Expert: We must act fast on warming

Sep 24, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Kansas.com

Droughts, melting ice caps and glaciers, rising sea levels and mass extinctions will all be a reality unless the U.S. and the world cut back on carbon emissions dramatically, said James Hansen, director of ...

Comments (Page 1,296)

Showing posts 25,901 - 25,920 of26,942
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Bernard Forand

Fort Myers, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

KitemanSA wrote:
Develop and deploy Liquid Fluoride Thorium Recyclers at a minimum rate of one 100MWe plant per day and replace coal fired power plants as quickly as possible. After that, use new LFTRs to produce synthetic fuel for transportation (ammonia should work well for ground transportation).
Totally disagree. Radioactivity substances should remain under well regulated labs for further research. Maturity of our world populace has not yet reached the level required for their dispersals to energy plants.
Medical application should continue to explore the benefits no doubt but the general distribution and accumulation is easily observable in the difficulties that the leaders of the worlds are having problems with. Now increase distributions to corporations? Dear me NO! They have demonstrated their lack of respect for such a toxic system in favor of their profit margins.
Why, even you carry radioactive pollutants within you, as does all living organisms in this world. Accumulation will continue for thousands of years, especially to the top consumers of consumption.
Perhaps with Fusion ? More forgiving than radioactive toxics. Ahh but that a horse of a different color.

Since: Mar 13

Alexandria, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

The point about LFTRs is that they REDUCE the availability of dangerous radioactive wastes. And I specified 100MWe units because they are easy to build NATURALLY safe. Your thinking needs an update and reboot.
Bernard Forand

Fort Myers, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

KitemanSA wrote:
The point about LFTRs is that they REDUCE the availability of dangerous radioactive wastes. And I specified 100MWe units because they are easy to build NATURALLY safe. Your thinking needs an update and reboot.
You failed to address the maturity of our populace to safely handle and use Radioactive compounds. Presently I reiterate that under well regulated research labs to continue to investigate its potential. Not ready for corporations explorations. Here is some of the latest research in diminishing radioactivity. Keep in mind that it is only one factor required before we can use it responsibly. Have some links if you wish to indulge further. Note the effects on soil and vegetation. Consumed by our populace. That is why every living organism contains radioactive pollutants and it will continue to accumulate within the host of consumption. Yes I’m aware of the radioactive vaccination being developed in Russia. That is again one more factor that needs to be addressed before going to corporations. Hmmm why need we to seek all this complex energy when the Sun is shinning outside?
IEER;
A key approach to reducing the uptake of Tc by humans is to reduce Tc(VII) levels in plants, and thus in soils, and thus ultimately its water solubility. In order to render it insoluble, Tc(VII), a redox-active element, may be reduced to a lower oxidation state, thereby controlling its levels in plants. Soils contaminated with Tc may also be heated to roughly 1000 °C in order to volatilize the Tc; however, this does not eliminate all of the Tc within a sample, and repeated efforts of volatilization do not substantially lower Tc levels. Most disposal techniques for nuclear waste deal with the removal of cationic species, which are much more common.[6] This makes the elimination of the anionic pertechnetate species more difficult. Transmutation is an alternative disposal method, in which Tc-99 is bombarded with neutrons to form Tc-100, which quickly decays to ruthenium-100.
The large-scale production of Tc-99, in conjunction with its long half-life, makes the removal of this isotope an important problem. While few efficient methods for its removal are currently in place, the development of such methods is an active field of research.
[1] "Technetium," in CRC Handbook of Chemistry & Physics, 84th Ed., D. R. Lide, ed.(CRC Press, 2004), pp. 4-29.
[2] M. García-León, "Tc-99 in the Environment: Sources, Distribution and Methods," J. Nucl. Radiochem. Sci. 6, 253 (2005).
[3] K. Tagami, "Technetium-99 Behavior in the Terrestrial Environment - Field Observations and Radiotracer Experiments," J. Nucl. Radiochem. Sci. 4, A1 (2003).
[4] K. Schwochau, Technetium: Chemistry and Radiopharmaceutical Applications (Wiley, 2000).
gcaveman1

Louin, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
Climate change mitigation is a hoax; the lack of experimental tests prove this.
But, but, but, Brian, YOU told us CO2 has kept us from slipping into another ice age.

