Expert: We must act fast on warming

Sep 24, 2008 Full story: Kansas.com 27,701

Droughts, melting ice caps and glaciers, rising sea levels and mass extinctions will all be a reality unless the U.S. and the world cut back on carbon emissions dramatically, said James Hansen, director of ...

Full Story

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain hideaway, SE Spain

#18861 May 11, 2011
Bernard Forand wrote:
Difference is 20 volts.
Which means nothing when dealing with a 220-240 supply.
Bernard Forand wrote:
Volts is the pressure that is expended to move the amperage. Amperage is the actual force that can be translated into work.
Example .0000001 amp at 50,000 volts may have a shocking affect but will not kill you. 1 amp at say 1 volt can kill you.
"Volts jolt, amps kill" is one of the first things a (UK) trainee sparks learns.
kal

Kennewick, WA

#18862 May 11, 2011
Bernard Forand wrote:
<quoted text>
Curious why not plug in to 240 dryer circuit. Is this a reciprocal problem and or safety features. I consider it with an analogy of water. Main flow of water to be distributed through out house. Water to the toilet is the same as water to the drinking tap[ In most Cases] Differences may be needed in pressure; which is regulated with diameter of the pipes. Never the less water is water. Pressure is pressure. Am I missing something?
when your goal is to make money selling a 32 thousand dollar golf cart to the public, you do not stop when a sale is made. even the charging cord and plug in is a one of a kind item. users have to come to you for every aspect in the use of the item. nothing but your unique design, and your patent can interchange. even the installation of the charging device is only to be done with max profit in mind.

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#18863 May 12, 2011
DO we need more surveys and committees to decide on that? Its already very late, if we ant to survive, we must act NOW!

#18864 May 12, 2011
SunFusion Solar wrote:
DO we need more surveys and committees to decide on that? Its already very late, if we [w]ant to survive, we must act NOW!
Or what?

“Denying those who deny nature”

Since: Jun 07

Norfolk va

#18865 May 12, 2011
SunFusion Solar wrote:
DO we need more surveys and committees to decide on that? Its already very late, if we ant to survive, we must act NOW!
And what says we will not if se do not act right now. If we skipped the surveys and committees which usally end up being a waste of time as it is. Of course the surveys could yield an ugly truth that the average person is no longer interested in man made global warming anymore.
Bernard Forand

Cape Coral, FL

#18866 May 12, 2011
kal wrote:
<quoted text>when your goal is to make money selling a 32 thousand dollar golf cart to the public, you do not stop when a sale is made. even the charging cord and plug in is a one of a kind item. users have to come to you for every aspect in the use of the item. nothing but your unique design, and your patent can interchange. even the installation of the charging device is only to be done with max profit in mind.
Yes they could have engineered a system for their vehicle, only charging mechanism. This will only serve to obstruct their abilities to compete on the free trade markets. Competitors will be able to reduce their cost and sell more vehicles. See this, as minor problem, as we have over road semi’s that are computer chipped for operations. There are those that have found ways to bypass the systems. Volt produces obstacles to sales will in short time come to backfire on them. Will be interesting to observe in this communicational and international free trade markets how long, will ambiguities such as these, will be ironed out. Will be fun to figure out how to bypass this system if volt does have it. I like puzzles. LOL then I could sell a book on “How To” Thanks for the heads up. Could be some profit in this…. LOL

