Former Dep. Minister urges gov't to r...

Former Dep. Minister urges gov't to re-think solar energy

There are 1 comment on the GhanaWeb story from Aug 2, 2014, titled Former Dep. Minister urges gov't to re-think solar energy. In it, GhanaWeb reports that:

Former Deputy Energy Minister, Dr. Kwabena Donkor has urged government to re-consider its solar energy development plan since is not economically viable.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GhanaWeb.

Solarman

La Quinta, CA

#1 Aug 2, 2014
"“There is no way we can economically utilize grid-connected solar. In any case if you don’t have storage it will mean for any 100megawatts you have to produce in terms of solar, you will need 100megawatts of conventional power to back it and therefore the economics does not add up,” Dr. Donkor explained."

This IS the problem Worldwide, lack of storage of generated power. All power generation should be on a grid that stores power for spinning and baseload use. The economics doesn't add up because the business model is outdated. Instead of central power generation with grid distribution, you need to go to distributed power generation with grid storage. Either the flow battery or chemical battery technology attached to a utility sized inverter can react to changes in the load on the grid much quicker than the Doctors "conventional" power generation.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alternative Energy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News XsunX Secures Two Large Commercial Solar Projects Tue karland 1
News Carport Will Also Generate Power For CU (Jul '11) Tue karland 3
News Australian scientists announce solar energy bre... Mon I like Chinese 116
News Pros And Cons Of Solar Energy May 31 Solarman 1
News Tech Giants Fight Renewable Energy Freeze In No... May 31 Solarman 1
News Investors turning away from green energy May 31 Solarman 1
News Capstone commissions Goulais Bay wind farm May 30 community 1
More from around the web