Expert: We must act fast on warming

Sep 24, 2008 Full story: Kansas.com 27,106

Droughts, melting ice caps and glaciers, rising sea levels and mass extinctions will all be a reality unless the U.S. and the world cut back on carbon emissions dramatically, said James Hansen, director of ...

Full Story
SoE

Rozet, WY

#26661 Mar 28, 2013
Lets say there is two clocks
ARE...it's late and i'm old :-)
SoE

Rozet, WY

#26662 Mar 28, 2013
The end may be written in the sun...or before.
PHD

Overton, TX

#26663 Mar 29, 2013
SoE wrote:
<quoted text>
Reply..reply..reply.....commen t..comment..comment........
Did you fall off the wagon again?
PHD

Overton, TX

#26664 Mar 29, 2013
litesong wrote:
fetid feces face flip flopper fiend flopped:
admitting my diarrhea problem.......
//////////
litesong wrote:
'fetid feces face flip flopper fiend' can't ask a proper scientific question because it never had science, chemistry, astronomy, physics, algebra or pre-calc in its poorly earned hi skule DEE-plooomaa. Of course,'fetid feces face flip flopper fiend' never had any other science or mathematics training.
At least,'brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver' tried math calculations, tho only a few attempts ended in errors of 1 million TIMES, 1000 TIMES, 3000 TIMES & 73 million TIMES.'fetid feces face flip flopper fiend' has never attempted math calculations, which prove that its proficiency in math is worse than that of 'brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver'.
More and more diarrheas from the "pinheadlitesout".
PHD

Overton, TX

#26665 Mar 29, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>True. Its diarrhea problem is 24/7.
I needs to settle in a bathroom away from topix threads.
:-)
There you have it the spacedoutblues admits it has an issue. Can the spacedoutblues convince the "pinheadlitesout" to do tha same? Stay tuned more and more diarrheas soon headed your way from the spacedoutblues and the "pinheadlitesout".
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#26666 Mar 29, 2013
Diarrhea troll above has nothing to say but its diarrhea... As I posted before it changed my post, it needs to find a bathroom and settle there away from Topix.

Diarrhea troll be gone like the other deniers of science! LOL.
SoE

Rozet, WY

#26668 Mar 29, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
Diarrhea troll above has nothing to say but its diarrhea... As I posted before it changed my post, it needs to find a bathroom and settle there away from Topix.
This is one of those occurrences where one kinda hates to use the term projection ...

Since: Mar 13

Alexandria, VA

#26669 Mar 29, 2013
Act fast, deploy Liquid Fluoride Thorium Recyclers, Energy Cheaper than Coal.
PHD

Overton, TX

#26670 Mar 30, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
There you have it the spacedoutblues admits it has an issue. Can the spacedoutblues convince the "pinheadlitesout" to do tha same? Stay tuned more and more diarrheas soon headed your way from the spacedoutblues,SoE AKA Son of Entertainment and the "pinheadlitesout".
SoE

Rozet, WY

#26671 Mar 30, 2013
PHD wrote:
<quoted text>There you have it the spacedoutblues admits it has an issue. Can the spacedoutblues convince the "pinheadlitesout" to do tha same? Stay tuned more and more diarrheas soon headed your way from the spacedoutblues,SoE AKA Son of Entertainment and the "pinheadlitesout".
Algorithm to follow ?
SoE

Rozet, WY

#26672 Mar 30, 2013
KitemanSA wrote:
Interesting
What would be the estimated total cost per megawatt/hr from the laying of the foundation, plant, maintenance and fuel thru the first 10 years ?
It looks,to me, like methane might be a consideration .
A bordering state has enough leaking from coal seams that a town subdivision had to be moved. I also guess that the plant would be less costly...
Obviously the waste byproduct would be a consideration...
Bernard Forand