Bernard Forand

Cape Coral, FL

#18867 May 12, 2011
Myths vs. Reality
Myth 1: Switching to an electric vehicle will just mean that the same amount of pollution comes from the electricity generation rather than from the tailpipe — I'll just be switching from oil to coal.
Reality: According to a range of studies, an electric car leads to 35 to 60% less carbon dioxide pollution from electricity than the CO2 pollution from the oil of a conventional car with an internal combustion engine.[1][2][3] In some areas, like many on the West Coast that rely largely on wind or hydro power, the emissions are significantly lower for EVs. And that's today. As we retire more coal plants and bring cleaner sources of power online, the emissions from electric vehicle charging drop even further. Additionally, in some areas, night-time charging will increase the opportunity to take advantage of wind power -another way to reduce emissions.
A caveat to consider, according to some studies, is that when coal plants supply the majority of the power mix in a given area, electric vehicles may emit more CO2 and SO2 pollution than hybrid electric vehicles.[4] Learn where your electricity comes from, what plans your state or community has for shifting to renewable, and whether you have options for switching to greener power.
The new all-electric Nissan Leaf. Photo by Darrell Clarke.
Myth 2: Plug-in cars will lead to the production of more coal and nuclear plants.
Reality: Even if the majority of drivers switched to electric, the existing electrical grid's off-peak/nighttime capacity for power generation is sufficient without building a single new power plant. Studies have shown that electric vehicle owners will largely charge their vehicles at night when there is plenty of capacity on the grid. In some areas, new "smart charging" allows you and the utility to set up a system by which you and other electricity users distribute the load evenly during charging so that the system is not overwhelmed by increased demand.
Myth 3: Electric car batteries pose a recycling problem.
Reality: Internal combustion engine vehicles use lead-acid batteries, and their recycle rate is about 98% in the US. The newer batteries for electric vehicles, such as those made of lithium-ion, include even more valuable and recyclable metals and will have a life well beyond the vehicle. In fact, a Belgian company plans to use Tesla Motor's electric vehicle battery pack material to produce an alloy it can further refine into cobalt, nickel, and other valuable metals as well as special grades of concrete. Technology will soon allow for EV batteries to store energy produced by solar or wind power..
Bernard Forand

Cape Coral, FL

#18868 May 12, 2011
Myth 4: My electricity bill will go way up.
Reality: While you'll spend more on electricity, the savings on gas will more than cover it. If you drive a pure battery electric vehicle 12,000 miles a year at current electricity rates (assuming $.12 per kilowatt hour though rates vary throughout the country), you'll pay about $389 per year for the electricity to charge your battery, but you'll save about $1200 in gas (assuming $3 per gallon, a 30 miles per gallon vehicle, and 12,000 miles driven). So $1200 minus $389 equals $811 in savings -a 68% reduction in fueling costs. Some utilities are offering EV owners lower off-peak/nighttime rates. The more we successfully advocate for these off-peak incentives, the lower your electricity payments will go.
Myth 5: Electric vehicles will just fail again like they did before.
Reality: Manufacturers are serious this time -rolling out more than a dozen new plug-in models in the next couple of years, starting now. With higher gas prices and climate change worrying many consumers, stricter fuel economy standards for new vehicles required of auto manufacturers, and billions of public and corporate dollars being spent on an EV infrastructure and research in the US, EVs are here to stay.
Myth 6: My battery will run out of juice.
Reality: The majority of drivers in the US drive less than 35 miles each day, sufficient for a fully charged pure electric vehicle (most can go 80 to 140 miles on one charge), and an extended range electric vehicle (that drives about 35 miles on electric and then the gasoline power kicks in). Using a 220-volt outlet and charging station, a plug-in hybrid recharges in about 100 minutes, an extended range plug-in electric in about four hours, and a pure electric in six to eight hours. A regular 110-volt outlet will mean significantly longer charging times, but for plug-in hybrids and extended range electrics, this outlet may be sufficient. Most of the time, the battery will not be empty when you plug in, thus reducing charging time.
Most people will charge at home. However, some businesses and public entities are beginning to install 220-volt public chargers. Some are installing fast-charging stations along highways and in public places that can re-charge a car to 80% of battery capacity in less than 30 minutes.
Myth 7: Electric vehicles are much more expensive than traditional vehicles.
Reality: While the initial sticker price of EVs is higher than traditional vehicles, you need to do the math to account for a variety of factors. For individual consumers, there is currently a federal tax credit of up to $7,500 for the purchase of an electric vehicle, as well as a partial federal credit for the charging unit. Several states have additional tax credits on top of the federal ones. Additionally, the average EV driver will save more than $800 a year in fuel (the cost of electricity compared to gasoline). Due to a cleaner, more streamlined system under the hood, an EV may save the average driver about 46% in annual maintenance costs, according to one federal government study.[5]
Myth 8: Electric vehicles are only available in California.
Reality: While EVs are not yet available for purchase in every state, they are quickly becoming available in many. The fully electric Nissan Leaf is being sold to customers in California, Washington, Oregon, Arizona, and Tennessee. The Chevy Volt, an extended range plug-in hybrid electric vehicle, is currently being sold at select dealerships in California, Connecticut, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, Texas, and Washington, DC. Customers in nearly all states are expected to be able to purchase or lease a Leaf, Volt, or Plug-in Toyota Prius by late 2011 or early 2012. The Tesla Roadster, a fully electric luxury sportscar, is available in several locations throughout the country. By 2012, many other models will become available nationwide, including the Ford Focus EV, Tesla Model S, and the Mitsubishi iMiev.
Bernard Forand

