Expert: We must act fast on warming

Expert: We must act fast on warming

There are 28456 comments on the Kansas.com story from Sep 24, 2008, titled Expert: We must act fast on warming. In it, Kansas.com reports that:

Droughts, melting ice caps and glaciers, rising sea levels and mass extinctions will all be a reality unless the U.S. and the world cut back on carbon emissions dramatically, said James Hansen, director of ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Kansas.com.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#27093 Aug 2, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, we have discussed all that here. The natural carbon cycle retains a balance between respiration and photosynthesis. The net CO2 remains nearly constant. The burning of fossil fuel releases additional CO2 into the atmosphere causing the increase in concentration that scientists have measured.
Also measurement has found that the net amount of glacier ice is decreasing. One of the results of global warming is increased snowfall because of additional water vapor in the atmosphere due to the heating. Even with the increased snowfall in certain areas, more is melting in the summer than is accumulating.
funny how every change in weather is blamed on globul whining , that must really be some bad stuff to have caused the southern polar region to change from a tropical rain forest to the frozen place of today and how about the dust bowl years in the U.S.? the several ice ages areas of the planet has gone through since the planet has been here , the world wide floods ,droughts , all before man was even here !
really we need to blame every change in weather / climate since time began on manmade global climate change ! yet man has only been here how many years ? Must have been or still is all that dinosaur gasssss !

your science don't lie , one degree in one hundred years , 5 %, no common sense !
The Integral

Hilo, HI

#27094 Aug 2, 2013
home in lincoln county wrote:
<quoted text> funny how every change in weather is blamed on globul whining , that must really be some bad stuff to have caused the southern polar region to change from a tropical rain forest to the frozen place of today and how about the dust bowl years in the U.S.? the several ice ages areas of the planet has gone through since the planet has been here , the world wide floods ,droughts , all before man was even here !
really we need to blame every change in weather / climate since time began on manmade global climate change ! yet man has only been here how many years ? Must have been or still is all that dinosaur gasssss !
your science don't lie , one degree in one hundred years , 5 %, no common sense !
It is good to know that you are smarter than 97% of scientists. You are a typical global warming denier. Climate change denial is a set of organized attempts to downplay, deny or dismiss the scientific consensus on the extent of global warming, its significance, and its connection to human behavior, especially for commercial or ideological reasons.Typically, these attempts take the rhetorical form of legitimate scientific debate, while not adhering to the actual principles of that debate.[3] Climate change denial has been associated with the energy lobby, industry advocates and free market think tanks, often in the United States. Some commentators describe climate change denial as a particular form of denialism.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#27096 Aug 3, 2013
The Integral wrote:
<quoted text>
It is good to know that you are smarter than 97% of scientists. You are a typical global warming denier. Climate change denial is a set of organized attempts to downplay, deny or dismiss the scientific consensus on the extent of global warming, its significance, and its connection to human behavior, especially for commercial or ideological reasons.Typically, these attempts take the rhetorical form of legitimate scientific debate, while not adhering to the actual principles of that debate.[3] Climate change denial has been associated with the energy lobby, industry advocates and free market think tanks, often in the United States. Some commentators describe climate change denial as a particular form of denialism.
Thanks! I don't need to answer the ignorant post. The logic displayed is that because it happened millions of years ago, man cannot do anything to cause climate change today. Totally stupid empty argument.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#27097 Aug 5, 2013
So then both of you Boozer and un intergal are both saying that the history of this planet is a lie ? remember that some of these same scientist that work on both sciences and these were ( are ) not my findings but theirs . So then we can all assume from your post that you don't believe what they have said about the climate change history of the planet . so then how do you expect the rest of us to believe their ( your ) lies !
Sorry ya can't have it both ways ! which helps to prove the science of warming is false and a lie unto it's self.
For the record i don't or have ever been employed by and energy company or friend , been retired close to 25 years .
one degree , 5%, no common sense and your science IS A LIE ! not my words but yours !

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#27098 Aug 5, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks! I don't need to answer the ignorant post. The logic displayed is that because it happened millions of years ago, man cannot do anything to cause climate change today. Totally stupid empty argument.
Well as usual you can't read i never said that man could not cause change , but that it's been going on since time on this planet began .
the planet has always righted itself WITHOUT HELP FROM WARMERS or scientist and will continue to do so.
yet you never disagree with my post of one degree or 5%, you just go on and on about a so called science and scientist that over the last few years have done more to discourage people from believing their findings because their finding were PROVED to be out right lies made to only keep themselves employed .
but yet my science of common sense PROVES beyond any doubt that we are not in danger from becoming a fireball or flooded wasteland .
one degree and % 5 is the given average for man made ghg's by your science and scientist yet you deny it , do you truly believe that in earths past that some natural earth or solar event that the level was who knows how much higher for hundreds , thousands , or millions of years and what happened the planet fixed it self without anyones help and will continue to do so .
we humans are just one life forms that has lived on this mud ball what makes us special that we think we can control everything by science .
what if 60 years from today we have a massive solar discharge that will cook almost every life form here or massive volcanic ash discharge that blots out the sun for a few hundred years ( and these are REAL ghg's that HAVE happened in the past )do you really think that most life forms including man will survive ? i dare say no we won't . but in the blink of an eye in time life will start over as it has done since day one .
bassleman

