Japan Search For Alternative Energy Is Almost Over

Feb 24, 2014 Full story: I-Newswire.com

Almost entirely dependent on nuclear power just two years ago, Japan is making more investment into renewable energy.

Full Story
Dan

Upton, NY

#1 Feb 24, 2014
I love these articles they never tell you the difficult aspect of what they want as if magically it will just happen.
The article states: "By 2020 Japan plans to place 140 wind turbines to produce over 1 gigawatt of electricity."
Then later says: "Harnessing wind in deeper waters off Japan could generate as much as 1,570 gigawatts of electricity, roughly eight times the current capacity of all of Japan's power companies combined."
I don't know if it is true but lets make some assumptions in their favor. The best data I could find on off shore wind farm capacity factors (ie the percentage of name plate power they produce over a year) was as follows: offshore wind Minimum: 27%; Median: 43%; Maximum: 54%
Now this was from a pro wind power website. I will be generous and say they operate at 60% power all the time which is unrealistic but please bear with me. It says 140 wind turbines for over a GW so it is probably just barely over but I will say 100 turbines per GW power. That is 157,000 wind turbines at 5MW a piece operating at 100% CF at 60% it is almost 262,000 % MW wind turbines. To be fair they also said that is 8 times what Japan currently produces but it is unclear if that is what is being produced now or before Fukushima. I will give the benefit of doubt again and say before. They would still need 33,000 5MW wind turbines. This would take almost 80 years based on the best year for installing wind turbines in the EU at 418 in 2013. Then we can talk about the cost of the transmission cabling to get power from all the turbines on shore from tens of miles off shore, not to mention how would they survive a 30 meter Tsunami although the wave would be less in the deeper water. I fully believe that wind power is a part of a solid mix for electrical production but putting all the eggs in one basket has proven a bad thing throughout history. Stop hard selling and just disclose all the issues whether they are technologically difficult or expensive. People will decide to accept things if they are informed upfront.
BDV

Atlanta, GA

#2 Feb 25, 2014
"Japan Search For Alternative Energy Is Almost Over"

and the result is in. There is nothing sufficient to replace the Oil-Gas and Nuclear.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alternative Energy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
A mixed bag for conflict-prone West Nile 10 hr Ronald 1
Gov. Brown names Commissioner Michael Picker pr... Wed Solarman 1
Let's have a balanced plan for producing the el... Wed Solarman 78
September 2014: The Month SolarCity Residential... Dec 23 Gerald Vonberger 1
Blythe City Manager Says Solar Power Brings Ben... Dec 22 Solarman 1
APS will move ahead with free solar Dec 20 Solarman 1
NY's bad move on fracking Dec 20 Solarman 1
More from around the web