Cape Coral, FL

#18869 May 12, 2011
Myth 9: Charging an EV on solar power is a futuristic dream.
Reality: The technology to power your EV with solar power is already available. The investment in solar panels pays off faster when the solar power is not only replacing grid electricity, but replacing much more expensive gasoline. According to Plug-In America, EVs typically travel three to four miles (or more) per kWh (kilowatt hour) of electricity. If you drive 12,000 miles per year, you will need 3,000-4,000 kWh. Depending on where you live, you will need a 1.5kW-3kW photovoltaic (PV) system to generate that much power using about 150-300 square feet of space on your roof. Utility credits for the daytime solar power can offset the cost of charging the car at night. If solar PV isn't feasible at your home, find out if your utility offers a green energy option.

1. Boschert, Sherry. "The Cleanest Cars: Well to Wheels Emissions Comparions." Updated May 2008. Cited February 15, 2011.

2. MIT Energy Initiative. "The Electrification of the Transportation System." April, 2010.

3. Electric Power Research Institute and Natural Resources Defense Council. "Environmental Assessment of Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles." 2007. Cited February 16, 2011.

4. Environmental Law and Policy Center. Cited February 15, 2011.

5. Touchstone Energy Business Energy Advisor. "Getting Charged Up Over Electric Vehicles." Cited February 16, 2010

#18870 May 12, 2011
Bernard Forand, it's obvious that you're impressed by electric transport, so tell me, which model of electric car do you own and how do you charge it?
Bernard Forand

Cape Coral, FL

#18872 May 12, 2011
Earthling-1 wrote:
Bernard Forand, it's obvious that you're impressed by electric transport, so tell me, which model of electric car do you own and how do you charge it?
I'm on a waiting list. At present prefer the Leaf as have been on threads that discussed the differences of actuall owners of the leaf and volts. There are advantages of one over the other depending of locality and personell choice. I'm inclined as well to seek solar panels for its fuel consumption and then keep adding panels to eventually to run my house on it. LOL if I keep adding I will then sell it back to the grid. Oh yeah I can see Green oppurtunities in this energy transtion.
kal

