Rudd Seeks to Ditch Carbon Tax With Eye on Election Campaign

Jul 14, 2013 Read more: The Washington Post 27

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd plans to accelerate Australia's move to emissions trading as a clean- energy policy, scrapping predecessor Julia Gillard's tax on fossil fuels that's left the nation with the world's highest carbon price.

Read more
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#21 Jul 16, 2013
_0rion_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Over the last few years ours at home as doubled for practically the same usage amounts which, no matter how they spin it, equates to an increase of 100%.
I believe everyone that can afford it installing solar panels has been a lot of the cause of most of the increases, these big greedy companies aren't getting the revenue from those on solar they were previously, so they've had to sting the rest of us to keep their precious profit levels up.
I would definitely agree with you there, these local and state government are shonky to say the least.

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#22 Jul 16, 2013
chefboy812 wrote:
Bowen - average household will be $380/yr better off now we've scrapped the Carbon Tax and going to the ETS.
So if this is true then why do households need this years CT compensation?
Because KRudds old Carbon Pollution Reduction Scheme (CPRS), which is what he is replacing the CT with, will add an additional 0.8% to the cost of living on households over the 1st 12 months of implementation.
OH well - we lose under whichever plan.
I would like just one media interviewer to ask a simple question of Abbott or Bishop.....will Liberal under Abbott and Bishop be introducing an environmental tax...if so when, and how will they pay for it....cause my guess is they will and are just pulling the wool over everyone's eyes by downing the Labor government for doing it, till they get the voters to vote for them. At least with Labor they are open about it. Don't trust Abbott or the Liberals...they lie.
Good Aussies

Berlin, Germany

#23 Jul 16, 2013
F off Ahomona you fat pig.
Foo

Brisbane, Australia

#24 Jul 16, 2013
_0rion_ wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a good political move, no doubt about that.
Perhaps in the cities the scare campaign appeared to be false, but out in the country prices have gone up, mostly because of increased freight costs I think.
10% power price increase?
Is that why we're copping another rise of 22% on top of that for power?
There's a bottomline here Orion, that shouldn't be forgotten. The government said they expected 10% power increases , and they were right......Abbott was wrong , and he knew it from day 1, and didn't care....he lied.........price gouging has been rampant , because no one thought Labor had a chance....so they took the risk , and those currently under investigation by the ACCC for price gouging will pay the price , as they should , for money grabbing under false pretenses .
Foo

Brisbane, Australia

#25 Jul 16, 2013
These greedy global power and energy companies only care about their precious profits , and nothing else.
Mohammed FOO

Brisbane, Australia

#26 Jul 16, 2013
Foo wrote:
These greedy global power and energy companies only care about their precious profits , and nothing else.
OH my brother behave. The infidels are after you and Allah is the only one to care for u.

Since: Mar 13

Alexandria, VA

#27 Jul 25, 2013
Just a thought...

What if there was a fee on carbon released while generating electricity where the proceeds were distributed to ALL the electricity generators per the dispatchable power they provide? The cost of power would be pretty much neutral but there would still be a benefit on low carbon energy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alternative Energy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Wind energy is cheaper, but interest in buildin... 1 hr Sneaky Pete 5
News SPI Solar signs on more projects in Japan, Unit... Wed Hidden govt info 1
News Electric Car Batteries Down To Around $7,500, M... Apr 14 Solarman 1
News Making battery charges last a lot longer: New w... Apr 14 EROEI POWER 1
News One honeymoon isn't enough! Rebecca Adlington j... Apr 14 Vib_Ram 1
News Solar advocates say cap on incentives is blocki... Apr 12 Sun 1
News Investors Chip In as Renewables Rise Towards Re... Apr 12 Solarman 1
More from around the web