Resign: 5 EPISD board members must quit now

Full story: El Paso Times

Former El Paso Independent School District Superintendent Lorenzo Garcia's guilty plea to conspiracy charges on Wednesday marks an important first step toward accountability for years of disastrous leadership in one of the city's most important institutions.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 15 of15
No more money

Sacramento, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2012

Judged:

These defects have failed in their roles....

REIGN and help PAY BACK would have been better?

RESIGNATION WITH RESTITUTION !
Kapusta Kate

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2012

Judged:

No more money wrote:
These defects have failed in their roles...
RESIGNATION WITH RESTITUTION !
I'm sad to say that unless the average El Paso Taxpayer is willing to hold EPISD's feet to the fire. The average El Paso taxpayer will foot the bill for the theft of these "educators".
Now when the taxes go up, you'll feel smarter.
How stupid

Sacramento, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2012

Judged:

Kapusta Kate wrote:
<quoted text> I'm sad to say that unless the average El Paso Taxpayer is willing to hold EPISD's feet to the fire. The average El Paso taxpayer will foot the bill for the theft of these "educators".
SAY NO to continued corruption.

HOUSECLEANING like you mean it is required.
What

Dallas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2012

Judged:

There will be no change so long as the people allow unethical and corrupt behavior.

Some will yawn and couldn't care less until they hear the cry for higher taxes. These corrupt and unethical people have no fear. They just need to steer clear of the FBI, everyone else will wink and smile. So whom is the blame? US!
WTH

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2012

Judged:

This editorial by the Slimy Times is like the pot calling the kettle black.
Lencho

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2012

Judged:

Ysela Castannon Williams,get off the Editors Bobbys case. Remember we have Gustavvo Revvelles on our side. Dammon Murphyy will send him to set his old friends at the Times straight. Tavo owes us big time. Or his gastric bypass surgery won't be approved this summer. Luther still has contacts with the Insurance Co. Can I please have my cell reinstated?I need to make important calls. All you seven stay focused,come over with the Pizza after 10. Tell the rest of the board I want Amber Bock,gained too much weight with the Coors.
Dammonn

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2012

Judged:

Larry,why do you and Pamm keep turning off the lights at your casa when I and Gus go over?We need to clear some things up. Stop avoiding us. Jesus has inside job now closer to ken parker and more dinero. They won't figure it out. Just there for the taking. Tracy needs me to relay some files to you. Stick with the plan and story. We need the Co name of the commercial shredder you had installed at Strelzs house. Bueno got to go now I'm getting a lot of suspicious looks at starbucks. I know your there at night. Don't turn the lights off. Please
PATRIOT

San Antonio, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2012

Judged:

What wrote:
There will be no change so long as the people allow unethical and corrupt behavior.
Some will yawn and couldn't care less until they hear the cry for higher taxes. These corrupt and unethical people have no fear. They just need to steer clear of the FBI, everyone else will wink and smile. So whom is the blame? US!
There will be change if they are being flagged by the Texas Education Agency and their State Board of Educator Certification. If these educators are not being investigated, and their certificates are not being revoked, then something is really going wrong in El Paso and Austin. SBEC has an e-mail address.
PATRIOT

San Antonio, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2012

Judged:

To update-Lorenzo Guerra Garcia, Jr., is currently being investigated by the SBEC Unit of Professional Discipline.

For Board Members, check Texas Ethics Code of the Texas Government Code on how to file on them.
Taxpayer

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2012

Thank you. Being filed on.