Kennewick, WA

#18873 May 12, 2011
Earthling-1 wrote:
reminds me of the fad/craze of running a vehicle on used french-fry oil with just a few modifications. used cooking oil theft became a problem and the fact there was not enough used oil to supply the theives demand became clear. we will be faced with making nightly patrols around the edge of our houses to ward off energy theft from people plugging into outdoor sockets under the cover of darkness. stranded motorists will be begging for a charge to get them on their way. battery theft will become common. black market batteries and chargers will become the new fad. kits to hotrod your battery pac will spring up over night. seeing a possible profit,'bernard' will write another best seller book and totally forget his lifelong dream of finally climbing back up onto the turnip truck when it comes around again.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#18874 May 12, 2011
Bernard Forand wrote:
Myths vs. Reality
Myth 1: Switching to an electric vehicle will just mean that the same amount of pollution comes from the electricity generation rather than from the tailpipe — I'll just be switching from oil to coal.
Reality: According to a range of studies, an electric car leads to 35 to 60% less carbon dioxide pollution from electricity than the CO2 pollution from the oil of a conventional car with an internal combustion engine.[1][2][3] In some areas, like many on the West Coast that rely largely on wind or hydro power, the emissions are significantly lower for EVs. And that's today. As we retire more coal plants and bring cleaner sources of power online, the emissions from electric vehicle charging drop even further. Additionally, in some areas, night-time charging will increase the opportunity to take advantage of wind power -another way to reduce emissions.
A caveat to consider, according to some studies, is that when coal plants supply the majority of the power mix in a given area, electric vehicles may emit more CO2 and SO2 pollution than hybrid electric vehicles.[4] Learn where your electricity comes from, what plans your state or community has for shifting to renewable, and whether you have options for switching to greener power.
The new all-electric Nissan Leaf. Photo by Darrell Clarke.
Myth 2: Plug-in cars will lead to the production of more coal and nuclear plants.
Reality: Even if the majority of drivers switched to electric, the existing electrical grid's off-peak/nighttime capacity for power generation is sufficient without building a single new power plant. Studies have shown that electric vehicle owners will largely charge their vehicles at night when there is plenty of capacity on the grid. In some areas, new "smart charging" allows you and the utility to set up a system by which you and other electricity users distribute the load evenly during charging so that the system is not overwhelmed by increased demand.
Myth 3: Electric car batteries pose a recycling problem.
Reality: Internal combustion engine vehicles use lead-acid batteries, and their recycle rate is about 98% in the US. The newer batteries for electric vehicles, such as those made of lithium-ion, include even more valuable and recyclable metals and will have a life well beyond the vehicle. In fact, a Belgian company plans to use Tesla Motor's electric vehicle battery pack material to produce an alloy it can further refine into cobalt, nickel, and other valuable metals as well as special grades of concrete. Technology will soon allow for EV batteries to store energy produced by solar or wind power..
Sierra Club Propaganda. More electricity is more coal and natural gas, that's the most rapid, efficient way to generate, has been for a long while. It's nice to have hydroelectric power but California is tearing down more dams than it's building. The fantasy of wind and solar power are bleeding our economy, raising the price of gasoline and ethanol is starving the children of the poor. How long must we endure bad policy?

Conservation is for losers. You tell the poor, "Conserve", and it's a fine personal value, but evil public policy. The only people who must conserve are spending more than they make, the Sierra Club is stopping drilling off our Coasts and on Federal land. They are the reason we have high gas prices.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

#18875 May 12, 2011
Bernard Forand wrote:
I'm on a waiting list. At present prefer the Leaf as have been on threads that discussed the differences of actuall owners of the leaf and volts. There are advantages of one over the other depending of locality and personell choice. I'm inclined as well to seek solar panels for its fuel consumption and then keep adding panels to eventually to run my house on it. LOL if I keep adding I will then sell it back to the grid. Oh yeah I can see Green oppurtunities in this energy transtion.
You can walk, it's good for you. This fantasy of selling electricity back to the grid, you'd be lucky to see a tax refund. Why should other people pay for your folly?

#18876 May 12, 2011
Bernard Forand wrote:
I'm on a waiting list.
Please excuse my doubt about that, it was your next comment that raised a red flag:
Bernard Forand wrote:
At present prefer the Leaf
IF you were on a waiting list, you'd know exactly which list it was.
Bernard Forand wrote:
as have been on threads that discussed the differences of actuall owners of the leaf and volts. There are advantages of one over the other depending of locality and personell choice.
I see, so you're also considering a people carrier for, "personell?"
Bernard Forand wrote:
I'm inclined as well to seek solar panels for its fuel consumption and then keep adding panels to eventually to run my house on it. LOL if I keep adding I will then sell it back to the grid. Oh yeah I can see Green oppurtunities in this energy transtion.
I hope you can get a long term mortgage on that lot, because you'll certainly need one.
-
* Tries hard to contain mirth until after clicking on Post Comment.
Bernard Forand

Cape Coral, FL

#18877 May 12, 2011
Good to know that those that seek a laggards ideologoy are still plentifull. The slow go slower. Go back to your buggies and enjoy. I'm moving on. It will take your narrow minded mentality at least a decade to take the first step. Booooorriiinnng...

