Expert: We must act fast on warming

Expert: We must act fast on warming

There are 28335 comments on the Kansas.com story from Sep 24, 2008, titled Expert: We must act fast on warming. In it, Kansas.com reports that:

Droughts, melting ice caps and glaciers, rising sea levels and mass extinctions will all be a reality unless the U.S. and the world cut back on carbon emissions dramatically, said James Hansen, director of ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Kansas.com.

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

#27297 Oct 8, 2013
home in lincoln county wrote:
<quoted text> Wow Blozo not don't pop take a breath and count to 1000 ( could we be so lucky ), But seriously would it really matter if I were to post links to the reports ,the reports themselves ? No not really because you and I both know that you and the other believers here would never take the time to read them anyway . And like I posted I am not going to do your work for you if you are really interested you know how to do a little research and find these reports the same as I . Or is this how you and the rest of the believers have gone through life by letting other do your research - work for you ?
I see, all blow and no go.... Typical. What's the matter, can't yo find enough real science to back up your lies?
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

#27298 Oct 8, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
I see, all blow and no go.... Typical. What's the matter, can't yo find enough real science to back up your lies?
Haven't you noticed? The denialist spam is seriously slowing down. I think that they are run the course and even the diehards are getting tired of trying to find SOME sliver of hope for their 'cause'.

Now, when the industry funded spam sites like Heritage Institute for the Criminally insane goes down, we'll know it's over.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#27299 Oct 9, 2013
WOW ! what a study from the University of Exeter U.K. how very interesting that water channeling has been going on in the Antarctic for centuries ! Even before man made globull climate change ! Oh well looks like this research continues to prove that the doom and gloom climate sayers and their believers ( followers ) are and continue to be wrong .

And yes I cherry pick this story just as the believers here do !

Location hidden

#27300 Oct 9, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
Now Blozo my lies are as accurate and fact filled as any from you or the other believers .
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#27301 Oct 9, 2013
Researchers sought to identify the point at which temperature oscillations in each area will exceed the bounds of historical variability. Such ‘climate departures’ are predicted to start in the tropics and then spread to higher latitudes. If carbon dioxide emissions continue unabated, Earth’s mean climate could depart from historical averages in 2047.

“Very soon, extreme events will become the norm,” says lead author Camilo Mora, an environmental researcher at the University of Hawaii at Manoa.

Because temperatures in the tropics vary little between seasons, even a slight increase in the average temperature could lead to unprecedented conditions — with negative consequences for ecosystems that are home to much of the world's biodiversity. Many tropical nations also have limited economic capacity to adapt or otherwise respond to such threats.
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

#27302 Oct 9, 2013
WOW ! what a study from the University of Exeter U.K. how very interesting that water channeling has been going on in the Antarctic for centuries !!
Yes. The best reference for it seems to be tinyurl.com/m4stuof which shows one of the channels. This will help us to make models of the glacier flow to refine the rate of mass loss in ice sheets. It was thought that the water flowed out as a fine sheet under the ice instead of in channels, but they should have remembered the formation of 'moraines' from the ice ages..
Even before man made globull climate change ! Oh well looks like this research continues to prove that the doom and gloom climate sayers and their believers ( followers ) are and continue to be wrong .
no. It proves that science is continuing to learn, unlike "home in lincoln county' whose brain froze solid years ago.
And yes I cherry pick this story just as the believers here do !
It is an interesting and relevant fact. I can see that you posted it by mistake. No need to apologize..

Wichita, KS

#27303 Oct 10, 2013
<quoted text> Now Blozo my lies are as accurate and fact filled as any from you or the other believers .
How would you know since you can find no science to back up your claims? Of course some egos don't need any other verification or facts. Some just know more than the experts.....

Location hidden

#27304 Oct 11, 2013
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. The best reference for it seems to be tinyurl.com/m4stuof which shows one of the channels. This will help us to make models of the glacier flow to refine the rate of mass loss in ice sheets. It was thought that the water flowed out as a fine sheet under the ice instead of in channels, but they should have remembered the formation of 'moraines' from the ice ages..
<quoted text>
no. It proves that science is continuing to learn, unlike "home in lincoln county' whose brain froze solid years ago.
<quoted text>
It is an interesting and relevant fact. I can see that you posted it by mistake. No need to apologize..
No it proves that what is said about globull change is false as it is has and continues to be a natural earth cycle and I never post anything by mistake .

Location hidden

#27305 Oct 11, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
How would you know since you can find no science to back up your claims? Of course some egos don't need any other verification or facts. Some just know more than the experts.....
What because I won't do your work for you by posting links to the news that I read don't mean I know nothing about science it tells us all that you and the rest of the X spurts are to lazy to search for your selve's . But of course we all know that you believers only get your info. from one source The Doom and Gloom Daily .
And while we're on the subject of ego's seriously I have to ask have any of you seen such inflated ego's like the so calle x spurts on these pages have ? I am shocked that any of them can get their over inflated x spurt heads through door !

Wichita, KS

#27307 Oct 11, 2013
<quoted text> What because I won't do your work for you by posting links to the news that I read don't mean I know nothing about science it tells us all that you and the rest of the X spurts are to lazy to search for your selve's . But of course we all know that you believers only get your info. from one source The Doom and Gloom Daily .
And while we're on the subject of ego's seriously I have to ask have any of you seen such inflated ego's like the so calle x spurts on these pages have ? I am shocked that any of them can get their over inflated x spurt heads through door !
Like I said, you cannot back up your mouth.....

