Money dispute casts shadow on solar p...

Money dispute casts shadow on solar power’s sunny outlook

There are 7 comments on the Seattle Times story from Jun 15, 2013, titled Money dispute casts shadow on solar power’s sunny outlook. In it, Seattle Times reports that:

Installer Andres Quiroz carries a solar panel he's putting on a home in Encinitas, Calif., in this file photo from 2012.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Seattle Times.

Solarman

La Quinta, CA

#1 Jun 15, 2013
"Arizona Public Service, which has 18,000 rooftop solar systems among its 1.1 million electricity customers, estimates solar homes each shift about $1,000 in costs annually to other ratepayers.“This is not a revenue issue. This is not a profitability issue. This is a shifting-of-costs issue,” said John Hatfield, the company’s vice president of communications. "

So, Hatfield tell us the "whole" story. How much money does the utility NOT have to spend to file EIRs for new utility generation projects? Legal fees to "defend" the building of the project? No need to install new power corridors, due to the peak distributed generation source installed and maintained by "others". No maintenance costs to the utility in regards to the private owned solar PV system. If the home owner or business owner does not maintain and repair their system, the utility gets their 24/7 customer back once again. The $1,000.00 dollar "shift" in costs to non solar PV powered homes is the utility's arcane business model and pathetic attempt to stop the installation of solar PV on private roofs. It is also an attempt from these six figure salaried goofs to keep the status quo alive and well. If it was not solar PV on private homes and businesses that "caused" a $1,000.00 shift in rate structure to ratepayers, it would be the "necessity" to build more power plants and power delivery corridors would cost the ratepayers how much? Even David Crane CEO of NRG thinks centralized power generation and distribution is limited and outdated.
"David Crane, president and chief executive officer of NRG Energy, a large, independent energy company, told a March conference sponsored by The Wall Street Journal that utilities “realize that distributed solar is a mortal threat to their business,” according to The Journal."
David Crane may be the leader in the utility industry away from the generate and distribute business model to a generate, store and distribute business model if the electric utility industry is to survive.

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#2 Jun 17, 2013
Solarman wrote:
"Arizona Public Service, which has 18,000 rooftop solar systems among its 1.1 million electricity customers, estimates solar homes each shift about $1,000 in costs annually to other ratepayers.“This is not a revenue issue. This is not a profitability issue. This is a shifting-of-costs issue,” said John Hatfield, the company’s vice president of communications. "
Also known as the "theft issue".
Thank you for posting data backing up my observations.
Solarman

La Quinta, CA

#3 Jun 17, 2013
KitemanSA wrote:
<quoted text> Also known as the "theft issue".
Thank you for posting data backing up my observations.
Hey Commie A-hole, that's not data, that's spin which seems to be the only thing YOU can rely on. When individuals take their responsibility for their own energy usage and generation, this is the kind of spin you get from those who are afraid. If you want some truth, check out some of the comments by David Crane CEO of NRG. He's afraid, very afraid.

Location hidden

#4 Jun 18, 2013
Boy it is interesting watching you make absurd allegations. You don't recognize a "Commie A-hole" even though one stares at you each time you look in a mirror. Just a hint, commies want the government to take care of them... JUST LIKE YOU. Hmmm.
Solarman

La Quinta, CA

#5 Jun 18, 2013
KitemanSA wrote:
Boy it is interesting watching you make absurd allegations. You don't recognize a "Commie A-hole" even though one stares at you each time you look in a mirror. Just a hint, commies want the government to take care of them... JUST LIKE YOU. Hmmm.
Yeah right, commie a-hole. I've taken responsibility for my daily energy usage, by using the sun to generate my own. What is it that YOU have done to take responsibility for YOUR energy usage? Yeah, that's right, run your commie mouth and DO NOTHING. Call it theft, try to insert yourself as taking the high ground, so you don't participate in the alleged theft. Absurd allegations, yeah right hypocrite. So, you DO NOTHING and try to sell it as doing something. When YOU look in the mirror do you see someone who won life's lottery? You cannot have gotten to be that old by being that stupid without crazy luck.Lead , follow or get the hell out of the way.

Location hidden

#6 Jun 19, 2013
Yup, you have used a government gift to over pay so that you can steal from other rate payers from then on... REAL responsibility. I would kindly ask others not to follow in his immoral footsteps.

Location hidden

#8 Jun 19, 2013
Private money will touch them. All reactors in the US (except government agency reactors) are built with private money. Please get your facts straight before you make too much of a fool of yourself.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Energy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Solar businesses one step closer to reaping Ame... 2 hr tell it like it is 2
News My view: Congress should provide parity across ... Sun Lixy9440 2
News Plant power may lead to solar power, UCR scient... Sun Solarman 1
News Energy: Solar power not producing results Sun Solarman 8
News Huge battery energy storage project for Herefor... Sat Solarman 1
News Local Green Energy Authority Quietly Launches i... Sat Solarman 1
News 5 lessons activists can learn from Florida's su... Dec 3 Solarman 6
More from around the web