Educators: Standardized tests hurting...

Educators: Standardized tests hurting students -- Teachers, Pen...

There are 20 comments on the The Morning Call story from Mar 29, 2008, titled Educators: Standardized tests hurting students -- Teachers, Pen.... In it, The Morning Call reports that:

Education assessment tests required by the state and federal government may be hurting students because they force school districts to provide a less varied curriculum with fewer courses in the arts, quashing ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

Lauren

Bethlehem, PA

#1 Mar 29, 2008
Point is--teachers just DON'T WANT TO TEACH! I wish every job could be like that. Oh, I'm not in the mood to teach today, let's take a study hall while I take MY online courses on school time!
Have a field day everyone--but it's the truth!
DOUBLETAP

Slatington, PA

#2 Mar 29, 2008
My good friend is a teacher in the suburbs of Phila. He tells me all the time that he is forced by administration to "dumb-down" the tests when students do poorly on them. If too many fail or get D's, he has to give the test over, with easier answers. They call it "amending" or some other stupid euphemism. We cater to students who are spoiled little kids raised by the 90's liberal parents. And you wonder why Asian and Indian students do better, come to the US for college, and then leave. Get with it.
citizen

AOL

#3 Mar 29, 2008
Lauren wrote:
Point is--teachers just DON'T WANT TO TEACH! I wish every job could be like that. Oh, I'm not in the mood to teach today, let's take a study hall while I take MY online courses on school time!
I am not a teacher but worked in an elementary school office and I have met some wonderful teachers and I have not really met any inferior or lazy ones. The problem is "No Child Left Behind". Now teachers have to teach for the testing, Math and Reading. This does not only exclude the Arts but also Social Studies and the Sciences which are taught so rarely. This has nothing to do with spoiled kids living with liberal '90s parents either. In fact it may have more to do with children with no parental supervision or guidance whatsoever. Gangs are so popular today too and have become a problem because the gangs offer love, protection and care to children who have none. What a shame!! Poor, poor children!!!!
Rob

Northumberland, PA

#4 Mar 29, 2008
Please quit your job and go back to school and be a teacher. You seem to have the right attitude for it!(That was sarcasm in case you missed it)
Lauren wrote:
greynomo

Slatington, PA

#5 Mar 29, 2008
Lauren wrote:
And just what would your profession be Lauren? Something much more superior I presume. I'm so happy it isn't teaching.
Teaching the test

Allentown, PA

#6 Mar 29, 2008
The testing is forcing teachers and students to focus on reading and math. Reading and Math are the building blocks for all other subjects. If focusing on Reading and Math takes time away from the other subjects then maybe the school year needs to be extended another 20 days. What would the teacher's union say about that?
Yooooooooo

Mount Bethel, PA

#7 Mar 29, 2008
"No Child Left Behind" is BIG BIG Business! I’m sure plenty of "No Child Left Behind" money, that's extra money, flows to the average teacher and everyone in between.
wrong

Philadelphia, PA

#8 Mar 29, 2008
Yooooooooo wrote:
"No Child Left Behind" is BIG BIG Business! I’m sure plenty of "No Child Left Behind" money, that's extra money, flows to the average teacher and everyone in between.
Have you seen the test??? It takes 7 DAYS to give it at the elementary level and it is poorly written! If it were worthwhile, I would feel differently. I really feel for the learning disabled students who are frustrated and feel like failures. I always push my students to do their best, but I certainly don't belittle them when they truly try hard and still fail.
It should be for the Kids

Springtown, PA

#9 Mar 29, 2008
Teaching the test wrote:
The testing is forcing teachers and students to focus on reading and math. Reading and Math are the building blocks for all other subjects. If focusing on Reading and Math takes time away from the other subjects then maybe the school year needs to be extended another 20 days. What would the teacher's union say about that?
Adding 20 days to the school year won't help since the test is given in March. Not only do we need to focus on Reading and Math, we have to cram 9 months of school into 7. Holding everyone accountable for education isn't a bad idea, as long as EVERYBODY, and this includes parents, work together for the children. Everyone seems to be forgetting what's best for them.
Teaching the test

Allentown, PA

#10 Mar 29, 2008
It should be for the Kids wrote:
<quoted text> Adding 20 days to the school year won't help since the test is given in March. Not only do we need to focus on Reading and Math, we have to cram 9 months of school into 7. Holding everyone accountable for education isn't a bad idea, as long as EVERYBODY, and this includes parents, work together for the children. Everyone seems to be forgetting what's best for them.
Who said that the 20 days should be added at the end of the year? You seem to have one-way thinking.

