Columbus City Schools: Deleted absenc...

Columbus City Schools: Deleted absences 7% of all records

There are 6 comments on the The Columbus Dispatch story from Aug 20, 2012, titled Columbus City Schools: Deleted absences 7% of all records. In it, The Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Columbus Superintendent Gene Harris has said her school district's attendance-cheating scandal needs context, and she's offered this: The 2.8 million records her staff deleted over the past five years represent only 4 percent of the records they could have deleted.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Columbus Dispatch.

Oliver

Springfield, OH

#1 Aug 20, 2012
Columbus City Schools have gone downhill since White Flight in 1977 Penick vs. Cols City Schools.
Whites took their money and brains to the suburbs and now you have an incompentent Gene Harris, as incompentent as the rules of Haiti or Uganda. No wonder Obama hates the suburbs.

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#2 Aug 20, 2012
Oliver wrote:
Columbus City Schools have gone downhill since White Flight in 1977 Penick vs. Cols City Schools.
Whites took their money and brains to the suburbs and now you have an incompentent Gene Harris, as incompentent as the rules of Haiti or Uganda. No wonder Obama hates the suburbs.
Why do you hate the city?

“Where did I put my tiara?”

Since: Dec 11

Columbus, OH

#3 Aug 20, 2012
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you hate the city?
Why do you hate the burbs?
Let's play the Reader game. Type a 15,000,000 character post and respond with a question when we can only come up with... nada.
Oliver

Springfield, OH

#4 Aug 21, 2012
Quote: "Gene Harris has said her school district's attendance-cheating scandal needs context, and she's offered this: The 2.8 million records her staff deleted over the past five years represent only 4 percent of the records they could have deleted."

Quote:

Only 4%.

What a pathic excuse!

This mentality is why Columbus Public Schools are failing while absorbing billions of dollars in property taxes.

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#5 Aug 21, 2012
Oliver wrote:
Quote: "Gene Harris has said her school district's attendance-cheating scandal needs context, and she's offered this: The 2.8 million records her staff deleted over the past five years represent only 4 percent of the records they could have deleted."
Quote:
Only 4%.
What a pathic excuse!
This mentality is why Columbus Public Schools are failing while absorbing billions of dollars in property taxes.
I have no love for Gene Harris. If there is any silver lining to this escapade it is that perhaps the Board will have what it takes to move her on down the road (a smoking gun can sometimes do wonders for a gutless group).

But the issues with Columbus schools are far more complex than Gene Harris, or even the white flight of the 1970s, although are important pieces of the puzzle. It is hard to find a thriving urban school system in America. We need to be willing to look not only at thosw few we may find and what makes them distinct, but also be willing to consider the successful systems of other countries and what has worked for them.
Oliver

Springfield, OH

#6 Aug 21, 2012
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no love for Gene Harris. If there is any silver lining to this escapade it is that perhaps the Board will have what it takes to move her on down the road (a smoking gun can sometimes do wonders for a gutless group).
But the issues with Columbus schools are far more complex than Gene Harris, or even the white flight of the 1970s, although are important pieces of the puzzle. It is hard to find a thriving urban school system in America. We need to be willing to look not only at thosw few we may find and what makes them distinct, but also be willing to consider the successful systems of other countries and what has worked for them.
I agree with this much of your post, "It is hard to find a thriving urban school system in America."

Liberals turned the world upside down in 1977 to save Black schools and nearly 50 years later the problem comes back to the same thing: Black mismanagement and corruption aka Haiti, Detriot and Somalia.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Standardized Testing Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Talihina superintendent's spending examined Tue Outraged 163
News Oklahoma colleges enrolling record numbers of H... Apr 15 Jorge the Illegal 2
News Asian Americans Are Fighting For Our Own Educat... (Aug '17) Apr 15 C Kersey 6
News Two Wichita East High School students hold hand... Apr 11 Lawchick 2
News Duncan School of Law does not meet admissions s... Apr 10 Lives near here 1
News GOP lawmakers in Kansas move to break school fu... Apr 7 ANDY 5
News St. Charles schools among many with drops on st... Mar '18 Carlton Meatstick 2