Norwegian Scientists Unveil Plans for...

Norwegian Scientists Unveil Plans for First Underwater Storage Power Plant

There are 9 comments on the Inhabitat story from May 20, 2013, titled Norwegian Scientists Unveil Plans for First Underwater Storage Power Plant. In it, Inhabitat reports that:

A team of Norwegian research scientists has unveiled a concept that could see electricity stored on the seabed.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Inhabitat.

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#1 May 20, 2013
For once, I am a bit embarrassed to be of Norwegian extraction. This is a monumentally dumb idea. Trying to make pressure vessels large enough and strong enough to store any appreciable amount of energy would be ridiculously expensive. Far better to have a simple bladder in a cage that can be filled with compressed air. The system would be almost cheap, and could store much more energy too.

“Universal Conscious Conscience”

Since: Feb 08

Planet Earth

#2 May 20, 2013
Why not use another renewable energy alternative instead of using water to generate power?

Location hidden

#3 May 20, 2013
The point of STORING the energy is the the other (non-hydro) "renewables" (a.k.a., unreliables) are unreliable. If you want the energy to be there, you HAVE to store it... at GREAT cost.

Planet Earth

#4 May 20, 2013
Wind or solar power is not efficient enough in the region the scientist want to create an underwater storage plant?

Location hidden

#5 May 20, 2013
That is about it.

Planet Earth

#6 May 20, 2013
What do you think their alternative energy source should be instead of hydro renewables?

Location hidden

#7 May 21, 2013
Liquid Fluoride Thorium Recyclers, a special type of NEWclear reactor designed to burn up the long term dangerous parts of Spent Nuclear Fuel and the radioactive waste left over from mining Rare Earth Elements. Electricity and long term waste destruction, neato!

Planet Earth

#8 May 22, 2013
I take it you promote this energy source over any other?

Location hidden

#9 May 22, 2013
Of the ones that have been proven, it strikes me as the best. This is NEWclear without the nuclear problems.

None-the-less, if LENR ever works out, or if Polywell (fusion) finally comes thru, I would drop it like a stone as soon as the long-lived portions of SNF and surplus bombs are burned up.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Energy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Nebraska's largest solar farm is up and running 2 hr Solarman 1
News Council looks to power ahead with solar switch Mon Solarman 1
News Renewable energy is surging. The Republican tax... Sun Trump is a joke 6
News Rocky Mountain Power isn't accurately calculati... Dec 9 Solarman 1
News Duke Energy assumes full ownership of Californi... Dec 9 Solarman 1
News Solar Power Dec 8 Solarman 1
News Grads of LifeVoice: Solar Energy: A Sustainable... Dec 8 Solarman 1
More from around the web