Since: Mar 11

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2012

Judged:

WTH wrote:
This editorial by the Slimy Times is like the pot calling the kettle black.
Married to somone in the front office?
EPISD Board

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2012

Judged:

Julie Barrios is the Wife of EPISD Board Trustee J. Barrios. Very concerned with medias reports.
PATRIOT

San Antonio, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2012

Judged:

Current interim superintendent not flagged. If she was a curriculum director, she would have had to know about the fraudulent grades. She is not living in a vacuum.
Ex- El Paso resident

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2012

Judged:

Kapusta Kate wrote:
<quoted text> I'm sad to say that unless the average El Paso Taxpayer is willing to hold EPISD's feet to the fire. The average El Paso taxpayer will foot the bill for the theft of these "educators".
The EPISD will not pursue Garcia to get the funds back but maybe the taxpayers in the District should file a joint civil suit against Garcia and the trustees to get back whatever they can for the benefit of the school. They should also pursue the prior trustees that did the deal on the health insurance with a little kickback.

At $280K in pay per year plus thieft of the $450K and he is only being fined $180K? I will bet he still gets to keep his retirement too!! What a bunch of crap. Let me see steal 1/2 a million, make $300K a year (face it his benfits were great so lets round), keep my retirement and the only finacial risk is $180K. What a deal

No real punishment to Government folks for stealing tax money. Look at Neely and the GSA. The head of the GSA and Neely both keep their great retirement from the tax payers after one stole from the taxpayer and the boss let it happen.

Want to stop political corruption?

If a politician, appointee, employee, whoever working with tax payer money gets caught stealing and convicted then everything they have should be on the block to pay back the tax payers (home, cars, bank accounts, stocks, etc.) and to punish them they loose all retirement benefits including health insurance.

In the private sector companies tend to go after those that steal from them. Time the hard working taxpayer did the same. Make it hurt for these theives.

Next time a school district tells you that new bond and associated tax increase is "for the kids" you need to think about Mr. Garcia and this BS (he should never be called Doctor again). EPISD will have a really hard time selling that line of BS now.
JWRussell

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2012

Judged:

No one wants it that way.
["Resign now
#1-The situation at EPISD requires that all parties who have guided -- or misguided -- the district resign or be terminated. As a member of the board, you must accept responsibility for actions -- or inactions -- you took that allowed the superintendent and company to create an educational monster problem.

It's a matter of doing the right thing, and for you the right thing to do is to resign now.

Please do so without excuses and out of a sense of honor and respect for the school district and its students, their teachers, parents, and the community at large. Marie E. Barker West El Paso

#2-This is in response to your front-page editorial Sunday calling for the resignation of five of the EPISD board members.

I cannot speak to the other four, but I know, and have worked with, Russell Wiggs. I know for a fact he is a hard-working advocate for the students and would never knowingly do anything that would harm them in any way.

To call for this action, before all the facts are known, is careless sensationalism. Where was the media when all this was going on?
I know people brought allegations forward that were dismissed because Dr. Garcia was the darling of the media at the time.
If you are going to call for their resignations, then resign as well because all of the media outlets in town dropped the ball just as you are accusing them of doing. Robert Word West El Paso"]

It is time for a recall of the five board members where were on the board at the time of the debacle with Dr. Garcia.(hopefully with his conviction his certificates as an educator is revoked) The board failed in it's duties to properly monitor the actions of the superintendent and his subordinates in such a manner that rules for federal standards were met no matter how painful that would have been. It has become very painful now that the actions of a few have caused with the entire district.

I am with the City Council in that there should only be one district in El Paso County controlling all the school. All the districts should be in a County wide school district and all the school board members that exist today would be on the county wide district. The city and county governments would have not say in the districts. It would also consolidate all the school taxes into one tax at one rate. It would save time and eventually cost less in tax money.

Let the people get together and get a recall of the five school board members now.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 15 of15
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Standardized Testing Discussions

Search the Standardized Testing Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
White and black divide Jul 3 seriously 12
Tips for getting into the University of Florida (Dec '08) Jul 1 MaltaMon 87
Gay Place Jun 26 Master Bates 1
Surfing the Web in class? Bad idea Jun 24 djw 4
Marist Brothers made no effort to find paedophi... Jun 23 Monsignor Maltamon 5
Over 80 PERCENT Of New York Residents Say Commo... Jun 18 MacDaddyobama 1
Mother claims daughter assaulted at school Jun 15 Daring Jungle Widow 3
•••
•••