Are you lying again?

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Judged:

gcaveman1 wrote:
But, but, but, Brian, YOU told us CO2 has kept us from slipping into another ice age. Are you lying again?
Only with the assumption AGW theory is true. Don't leave out the conditions. I don't believe our CO2 is as significant a climate force; this is where we differ.

Gcaveman reads the conclusion he wants and ignores an unfortunate precondition. So typical.

Thanks for those experiments, they aren't field tests but they are very reassuring. CO2's greenhouse gas warming effect is very small for each doubling in the test atmosphere's, less than 1°C each time. Did you find any more?
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Only with the assumption AGW theory is true. Don't leave out the conditions. I don't believe our CO2 is as significant a climate force; this is where we differ.
Gcaveman reads the conclusion he wants and ignores an unfortunate precondition. So typical.
Thanks for those experiments, they aren't field tests but they are very reassuring. CO2's greenhouse gas warming effect is very small for each doubling in the test atmosphere's, less than 1°C each time. Did you find any more?
When you confirmed the role of CO2, you didn't say, "Only with the assumption AGW theory is true."

You are a liar.

But this is not the only time. That's why you have been honored with the sobriquet, lyin' brian.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Judged:

Worry about God's judgements about to come upon the earth, not global warming: www.scribd.com/doc/22629976 ...

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Judged:

gcaveman1 wrote:
When you confirmed the role of CO2, you didn't say, "Only with the assumption AGW theory is true." You are a liar. But this is not the only time. That's why you have been honored with the sobriquet, lyin' brian.
No, I probably wrote something more like:

"If man made CO2 emissions change climate then we are already mitigating climate change...." I don't believe man made greenhouse gases are significant climate drivers, like the sun and altitude. This is where we differ.

I don't call my political opponents 'liars', they are often mistaken because they don't use the scientific method. If you can't find compelling experimental tests for climate change mitigation; how can you not be a skeptic?
litesong

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Judged:

[QUOTE who="lyin' brian"]they are often mistaken because they don't use the scientific method.[/QUOTE]

You never had science, chemistry, astronomy, physics, algebra or pre-calc for your poorly earned hi skule DEE-plooomaa. You never had science or mathematics of any kind, after that. Your own errors of 1 million TIMES, 1000 TIMES, 3000 TIMES, 73 million TIMES, & 2.5+ trillion TIMES, shows you have no ability to critique science research.
litesong

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Judged:

Truthsayer777 wrote:
Worry about God's judgements.......
Worry, yes, by doing God's Will in Love before the Judgement. Help the poor, needy, injured, & diseased. Work to alleviate conditions that will hurt the poor, needy, injured, & diseased.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Judged:

litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
Worry, yes, by doing God's Will in Love before the Judgement. Help the poor, needy, injured, & diseased. Work to alleviate conditions that will hurt the poor, needy, injured, & diseased.
www.scribd.com/doc/22629976...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>No, I probably wrote something more like:
"If man made CO2 emissions change climate then we are already mitigating climate change...." I don't believe man made greenhouse gases are significant climate drivers, like the sun and altitude. This is where we differ.
I don't call my political opponents 'liars', they are often mistaken because they don't use the scientific method. If you can't find compelling experimental tests for climate change mitigation; how can you not be a skeptic?
NO, LIAR, this is what you wrote:
Using fossil fuel helps free ancient carbon back into the atmosphere where it can do some good. Freeing carbon dioxide into the air helps mitigate climate change against global cooling; the well known ice age climate scenario.
We've always adapted to climate change. Don't panic.

And then I wrote:
Whoa, whoa, wait a minute, Brain!

I thought you said climate change mitigation was a hoax. In fact, you've said it a thousand times.