My kids complain that tests are a waste of time because they are too easy. I'm not saying the test is perfect but I don't see a problem focusing learning the basics.
teaching is soo easy

Allentown, PA

#11 Mar 29, 2008
Lauren - if it is so easy being a teacher, why didn't you choose the profession? Oh, that is right - you couldn't hack it! I would love for you to survive one week in our job. Maybe you would then have more respect for teachers!
citizen

AOL

#12 Mar 29, 2008
teaching is soo easy wrote:
Lauren - if it is so easy being a teacher, why didn't you choose the profession? Oh, that is right - you couldn't hack it! I would love for you to survive one week in our job. Maybe you would then have more respect for teachers!
Oh I do agree with you. Working in the office of the school was hard work and I can't even imagine what it is to be a teacher particularly in Allentown. You are their parent as they have none at home who care. You feed them, make sure they have clothing to come to school and then you have after school programs so someone else can also do Mom's job. I always said that next the teachers or school personnel will have to go home and put them to bed too. If parents took some time to help their child at home, it would be so much easier. No teacher minds teaching but they do mind taking on the responsibilities of their parents too. How can you teach such poor children who come to school with such baggage and such stress and then expect them to learn.
check it out

Philadelphia, PA

#13 Mar 29, 2008
http://www.notonthetest.com/

Young people who consistently participate in comprehensive, sequential, and rigorous arts programs are:

- 4 times more likely to be recognized for academic achievement

- 3 times more likely to be elected to class office within their schools

- 4 times more likely to participate in a math and science fair

- 3 times more likely to win an award for school attendance

- 4 times more likely to win an award for writing an essay or poem.

(source: Americans for the Arts, fact sheet: www.artsusa.org/services/arts_education/resou... ).

The arts provide children with:

- different ways to process information and express their knowledge

- the ability to think creatively in areas like math and science

- the ability to be independent and collaboration skills

(source: Young Audiences, Inc. www.youngaudiences.org/ya.aspx... )

The arts also:

- teach children to make good judgments about qualitative relationships.

- celebrate multiple perspectives - showing students that there are many ways to see and interpret the world

- make it clear that neither words in their literal form nor numbers exhaust what we can know. The limits of our language do not
define the limits of our cognition.

- help children learn to say what cannot be said. They must learn to reach into their poetic capacities to find the words to describe how
the work of art makes them feel.

(source: National Art Education Association website - www.naea-reston.org/tenlessons.html . From Elliot Eisner's book: The Arts and the Creation of Mind)
Adam Smith

United States

#14 Mar 29, 2008
Teaching the test wrote:
What would you say if your employer told you that you had to work Saturdays for the summer for no extra pay? Probably the same thing the teachers would say.
Rob

Northumberland, PA

#15 Mar 30, 2008
What I find so interesting, is that in PA you could never have year round school, but NOT because of the Union, but because of parents AND the summer entertainment lobby. Their is currently a bill in the House that would mandate that ALL PA schools start after Labor Day. The reason? The summer entertainment industry (amusement parks, movie theaters, etc) all need the kids to work in the summer. Public education can shoulder some blame, but lets call a spade a spade, real change won't happen until it happens in Harrisburg and on some level, DC
Adam Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
What would you say if your employer told you that you had to work Saturdays for the summer for no extra pay? Probably the same thing the teachers would say.
Teach the test

Allentown, PA

#16 Mar 30, 2008
Adam Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm a true professional. I already work year round and whatever hours are necessary to get the job done.
My Thoughts

Macungie, PA

#17 Mar 30, 2008
Teaching the test wrote:
<quoted text>
Who said that the 20 days should be added at the end of the year? You seem to have one-way thinking.
My kids complain that tests are a waste of time because they are too easy. I'm not saying the test is perfect but I don't see a problem focusing learning the basics.
I find it interesting that as your children tell you the test is too easy, you're seemingly OK with that.
I would think in your case knowing the emphasis of study is for "THE TEST" you would be outraged that your children aren't being challenged.

I know I am!!
Teach the test

Allentown, PA

#18 Mar 31, 2008
My Thoughts wrote:
<quoted text>
I find it interesting that as your children tell you the test is too easy, you're seemingly OK with that.
I would think in your case knowing the emphasis of study is for "THE TEST" you would be outraged that your children aren't being challenged.

I know I am!!
I believe my kids find the test easy because they are well prepared by the teachers in the fundementals that the test is examining.
Cyber Parents

Bethlehem, PA

#19 Apr 7, 2008
Come chat with parents of cyber school students in PA:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PACyberSchooler...
good and bad teachers

Coatesville, PA

#20 May 29, 2012
majority were okay but still had bad apples

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Standardized Testing Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Paddling teacher under fire (Aug '14) 13 hr Walker Nude Clause 31
News South Korean cram school tutors deny wrongdoing... 19 hr Maltamoon 1
News Bishop Morin 'graduating' with St. Stanislaus' ... Sun Phil 2
News Policy Expert: Obama's Education Agenda Undermi... Sun Donald Trump 1
News Mt. Pleasant 7th-grader honored by talent ident... Sun Cali Pater 1
News Let's dig deep for public schools Sun Cali Pater 1
News Baylor Football Covered Up Rape, Trump and Bern... May 28 Cali Dad 3
More from around the web