Bush to Say 'America Is Addicted to Oil' in Talk

Full story: ABC News 7
WASHINGTON Jan 31, 2006 -- Hampered by huge budget deficits and an unpopular war, President Bush aims to take charge of the election-year agenda Tuesday by declaring America must break its dependence on Mideast ... Full Story
J Hamerlinck

Saint Paul, MN

#1 Feb 1, 2006
Great, Bush finally admits that the US is "addicted to oil" - but what kind of goals does our visionary leader set?

"... to replace more than 75 percent of our oil imports from the Middle East by 2025"

Achieving this goal will scarcely make a dent in curbing our addiction. According to the federal government's Energy Information Administration ( http://www.eia.doe.gov/neic/rankings/crudebyc... ) only about 24% of our oil imports come from the Persian Gulf. Bush is asking us to take almost 20 years to cut a mere 1,800 barrels a day from our 10,000 + barrel a day consumption.
alleymon

Aliso Viejo, CA

#2 Feb 1, 2006
Addicted is the wrong word that makes Americans look like the problem. Where are the affordable alternatives? The Oil industry has stomped on all alternative energy movements for at least 20 years. I remember hearing about a Hydrogen powered car 20 years ago. Why are we just now in pre-production testing of these vehicles?

Dependant is the right word and it has been used for years, but the Bush administration wants to make the American people responsible for choosing to use gasoline. This is why he used the word "Addicted". Addiction is my fault, not his.

Give me the choice to purchase any model car in either gasoline, electric, natural gas, or hydrogen all for the same price. Then give me fueling stations on every corner for all fuels at the same or better price.

Then I will choose something other than gasoline. For now I have no alternative.
Robert Newell

San Antonio, TX

#3 Feb 1, 2006
alleymon wrote:
Addicted is the wrong word that makes Americans look like the problem. Where are the affordable alternatives? The Oil industry has stomped on all alternative energy movements for at least 20 years. I remember hearing about a Hydrogen powered car 20 years ago. Why are we just now in pre-production testing of these vehicles?

Dependant is the right word and it has been used for years, but the Bush administration wants to make the American people responsible for choosing to use gasoline. This is why he used the word "Addicted". Addiction is my fault, not his.

Give me the choice to purchase any model car in either gasoline, electric, natural gas, or hydrogen all for the same price. Then give me fueling stations on every corner for all fuels at the same or better price.

Then I will choose something other than gasoline. For now I have no alternative.
My dad was a Navy Mechanic in WWII. He even engineered on a sub for one 6 month tour. He had a mechanic working under him that built a carburator the allowed a large 6X6 truck to get 32 MPG. After he tested it, he beat it to death with a hammer and through it in the channel.
I know a guy that went to Detroit to pick up a special order Cadillac Eldorado in 1976. He went from there to Las Vegas and thought he would never run out of gas. The car got 36 MPG. When he returned home, he found out Cadillac was trying to get the car back because it was the wrong car. Everytime someone has a patentable Fuel delivery system that gets great milage, supposedly the oil companies by them out. I don't know what the answer is, but something needs to be done.
BTW, Bush said 'America Is Addicted to Oil' not 'Americans Is Addicted to Oil'
Robert Newell

San Antonio, TX

#4 Feb 1, 2006
Sorry, I cut and pasted the last quote. Should have been 'Americans are Addicted to Oil'

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#7 Apr 12, 2014
'Bish prevents off shore drilling near Florida, refuses to issue permits' 05 no SirPrise here

Location hidden

#8 Apr 18, 2014
WMD's-what missiles dude??

Location hidden

#9 Jun 21, 2014
SirPrize

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alternative Energy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tea party pushes for solar power in Fla. 5 hr Solarman 3
Expert: We must act fast on warming (Sep '08) 5 hr SpaceBlues 28,062
Cheap gas helps Saudi Arabia fight global push ... Tue SpaceBlues 1
For Saudis, Falling Oil Demand Is More Worrying... Tue jeffry 1
Transmission Line Approved That Could Bring Win... Jan 26 Solarman 1
Why you need to pay attention to solar energy l... Jan 25 Solarman 1
XsunX Reports Commercial Solar Systems Sales In... Jan 25 karland 2
More from around the web