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#27309 Oct 12, 2013
SoE wrote:
With your obsessive desire for a compelling experiment I would have thought you would have designed/presented one by now... I wonder why you haven't ?
I'm not a scientist; it's not my job to design experiments. I'd be happy to present one, if you can site a compelling experiment for climate change mitigation?

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Home, sweet home.

#27310 Oct 12, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
Your demand for an experiment is pointless.
The point is common sense: don't buy a pig in a poke. Don't you get it? Nothing succeeds like success, show me the money. It's really very simple, don't buy something you don't need or want.

gcaveman1 wrote:
You are an idiot. I am not. This is where we differ.
^^^This is a matter of opinion. I don't characterize my political or intellectual opponents as 'idiots'; I address rational argument. Ad hominem fallacies don't mean more than insult.

Location hidden

#27311 Oct 12, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
Like I said, you cannot back up your mouth.....
No I'll leave the mouthing and lack of gumption to you and the rest of the so called x spurts here , as all of you are x spurts at running of the mouth based on little or no facts just more scare mongering and B. S. links to your fellow doom and gloomers !

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Home, sweet home.

#27312 Oct 12, 2013
They don't "act fast on warming" in the Maldives, just back from a wonderful tropical vacation. I didn't see a single wind, ocean or solar power generator, other than two sailboats.

They use fossil fuel to power their boats and the island's electricity. Coral needs carbon dioxide to secrete calcium carbonate.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#27313 Oct 12, 2013
Crazy people posting in topix.. welp
SoE

Sioux Falls, SD

#27314 Oct 13, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I'm not a scientist; it's not my job to design experiments. I'd be happy to present one, if you can site a compelling experiment for climate change mitigation?
I'm not a scientist
REALLY ?
I'd be happy to present one, if you can site a compelling experiment for climate change mitigation
It's your show...A cleaner environment would seem to be worthwhile.
You do however strike me as a used Trabant salesman.
(What's the best feature of a Trabant?: There's a heater at the back to keep your hands warm when you're pushing it.)
gcaveman1

Laurel, MS

#27315 Oct 13, 2013
My government professor stated that "common sense" is often just another word for long-entrenched prejudices.

Well-worn cliches' are no match for real climate science.

If it looks like an idiot, sounds like an idiot, walks like an idiot...it must be an idiot.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#27316 Oct 13, 2013
However.. "The federal government's research agencies have been largely shuttered, with scientists sent home and projects shelved," it read. "There are five Nobel Prize-winning researchers currently working for the federal government, all of whom are world-renowned scientists and leaders in their field. Four of them are currently furloughed and unable to conduct their federal research on behalf of the American public due to the government shutdown."

Among the agencies mentioned, the National Science Foundation has had it the worst. Ninety-eight percent of its employees have been furloughed, and the organization has not issued any new scientific research grants. The NSF funds non-medical science and engineering research and education programs across the country.

The National Institutes of Health, the nation's top medical research facility, has lost almost three-quarters of its staff, forcing it to turn away most new patients from its studies. Funding for the NIH became a focal point of debate early in the shutdown when reports emerged that children with cancer were being denied entry into potentially life-saving studies.

The majority of Americans may feel the greatest impact, however, from the cuts at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta. Two-thirds of its personnel have been sent home, and as flu season begins, influenza monitoring has been cut back, according to the White House.

Still, the CDC will continue its most important role in monitoring any imminent threats to the public's health, and most flu vaccines are produced by private companies.[CNN}
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

#27317 Oct 13, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
My government professor stated that "common sense" is often just another word for long-entrenched prejudices.
Well.'Common Sense' isn't always prejudice. For example the idea that the earth is flat started as 'common sense', until science clarified the matter. Sometime during the Greek era..
gcaveman1 wrote:
Well-worn cliches' are no match for real climate science.
Nothing replaces science and policies should be based on sound science. So said the Republicans when they were the party of reason, before god and Ronald Reagan became 'sacred cows'. Or is that a cliche..
gcaveman1 wrote:
If it looks like an idiot, sounds like an idiot, walks like an idiot...it must be an idiot.
It PROBABLY is an idiot. But the one judging may have Kruger Dunning syndrome. To be sure, you need an objective standard of 'idiocy'. I'm sure some of the denialists here could serve.. ;-)
litesong

Monroe, WA

#27318 Oct 13, 2013
[QUOTE who="slimy steenking filthy vile reprobate rooting(& rotting) racist pukey proud pig lyin' brian"].......don't buy a pig in a poke.[/QUOTE]

But poke a slimy steenking filthy vile reprobate rooting(& rotting) racist pukey proud pig.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alternative Energy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Solar power push heads back to court 23 hr Solarman 1
News Oregon, Brown take steps toward securing $47M-p... Mon irene 1
News Brown seeks to broaden California's clean-energ... Sun Solarman 1
News Renewable Energy Doing So Well That Subsidies C... Sun Solarman 1
News Solar energy fails a free market test Sun Joe Balls 7
News Energy Delusions Aug 30 Solarman 1
News Solar advocates see bright opportunity in north... Aug 30 Solarman 1
More from around the web