Expert: We must act fast on warming

Expert: We must act fast on warming

There are 28112 comments on the Kansas.com story from Sep 24, 2008, titled Expert: We must act fast on warming. In it, Kansas.com reports that:

Droughts, melting ice caps and glaciers, rising sea levels and mass extinctions will all be a reality unless the U.S. and the world cut back on carbon emissions dramatically, said James Hansen, director of ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Kansas.com.

gcaveman1

Laurel, MS

#27315 Oct 13, 2013
My government professor stated that "common sense" is often just another word for long-entrenched prejudices.

Well-worn cliches' are no match for real climate science.

If it looks like an idiot, sounds like an idiot, walks like an idiot...it must be an idiot.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#27316 Oct 13, 2013
However.. "The federal government's research agencies have been largely shuttered, with scientists sent home and projects shelved," it read. "There are five Nobel Prize-winning researchers currently working for the federal government, all of whom are world-renowned scientists and leaders in their field. Four of them are currently furloughed and unable to conduct their federal research on behalf of the American public due to the government shutdown."

Among the agencies mentioned, the National Science Foundation has had it the worst. Ninety-eight percent of its employees have been furloughed, and the organization has not issued any new scientific research grants. The NSF funds non-medical science and engineering research and education programs across the country.

The National Institutes of Health, the nation's top medical research facility, has lost almost three-quarters of its staff, forcing it to turn away most new patients from its studies. Funding for the NIH became a focal point of debate early in the shutdown when reports emerged that children with cancer were being denied entry into potentially life-saving studies.

The majority of Americans may feel the greatest impact, however, from the cuts at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta. Two-thirds of its personnel have been sent home, and as flu season begins, influenza monitoring has been cut back, according to the White House.

Still, the CDC will continue its most important role in monitoring any imminent threats to the public's health, and most flu vaccines are produced by private companies.[CNN}
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

#27317 Oct 13, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
My government professor stated that "common sense" is often just another word for long-entrenched prejudices.
Well.'Common Sense' isn't always prejudice. For example the idea that the earth is flat started as 'common sense', until science clarified the matter. Sometime during the Greek era..
gcaveman1 wrote:
Nothing replaces science and policies should be based on sound science. So said the Republicans when they were the party of reason, before god and Ronald Reagan became 'sacred cows'. Or is that a cliche..
gcaveman1 wrote:
If it looks like an idiot, sounds like an idiot, walks like an idiot...it must be an idiot.
It PROBABLY is an idiot. But the one judging may have Kruger Dunning syndrome. To be sure, you need an objective standard of 'idiocy'. I'm sure some of the denialists here could serve.. ;-)
litesong

Monroe, WA

#27318 Oct 13, 2013
[QUOTE who="slimy steenking filthy vile reprobate rooting(& rotting) racist pukey proud pig lyin' brian"].......don't buy a pig in a poke.[/QUOTE]

But poke a slimy steenking filthy vile reprobate rooting(& rotting) racist pukey proud pig.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#27319 Oct 13, 2013
SoE wrote:
I'm not a scientist
REALLY ?
Yes, true. I'm not scientist.

I do understand the scientific method; what's the most compelling test you've found for climate change mitigation?

SoE wrote:
I'd be happy to present one, if you can site a compelling experiment for climate change mitigation
It's your show...A cleaner environment would seem to be worthwhile.
On this we agree, but we don't need more government regulation, spending or higher taxes. We need information, not mandates.

SoE wrote:
You do however strike me as a used Trabant salesman.
(What's the best feature of a Trabant?: There's a heater at the back to keep your hands warm when you're pushing it.)
That's good. I like Audi's seat heaters, they keep my a## warm while driving it...

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#27320 Oct 13, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
Your prof.is 100 % correct ! However what he neglected to tell you and the rest in his class is that it is his lack of common sense that he reserves his well worn cliches only for someone of an opposing view ,thought , printed word etc. yep sounds like he's a real closed minded only interested in his views and a real bigot ,but not at all shocked he's teaching in a college somewhere I am sure he fits right in with the rest of the intolerent , bigoted ,blind , liberal . deaf and dumb asaped professors at you center of higher learning . Just hope your or the taxpayers are getting what you / we payed for .
And please show us all some 100 150 500 year climate studies that are based on proof of man made climate change and not some job scared climate hack professor's guess work models , they don't exist just like the ghost of climate change .

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#27321 Oct 13, 2013
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
But poke a slimy steenking filthy vile reprobate rooting(& rotting) racist pukey proud pig.
Darned swan song I am sure I smoked some of that stuff you use today back in the 60' s but I don't remember talking in un know jibbbbbbberish B.S. man you need to lay off for a while and gather your thought hopefully it's not to late , you may have caused sever brain damage ( as if you ever had one ) to your self !
SoE

Sioux Falls, SD

#27322 Oct 13, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>On this we agree, but
It would help if you would not change the subject mid sentence..
In science definition one must keep within the same terms...
Perhaps taxes along with your caps lock are causing the upward turn of global temp and contemporary political thought as believed
by the deferential of mainstream herpetologists...also may be shared by those with carbon interests ?

