Expert: We must act fast on warming

Expert: We must act fast on warming

There are 28308 comments on the Kansas.com story from Sep 24, 2008, titled Expert: We must act fast on warming. In it, Kansas.com reports that:

Droughts, melting ice caps and glaciers, rising sea levels and mass extinctions will all be a reality unless the U.S. and the world cut back on carbon emissions dramatically, said James Hansen, director of ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Kansas.com.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#26503 Feb 6, 2013
litesong wrote:
Finally,'brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver' rejects himself, its slimy steenking filthy vile reprobate rooting(& rotting) racist pukey proud pigisms AND its alleged & proud threats.
No, because I reject litesout's pro abortion, pro secularism, pro left, pro climate change mitigation and pro defamation beliefs and words. litesong posts falsehood, defamation, insult and idiocy; don't take it personally, he can't do better.

Oh, the pity.
PHD

Overton, TX

#26504 Feb 6, 2013
SoE wrote:
<quoted text>
Well let’s say that I enjoy helping the mentally challenged people.
Well, please pass by me. I don't believe helping the unfortunate become ..more..mentally challenged would be a desired direction..
You do know the difference between real science and scientific science fiction?
yes, although i haven't came across a definitive answer in 1166 pages of the Handbook of tables for Applied Engineering Science.
(Bolz/Tuve)
Concise Encyclopedia of the Sciences
Science Desk Reference
etc.....
Addend: You ,being interested in science, may find the book Ringworld Engineers interesting.
A science fiction by Niven ( it contains new and interesting ideas)
I don't know if it's still available(or if you could follow the difficulty of the construct)
You have been passed by.
SoE Wrote:
yes, although i haven't came across a definitive answer in 1166 pages of the Handbook of tables for Applied Engineering Science.

You seem to contradict your self again. So do you really know?
And scientific science fiction is your forte.
PHD

Overton, TX

#26505 Feb 6, 2013
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
His racism & alleged &/or proud threats pre-date your arrival. His avatar used to be the racist photo of Pres. Obama, the re-pubic-lick-uns used to circulate. His prosecutable alleged threats were removed quickly by toxic topix to make it more difficult for actual court actions to be instituted. But it(brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver) made sure its alleged threatening posts against my wife & me stayed long enough that we saw them. I believe it then protested its own posts, that they were removed by toxic topix without further actions to ban 'brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver'.
As many racists often do, who are threateners & worse,'brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver' can put forth a demeanor of smooth slickness of believable deniability. It has dwelt so, for some years now.
If a gov't ever formed, comprised of the toxic topix AGW deniers who post here, a high percentage who are outwardly racist & threateners, I would fear the backdoor manipulations of 'brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver' the most.
And you think topix doesn’t know what you publish? Attacks on me won't delete or erase what you are and what you do. You should stop making an ASSumption of your---self before you know the facts. Do contact topix to satisfy your accusations of the reprint BS your posting of what I said. You are a dumbASSumption of your---self again.
SoE

Rozet, WY

#26506 Feb 6, 2013
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
His racism & alleged &/or proud threats pre-date your arrival.
Ah,...I see..
Well, from a scientific standpoint" caps lock causes climate change " may be a stretch.
I believe the content of his posts and motivation fairly obvious...
Arsenic or cyanide does not change when viewed by either party or
justification....
SoE

Rozet, WY

#26507 Feb 6, 2013
PHD wrote:
<quoted text>You have been passed by.
SoE Wrote:
You seem to contradict your self again. So do you really know?
And scientific science fiction is your forte.
Tnx

You may wish to reread the sentence and count the operators..
T- Bone Pickens

Greenville, SC

#26508 Feb 6, 2013
This stupid thread started 4 1/2 years ago, Hansen's drawers were in knot, yet the world is still here.
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

#26509 Feb 6, 2013
t-boned pickups wrote:
This stupid thread started 4 1/2 years ago, Hansen's drawers were in knot, yet the world is still here.
& what Hansen spoke about then, is coming true today & the future will be bleaker & costlier because we didn't start 9 years ago.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#26510 Feb 6, 2013
Baby it's cold outside
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

#26511 Feb 6, 2013
Eloteman wrote:
Baby it's cold outside
Warm fronts are shoving into the North Pole above the 80th parallal, raising average temperatures 4degC. Also, the warm fronts have flushed cold Arctic air(which has been in complete darkness for almost 5 months) to the south, probably on your house.

Location hidden

#26512 Feb 6, 2013
Oh no!
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#26513 Feb 6, 2013
Eloteman wrote:
Baby it's cold outside
To which you answered:
Eloteman wrote:
Oh no!
So you are here to deceive.

[You are another science denier by act.]

Since: Jan 13

Fairfax, VA

#26514 Feb 6, 2013
Source: NewScientist; January 19, 2013 The Rise in extreme weather is a sign of things to come.

US: The New Dust Bowl
The US is experiencing one of its worst droughts in a century. About 60% of the country is affected. In 2012, a quarter of the corn crop was lost.
2012 was also the hottest year on record in the US. The US provides about half of the world's corn and much of its grain. Per the US Department of Agriculture, the 2012 grain loss means global food prices will rise by 3-4% in 2013, even if the drought abates.
That is not predicted to happen...

Asia: Record low and Storms of Snows
Much of Asia has been freezing since the end of November....
Normally, winters in the northern hemisphere are dominated by westerly winds, driven by the temperature gradient between the warm equator and the cold North Pole. But as the Arctic sea ice retreats, the polar ocean warms faster and the westerlies are weakened. This allows cold air to spill out of the Arctic and into Eurasia.

[note the same mechanism is what is causing the current cold spell here in the US]

Brazil: Drought threatens power

The northeast of Brazil is going though its worst drought in decades. Brazil depends on hydroelectricity to meet 29% of its energy needs; and ethanol biofuels accounts for about 11%. This makes Brazil's energy supply sensitive to climate change.... Biofuel is most vulnerable as river flows are predicted to shrink .

Since: Jan 13

Fairfax, VA

#26515 Feb 6, 2013
And next to the last item -- extreme hot events have increased globally, while extreme cold have declined.

And here is NASA.

Evidence: Climate change: How do we know?

The Earth's climate has changed throughout history. Just in the last 650,000 years there have been seven cycles of glacial advance and retreat, with the abrupt end of the last ice age about 7,000 years ago marking the beginning of the modern climate era — and of human civilization. Most of these climate changes are attributed to very small variations in Earth’s orbit that change the amount of solar energy our planet receives.

The current warming trend is of particular significance because most of it is very likely human-induced and proceeding at a rate that is unprecedented in the past 1,300 years.1

Earth-orbiting satellites and other technological advances have enabled scientists to see the big picture, collecting many different types of information about our planet and its climate on a global scale. Studying these climate data collected over many years reveal the signals of a changing climate.
Certain facts about Earth's climate are not in dispute:

The heat-trapping nature of carbon dioxide and other gases was demonstrated in the mid-19th century.2Their ability to affect the transfer of infrared energy through the atmosphere is the scientific basis of many JPL-designed instruments, such as AIRS. Increased levels of greenhouse gases must cause the Earth to warm in response.

Ice cores drawn from Greenland, Antarctica, and tropical mountain glaciers show that the Earth’s climate responds to changes in solar output, in the Earth’s orbit, and in greenhouse gas levels. They also show that in the past, large changes in climate have happened very quickly, geologically-speaking: in tens of years, not in millions or even thousands.3
The evidence for rapid climate change is compelling:

• Sea level rise
Global sea level rose about 17 centimeters (6.7 inches) in the last century. The rate in the last decade, however, is nearly double that of the last century.4

• Global temperature rise
All three major global surface temperature reconstructions show that Earth has warmed since 1880.5 Most of this warming has occurred since the 1970s, with the 20 warmest years having occurred since 1981 and with all 10 of the warmest years occurring in the past 12 years.6 Even though the 2000s witnessed a solar output decline resulting in an unusually deep solar minimum in 2007-2009, surface temperatures continue to increase.7

• Warming oceans
The oceans have absorbed much of this increased heat, with the top 700 meters (about 2,300 feet) of ocean showing warming of 0.302 degrees Fahrenheit since 1969.8

• Shrinking ice sheets
The Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets have decreased in mass. Data from NASA's Gravity Recovery and Climate Experiment show Greenland lost 150 to 250 cubic kilometers (36 to 60 cubic miles) of ice per year between 2002 and 2006, while Antarctica lost about 152 cubic kilometers (36 cubic miles) of ice between 2002 and 2005.

• Declining Arctic sea ice
Both the extent and thickness of Arctic sea ice has declined rapidly over the last several decades.9

• Glacial retreat
Glaciers are retreating almost everywhere around the world — including in the Alps, Himalayas, Andes, Rockies, Alaska and Africa.

