Expert: We must act fast on warming

Expert: We must act fast on warming

There are 28465 comments on the Kansas.com story from Sep 24, 2008, titled Expert: We must act fast on warming. In it, Kansas.com reports that:

Droughts, melting ice caps and glaciers, rising sea levels and mass extinctions will all be a reality unless the U.S. and the world cut back on carbon emissions dramatically, said James Hansen, director of ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Kansas.com.

SpaceBlues

United States

#27520 Jan 13, 2014
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Skeptical Science.
Thanx.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#27521 Jan 14, 2014
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
"Science denial almost always has nothing to do with science."
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/01/13/1269...
You and Inhofe are a lot alike. You know you're wrong, but you have your job to protect.
Yep, there are those who really believe that man and dinosaurs walked the Earth together. Since they either don't have the tools, or simply reject those tools, there is no scientific argument that they will accept. It seems some of the same mentality is present in their concepts of global warming.

God gave us the Earth for our own pleasure, to destroy as we see fit. After all, there is nothing can do to harm the Earth. It is our duty to be fruitful and multiply. Nothing else matters.:)

I happen to think that we should respect the creation and protect it as a wonderful gift.
LessHypeMoreFact

Orleans, Canada

#27522 Jan 14, 2014
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
God gave us the Earth for our own pleasure, to destroy as we see fit. After all, there is nothing can do to harm the Earth. It is our duty to be fruitful and multiply. Nothing else matters.:)
As a matter of faith, of course. Science cannot sustain such reasoning. Using the air, land and oceans as an unlimited 'open sewer' is the logic of the past and no longer valid.
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
I happen to think that we should respect the creation and protect it as a wonderful gift.
I believe that most of the denial is driven by short term profits and power. And mostly by those in power who have no connection to either the land or humanity (sociopaths, concerned only with self-interest). So they don't see the problem and benefit from ignoring it if they do.

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#27523 Jan 14, 2014
gcaveman1 wrote:
"Science denial almost always has nothing to do with science."
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/01/13/1269...
You and Inhofe are a lot alike. You know you're wrong, but you have your job to protect.
So, Senator Inhofe cares about the cost of mitigation, just like Dr. Bjorn Lomborg does. The cost of the solution is an important part of evaluating the problem. Since we've got no real world test of climate change mitigation, nobody can know how much it would cost and how much good (or harm) it would do.

Thank you for likening me to my hero, Senator Jim Inhofe. What's the most compelling experimental test for climate change mitigation have you found so far?

Location hidden

#27524 Jan 14, 2014
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>So, Senator Inhofe cares about the cost of mitigation, just like Dr. Bjorn Lomborg does. The cost of the solution is an important part of evaluating the problem. Since we've got no real world test of climate change mitigation, nobody can know how much it would cost and how much good (or harm) it would do.
Thank you for likening me to my hero, Senator Jim Inhofe. What's the most compelling experimental test for climate change mitigation have you found so far?
Senator Inhofe only care about getting elected again. He must appeal to the ignorant.

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Home, sweet home.

#27525 Jan 14, 2014
Senator Inhofe promotes the views and values of his constituents; I respect him.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#27526 Jan 14, 2014
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>Yep, there are those who really believe that man and dinosaurs walked the Earth together. Since they either don't have the tools, or simply reject those tools, there is no scientific argument that they will accept. It seems some of the same mentality is present in their concepts of global warming.
We need a Plan B because there is no Planet B.

If you are referring to the KJV, the first humans were installed in the Garden of Eden. What do we do with gardens? We take care of them, we take what we need and replant so there will be more for the future. We were meant to be stewards, not reckless consumers.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#27527 Jan 14, 2014
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>So, Senator Inhofe cares about the cost of mitigation, just like Dr. Bjorn Lomborg does. The cost of the solution is an important part of evaluating the problem. Since we've got no real world test of climate change mitigation, nobody can know how much it would cost and how much good (or harm) it would do.
Inhofe is a traitor.

Inhofe is an oil industry employee.

Inhofe's constituents are the fossil fuel interests, not the man in the street. Not so sure about the intelligence of the average Oklahoma man in the street either.

Inhofe cares about getting re-elected and padding his nest, nothing else.

Inhofe is your hero? Once again, you show your abysmal ignorance.

Inhofe can't do the ecological math, just like Lomberg can't, and just like you can't, as litesong has reported many times.

What is the cost of mitigation compared to moving every coastal city in the world inland 50 miles, while still losing some? What is the cost of losing thousands of square miles of farm land and rice patties and mangrove swamps and coral reefs? What is the cost of increasing floods and drought? What is the cost of weather gone mad?

You are a fool. I'm not. This is where we differ.

