Expert: We must act fast on warming

Expert: We must act fast on warming

There are 28465 comments on the Kansas.com story from Sep 24, 2008, titled Expert: We must act fast on warming. In it, Kansas.com reports that:

Droughts, melting ice caps and glaciers, rising sea levels and mass extinctions will all be a reality unless the U.S. and the world cut back on carbon emissions dramatically, said James Hansen, director of ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Kansas.com.

One way or another

United States

#28005 Sep 9, 2014
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
To accept the young earth theory, you must ignore much of established science. Here are some sites that will give evidence that the young earth theory has a very difficult task of displacing many disciplines of established scientific work.
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Evidence_against...
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Branches_of_scie...
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/101_evidences_fo...
It is interesting that some folks devalue the work of many many climate scientists yet are willing to acept the work without question of a very few creationist scientists.
Schools teach nothing more than copy and paste. They don't teach children or scientists how to think for themselves. If I'm wrong show us a class that teaches children or scientists how to think for themselves.

Most people are forced to blindly follow what they are taught, because they have no other choice and no one ever taught them to think for themselves. They will repeat what other people have said and thought, because they have no way of challenging The past or others, if they are not taught to think for themselves.
One way or another

United States

#28006 Sep 9, 2014
I have not gone and looked at those sites that you offered, but I will be willing to bet that everyone of them is portraying the same things in the same way. If I tell you the sky is blue, and you say the sky is green, we disagree. How many scientists on those sites disagree with each other? Do you think exactly alike as your neighbor your friend your brother your sister, on anything?

How funny that all Democrats and all Republicans think alike, right?

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#28007 Sep 9, 2014
One way or another wrote:
<quoted text>
Schools teach nothing more than copy and paste. They don't teach children or scientists how to think for themselves. If I'm wrong show us a class that teaches children or scientists how to think for themselves.
Most people are forced to blindly follow what they are taught, because they have no other choice and no one ever taught them to think for themselves. They will repeat what other people have said and thought, because they have no way of challenging The past or others, if they are not taught to think for themselves.
I see that you have no concept of what is taught in schools. The reason that the United States is so advanced technologically and scientifically is because individuals are able to project new ideas. Of course we do stand on the shoulders of those who laid the foundations before us. It would be rather stupid for us to reject those findings just because we did not establish them ourselves.

Scientific laws and theories have been challanged and finally accepted as a basis for building upon. That in no manner says that current ideas and theories are accepted without question. That is not how science works. A scientist is able to elevate his/her credibility by showing errors of their peers and they will search diligently to find those errors. That is how science works and why the discipline has worked so wonderfully. Those who denegrate the scientific process for their own gratification or to bolster their agendas are an abomination and are fostering an unhealthy political atmosphere in this country.

All scientists think for themselves. It is simply propaganda to deciminate scientific progress that interferes with agendas or ideologies by intimating that science is basically corrupt. Of course there have been corrupt scientists. They are human. However, they are usually exposed in short order but certainly in the long run. Science is a rigorous discipline. Much more rigorous than political agendas.
One way or another

United States

#28008 Sep 9, 2014
You are all talk, you are copy and paste. If I'm wrong, tell us one thing that you have given to the world, that no one else has.
One way or another

United States

#28009 Sep 9, 2014
What do you know the idiots that are in charge of runoff are finally figuring out that it is fertilizers that are destroying the lakes and the oceans health and I was saying that a year ago.

PBS
One way or another

United States

#28010 Sep 9, 2014
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
I see that you have no concept of what is taught in schools. The reason that the United States is so advanced technologically and scientifically is because individuals are able to project new ideas. Of course we do stand on the shoulders of those who laid the foundations before us. It would be rather stupid for us to reject those findings just because we did not establish them ourselves.
Scientific laws and theories have been challanged and finally accepted as a basis for building upon. That in no manner says that current ideas and theories are accepted without question. That is not how science works. A scientist is able to elevate his/her credibility by showing errors of their peers and they will search diligently to find those errors. That is how science works and why the discipline has worked so wonderfully. Those who denegrate the scientific process for their own gratification or to bolster their agendas are an abomination and are fostering an unhealthy political atmosphere in this country.
All scientists think for themselves. It is simply propaganda to deciminate scientific progress that interferes with agendas or ideologies by intimating that science is basically corrupt. Of course there have been corrupt scientists. They are human. However, they are usually exposed in short order but certainly in the long run. Science is a rigorous discipline. Much more rigorous than political agendas.
You clearly have a cut and paste education. You have no thoughts of your own and you seem to hate anybody else who does have a thought of their own. Jealousy seems to become you.
litesong

Everett, WA

#28012 Sep 15, 2014
[QUOTE who="lyin' brian"]You're really fascinated by creationism, what's up with that?[/QUOTE]

You're NOT fascinated by science, chemistry, astronomy, physics, algebra & pre-calc that you didn't earn in a hi skule DEE-ploooma.
SpaceBlues

Magnolia, TX

#28013 Sep 18, 2014
B as in B S as in S wrote:
<quoted text>
Still plagiarizing, I see
LOL..
SoE

Sioux Falls, SD

#28014 Sep 26, 2014
One way or another wrote:
<quoted text>
MY,...well, that will make the PhD much easier !:-)
Sketch

United States

#28015 Sep 26, 2014
The mind is the greatest adventure.
Sketch

United States

#28016 Sep 26, 2014
I have been using the name of sketch lately, when I have for so long gone by the name of one way or another, because the evolutionist children have decided to use my name, because they have no science and no care for intelligent thinking. Like some here, they use childish innuendo and name-calling against people, instead of using science to prove their points.
SoE

Sioux Falls, SD

#28017 Sep 26, 2014
Well,..."Sketch"
Thought as a function of intelligence brings redundancy to zero ?
If you are not a evolutionist children what would you be ?:-)
Sketch

United States

#28018 Sep 26, 2014
SoE wrote:
Well,..."Sketch"
Thought as a function of intelligence brings redundancy to zero ?
If you are not a evolutionist children what would you be ?:-)
Do your first statement, I would have to answer not necessarily. To your question, a human being with many flaws.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#28019 Sep 27, 2014
well getting things closed up for the winter , we have moved the cattle to the low pastures . so iam going to take some of my hard earned capitalist money and head south of the border for the winter soall you warmers stay warm this winter hope to return in the spring . will ck in from time to time when we make it to town with net access .peace to all
litesong

Everett, WA

#28020 Sep 28, 2014
at home in lynching county wrote:
head south of the border for the winter.... you warmers stay warm this winter...
Don't need to move south. Winters farther north, are gaining warmth due to AGW.

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#28021 Sep 29, 2014
litesong wrote:
You're NOT fascinated by science, chemistry, astronomy, physics, algebra & pre-calc that you didn't earn in a hi skule DEE-ploooma.
I'm fascinated by the complete lack of compelling experimental tests for climate change mitigation. Seems like the technology of mitigating climate lacks real world models. Seems if you really want to sell restricting carbon dioxide emissions you might have some experimental data to show it won't cause more harm than good.

Did you know businesses use the experimental method to test new strategies and maximize profit? Why can't we see something like an experimental test showing a man made global climate change? What's the largest experimental test that shows local climate change? Is it as big as a climate model cell?

I didn't graduate college but I commend education to all posters. I don't put down anyone's education, you pick the path that works for you. Keep on posting for acting on AGW! I'm sure you've got the winning touch for sending messages.
litesong

Everett, WA

#28022 Sep 29, 2014
[QUOTE who="lyin' brian"]I'm fascinated.......I didn't graduate college.....[/QUOTE]

"lyin' brian", a sleepy sleazy slimy steenking filthy vile reprobate rooting(& rotting) racist pukey proud pig AND alleged & proud threatener, wasn't fascinated with, did NOT take, or did it pass science, chemistry, astronomy, physics, algebra & pre-calc in its poorly earned hi skule DEE-ploooma. Its errors of 1 million TIMES, 1000 TIMES, 3000 TIMES, 73+ million TIMES, 2.5+ trillion TIMES, & 3.5+ trillion TIMES are the result.

"lyin' brian" is all this....... & much less!
Sketch

United States

#28023 Sep 29, 2014
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
"lyin' brian", a sleepy sleazy slimy steenking filthy vile reprobate rooting(& rotting) racist pukey proud pig AND alleged & proud threatener, wasn't fascinated with, did NOT take, or did it pass science, chemistry, astronomy, physics, algebra & pre-calc in its poorly earned hi skule DEE-ploooma. Its errors of 1 million TIMES, 1000 TIMES, 3000 TIMES, 73+ million TIMES, 2.5+ trillion TIMES, & 3.5+ trillion TIMES are the result.
"lyin' brian" is all this....... & much less!
Why don't you speak to the subject he raises?
I don't see him using name-calling.

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain retreat, SE Spain

#28024 Sep 29, 2014
Sketch wrote:
Why don't you speak to the subject he raises?
I don't see him using name-calling.
You must be new here.
Our friend litesoff has been behaving like this since before I joined Topix.
There is no cure for his ailment that doesn't involve him dealing with the grim reaper.
My condolences go to the long suffering wife he claims to have.
Sketch

United States

#28025 Sep 29, 2014
Earthling-1 wrote:
<quoted text>You must be new here.
Our friend litesoff has been behaving like this since before I joined Topix.
There is no cure for his ailment that doesn't involve him dealing with the grim reaper.
My condolences go to the long suffering wife he claims to have.
Recently I've had some people that act very childish, using my screen name, so I changed it, but that didn't help.

You might know me better by the name,----"one way or another."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alternative Energy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Solar Stunner: The lowest price for solar power... 11 hr Solarman 1
News Energy Recap: Keeping The Lights On With Microg... 11 hr Solarman 1
News Lowville commercial building getting green upgr... Fri Ester 3
News AEP Ohio Requests Proposals For Solar Energy Re... Thu Solarman 1
News Can wannabe tennis pro turned politician Josh F... Thu Solarman 1
News Do homeowners have a right to light on their so... Oct 18 Solarman 1
News UPDATE 1-Norway's Saga in $2.9 bln deal to buil... Oct 18 Solarman 1
More from around the web