Cape Coral, FL

#26673 Mar 30, 2013
SoE wrote:
Oh oh, aren't we beginning to wobble?:-)
Now for a little bit of fun.. Lets get on board a train that is at the station. A clock indicates its 3 o’clock. Now imagine as you sit in the train it takes off at the speed of light. The clock will always show 3 o’clock and say you advance your point and travel to say the Andromeda Galaxy.
Lets say there is two clocks. One at the station and one on board the train. Both clocks are at two o'clock.
I am passing the station both atomic clocks appear to be running normally.(this would discount acceleration)...at point x my clock would have appeared to have slowed to the station yet appeared perfectly normal to me....
I'm not sure i'm following your point...
Wobble in motion; Correct
Interesting, you have given this a little bit of thought. As to the two clocks remember as acceleration to greater speed { distance covered by time} your clock on the train would come to a stop at the speed of light/time {Einstein}. Time within the train can only be viewed as imaginary time. Your movements would also suffer the fate of an imaginary state.{Stephen Hawkins}
Thus in a black hole as one is drawn in and accelerates to the speed of light, time would come to a halt. Not enough time to fall into the singularity. Energy cannot be created nor destroyed. Thus all information {Energy} is preserved. Where you might ask? In the Event Horizon!
Now, as to stop worrying about AGW and recognize that its fate has been sealed to a point for accelerated warming is evident and to change it would require a substantial amount of effort and TIME to neutralize the scenario. After all observe the amount of time it had to achieve this position and the combined efforts of humans and natural evolution of various factors that contributed to its existence. By reducing the human element only a small percentage of decline can be anticipated. Humanity can effect its atmosphere by various pollutions that could terminete their existance, but the world will continue without them, as will the weather.
Paleoclimatology has exposed a natural rhythm of Ice Ages and Tropical weather patterns. From the Snow Ball Earth to the Tropical Earth has been repeated through out Earth’s history. Various theories as to the why and therefore, abound. Bottom line, there it is. Not my decision. Its just the way it is. According to historical records, as we presently are able to recognize.
Bernard Forand

Cape Coral, FL

#26674 Mar 30, 2013
KitemanSA wrote:
Agree. By seeking to reduce toxic pollutants and the depreciation of our “Free Oxygen” reserves, we could theoretically, increase the probability of the survival of this particular civilization. Would add, that management of resources, various, species, vegetation, bacteria’s, viruses and so on, will be as well required.
Bernard Forand

Cape Coral, FL

#26675 Mar 30, 2013
SoE wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting
What would be the estimated total cost per megawatt/hr from the laying of the foundation, plant, maintenance and fuel thru the first 10 years ?
It looks,to me, like methane might be a consideration .
A bordering state has enough leaking from coal seams that a town subdivision had to be moved. I also guess that the plant would be less costly...
Methane evaporation is increasing with the rise in temperature. Keep in mind that methane is 7 folds in efficiency, over CO2, of holding green house gases. When burned it produces 50% less CO2 than our present gas/diesel fuels. Presently enough methane has been discovered in the USA to sustain all of our energy requirements for the next 100 years. Less that we sell out to the International Free Trade Markets. There are off shore hydro methane deposits that could add another 100 years of fuel. Oceans warm up, increase in methane release into gaseous forms. So,, its use it or lose it, kinda of scenario for hydro methane’s. Presently to build a methane generating station requires less than ½ the cost for a oil or coal firing plant and ½ the time in building as refining is not required, to the extent for coal and oil.
Managing what toxic pollutants and their amounts, we could temporarily extend the time to our demise. Should that be your goal…

Alexandria, VA

#26676 Mar 30, 2013
SoE wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting
Last study I saw suggested about $30/MWhr, or 3 cents/kWhr. Recent systems cost studies also suggest that LFTRs would have the lowest system burden too.

When NG is at the absurdly low price it is right now, NG CCGTs may be lower cost but that doesn't take into account the externalities like carbon footprint. And it only takes a price rise to near the world price for NG to make that power more expensive than LFTR power.
PHD

Overton, TX

#26678 Mar 31, 2013
SoE wrote:
<quoted text>
Algorithm to follow ?
There you have it folks more and more free entertainment from the SoE AKA Son of Entertainment. Ever consider stand up comedy? Yes this is Algorithm for you deal with it.