Since: Jul 13

Freehold, NJ

#27528 Jan 14, 2014
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Inhofe is a traitor.
Inhofe is an oil industry employee.
Inhofe's constituents are the fossil fuel interests, not the man in the street. Not so sure about the intelligence of the average Oklahoma man in the street either.
Inhofe cares about getting re-elected and padding his nest, nothing else.
Inhofe is your hero? Once again, you show your abysmal ignorance.
Inhofe can't do the ecological math, just like Lomberg can't, and just like you can't, as litesong has reported many times.
What is the cost of mitigation compared to moving every coastal city in the world inland 50 miles, while still losing some? What is the cost of losing thousands of square miles of farm land and rice patties and mangrove swamps and coral reefs? What is the cost of increasing floods and drought? What is the cost of weather gone mad?
You are a fool. I'm not. This is where we differ.
You are correct, gw will destroy much of what we see here today.
http://www.aip.org/history/climate/floods.htm
So, did we believe Mercer? Think about it.....what was the first year we installed pollution control device on ICE engines (internal combustion engines) Yup, in 1969 car manufactures installed a PCV valve on ICE engines. This was our big response to Mercers report. We should have banned the production of ICE engines in 1969.
The face of global warming does not lie in the Atmosphere but in the Oceans were 90% of the radiated heat is absorbed. Since Mercers report all of the Ice Shelves are gone or nearly gone (a small percent of one remains) less than 5% on the Western side of Antarctica.
These Ice shelf's provided a buttressing affect on the wais.(western Antarctica ice sheet)
El-Nino is coming .. the three warmest years on record are 1998, 2005 and 2010, oddly enough these were all El Nino events. With The South Pacific equaling 30% of the Earths surface the climate event's of the next El Nino will be devastating. More than this is what the influx of this warm waters .09f to 1.4F higher will do to the WAIS without the Ice sheets protecting it .... well Mercer said it. The resulting abrupt sea level rise will trigger events in the arctic, feed back loops that we could not stop.
If ya have the time Google the GRACE satellite and look at the gravitational shifts in Antarctica ...The massive loss of ice in the western portion is very disturbing, but check out the eastern side...there is a small shift there as well.
SpaceBlues

United States

#27529 Jan 14, 2014
And the GRACE Climate Experiment.

Location hidden

#27530 Jan 14, 2014
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
We need a Plan B because there is no Planet B.
If you are referring to the KJV, the first humans were installed in the Garden of Eden. What do we do with gardens? We take care of them, we take what we need and replant so there will be more for the future. We were meant to be stewards, not reckless consumers.
I agree. Just a little tongue in cheek........

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Home, sweet home.

#27531 Jan 15, 2014
gcaveman1 wrote:
Inhofe is a traitor.
^No, gcaveman must defame political opponents because there's no experimental evidence of climate change mitigation or man made catastrophic climate change. I can prove this; Inhofe is faithful to our values. We use energy and fuel; Jim understands and fights for our interests. Here's evidence:

gcaveman1 wrote:
Inhofe is an oil industry employee. Inhofe's constituents are the fossil fuel interests, not the man in the street. Not so sure about the intelligence of the average Oklahoma man in the street either.
No, Inhofe isn't an oil industry employee, but most of his constituents are oil industry employees and their customers. Senator Inhofe faithfully represents the best interests of his constituents.

gcaveman1 wrote:
Inhofe cares about getting re-elected and padding his nest, nothing else. Inhofe is your hero? Once again, you show your abysmal ignorance.
Inhofe can't do the ecological math, just like Lomberg can't, and just like you can't, as litesong has reported many times. What is the cost of mitigation compared to moving every coastal city in the world inland 50 miles, while still losing some? What is the cost of losing thousands of square miles of farm land and rice patties and mangrove swamps and coral reefs? What is the cost of increasing floods and drought? What is the cost of weather gone mad? You are a fool. I'm not. This is where we differ.
"What is the cost of weather gone mad?" If you believe you can fix climate with a tax, then it isn't broken and yes, you are a fool.

We must wait until we have the technology to add and remove large amounts of greenhouse gas to or from the atmosphere, and then measure a change in global atmospheric composition and/or temperature. Until then, we're just whistling in the dark.
SpaceBlues

United States

#27532 Jan 15, 2014
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>^
We must wait until we have the technology to add and remove large amounts of greenhouse gas to or from the atmosphere, and then measure a change in global atmospheric composition and/or temperature. Until then, we're just whistling in the dark.
You are the one "just whistling in the dark."

After 44,678 posts, you still deny that "we have the technology to add and remove large amounts of greenhouse gas to or from the atmosphere, and then measure a change in global atmospheric composition and/or temperature."

Just read the topix heading, LOL.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#27534 Jan 15, 2014
Brian G is a oil industry lackey, a propaganda machine that trolls all climate forums to put out misinformation. NONE of it even comes close to the truth. Post after post saying the same thing, yet despite the mounting evidence day by day still insists fossil fuels and emissions are no problem. Science says man is the cause, he says there is nothing we can do about. There is no factual evidence in anything he posts and history will record his kind like its recorded Stalin & Hitler for all the good they gave humanity.

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Home, sweet home.

#27535 Jan 16, 2014
I'm an oil industry customer; OzRitz wants to increase energy and fuel prices for all consumers. That's his cure of climate change mitigation; new taxes.

If the climate can be fixed with a tax, then it isn't broken.
LessHypeMoreFact

Orleans, Canada

#27536 Jan 16, 2014
Brian_G wrote:
I'm an oil industry customer;
Everyone is. You are avoiding the admission that you are either heavily invested or tied to the industry, something that is OBVIOUS from the blind obedience you display.
Brian_G wrote:
OzRitz wants to increase energy and fuel prices for all consumers.
Non-sequitur. He has said nothing of the sort. And higher efficiency or alternative supplies (i.e green energy) will generally LOWER prices, since it provides competition to what otherwise is a monopoly. You are really really ignorant on economics.
Brian_G wrote:
That's his cure of climate change mitigation; new taxes.
Again, putting word into someone elses mouth. Myself, I support a revenue neutral 'carbon surcharge' which is, of course, not a tax but a shift in the pricing structure.
Brian_G wrote:
Money will be involved in fixing ANYTHING. OR breaking it. Money is irrelevant to the issue. It is merely a measure of effort. Again, your ignorance on economics is showing.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#27537 Jan 16, 2014
Brian_G wrote:
I'm an oil industry customer; OzRitz wants to increase energy and fuel prices for all consumers. That's his cure of climate change mitigation; new taxes.
Unfortunately we don't live in a utopia world. That means if you relied on goodwill for people not to dump rubbish in a national park, or not to put sewage into a river etc etc then all would be fine. So when it comes to reducing emissions the only way to make that happen is to make us pay a penalty for doing so. Then we think twice before wasting energy or fuel.

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Home, sweet home.

#27539 Jan 17, 2014
Carbon dioxide isn't rubbish; it is vital for life. Don't hate CO2, learn about science. There has never been an experimental test of climate change mitigation; that's how you can know it's a hoax and man made catastrophic climate change is pseudoscience.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#27540 Jan 17, 2014
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>^No, gcaveman must defame political opponents because there's no experimental evidence of climate change mitigation or man made catastrophic climate change. I can prove this; Inhofe is faithful to our values. We use energy and fuel; Jim understands and fights for our interests. Here's evidence:
<quoted text>No, Inhofe isn't an oil industry employee, but most of his constituents are oil industry employees and their customers. Senator Inhofe faithfully represents the best interests of his constituents.
<quoted text>"What is the cost of weather gone mad?" If you believe you can fix climate with a tax, then it isn't broken and yes, you are a fool.
"Sen. Jim Inhofe (R-OK) told WABC-AM that he was initially intrigued when former Vice President Al Gore began warning about human-induced climate change but became skeptical after discovering that environmental regulations might prove costly to business."

Inhofe is ignorant, just like you. He has never investigated whether environmental regulations might prove costly to business. If he had, he would find, that in almost every case, environmental regulations have HELPED the industries that were regulated, as well as improving air or water quality.

Inhofe is an oil industry employee, in actions and words, and receives much of his campaign funding from it. Just like you, I suspect.

Waiting is for cowards and traitors, including you. You have forgotten that this country has always lead, always innovated and invented, and if not for the obstructionism of fossil fuel interests and republicunts, we would be making the big bucks in solar and wind right now, instead of handing our leadership mantle to the Chinese and the Germans.

You are a traitor to your country. I am not. This is where we differ.
litesong

Everett, WA

#27541 Jan 17, 2014
gcaveman1 wrote:
You("lyin' brian") are a traitor to your country. I am not.
gcaveman1....... But, "lyin' brian" is dedicated to his 2-bit oil can job. Run by an international business, that used to be American, that gave that up for more profits?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alternative Energy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Immigrant volunteer helps low-income families h... 3 hr Mohamed Hauter 1
News Soros Says U.S. Carbon Cap Would Spur Billions ... (Jan '10) Jul 19 Mail order bride 39
News Ontario wind turbine plant to close, hundreds o... Jul 18 stupid 2 allow this 1
News Governor Cuomo Announces Eight Finalists For 76... Jul 18 whatever 1
News Al Gore warns that Trump is ignoring weather ap... Jul 17 fingers mcgurke 83
News Ontario taxpayers on hook for $25 million over ... Jul 12 more 1
News The Economic Reality Of Proposed Tariffs On Solar Jul 8 Solarman 1
More from around the web