So what is this? "Freeing carbon dioxide into the air helps mitigate climate change against global cooling...."

With that logic, and a few of your own words, we say, "Removing carbon dioxide from the air helps mitigate climate change against global warming."

Care to dispute that?
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
NO, LIAR, you didn't "probably" write "If", you wrote:
"Using fossil fuel helps free ancient carbon back into the atmosphere where it can do some good. Freeing carbon dioxide into the air helps mitigate climate change against global cooling; the well known ice age climate scenario."

I don't call my political opponents 'liars' because they don't use the scientific method. I call them liars when they LIE!

LIAR.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
"If man made CO2 emissions change climate then we are already mitigating climate change
When you confirmed the role of CO2, you didn't say, "Only with the assumption AGW theory is true."

You didn't probably say.

You didn't say "if".

You didn't say you assumed.

You said CO2 mitigates climate cooling. You said we are already mitigating climate change.

You are a liar if you dispute this. You are a liar all the time, anyway. But this is not the only time. That's why you have been honored with the sobriquet, lyin' brian.

Since: Mar 13

Alexandria, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Judged:

BF:
The neat thing about Technicium is that with the process I have described in one of these topics, the Tc gets extracted with the Pu and can be returned to the LFTR core where it can be transmuted.

Also, we have gotten quite good at handling radioactive materials and can derive some good benefits with very low risk. It is time to take the plunge.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

Judged:

gcaveman1 wrote:
NO, LIAR, this is what you wrote: Using fossil fuel helps free ancient carbon back into the atmosphere where it can do some good. Freeing carbon dioxide into the air helps mitigate climate change against global cooling; the well known ice age climate scenario.
We've always adapted to climate change. Don't panic.

And then I wrote: Whoa, whoa, wait a minute, Brain! I thought you said climate change mitigation was a hoax. In fact, you've said it a thousand times. So what is this? "Freeing carbon dioxide into the air helps mitigate climate change against global cooling...."

With that logic, and a few of your own words, we say, "Removing carbon dioxide from the air helps mitigate climate change against global warming." Care to dispute that?
I'm using the same assumption gcaveman uses, we'll never know who's right if we don't have experimental tests. I'm calling climate change mitigation a hoax because it's never been tried or tested. Until it is tested, you certainly may say: "Removing carbon dioxide from the air helps mitigate climate change against global warming." We can't know the truth of an untested theory.

This is the difference between science and faith; in science theories are experimentally tested but faith is more like the pseudoscience of man made catastrophic climate change alarmism.
Bernard Forand

Fort Myers, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

Judged:

litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
First this site is more attuned to proof of any speculations you may have, within reason. That said; where is your proofs of god. Was it that god created man?“OR” is it that man created god in his image and likeness? Observe how the gods have evolved as knowledge advanced. Consider the jealous god. Implying a vanity. Did god create evil or does man have that ability to create. Various religions have gods that can not comprehend evolution let alone the ability to create it. That indicates this is a man’s conclusion.
Various religions can only exist within the borders of a limited time frame of 6,500 years. Once again eluding to some frail intelligence that would accept that. Evidence disproves this limit. Is god providing us with false evidence or would it be more probable, that its once again, originating from a frail intelligence of some within our humanity. God deceitful, jealous, vindictive, frail, errors in creation that results in producing evil. These are just a few questions you will be expected to address. Opinionated rhetoric will not suffice. Do you require some sort of religion for you fear god has not endowed you with the ability to have “Free Will” and advance your knowledge and wisdom. Then here I’ll make one for you ; Requires no incantations; to petition god, prophets, messiahs, priest, preachers or churches.