• Extreme events
The number of record high temperature events in the United States has been increasing, while the number of record low temperature events has been decreasing, since 1950.

• Ocean acidification
Since the beginning of the Industrial Revolution, the acidity of surface ocean waters has increased by about 30 percent.12,13 This increase is the result of humans emitting more carbon dioxide into the atmosphere and hence more being absorbed into the oceans. The amount of carbon dioxide absorbed by the upper layer of the oceans is increasing by about 2 billion tons per year.14,15

http://climate.nasa.gov/evidence

http://climate.nasa.gov/

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#26516 Feb 7, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>No, because I reject litesout's pro abortion, pro secularism, pro left, pro climate change mitigation and pro defamation beliefs and words. litesong posts falsehood, defamation, insult and idiocy; don't take it personally, he can't do better.
Oh, the pity.
Here is a riddle:

Question: What do pro abortion, pro secularism, pro left, and pro defamation beliefs and words, have to do with the science of climate change?

Answer: nothing.

Location hidden

#26517 Feb 7, 2013
And your point is?
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

#26518 Feb 7, 2013
'brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver' wrote:
litesong's pro abortion, pro secularism, pro left, pro climate change mitigation.......
////////
Chimney1 wrote:
Question: What do pro abortion, pro secularism, pro left, and pro defamation beliefs and words, have to do with the science of climate change?
//////////
litesong wrote:
Chimney1....... Specially when the accusations of 'brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver' are wrong, he knows they are wrong & he purposefully forgot our past conversations on those issues.

Meanwhile,'brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver' has no mathematics or science degrees, has no upper class science, chemistry, astronomy, physics, algebra or pre-calc to go with its poorly earned hi skule deegreee, has made errors of 73 million times, 1 million times, 1000 times & 3000 times & provides no science to back up its anti-AGW stance.

But most of all 'brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver' is a slimy steenking filthy vile reprobate rooting(& rotting) racist pukey proud pig AND alleged & proud threatener.
PHD

Overton, TX

#26519 Feb 7, 2013
litesong wrote:
'brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver' wrote:
litesong's pro abortion, pro secularism, pro left, pro climate change mitigation.......
////////
Chimney1 wrote:
//////////
litesong wrote:
Chimney1....... Specially when the accusations of 'brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver' are wrong, he knows they are wrong & he purposefully forgot our past conversations on those issues.
Meanwhile,'brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver' has no mathematics or science degrees, has no upper class science, chemistry, astronomy, physics, algebra or pre-calc to go with its poorly earned hi skule deegreee, has made errors of 73 million times, 1 million times, 1000 times & 3000 times & provides no science to back up its anti-AGW stance.
But most of all 'brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver' is a slimy steenking filthy vile reprobate rooting(& rotting) racist pukey proud pig AND alleged & proud threatener.
And you think topix doesn’t know what you publish? Attacks on me won't delete or erase what you are and what you do. You should stop making an ASSumption of your---self before you know the facts. Do contact topix to satisfy your accusations of the reprint BS your posting of what I said. You are a dumbASSumption of your---self again.

Location hidden

#26520 Feb 7, 2013
Are we cross?
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

#26521 Feb 7, 2013
Eloteman wrote:
Are we cross?
litesong wrote:
//////////
'phud fetid feces face fiend' flapped:
//////////
Eloteman wrote:
Are we cross?
//////////
litesong wrote:
Eloteman........You don't get the seriousness of all this.'large lying language' & 'phud fetid feces face fiend' are & consort with kkk(ALWAYS SMALL LETTERS) & their racist, threatener, murdering & torturing ways. If you don't think it is worth opposing them, you should let those that will oppose them, do such.

Location hidden

#26522 Feb 7, 2013
Sorry , I am out of here .

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alternative Energy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hillary Clinton is promising that all homes wil... 8 min District 9 120
News Obama to unveil more ambitious climate change plan 40 min Black Annie 5
News How battery-powered homes are unplugging Australia Fri Solarman 1
News More solar panels are going on rooftops, but mo... Jul 29 Solarman 1
News XsunX Added to Prominent Clean Energy Finance C... Jul 29 solari 3
News Sunseeker Energy Holding AG and Nations Roof Pl... (Sep '09) Jul 28 amed20 85
News Researchers boost solar energy by tapping infra... Jul 28 Solarman 1
More from around the web