How A Biofuel Dream Called Jatropha C...

How A Biofuel Dream Called Jatropha Came Crashing Down

There are 14 comments on the GPB.org story from Aug 21, 2012, titled How A Biofuel Dream Called Jatropha Came Crashing Down. In it, GPB.org reports that:

A man harvests fruits of the Jatropha tree in Taabo, Ivory Coast. Jatropha, which is grown in many parts of the world, has fallen from favor as a diesel fuel substitute.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GPB.org.

“Geologist [I'm Climate Change]”

Since: Mar 07

formerly Nuneaton

#1 Aug 22, 2012
Nice comment.

As a farm edge weed it would mop up the excess nitro and provide ready fuel for the tractor.

Not a good idea in plantations in a hungry world.

Have a nice day: Ag
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

#2 Aug 22, 2012
"From Congress to The Colbert Report, people are talking about the Midwestern drought and debating whether it makes sense to convert the country's shrinking corn supplies into ethanol to power our cars."

Of course it doesn't in a midwest drought. But the optimal thing to do is to import sugar from sugar cane (dropping the tariffs). Using ethanol at 10%- 15% in gasoline still makes sense, but you have to adapt the feedstock to the agricultural output.

"It's the latest installment of the long-running food v. fuel battle."

"It's an extremely hardy plant, and grows in places where most plants would die. "If you grow it on sandy soil, with not too many nutrients, and with dry periods, the plant miraculously survives," says Franken"

So what exactly is the 'food vs fuel" comment regarding???

Typical of the mindless ideology driven baloney that the oil companies promote. It contradicts itself as well as using claims that are totally irrelevant such as the plants leaves being poisonous? So what? You don't eat the leaves!!
litesong

Everett, WA

#3 Aug 22, 2012
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
Using ethanol at 10%- 15% in gasoline still makes sense......
It makes no sense pre-drought or post-drought. The use of 10% ethanol in gasoline easily can decrease mpg by 5-10%! With careful years long records, our 3 cars decreased their mpg by 5%, 7% & 8+% using 10% ethanol blends. Many people indicate mpg decreases in excess of 10%. Ethanol needs hi compression engines to gain its full efficiency, such as in Indy car engines. A number of drivers, running turbo charged gasoline engines, indicate a considerable decrease in mpg. Gasoline engines, using 100% gasoline instead of 10% ethanol blends, are smoother, quieter, have greater low end torque & better mpg.

Use 100% gasoline in gasoline engines. Use 100% ethanol for ethanol engines. This statement makes more sense than your statement.

Somehow, the ethanol industry has twisted the idea that crops should be use to feed engines, instead of people, thereby pitting engines against the poorest of our people. Somehow, the ethanol industry has conned america into thinking that ethanol is best for engines designed, & produced to use gasoline.

Use 100% gasoline instead of 10% ethanol blends.

"LessHypeMoreFact".. ..... You believe in science. Then, believe in science that designed & developed gasoline engines to use 100% ethanol-free gasoline for its best efficiency, longevity & proper operation.
Allen

Afton, OK

#4 Aug 22, 2012
Ethanol is a looser in cars.....just another ripoff.

“Geologist [I'm Climate Change]”

Since: Mar 07

formerly Nuneaton

#5 Aug 24, 2012
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
"From Congress to The Colbert Report, people are talking about the Midwestern drought and debating whether it makes sense to convert the country's shrinking corn supplies into ethanol to power our cars."
Of course it doesn't in a midwest drought. But the optimal thing to do is to import sugar from sugar cane (dropping the tariffs). Using ethanol at 10%- 15% in gasoline still makes sense, but you have to adapt the feedstock to the agricultural output.
"It's the latest installment of the long-running food v. fuel battle."
"It's an extremely hardy plant, and grows in places where most plants would die. "If you grow it on sandy soil, with not too many nutrients, and with dry periods, the plant miraculously survives," says Franken"
So what exactly is the 'food vs fuel" comment regarding???
Typical of the mindless ideology driven baloney that the oil companies promote. It contradicts itself as well as using claims that are totally irrelevant such as the plants leaves being poisonous? So what? You don't eat the leaves!!
Jatropha is actually biodiesel, works rather well as has typical oils content similar to usual diesel mix with little readjustment similar to castor 2 stroke oil. Probably also induces vomiting if siphoned out of the tank (as with castor oil).

As for Food Vs fuel...

