Can Methanol Save Us All?

Can Methanol Save Us All?

There are 1 comment on the Mother Jones story from Oct 11, 2013, titled Can Methanol Save Us All?. In it, Mother Jones reports that:

In the Wall Street Journal today, George Olah and Chris Cox suggest that instead of venting carbon dioxide into the atmosphere, where it causes global warming, we should use it to create methanol: Thanks to recent developments in chemistry, a new way to convert carbon dioxide into methanol - a simple alcohol now used primarily by industry but ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Mother Jones.

LessHypeMoreFact

Etobicoke, Canada

#1 Oct 11, 2013
I prefer ethanol. Enough of it and you lose all worries..

But you cannot get a 'free lunch'. Burning coal to produce power that you then use to convert the emission of CO2 into methanol is a dead loss.

"it takes electricity to catalyze CO2 and hydrogen into methanol, and it's not clear how cheap it is to manufacture methanol in places that don't have abundant, cheap geothermal energy"

Easier to use the green energy DIRECTLY. Why do so many people try this 'perpetual motion' logic anyway?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alternative Energy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The push for solar energy takes flight 9 hr Solarman 1
News Solar power: Is it right for you? 9 hr Solarman 1
News High Desert residents struggle with wind turbin... (Mar '10) 10 hr Solarman 25
News Warner dusts off 55 mph Speed Limit (Jul '08) 10 hr litesong 60
News Solar company leaves trail of unhappy customers... 11 hr Dying Smoker 2
News Schwarzenegger seeks $95M for green research (Dec '06) Fri Follow The Money 5
News Here's where the US nuclear boom turned into a ... Thu BDV 2
More from around the web