experience. He has two years invested in you, so he now bumps your wage to $14.00 per hour.

All is fine and dandy, that is until the guy that has more time and experience with the company making $14.00 per hour finds out about your good fortunes. Now he demands a huge increase in wages as well.

You can't just force employers to give one sector of our employees in this country an increase. You force an increase for one group of people, nearly everybody has to get a pay increase as well.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#31 May 21, 2014
Only problem with that theory is, we can't afford the extreme government assistance that accompanies an $7 minimum wage....even Walmart at $8, costs the taxpayers alot, since Walmart's employee's qualify and often recieve food stamps.....Raising the minimum wage also stimulates the economy, because famalies have more to spend.....In that atmosphere, corporate/retail America will have no problem adjusting pay scales....especially since they have been sitting on the largest stockpile of CASH IN 24 YEARS.......You don't have to force employers at all....adaptation is the cornerstone of successful business....
xxxrayted

Cleveland, OH

#32 May 21, 2014
Go Blue Forever wrote:
Only problem with that theory is, we can't afford the extreme government assistance that accompanies an $7 minimum wage....even Walmart at $8, costs the taxpayers alot, since Walmart's employee's qualify and often recieve food stamps.....Raising the minimum wage also stimulates the economy, because famalies have more to spend.....In that atmosphere, corporate/retail America will have no problem adjusting pay scales....especially since they have been sitting on the largest stockpile of CASH IN 24 YEARS.......You don't have to force employers at all....adaptation is the cornerstone of successful business....
If you don't have to force employers at all, then what do we need a minimum wage in the first place?

How does raising the minimum wage stimulate the economy? Where does that money come from? The employer? Think again.

The money will come from the consumer as always. You can't stimulate the economy by taking from one and giving to the other. You still have the same amount of money in circulation.

Let's say I go to McDonald's three times a week. The new minimum wage kicks in, and now they increased my happy meal by $1.25. Now I can't afford to go to McDonald's three times a week. Now I can only go twice a week. So do the hundreds of other regular customers that this McDonald's restaurant serves.

Or perhaps I go to Wal-Mart, and I only have $100.00 to spend. Before the new minimum wage, I could purchase seven items. Because of the new minimum wage, I can only purchase five. How are we ahead?

So how do we reduce the amount of people on social programs? Increase the minimum wage? No. The solution is to make social programs harder to get on. That way, people will strive to get better paying jobs, work more hours, or get a second job just like I did when I was younger working minimum wage jobs.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#33 May 22, 2014
Yeah...what if?....how come?....what do we?........
mad scientist

Glenview, IL

#34 May 22, 2014
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
If you don't have to force employers at all, then what do we need a minimum wage in the first place?
How does raising the minimum wage stimulate the economy? Where does that money come from? The employer? Think again.
The money will come from the consumer as always. You can't stimulate the economy by taking from one and giving to the other. You still have the same amount of money in circulation.
Let's say I go to McDonald's three times a week. The new minimum wage kicks in, and now they increased my happy meal by $1.25. Now I can't afford to go to McDonald's three times a week. Now I can only go twice a week. So do the hundreds of other regular customers that this McDonald's restaurant serves.
Or perhaps I go to Wal-Mart, and I only have $100.00 to spend. Before the new minimum wage, I could purchase seven items. Because of the new minimum wage, I can only purchase five. How are we ahead?
So how do we reduce the amount of people on social programs? Increase the minimum wage? No. The solution is to make social programs harder to get on. That way, people will strive to get better paying jobs, work more hours, or get a second job just like I did when I was younger working minimum wage jobs.
What a simple mind you have.......amazing !
xxxrayted

Cleveland, OH

#35 May 22, 2014
mad scientist wrote:
<quoted text> What a simple mind you have.......amazing !
Simple problem--simple solution. Only liberals complicate things by forcing more government into our lives, and usually, they make things worse, or haven't you paid attention to this current administration?
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#36 May 22, 2014
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Simple problem--simple solution. Only liberals complicate things by forcing more government into our lives, and usually, they make things worse, or haven't you paid attention to this current administration?
Right.

I mean, bushie boy said there were wmd's in iraq. So he made his case and even lied to Congress to get his authorization.

He invaded, killed our troops and civilians and spent trillions AND......... nothing......

Now that's a result reich wingers are sure to be proud of!
xxxrayted

Cleveland, OH

#37 May 23, 2014
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>Right.
I mean, bushie boy said there were wmd's in iraq. So he made his case and even lied to Congress to get his authorization.
He invaded, killed our troops and civilians and spent trillions AND......... nothing......
Now that's a result reich wingers are sure to be proud of!
If you want to start an entirely different discussion, start your own topic. If you can't contribute to what is being discussed, then don't try to change the subject.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alternative Energy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Expert: We must act fast on warming (Sep '08) 2 hr Brian_G 27,952
Frustrated by vandals, thieves WPEC seeks commu... (May '11) 11 hr Annual Winter Sol... 13
Australian scientists announce solar energy bre... Mon Gavin62 10
Here's what appraisers need to know about solar... Dec 14 Soalrman 9
UK's a 46 billion bid for EIB nuclear loan Dec 13 Clear Dharma 1
Washington's Central Bank delegation views MOW'... Dec 13 MOMIN ANSARI 2
NCWARN runs ad criticizing Duke Energy's approa... Dec 13 Solarman 1