Collective Conscience
Presently we have the internet and its components, such as the cloud programs. Note the similar evolution to our evolutions. Cloud, Internet created in the image of humanities consciousness .. We contribute knowledge through the internet by communicating with various conscious entities. Knowledge is refined as communication increases. A collective intelligence begins to evolve.
Just as our consciousness increases with each of our experiences through our individual lives and as to how we communicate it to other conscious individuals our collective consciousness increases.
Presently quantum physics has discovered how interrelated particles have connections at a distance. What force is impressed upon one particle, will have an immediate affect on the related particle at a distance. Even at a distance of thousands of miles.{CERN Collider} Einstein called it spook physics. This harbors on the metaphysics and physical realms. Wave particle is affected by the conscious observations of that wave particle.{Energy is manipulated by consciousness}
Metaphysically, we can presently observe consciousness effect on another conscious at a distance. Perhaps some of us have had and are experiencing this affect. Some may call it Des-Javeu, predications, out of body experiences, etc.
Now; the entity of all consciousness, exist in all living organisms. With Various degrees of communication, to a collective consciousness. Some tap into this reservoir from time to time to obtain information or add additional knowledge. Psychics?
Physical Energy is not created nor destroyed; therefore the metaphysical collective conscious is equally eternal. Individual communication determines as to the dimension it has chosen. Abnormalities will be taken into consideration, genetic variants, DNA evolutionary existence, etc.
Here is where your meditations can begin and build upon the varieties of ideologies. Collective Consciousness….God? Embracing through us all.
Now go forth and seek and ye shall find… Hmmmm

Bernard Forand

Fort Myers, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

KitemanSA wrote:
BF:
The neat thing about Technicium is that with the process I have described in one of these topics, the Tc gets extracted with the Pu and can be returned to the LFTR core where it can be transmuted.
Also, we have gotten quite good at handling radioactive materials and can derive some good benefits with very low risk. It is time to take the plunge.
Kiteman; I’m sure we will eventually resolve the issues of technical frailties that we have discovered in our use of nuclear energy. That we have reached that technical point has not yet been achieved.
Largest contributing factor to why nuclear energy is not required or safe yet to take advantage of it; It’s the maturity of our populace and their corporations idealisms of capitalism. Japan is but one example of many that validates what I’m proposing. Even on this thread we can observe immaturity within our spheres of humanity. This prevails through a multitude of the echelons of our society.
Once again I submit that we are more attuned to a more subtle harmonious change in our energy needs through the Alternative fields that are emerging. Observe something as simple as deriving our energy directly from the SUN is obstructed and the frail , gnash their teeth at its prospects.
Have they comprehension of the Nuclear toxicity and the thousands of years that we have already have infected the world’s population. Let them digest this subtle Solar transfer, then the issue of Nuclear and Fusion can be advanced.
Technology has increased and will continue to increase faster than the majority of the populace, will have time enough to digest it sufficiently.
For them to comprehend the responsibility required for its use will require a more harmonious blending with the required accountabilities that will be demanded by the new technologies.
I do see the benefits of Nuclear and Fusion. It will be required for the final frontier efforts. Space exploration and colonizing orbiting various satellites is the proving fields for their benefits. Out of reach of the of those that have not yet come to appreciate their obligations, that is demanded by Fusion and Nuclear.
litesong

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

Judged:

[QUOTE who="lyin' brian"]I'm using...... assumption......[/QUOTE]

....... instead of science & mathematics. That is 'lyin' brian' has errors of 1 million TIMES, 1000 TIMES, 3000 TIMES, 73 million TIMES, & 2.5+ trillion TIMES.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 25,901 - 25,920 of26,942
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

8 Users are viewing the Alternative Energy Forum right now

Search the Alternative Energy Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Clean and green? Study debunks ethanol fuel myth (Sep '09) 12 hr litesong 34
Plans for A 80m biomass plant at for MOD site a... 23 hr Lyn Bleakley 1
City of Columbus Dedicates CNG Station Mon Big Johnson 2
A roundup of recent Michigan newspaper editorials Mon Solarman 1
Two wind farms now on hold Jul 19 Joe Jared 21
Islamic World&#x26;#x27;s First Eco-Friendly Mo... Jul 19 American 1
Is Solar Energy the Future for Your Home? Jul 17 Solarimmersion 3
•••
•••