Best way is to use1 1st harvest or dry store for food, or seed for next crop, and old storage with mould, smut or mouse crap for biofuel (will also probably deter tank siphoning @ that point too). Result of low quality brewing mix will be high concentration of Methanol, carboxylic acids ketones, aldehydes etc; (so not for drinking).

Doing things that way will alleviate problems and at least be more effiocient. Brewing plants will probably not smell of tomato soup as result but will be far better downwind than the legally protected meat rendering sector!

Oops: almost forgot. Jatropha is a waste of time in the bulk of the USA as it will not survive the winter and is either a shrub or biennial. Will only be worthwhile in tex-mex coastal area of florida & delta magins.

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain retreat, SE Spain

#6 Aug 24, 2012

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain retreat, SE Spain

#8 Aug 24, 2012
These Thai ladyboys can be a nuisance.
budd

Thailand

#9 Aug 24, 2012
Earthling-1 wrote:
Ah, so a theme emerges. What is your fascination with ladyboys? I am neither Thai nor a ladyboy. My sexual orientation does not run in that direction and I'm not that pretty.

It is interesting that when you think about Thailand your thoughts run to ladyboys. It is very revealing as to your proclivities. If you don't mind me asking, does Mrs. Earthling have a penis?
PHD

Houston, TX

#10 Aug 24, 2012
How A Biofuel Dream Called Jatropha Came Crashing Down
The dirtling came along and spoiled everything with useless babble and hate.
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

#11 Aug 24, 2012
Adrian Godsafe MSc wrote:
<quoted text>
Jatropha is actually biodiesel, works rather well as has typical oils content similar to usual diesel mix with little readjustment similar to castor 2 stroke oil.
I wrote about Jatropha as the second issue in my post. The one about 'food vs fuel' where the article itself contradicted itself by pointing out that jatropha grew in conditions that were totally unsuitable to food production and therefore did NOT compete with food.
<quoted text>
Probably also induces vomiting if siphoned out of the tank (as with castor oil).
Interesting but irrelevant. I can't remember the last time I siphoned my tank for ANY reason.
<quoted text>
As for Food Vs fuel...
Best way is to use1 1st harvest or dry store for food, or seed for next crop, and old storage with mould, smut or mouse crap for biofuel (will also probably deter tank siphoning @ that point too). Result of low quality brewing mix will be high concentration of Methanol, carboxylic acids ketones, aldehydes etc; (so not for drinking).
Doing things that way will alleviate problems and at least be more effiocient. Brewing plants will probably not smell of tomato soup as result but will be far better downwind than the legally protected meat rendering sector!
I have no idea what that is about. Jatropha seeds are crushed and the oils extracted. No muss. No fuss. No mildew.
<quoted text>
Oops: almost forgot. Jatropha is a waste of time in the bulk of the USA as it will not survive the winter and is either a shrub or biennial. Will only be worthwhile in tex-mex coastal area of florida & delta magins.
So don't grow it in the USA. Lots of land that is suitable. Lot of it is owned by US interests.
PHD

Houston, TX

#12 Aug 24, 2012
Earthling-1 wrote:
No your useless babble is the nuisance.
pat

Taipei, Taiwan

#14 Aug 26, 2012
IT SOUNDS WONDERFUL
China is full of unproductive lands suitable for jatropha
Ace

Bangalore, India

#15 Oct 2, 2012
Nice comment.
As a farm edge weed it would mop up the excess nitro and provide ready fuel for the tractor.
Not a good idea in plantations in a hungry world.
The problem is bioethanol from u.s. corn. Jatropha cultivation is possible where it's not possible to grow food.
It will give poors a lot of job, so food!
PHD

Houston, TX

#16 Oct 2, 2012
Earthling-1 wrote:
WOW the real you. You should have listened to your care giver.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Energy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News New End of Session Review: Tricia Farley-Bouvie... 7 hr DCF DSS CPS are M... 9
News Biofuels might be worse for climate than gasoli... 7 hr Curiouser And Cur... 3
News Nation-Now 40 mins ago 9:07 a.m.Biofuels worse ... 17 hr Apostate 1
News Solar industry awaits plummeting panel prices a... Wed finitynewen 2
News Solar Panels: Buying vs. Leasing Aug 23 Solarman 1
News Corporation commissioner wants renewable energy... Aug 23 Solarman 1
News Solar energy amendment headed for primary, but ... Aug 18 Solarman 1
More from around the web