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#27323 Oct 14, 2013
Then, we've seen 15 years without continued warming; problem solved. You should be happy, we've mitigated climate change without carbon taxes or caps on CO2 output.
litesong

Monroe, WA

#27324 Oct 14, 2013
[QUOTE who="lyin' brian"]Yes, true. I'm not scientist.
I do understand the scientific method......[/QUOTE]

The only thing you retained from your first page 8th grade science class was the first paragraph. After that, your advancement in science stopped, because you understood nothing at all.
gcaveman1

Laurel, MS

#27325 Oct 14, 2013
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
Well.'Common Sense' isn't always prejudice. For example the idea that the earth is flat started as 'common sense', until science clarified the matter. Sometime during the Greek era..
<quoted text>
Nothing replaces science and policies should be based on sound science. So said the Republicans when they were the party of reason, before god and Ronald Reagan became 'sacred cows'. Or is that a cliche..
<quoted text>

It PROBABLY is an idiot. But the one judging may have Kruger Dunning syndrome. To be sure, you need an objective standard of 'idiocy'. I'm sure some of the denialists here could serve.. ;-)
I believe that 97% of us believe that there is a 95% chance that Brain_Dead is 100% idiot.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#27326 Oct 14, 2013
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
The only thing you retained from your first page 8th grade science class was the first paragraph. After that, your advancement in science stopped, because you understood nothing at all.
A lot of attention to b_gone..

Gee litesong, did you know this:

Explanation: Is the Sun always straight up at noontime? No. For example, the Sun never appears directly overhead from locations well north or south of the Earth's equator. Conversely, there is always a place on Earth where the Sun will appear at zenith at noon -- for example on the equator during an equinox. Turning the problem around, however, as in finding where the Sun actually appears to be at high noon, is as easy as waiting for midday, pointing your camera up, and taking a picture. If you do this often enough, you find that as the days march by, the Sun slowly traces out a figure eight on the sky. Pictured above is one such high noon analemma -- a series of pictures always taken at exactly noontime over the course of a year. The above fisheye image, accumulated mostly during 2012, also shows some buildings and trees of Baku, Azerbaijan around the edges.

http://asterisk.apod.com/library/APOD/APOD%20...

Hope you see it!

Since: Mar 09

Conway, AR

#27327 Oct 14, 2013
home in lincoln county wrote:
<quoted text> No I'll leave the mouthing and lack of gumption to you and the rest of the so called x spurts here , as all of you are x spurts at running of the mouth based on little or no facts just more scare mongering and B. S. links to your fellow doom and gloomers !
Another empty reply from an empty head. Admit it! You just can't back up your mouth.
litesong

Monroe, WA

#27328 Oct 14, 2013
at home in lynching county wrote:
I am sure I smoked some of that stuff..... back in the 60's.....
Now we know WHY you have no science or mathematics degrees or any science, chemistry, astronomy, physics, algebra or pre-calc in your poorly earned hi skule DEE-plooomaa.
litesong

Monroe, WA

#27329 Oct 14, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
Gee litesong, did you know this:
analemma --
Yeah, the equation of time is the east & west components of the analemma. Ptolemy tried to force the solar system into an Earth centered universe based on circles. Copernicus tried to force the solar system into a sun centered universe based on circles. Only Johannes Kepler got it right, calculating equi-area-time elliptical orbits of Earth & other planets around the Sun to accurately match Tycho's meticulous observations.

I love the 12 inch Earth globes, that include the analemma.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#27330 Oct 14, 2013
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, the equation of time is the east & west components of the analemma. Ptolemy tried to force the solar system into an Earth centered universe based on circles. Copernicus tried to force the solar system into a sun centered universe based on circles. Only Johannes Kepler got it right, calculating equi-area-time elliptical orbits of Earth & other planets around the Sun to accurately match Tycho's meticulous observations.
I love the 12 inch Earth globes, that include the analemma.
This photographer Tunc Tezel has been taking first of a kind photos. You can follow the links to more like the sunrise analemma, tutulemma, etc.

“Earth's #1 Brain.”

Since: Oct 13

Norvelt

#27331 Oct 14, 2013
GreenTV wrote:
GreenTV has an exclusive video interview with Dr. Hansen and Good Morning Show's Ann Curry.
You can view it free at http://www.greentv.com/
My best to all,
Lori Lake
CFO: GreenTV
Yes!
We must act fast before people realize anthropogenic climate change is a BS Libtard hoax meant to redistribute wealth.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#27332 Oct 14, 2013
The Abstruse Polymath wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes!
We must act fast before people realize anthropogenic climate change is a BS Libtard hoax meant to redistribute wealth.
Correction.. We must act fast before the fossil fuel interests and their shills redistribute all public resources as their own wealth via anthropogenic global warming and resulting climate change and other consequences.

“Earth's #1 Brain.”

Since: Oct 13

Norvelt

#27333 Oct 14, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Correction.. We must act fast before the fossil fuel interests and their shills redistribute all public resources as their own wealth via anthropogenic global warming and resulting climate change and other consequences.
Is it fun living in your own imaginary world of ignorance?
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#27334 Oct 14, 2013
The Abstruse Polymath wrote:
<quoted text>
Is it fun living in your own imaginary world of ignorance?
My correction is based on science.

You are hysterical, no-polymath. Start reading..

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2013/05/07/1...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alternative Energy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News XsunX Secures Two Large Commercial Solar Projects 1 hr karland 1
News Carport Will Also Generate Power For CU (Jul '11) 1 hr karland 3
News Australian scientists announce solar energy bre... 17 hr I like Chinese 116
News Pros And Cons Of Solar Energy Sun Solarman 1
News Tech Giants Fight Renewable Energy Freeze In No... Sun Solarman 1
News Investors turning away from green energy Sun Solarman 1
News Capstone commissions Goulais Bay wind farm Sat community 1
More from around the web