North Texans learning to live off the...

North Texans learning to live off the grid

There are 2 comments on the Star-Telegram.com story from Sep 18, 2013, titled North Texans learning to live off the grid. In it, Star-Telegram.com reports that:

The 10,000-watt wind turbine sits atop a 100-foot tower Renner built himself. Solar panels cover his roof, producing 8,000 watts of power.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Star-Telegram.com.

Solarman

La Quinta, CA

#1 Sep 20, 2013
"For Renner, the journey to go off the grid began in 1986 when he had an epiphany of sorts.

“I thought,‘Why should I pay to rent electricity from a utility company when I can harvest plenty of energy straight from the sun,’” he said.“It made no sense.”"

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/09/18/51736...

"In Renner’s case, he estimates it will take 17 years to earn back his investment, and he’s OK with that.

“People will spend money on a luxury car that goes down in value the minute they drive off the lot,” Renner said.“This will eventually pay for itself.”"

If you keep 30K in the bank at a whopping 1% interest, you would make more if you put 30K worth of solar PV on your roof and decreased or eliminated an electric bill for life.
john home

Chiang Mai, Thailand

#2 Sep 21, 2013
Easy Home improvement www.homeauvi.com

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alternative Energy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why it Matters: Climate Change 4 hr FUBAR 39
News The $8 Trillion Fight Over How to Rid America o... 5 hr Solarman 1
News City of 10,000 Buddhas turns to solar energy to... 13 hr walterd 1
News University of Waterloo Chemists develop promisi... Mon Solarman 1
News Wind farm project completed in Starr County Mon blacklisted 1
News Solar power growing rapidly as prices tumble an... Sun Solarman 1
News Warren Buffett is both right and wrong in solar... Aug 27 Solarman 1
More from around the web