West Mifflin, PA

#27099 Aug 6, 2013
youtube.com/watch... Get a Grip dudes

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#27100 Aug 6, 2013
home in lincoln county wrote:
<quoted text> Well as usual you can't read i never said that man could not cause change , but that it's been going on since time on this planet began .
the planet has always righted itself WITHOUT HELP FROM WARMERS or scientist and will continue to do so.
yet you never disagree with my post of one degree or 5%, you just go on and on about a so called science and scientist that over the last few years have done more to discourage people from believing their findings because their finding were PROVED to be out right lies made to only keep themselves employed .
but yet my science of common sense PROVES beyond any doubt that we are not in danger from becoming a fireball or flooded wasteland .
one degree and % 5 is the given average for man made ghg's by your science and scientist yet you deny it , do you truly believe that in earths past that some natural earth or solar event that the level was who knows how much higher for hundreds , thousands , or millions of years and what happened the planet fixed it self without anyones help and will continue to do so .
we humans are just one life forms that has lived on this mud ball what makes us special that we think we can control everything by science .
what if 60 years from today we have a massive solar discharge that will cook almost every life form here or massive volcanic ash discharge that blots out the sun for a few hundred years ( and these are REAL ghg's that HAVE happened in the past )do you really think that most life forms including man will survive ? i dare say no we won't . but in the blink of an eye in time life will start over as it has done since day one .
It is apparent that you are either unable to think or are simply aa uninformed denier.

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#27101 Aug 6, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
It is apparent that you are either unable to think or are simply aa uninformed denier.
Trouble is... he is right on the numbers. Of the 15(?) warming models built to predict the climate change progress, ALL but 1 have proven wrong, and if temperature trends continue for another few months, the last one will fall too.

Most folks agree that adding GHGs to the atmosphere OUGHT TO raise the temperature in a predictable way. But "otta ain't is". "Global Warming" or "Climate Change" or whatever the current term is, SHOULD be, but doesn't appear to ACTUALLY be.

Why is that?

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#27102 Aug 6, 2013
KitemanSA wrote:
<quoted text> Trouble is... he is right on the numbers. Of the 15(?) warming models built to predict the climate change progress, ALL but 1 have proven wrong, and if temperature trends continue for another few months, the last one will fall too.
Most folks agree that adding GHGs to the atmosphere OUGHT TO raise the temperature in a predictable way. But "otta ain't is". "Global Warming" or "Climate Change" or whatever the current term is, SHOULD be, but doesn't appear to ACTUALLY be.
Why is that?
It is not only the temperature of the atmosphere that is pertinent. There is no doubt that the heat content of the Earth is increasing. The ocean is a very large actor in the atmospheric heat content. The ocean is storing heat. Melting ice does not change temperature but absorbs much heat.

The models are constantly being refined to account for these factors. As new factors are found, they also will be incorporated. The Earth is gaining heat. CO2 is a significant factor in this heat gain.

It is the media of denial that is in question. There is no conspiracy by scientists to pad the data. There is no economic machine to promote finding AGW. There is an attempt by vested interests to deny the science.

Be a good citizen and open your horizons beyond political prejudices.
litesong

Everett, WA

#27103 Aug 6, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
It is apparent that you are either unable to think or are simply aa uninformed denier.
Definition of an AGW denier is, "unable to think & simply uninformed". You did not need to add, "denier". Remember, the vast majority of AGW deniers have no science or mathematics degrees. A great percentage of AGW deniers have no science, chemistry, astronomy, physics, algebra or pre-calc in their poorly earned hi skule DEE-plooomaas. AGW deniers who have attempted math have ended with errors of 1 million TIMES, 1000 TIMES, 3000 TIMES, 73 million TIMES, 2.5 trillion TIMES, & one thousand, thousand thousand thousand thousand TIMES.
litesong

Everett, WA

#27104 Aug 6, 2013
In addition:

Many toxic topix AGW deniers have no hi skule DEE-plooomaa, at all.
litesong

Everett, WA

#27105 Aug 6, 2013
[QUOTE who="kickman's ASS"]Most folks agree that adding GHGs to the atmosphere OUGHT TO raise the temperature in a predictable way.[/QUOTE]

Correction:
"Most toxic topix AGW deniers agree that adding GHGs to the atmosphere OUGHT TO raise the temperature in a predictable way.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#27106 Aug 6, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
It is apparent that you are either unable to think or are simply aa uninformed denier.
Unable to think , uninformed ? I have posted more historical factual known science that all of you warmers combined . I have post the finding of your scientist which are one degree and 5%. so i ask who is uninformed or uneducated ? Not i but you warmers who have no common sense and believe in a false GOD of warming .You deny your own scientist findings !
So what you are telling us is that all of the recorded climate history of this planet is a lie ? Well if this is your belief then this also makes your ghg a LIE because you deny earths past history.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#27107 Aug 6, 2013
litesong wrote:
In addition:
Many toxic topix AGW deniers have no hi skule DEE-plooomaa, at all.
An over educated man don't make a smart man as you warmers prove everyday ! Chicken Little ! The sky is falling !
NO COMMON SENSE !
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#27108 Aug 6, 2013
home in lincoln county wrote:
<quoted text> Unable to think , uninformed ? I have posted more historical factual known science that all of you warmers combined . I have post the finding of your scientist which are one degree and 5%. so i ask who is uninformed or uneducated ? Not i but you warmers who have no common sense and believe in a false GOD of warming .You deny your own scientist findings !
So what you are telling us is that all of the recorded climate history of this planet is a lie ? Well if this is your belief then this also makes your ghg a LIE because you deny earths past history.
Hey publish what you know in a science journal such as Science.

LOL.

P.S. You are all wet!
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#27109 Aug 6, 2013
home in lincoln county wrote:
<quoted text> An over educated man don't make a smart man as you warmers prove everyday ! Chicken Little ! The sky is falling !
NO COMMON SENSE !
Your family should edit your posts. You are falling apart mentally.

Since: Aug 13

Hilo, HI

#27110 Aug 6, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks! I don't need to answer the ignorant post. The logic displayed is that because it happened millions of years ago, man cannot do anything to cause climate change today. Totally stupid empty argument.
Here is my post:

<quoted text>
It is good to know that you are smarter than 97% of scientists. You are a typical global warming denier. Climate change denial is a set of organized attempts to downplay, deny or dismiss the scientific consensus on the extent of global warming, its significance, and its connection to human behavior, especially for commercial or ideological reasons. Typically, these attempts take the rhetorical form of legitimate scientific debate, while not adhering to the actual principles of that debate.[3] Climate change denial has been associated with the energy lobby, industry advocates and free market think tanks, often in the United States. Some commentators describe climate change denial as a particular form of denialism.

Would you please be so kind as to point out the sentence in my comment that mentions anything that happened millions of years ago or that man cannot do anything to change the climate today.

I am not even sure that you are responding to the correct comment

Since: Aug 13

Hilo, HI

#27111 Aug 6, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks! I don't need to answer the ignorant post. The logic displayed is that because it happened millions of years ago, man cannot do anything to cause climate change today. Totally stupid empty argument.
Now that I read you comment for the tenth time I realize that you are referring to the previous post.

My apologies.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#27112 Aug 6, 2013
Hot dang real ghg we can believe in ! A massive saharan dust cloud is over the atlantic ocean now we have some real earth made ghg ! I await the planet to burst into flames and the sea levels to rise ! Then you warmer will be proved correct except it won't be manmade !
FOOLS ! NO COMMON SENSE !
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#27113 Aug 6, 2013
home in lincoln county wrote:
Hot dang real ghg we can believe in ! A massive saharan dust cloud is over the atlantic ocean now we have some real earth made ghg ! I await the planet to burst into flames and the sea levels to rise ! Then you warmer will be proved correct except it won't be manmade !
FOOLS ! NO COMMON SENSE !
Dust is not ghg, dummy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenhouse_gas

Learn something.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alternative Energy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Tom Steyer Campaigning To Close Largest Power P... 21 hr Mace1ace 1
News Stanley Council to decide fate of proposed biof... Apr 21 Caped Crusader 1
News Prepare for power cuts with solar energy Apr 20 Solarman 1
News Pro-Con: Are eco-friendly renewables key to a n... Apr 20 Solarman 1
News Australia's biggest mining states, ACT raise is... Apr 17 Solarman 1
News Scientists hope new enzyme will 'eat' plastic p... Apr 17 Solarman 1
News Aussie 'pop-up' solar could bring back power wh... Apr 16 Solarman 1