#18878 May 12, 2011
Dear Bernard, in about a decade, I'll be taking the last step, I took the first one sometime in the 40s.
I wish you well in moving forward, it's the only way to go, but it always pays to watch your step.
Moving forward and keeping pace with the latest, untried technology can work out to be very expensive, so I hope you have a very well paid job.
Bernard Forand

Cape Coral, FL

#18879 May 13, 2011
I do agree about watching every step. This Green energy agendas is not new. Goes back about 45 years back when it first started. Began to be recognized around 68-70 [Nixon’s EPA] then it settled down to digest that. Once again a spurt with President Carter with his attack on the oil industries and focusing on alternative and set two agencies to investigate the possibilities. Oil soon took their vengeance on that and brought that all down. Symbolized with Regan removing solar panels from White House. Green alternative started to take hold. Entrepreneurs’ began to seek the possibilities of solar panels as well parabolic systems , EV’s and so on. Temptiting ,did dabble in it but could not see a future in it for years to come. Chrysler made an error by producing the volt back in the 90’s and that sparked the entrepreneurs once again to focus on alternative systems. Presently we can observe the alternative energy Pandora Box has been opened. Under Obama’s administration it has expanded. Even Gaseous Oily Party will not be able to put all the pieces back into the box. International free trade markets are exploiting the profit potentials. China has already cornered the solar panel industries. Brazil leads the world in bio-fuel to the tune of 90% energy independent. Greenland 100% energy independent.[Hydrogen thermal]. Other sovereignties’ pursuing alternatives are replacing oil/coal at an accelerating rate. Presently from 0% to 60% self energy dependent. Transition to green alternative is the new energy frontier and it is here to stay. Observe even the oil industries recognize this and have for years. No new refineries being pursued. Those who lag, as history has demonstrated time and time again, go to the end of the line. Imagine I produce enough energy to fuel my vehicle, then my house and then enough to sell to you, so you can help me pay for the system… house, car, toys and so on.
By the way seldom had a job. Moved around a lot and would just start up a job or jobs in the communities that I happened to be in at the time. Now at the train station with my ticket in hand. As I look about I see fantastic opportunities out there all full grown fruits on the apple trees and then I see people hands in pockets, head down, laminating of their miseries. LOL they are kicking a can down the road stirring up dust right under the tree of fruit and complaining of their hunger. I yell out look up and they just shrug me off as they keep kicking their can's down the street. I hear a slow train a coming. Time to move on..

#18880 May 13, 2011
Bernard Forand wrote:
By the way seldom had a job. Moved around a lot and would just start up a job or jobs in the communities that I happened to be in at the time. Now at the train station with my ticket in hand. As I look about I see fantastic opportunities out there all full grown fruits on the apple trees and then I see people hands in pockets, head down, laminating of their miseries. LOL they are kicking a can down the road stirring up dust right under the tree of fruit and complaining of their hunger. I yell out look up and they just shrug me off as they keep kicking their can's down the street. I hear a slow train a coming. Time to move on..
You really should have kept those admissions to yourself!

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

#18881 May 13, 2011
Greenland's got 57,000 people, geothermal energy is all about location. We can't all move to an active geothermal zone.

Fantasies about selling energy to the grid is part of the reason energy and fuel prices are skyrocketing. Oil, gas and coal are proven winners, China is expanding fossil fuel production and usage.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alternative Energy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Geothermal pitched as alternative to Site C dam 5 hr get er done 1
Regulators approve PNM solar plan 9 hr Solarman 1
Renewable Energy Will Never Work, But Can Nuclear? 18 hr SpaceBlues 18
Matched 'hybrid' systems may hold key to wider ... Wed Solarman 1
Energy and tech butting heads over $5.2B Texas ... Tue Solarman 1
RELACCX: Renewable Energy Industry Leaders Hold... Tue JMWinPR 1
The politics of science Nov 25 WIN WIN 4 BIG PHARMA 1

Alternative Energy People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE