Expert: We must act fast on warming

Expert: We must act fast on warming

There are 28477 comments on the Kansas.com story from Sep 24, 2008, titled Expert: We must act fast on warming. In it, Kansas.com reports that:

Droughts, melting ice caps and glaciers, rising sea levels and mass extinctions will all be a reality unless the U.S. and the world cut back on carbon emissions dramatically, said James Hansen, director of ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Kansas.com.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#27655 Jun 27, 2014
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
That is what Rush said. Now I know your source.
Transparency, that is not what Al Gore or Tom Steyer said. We've known your sources all along.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#27657 Jun 27, 2014
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Transparency, that is not what Al Gore or Tom Steyer said. We've known your sources all along.
Your comments are not only transparent, they are empty.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Home, sweet home.

#27658 Jun 27, 2014
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
Your comments are not only transparent, they are empty.
Tom Steyer and Al Gore are the left's Koch brothers.
litesong

Everett, WA

#27659 Jun 27, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
Extreme heat, especially in the Southwest, Southeast and upper Midwest, will slash labor productivity as people are unable to work outdoors at construction and other jobs for sustained periods.
Working on hot asphalt paving projects in the southwest summer heat is tragic. Just regular asphalt injuries, heated by the sun is horrendous:
http://www.citylab.com/weather/2013/07/wester...

“True Blue”

Since: Jun 13

Opal-Hearted Land

#27660 Jun 27, 2014
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I'm not making claims about man made greenhouse gas and climate or species extinctions and man made climate change, the alarmists do that. I'm just a skeptic and I don't have a claim to prove. I note, thousands of species have been extinguished by over hunting, over fishing and habitat destruction but none has ever been extinguished by man made global warming.
Really? Give it time.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/pictu...

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Home, sweet home.

#27661 Jun 28, 2014
Really, not one single species has been extinguished by man made global warming though thousands of species have been killed off by over hunting, over fishing and habitat destruction. You've predicted mass extinctions for the past 40 years but we haven't seen even one species extinction from man made climate change yet.

Polar bear populations are expanding:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-24368...
SpaceBlues

Desoto, TX

#27662 Jun 28, 2014
Brian_G wrote:
Really, not one single species has been extinguished by man made global warming though thousands of species have been killed off by over hunting, over fishing and habitat destruction. You've predicted mass extinctions for the past 40 years but we haven't seen even one species extinction from man made climate change yet.
You come here to repeat your blah blah.

You don't read to learn.. even your own link:

I took a trip outside town yesterday and came across another 20 bears. People here think there are more bears than ever.’

Others, however, disagree, and say that while Kaktovik appears to have plenty of bears, it doesn’t mean there is a healthy wider population.

Guide Bruce Inglangasuk said:‘Any idiot can see that climate change is affecting us here. There is no ice where there should be ice.’

Walt Audi, 74, a former pilot who now owns the 11-room Waldo Arms hotel, agreed.

He said:‘I’ve been here 50 years. We used to have icebergs floating offshore at this time of year and the ice would come right in, even during summer.

‘Now it’s 150 miles offshore. The bears are hungry so they are coming here looking for food until the ocean freezes and they can head back out to hunt seals.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-24368...
Follow us:@MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
SpaceBlues

Desoto, TX

#27663 Jun 28, 2014
Brian_G wrote:
Peter Ward, a University of Washington biology and paleontology professor, said natural increases in carbon dioxide warmed the air and ocean. The warmer water had less oxygen and spawned more microbes, which in turn spewed toxic hydrogen sulfide into the air and water, killing species.

Ward examined 13 major and minor extinctions in the past and found a common link: rising carbon dioxide levels in the air and falling oxygen levels. Ward's study will be presented Sunday at the Geological Society of America's annual convention in Denver.

Mayhew also found increasing carbon dioxide levels in the air coinciding with die-offs, but concluded that temperatures better predicted biodiversity.

Those higher temperatures that coincided with mass extinctions are about the same level forecast for a century from now if the world continues its growing emissions of greenhouse gases, according to the Nobel Prize-winning Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.

In April, the same climate panel of thousands of scientists warned that "20 to 30 percent of animal species assessed so far are likely to be at increased risk of extinction" if temperatures increase by about 3 to 4 degrees Fahrenheit.

"Since we're already seeing threshold changes in ecosystems with the relatively small amount of climate change already taking place, one could expect there's going to be severe transformations," said biologist Thomas Lovejoy, president of the H. John Heinz Center for Science, Economics and the Environment in Washington.

University of Texas biologist Camille Parmesan, who studies how existing species are changing with global warming but wasn't part of either team, said she was "blown away" by the Mayhew study and called it "very convincing."

"This will give scant comfort to anyone who says that the world has often been warmer than recently so we're just going back to a better world," Pennsylvania State University geological sciences professor Richard Alley said.
SpaceBlues

Desoto, TX

#27664 Jun 28, 2014
Brian_G wrote:

According to research published in the 30 May 2014 issue of Science, most known species have small ranges, and the numbers of small-ranged species are increasing quickly. They are geographically concentrated and are disproportionately likely to be threatened or already extinct.]wikipedia]
SpaceBlues

Desoto, TX

#27665 Jun 28, 2014
Brian_G wrote:
New report suggests Earth on the brink of a great extinction

pbs.org
SpaceBlues

Desoto, TX

#27666 Jun 28, 2014
Brian_G wrote:
STUART PIMM: Extinction is a death rate. We’re used to think of human beings as dying off at a rate of one or two people a year. Species ought to die off at the rate of one species in 10 million every year. What’s happening is that species are going extinct at a rate of 100 to a 1,000 species extinctions per million species. That’s a rate that’s very very much higher that we thought it was.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Home, sweet home.

#27667 Jun 28, 2014
Village administrator Tori Sims, 26, beamed as she told me:‘This has been a great year for the bears.
'They are fat, happy and healthy. We’re seeing a boom in tourism which brings much-needed revenue to the village and helps us continue to live the traditional life we cherish.
‘I’ve lived here all my life and there are more bears every year. I read stories about polar bears being on the brink of extinction because of global warming, look out of my window and start to laugh.’
SpaceBlues

Desoto, TX

#27668 Jun 28, 2014
Brian_G wrote:
Village administrator Tori Sims, 26, beamed as she told me:‘This has been a great year for the bears.
'They are fat, happy and healthy. We’re seeing a boom in tourism which brings much-needed revenue to the village and helps us continue to live the traditional life we cherish.
‘I’ve lived here all my life and there are more bears every year. I read stories about polar bears being on the brink of extinction because of global warming, look out of my window and start to laugh.’
Read my previous posts.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#27669 Jun 29, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>You are confused and wrong.
You should have looked at my link. Also go to
ipcc.ch
why would anyone want to look at ipcc for any relieable info as they too have been repetly caught lying about their findings .

Location hidden

#27670 Jun 29, 2014
Well i see not one of you can quote from what you truly believe to be an unbiased long term study ,only offer the same old worn out already discredited links to has been job scared ,money hungry people who don't really believe in what they tell all of their believers ,nor do they practice what they preach ! they only want you and i and the planet to give up our way of life while they live hi on the hog thru your donations to their scam's !
litesong

Everett, WA

#27671 Jun 29, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
the cool gray states of the Pacific Northwest will experience more days above 95 degrees Fahrenheit than Texas does now.
//////////
litesong wrote:
Possibly southeastern Oregon, with its great sunshine, might surpass the Texas of today. With all its clouds,(however), western Washington state probably won't beat Texas.
//////////
litesong continues:
As an example today, continental U.S. temperatures are warm all over the U.S., ranging from 80's to 109degF, even with storms in the Great Lakes, spreading west & south......... except for western Washington, with rain & a temperature of 68degF.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#27672 Jun 29, 2014
home in lincoln county wrote:
<quoted text> why would anyone want to look at ipcc for any relieable info as they too have been repetly caught lying about their findings .
You are confused.

The IPCC does not do research. Their findings are derived from the overwheliming science results.

I know you would not understand what I just wrote.. Why do you interfere with science results when you don't know science or mathematics.

Do they pay you to post lies?
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#27673 Jun 29, 2014
home in lincoln county wrote:
Well i see not one of you can quote from what you truly believe to be an unbiased long term study ,only offer the same old worn out already discredited links to has been job scared ,money hungry people who don't really believe in what they tell all of their believers ,nor do they practice what they preach ! they only want you and i and the planet to give up our way of life while they live hi on the hog thru your donations to their scam's !
Again you are confused.

Science is centuries old. Your silly claims do not make a difference in science. You post lies to influence the public opinion. Is it working?

How much do they pay you?
SpaceBlues

Tomball, TX

#27674 Jun 29, 2014
litesong wrote:
SpaceBlues wrote:
the cool gray states of the Pacific Northwest will experience more days above 95 degrees Fahrenheit than Texas does now.
//////////
litesong wrote:
Possibly southeastern Oregon, with its great sunshine, might surpass the Texas of today. With all its clouds,(however), western Washington state probably won't beat Texas.
//////////
litesong continues:
As an example today, continental U.S. temperatures are warm all over the U.S., ranging from 80's to 109degF, even with storms in the Great Lakes, spreading west & south......... except for western Washington, with rain & a temperature of 68degF.
Thanks for the update.

It gets harder to predict a changing global climate.

Location hidden

#27675 Jun 29, 2014
wow look at todays headline story from the university of illinois ! antarctic shelf ice sets unheard of growth ! growth of 2.074 million square klm's ! via satellite data . what do satellites lie ???

WHAT ! SAY IT CAN'T BE SO !!!! according to all you warmers you would have us to believe that the ice shelves are vanishing faster than chicken on a buffet bar ! looks like these folks prove you all wrong !!!

I always find it funny how none of you warmers ever mention a word about the ACTIVE undersea volcano / s in the area that melt the ice from the bottom up !! oh we know according to you unbiased experts these volcano's have little to no effect on the ice it's only man made ghg's that cause ice melt any place on the planet !!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alternative Energy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Senator: Obama Steals From Zika Victims To Fund... 4 hr Into The Night 17
News Trust the data: Solar energy benefits everyone 10 hr Solarman 1
News Warren Buffett's NV Energy Is Losing Customers ... 10 hr Solarman 1
News Nebraska utility head recommends closing nuclea... 18 hr Solarman 10
News 3 Energy Storage Technologies to Keep an Eye On Sat Solarman 1
News ECONOMIC RECOVERY - Keeping jobs in Valley is 2... (Jan '10) May 26 Bob is Back 8
News NextEra Hawaiian Electric Pursuit Dims as Oncor... May 25 Solarman 1
More from around the web