Overton, charter school's chief, dies

Full story: GoErie.com

Students at the Robert Benjamin Wiley Community Charter School will return to class without the school's leader.

Comments (Page 3)

Showing posts 41 - 58 of58
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
WHO

Belleville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2009

WELL SAID, MR. MARC BLOUNT!
TNT wrote:
I want so much to stoop to Theo's level and tell about how unprofessional and ignorant he was to staff and students. I want to tell about how because of him people became physically ill because of how he would torment them. I want people to know how he treated our students and made them feel like prisoners. I want to tell about how he would harass and threaten staff members. I want people to know how he did not respect parents and did not want them in the school. Instead, I wish theo and his family peace.
imabeliever

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2009

uhhh excuse me, but all this talk about not stooping to his level, whatever that was...Well, you just did!!!!In fact, because of it, you are worse...
Scott

Erie, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2009

Whatever happpened to the twenty grand in consulting fees that former Edinboro president Frank Pogue was given to help advise the charter school on improvement itself?

Was anything done at all?
its too quiet

Erie, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2009

Scott wrote:
Whatever happpened to the twenty grand in consulting fees that former Edinboro president Frank Pogue was given to help advise the charter school on improvement itself?
Was anything done at all?
Nothing was done! Nothing was ever done! Want to make a lot of money? Willing to lie, steal, abuse???? Go apply for that job~!!!!
nobody

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2009

I just wanting to know how the school been laterly. Is everything o.k. there ?
NPH

Southfield, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2009

I am Sadden to hear of Mr. Overton's transition.
May the Most Divine Creator give him Eternal Love
and Peace . Mr. Overton was a demanding but progressive administrator. He had a contagious smile,a tall presence and had Great Expectations.
Many prayers to his family and to those who had the
priviledge of meeting him along his earthly journey
One thing that is for sure whether you loked him or
not he left an impression
Breathing easier

Edinboro, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2009

nobody wrote:
I just wanting to know how the school been laterly. Is everything o.k. there ?
It is so peaceful at the school. What needs to get done is getting done. There was never any need for Theo's bullying, threatening, lying and harrassing. The funny thing is that when ou treat people with respect, they respond happily. Theo made more a grim and depressing school. You can just feel the relief in the school now that he is gone. Oh, and for the record, everyone is doing great! The staff is focused on helping the students achieve greatness.
Allen Lamb

Southfield, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2009

People in small towns are generally scared of big/broad changes. They tend to like to take baby steps (but your failing school district couldn't afford that). The major changes that your district required, the majority of your community was not up for the task; why do you think they brought in an outsider? Therefore; blame the person who comes in with the plan for the change. Change generally required someone new, someone from the outside, someone with new & fresh ideas. Could your staff find someone
from within...?
Another former teacher

Ashburn, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2009

Allen Lamb wrote:
People in small towns are generally scared of big/broad changes. They tend to like to take baby steps (but your failing school district couldn't afford that). The major changes that your district required, the majority of your community was not up for the task; why do you think they brought in an outsider? Therefore; blame the person who comes in with the plan for the change. Change generally required someone new, someone from the outside, someone with new & fresh ideas. Could your staff find someone
from within...?
You don't know what you are talking about. You were not at the school. Everyone wanted changes in the school. It was Theo's abusiveness that people hated. There was nothing new and fresh about his attitude and methods.
Allen Lamb

Southfield, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2009

Change does not come about without frustration, fear,and some level of resentment. Change is not easy to accept, and it takes a while to develop trust in the new leadership, but as time goes by
Allen Lamb

Southfield, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2009

Another former teacher wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't know what you are talking about. You were not at the school. Everyone wanted changes in the school. It was Theo's abusiveness that people hated. There was nothing new and fresh about his attitude and methods.
You don't know what you are talking about. Why did they hirer an outsider? Because SOB's like yourself were not qualified.
Allen Lamb

Southfield, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2009

WHO wrote:
WELL SAID, MR. MARC BLOUNT!<quoted text>
That become Mr Overton was not about business as usual, when they got challenged and had to produce they were not equipped for the change, so they became physically ill! If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen.
Allen Lamb

Southfield, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2009

Ruth Detroit wrote:
I wish his family peace.He was an awful person.
Probably not as awful as you. You can't always attempt to judge a person on your limited professional relationship. If you had been priviledge to know him outside perhaps you would have had the pleasure of knowing a different person. Too bad you weren't that priviledge...your loss.
danielle gomolekoff

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2009

Mr. Overton was my principle,
he saw a vision in all the kids that are currently attending RBWCCS (Robert Benjamin Whiley Commmunity Charter School), him and Mr. Whiley saw some thing that no one else saw. I think that he was a brave man, and a wonderful principle.And everyday everyone says the pledge that he made himself. that says that he has a vision of every single one of the students being sucessful. Also he said all the time, "Changing Erie One Student At A Time." And i believe that we all at RBWCCS should stick to his plan. And i pray for his family.

A RBWCCS student
-Danielle Gomolekoff
Yep

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2009

JSW wrote:
Is this JMA or PJR?
Is this EIEIO???? LOL
DDP

Columbia, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2010

Well, Mr. Overton was the greatest teacher that I ever had. He did have a different way of handling things and it made me mad as a child when I was in his class. Well.... I am in a PhD program now and a year and a half after his death, I am just learning of it. I owe my determination and zeal for life and education to Theo Overton. He might have had a "CRAZY JOE" way of going about things, but I am certain that each and every child that he encountered was his first priority. I agree, I could have NEVER worked for him...lol But as a person, he was a great man and I miss him dearly. Just the other day, I was looking on Face Book to see if I could find him, when my ex-wife (who was his asst. principal in a school in MI) told me to stop looking because he had passed away almost two years ago....I was crushed. He will be missed.
Friend From Southfield

Washington, DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2011

Sorry to hear of Mr. Overtonís death. Mostly I sorry that most for you did not get to know him outside of the work environment. We did not always see eye to eye on many issues but that was okay. His dedication was to the children and I can respect that. He wanted the best for all of our children. As children ourselves, we can all remember someone who had an impact on our lives and usually they were the ones who were brave enough to take that hard stance in spite of what others said. I can respect someone like that and hope his family may find peace.
Todd L Chatman

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

I had the opportunity to work with Mr.Overton at Inkster Public Schools back in '94-'96.I understood his way of doing things as an administrator.He took people out of their comfort zones.Of course he rubbed some people the wrong way but that's how it is sometimes.I remember when he first got to Baylor/Woodson Elementary,I went up to him and introduced myself and told him I'm goin to help you with the students.To get to know them.And the students liked him.To read things that have been written about him had me stuck but I can't comment.Teachers get laxed and set in their own ways too.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 41 - 58 of58
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Standardized Testing Discussions

Search the Standardized Testing Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
White and black divide Jul 3 seriously 12
Tips for getting into the University of Florida (Dec '08) Jul 1 MaltaMon 87
Gay Place Jun 26 Master Bates 1
Surfing the Web in class? Bad idea Jun 24 djw 4
Marist Brothers made no effort to find paedophi... Jun 23 Monsignor Maltamon 5
Over 80 PERCENT Of New York Residents Say Commo... Jun 18 MacDaddyobama 1
Mother claims daughter assaulted at school Jun 15 Daring Jungle Widow 3
•••
•••