Alexandria, VA

#26679 Mar 31, 2013
SoE wrote:
Sorry, missed this line first time around. As it turns out, Liquid Fluoride Thorium Recyclers take current long lived wastes (stuff you need a Yucca mountain for) and burns them so that the resultant waste is 85% stable in 10 years and basically harmless in 300ish years. We can store things for 500 years without much difficulty. The TECHNICAL solution for LFTR waste exists today.
SoE

Rozet, WY

#26680 Mar 31, 2013
KitemanSA wrote:
<quoted text> Sorry, missed this line first time around. As it turns out, Liquid Fluoride Thorium Recyclers take current long lived wastes (stuff you need a Yucca mountain for) and burns them so that the resultant waste is 85% stable in 10 years and basically harmless in 300ish years. We can store things for 500 years without much difficulty. The TECHNICAL solution for LFTR waste exists today.
Although I'm certainly not a fan of nuclear (have relatives that are in that field.)
This would seem to have a number of merits..
If existing light water plants could be easily converted would be a plus from several positions...
We shall see how the R&D turns out...
We ,I guess, will still need a source for warhead fuel. The fuel tends to become punky after a time...
I'm sure the government agencys that control usable stockpiles
would be reluctant to inform me of the amount on hand

http://www.triplepundit.com/2012/04/liquid-fl...
SoE

Rozet, WY

#26681 Mar 31, 2013
Bernard Forand wrote:
<quoted text>
Wobble in motion; Correct
Interesting, you have given this a little bit of thought. As to the two clocks remember as acceleration to greater speed { distance covered by time} your clock on the train would come to a stop at the speed of light/time {Einstein}. Time within the train can only be viewed as imaginary time. Your movements would also suffer the fate of an imaginary state.{Stephen Hawkins}
Thus in a black hole as one is drawn in and accelerates to the speed of light, time would come to a halt. Not enough time to fall into the singularity. Energy cannot be created nor destroyed. Thus all information {Energy} is preserved. Where you might ask? In the Event Horizon!
Now, as to stop worrying about AGW and recognize that its fate has been sealed to a point for accelerated warming is evident and to change it would require a substantial amount of effort and TIME to neutralize the scenario. After all observe the amount of time it had to achieve this position and the combined efforts of humans and natural evolution of various factors that contributed to its existence. By reducing the human element only a small percentage of decline can be anticipated. Humanity can effect its atmosphere by various pollutions that could terminete their existance, but the world will continue without them, as will the weather.
Paleoclimatology has exposed a natural rhythm of Ice Ages and Tropical weather patterns. From the Snow Ball Earth to the Tropical Earth has been repeated through out Earth’s history. Various theories as to the why and therefore, abound. Bottom line, there it is. Not my decision. Its just the way it is. According to historical records, as we presently are able to recognize.
Interesting, you have given this a little bit of thought.
Yes...some :-)
SoE

Rozet, WY

#26682 Mar 31, 2013
As to the two clocks remember as acceleration to greater speed { distance covered by time} your clock on the train would come to a stop at the speed of light/time {Einstein)

I would cease to age or cease to age relative to those in the station...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alternative Energy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
India's most astute deal maker is now a bankrup... 13 hr MOMIN ANSARI 2
INSIGHT-Taxes, fees: the worldwide battle betwe... 15 hr Foolthy 5
House bill would extend wind, other alternative... 17 hr Solarman 3
Campaign against huge solar power farm plan Mon Solarman 5
Study Shows Ethanol Produces Worse 'Global Warm... Mon Brian_G 22
Massive renewable energy project alters German ... Sep 28 Earthling-1 38
Wisconsin utilities shouldn't limit clean energ... Sep 27 Solarman 1

Alternative Energy People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE