Expert: We must act fast on warming

Expert: We must act fast on warming

There are 28456 comments on the Kansas.com story from Sep 24, 2008, titled Expert: We must act fast on warming. In it, Kansas.com reports that:

Droughts, melting ice caps and glaciers, rising sea levels and mass extinctions will all be a reality unless the U.S. and the world cut back on carbon emissions dramatically, said James Hansen, director of ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Kansas.com.

litesong

Everett, WA

#27940 Aug 24, 2014
at home in lynching county wrote:
...... you offer no long termed proof....
It is AGW scientists that show the infra-red energy absorbing ability of man-made GHGs & the mounting excess energy in the Earth's bio-sphere.
Sleepy sleazy slimy steenking toxic topix AGW denier liars do not understand AGW scientists because sleepy sleazy slimy steenking toxic topix AGW denier liars have no science, chemistry, astronomy, physics, algebra & pre-calc in their poorly (or non-) earned hi skule DEE-plooomas & make errors of 1 million TIMES, 1000 TIMES, 3000 TIMES, 73+ million TIMES, 500 million TIMES, 2.5+ trillion TIMES, 3.5+ trillion TIMES & 1,000,000,000,000,000 TIMES.

Sleepy sleazy slimy steenking toxic topix AGW denier liars are all this....... & much less!

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#27941 Aug 24, 2014
Another day without a published peer reviewed test of climate change mitigation, what's up with that? Don't buy a pig in a poke.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#27943 Aug 24, 2014
Again another day passes and still not one expert can offer true unbiased ,long termed proof of anything they believe in ! Even after I ask for such proof from 75 years ago ! But alas no expert can or will come to defend the cause !!!
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#27944 Aug 24, 2014
Dear Climate Change Deniers, Scientists Have Feelings Too

Anthony Richardson, a climate change ecologist and an associate professor at the University of Queensland, wrote:

How climate change makes me feel.

I feel a maelstrom of emotions

I am exasperated. Exasperated no one is listening.
I am frustrated. Frustrated we are not solving the problem.
I am anxious. Anxious that we start acting now.
I am perplexed. Perplexed that the urgency is not appreciated.
I am dumbfounded. Dumbfounded by our inaction.
I am distressed. Distressed we are changing our planet.
I am upset. Upset for what our inaction will mean for all life.
I am annoyed. Annoyed with the media’s portrayal of the science.
I am angry. Angry that vested interests bias the debate.
I am infuriated. Infuriated we are destroying our planet.

But most of all I am apprehensive. Apprehensive about our children’s future.

Joe Duggan, who isn’t a climate scientist, started the blog to show that scientists “aren’t nameless, faceless boffins.” He notes that researchers, a majority of whom assert that global warming is real, have devoted their lives to study and understand climate change. Our part? Believe what they say and take action.

Sure, the U. S. government has imposed carbon emission limits on power plants, and electric-car purveyor Elon Musk seems to come up with another solution every few weeks. As climate change threatens our favorite hazelnut spread and our hard liquor, we drive a little less and walk more. But as these exasperated scientists point out, a lot more of us need to act. Sea otters are doing it.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#27945 Aug 26, 2014
home in lincoln county wrote:
<quoted text>
If not fuzzy puter models ,predictions and scare tactic pictures used to brain wash and scare little school children then please post a long termed unbiased study that proves that everything is manmade !! I have had no disruptions to my life from anything you preach of . birds are loosing habitat from urban creep and not climate change ! if anything birds should be loving the newly exposed lands ,more food sources . Forest fire have been going on in the country even before man was here and will continue the only difference is that some folks have decided to build their homes in fire prone areas and stupid people who are careless with fire ! How the hell do you propose to stop natural lighting strikes that start most forest fires ????? As for food prices get the govt. out of the food business and let the free market take care of itself !! We have farms in this area and sorry to tell you all were late planting this spring WHY? because they had to wait for the snow to melt ,and warm up yea thats right WARM UP !! yes we know all caused by climate / globull /ghg's that not one expert can prove .
The report says if the world continues to spew greenhouse gases at its accelerating rate, it’s likely that by mid-century temperatures will increase by about another 3.6 degrees Fahrenheit (two degrees Celsius) compared to temperatures from 1986 to 2005. And by the end of the century, that scenario will bring temperatures that are about 6.7 degrees warmer (3.7 degrees Celsius).

“The report tells us once again what we know with a greater degree of certainty: that climate change is real, it is caused by us, and it is already causing substantial damage to us and our environment,” Pennsylvania State University climate scientist Michael Mann wrote in an e-mail.“If there is one take home point of this report it is this: We have to act now.”
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#27946 Aug 27, 2014
Our climate has accumulated

Hiroshima atomic bombs

of heat since 1998
Luther the fiend

Columbus, OH

#27947 Aug 27, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
Hiroshima atomic bombs
of heat since 1998
And all comes from the most massive nuclear reaction in our solar system. The Sun! Control that Al Gore !! LOL !!

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#27948 Aug 28, 2014
Luther the fiend wrote:
<quoted text>
And all comes from the most massive nuclear reaction in our solar system. The Sun! Control that Al Gore !! LOL !!
That is true, the Sun is the heat engine. If you heat your home it is certain that it will get hotter if you close the windows and doors because not as heat is not lost to the outside as quickly. That is what CO2 does, it prevents heat from escaping the Earth as quickly.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#27949 Aug 28, 2014
Luther the fiend wrote:
<quoted text>
I post this to inform you. Daily man-made CO2 releases into our atmosphere add up to 110 million tons and is increasing the global warming aka climate change. That is in energy equivalent 500,000 hiroshima's.

Wake up, folks.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#27950 Aug 28, 2014

Hiroshima atomic bombs

of heat since 1998
litesong

Everett, WA

#27951 Aug 28, 2014
[QUOTE who="lather, the friend of AGW denier liars "] all comes from the most massive nuclear reaction in our solar system. The Sun![/QUOTE]

Accelerating & increasing amounts of man-made non-phase change infra-red energy absorbing GHGs PLUS effective increases of phase change infra-red energy absorbing GHG water vapor PLUS their positive feedbacks slow solar energies from radiating away from Earth, in effect increasing Earth energy.
litesong

Everett, WA

#27952 Aug 28, 2014
[QUOTE who="lyin' brian"] you know I read the news?[/QUOTE]

"lyin' brian" is a sleepy sleazy slimy steenking filthy vile reprobate rooting(& rotting) racist pukey proud pig AND alleged & proud threatener. "lyin' brian" uses its lack of science, chemistry, astronomy, physics, algebra & pre-calc in its poorly earned hi skule DEE-ploooma to oppose scientific AGW & to cause & support its errors of 1 million TIMES, 1000 TIMES, 3000 TIMES, 73+ million TIMES, 2.5+ trillion TIMES, & 3.5+ trillion TIMES.

"lyin' brian" is all this....... & much less!

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Home, sweet home.

#27953 Aug 28, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
Our climate has accumulated 2,135,147,328 Hiroshima atomic bombs of heat since 1998
Once upon a time, scientists detonated real atomic bombs in the atmosphere to test the effect on climate. After dozens of atmospheric bursts there was no man made global climate change but a local and temporary cooling effect. Part of the arcana is accumulated atomic bombs versus the reality of cooling climate.

What's not to love about global warming? All the warmth of nuclear energy with not only no radiation effect but CO2 acts like a radiation filter protecting life from the cold death of space. I've picked my side, I love emitting greenhouse gas and I intend to emit Hiroshima atomic bombs more before I die. Then, I want to be creamated.

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Home, sweet home.

#27954 Aug 28, 2014
cremated.

Location hidden

#27955 Aug 28, 2014
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Once upon a time, scientists detonated real atomic bombs in the atmosphere to test the effect on climate. After dozens of atmospheric bursts there was no man made global climate change but a local and temporary cooling effect. Part of the arcana is accumulated atomic bombs versus the reality of cooling climate.
What's not to love about global warming? All the warmth of nuclear energy with not only no radiation effect but CO2 acts like a radiation filter protecting life from the cold death of space. I've picked my side, I love emitting greenhouse gas and I intend to emit Hiroshima atomic bombs more before I die. Then, I want to be creamated.
About the only thing you have picked is your nose.
Luther the fiend

Columbus, OH

#27956 Aug 28, 2014
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
That is true, the Sun is the heat engine. If you heat your home it is certain that it will get hotter if you close the windows and doors because not as heat is not lost to the outside as quickly. That is what CO2 does, it prevents heat from escaping the Earth as quickly.
Actually the contribution that Co2 makes to insulating the atmosphere pales by an order of 10k compared to the effect that water vapor has. Pushing another unsubstantiated left wing lie there Patriot !
Luther the fiend

Columbus, OH

#27957 Aug 28, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>
I post this to inform you. Daily man-made CO2 releases into our atmosphere add up to 110 million tons and is increasing the global warming aka climate change. That is in energy equivalent 500,000 hiroshima's.
Wake up, folks.
The major contributors to global climate change (some areas get colder, some hotter, some wetter and some drier) are:
Carbon dioxide (essentially a man made contribution abetted by """ the loss of forest cover which was a carbon sink""")
Methane (essentially a man made contribution but also a derivative effect as warmer permafrost and methane hydrates in the sea are giving up methane)
Insolation ( changes in the sun's output - a natural cycle)
Reduction of albedo (loss of polar ice reduces reflection of heat back into space)
Water vapour (a derivative cause - warmer weather causes more water vapour in the air. Water vapour is a GHG)

Balancing this is the increasing cloud cover from more water vapour condensing into clouds and the clouds generated as jet contrails.
A: """Water vapor is the largest single gas and has up to 80% of all warming associated with it"""

CO2 is in second place providing the bulk of the rest of this warming.(Almost 20%)

"""Nature provides all but 0.28% of the Green house gases. Man gives us the rest""". In terms of CO2 production """man causes 6% of this""". Much of this 6% comes from items we would see producing CO2 anyway. Over half of the green house gases we produce is created by the use of our homes and offices.

Facts make your hollow arguments impossible to be taken seriously.

Location hidden

#27958 Aug 28, 2014
Luther the fiend wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually the contribution that Co2 makes to insulating the atmosphere pales by an order of 10k compared to the effect that water vapor has. Pushing another unsubstantiated left wing lie there Patriot !
And your argument is thinner than water vapor. Most water is added to the atmosphere due to the increased temperature due to the additional CO2 in the atmosphere trapping heat. As the oceans warm, evaporation increases causing more water vapor in the atmosphere. However, this water vapor is soon wrung out of the air in the form of precipitation. One of the effects is an accumulation of snow in Antarctica as well as rain and storms elsewhere.
SpaceBlues

Desoto, TX

#27959 Aug 28, 2014
Luther the fiend wrote:
<quoted text>
The major contributors to global climate change (some areas get colder, some hotter, some wetter and some drier) are:
Carbon dioxide (essentially a man made contribution abetted by """ the loss of forest cover which was a carbon sink""")
Methane (essentially a man made contribution but also a derivative effect as warmer permafrost and methane hydrates in the sea are giving up methane)
Insolation ( changes in the sun's output - a natural cycle)
Reduction of albedo (loss of polar ice reduces reflection of heat back into space)
Water vapour (a derivative cause - warmer weather causes more water vapour in the air. Water vapour is a GHG)
Balancing this is the increasing cloud cover from more water vapour condensing into clouds and the clouds generated as jet contrails.
A: """Water vapor is the largest single gas and has up to 80% of all warming associated with it"""
CO2 is in second place providing the bulk of the rest of this warming.(Almost 20%)
"""Nature provides all but 0.28% of the Green house gases. Man gives us the rest""". In terms of CO2 production """man causes 6% of this""". Much of this 6% comes from items we would see producing CO2 anyway. Over half of the green house gases we produce is created by the use of our homes and offices.
Facts make your hollow arguments impossible to be taken seriously.
You highly overrate yourself. None of the technical material disagrees with what I post. You should show why facts disagree with my alleged arguments. NOT.

You seem to see arguments where there is none because of your partizan politics. That is why where you express your opinion you fail and are thus dismissed. TRUE.

I also require that you reference your source(s) for those percentages. Even a moron would know you appear to have picked them out of the thin air because of your lack of respect for facts.

Put up or shut up, no-science poster.
SpaceBlues

Desoto, TX

#27960 Aug 28, 2014
Luther the fiend wrote:
<quoted text>To another poster:

What the heck is "an order of 10k?"

Psst you have no science or mathematics training. Where did you buy your confidence, in church?

WOW.. hahahahahaha

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alternative Energy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News New plan could use renewable resources for near... 18 hr Solarman 1
News "Green" Energy, an Environmental Disaster 18 hr Solarman 2
News Renewable energy now costs dramatically less th... 19 hr Solarman 1
News Xcel customer bills could fall 6 percent thanks... Thu judy 3
News Who's Afraid of Tom Steyer? Billionaire Targete... Wed Solarman 1
News Large solar project in southwest Wyoming moves ... May 21 Solarman 1
News Storage Will Be Energy's Next Big Thing May 20 Solarman 1