Overton, charter school's chief, dies

Full story: GoErie.com 58
Students at the Robert Benjamin Wiley Community Charter School will return to class without the school's leader. Full Story
Please

Cleveland, OH

#22 Dec 31, 2008
opps I was throw off for a minute. I just realized I really have been talking to you.
Against Negative comments wrote:
My prayers are with the family at this time and Theo was truly a unique person and had a way to leave you thinking about him for a long time. "judge ye not that ye be not judge" His day has come and we must recognize that negative comments only make each person look closer at themselves to be a better person.
Please

Cleveland, OH

#23 Dec 31, 2008
Please quit talking to us like you are God and we might ever have to answer to you. We will all answer for our own issues and it won't be because you enlightened anyone on the issue. If nothing else you turn people away from God and that is not what a good Christian is ever supposed to do.
<quoted text>
thanks for your comments "be careful of speaking ill of the dead" this is well written. we all have faults.
Please

Cleveland, OH

#24 Dec 31, 2008
His judgement is coming and you know what, myself and others are asking for forgivness and help letting Theo go. We know that this isn't good and that we will have to answer for it. You and others like you on the other hand will be in trouble on judgement day because you really see nothing wrong with single handedly turning many away from the Lord. You have no place judging anyone. Do you realize you will have to answer for that? I pray so. Theo is happy now in heaven and I am sure he prayed for forgiveness for all that he did on earth. We would be good with that as long as some here on earth learn from his mistakes and make changes.
<quoted text>
Your comments of any negative reaction to Theo should have been told to him in life and keep all other comments to your self as the family tries to get through this time. His judgement day is coming and "judge ye not that ye be not judge"
The Real Theo Overton

Columbus, OH

#26 Dec 31, 2008
Did you know that Mr. Theo Overton was divorced and remarried. He has a 32 yr. old son and 34 yr old daughter living in Michigan. They are both married with seven children between them. Yes, Mr. Overton is the grandfather of seven beautiful grandchildren. Although he was estranged from his children. He is also the father of two adopted daughters in Michigan which he did maintain a father/daughter relationship.
Loving Parent

Erie, PA

#27 Jan 1, 2009
Our hearts and PRAYER'S go out to the families of Theo Overton, a great leader! He was much appreciated, sadly missed and forever remembered.

I posted a comment earlier, but it seems to not have made the comment page as of yet.

May God continue to keep you all in his hands during your time of mourning.
Ruth Detroit

Southgate, MI

#29 Jan 1, 2009
I wish his family peace.He was an awful person.
lakerman1

United States

#30 Jan 1, 2009
I thought the attorney's comment was peculiar, when he said that overton 'was not contagious.' What was the point in that statement? Why would anyone think overton was contagious?
Pete

Erie, PA

#32 Jan 1, 2009
This school has been a terrible place for years. If anything, it should be closed down and even many educators would tell you that. The problem is that the school is named after Ben Wiley, so there is a civil rights aspect associated with the school. The school won't be shut down simply because it has Wiley's name on it. It's as simple as that.

Wiley himself was also no saint. Ben Wiley was racist, rude, and arrogant.
do you know his history

Southgate, MI

#34 Jan 1, 2009
Theo was a former Detroit Public school Principal.He was fired.He was so terrible to teachers.His resume is a lie.
formerlystupid

Erie, PA

#35 Jan 2, 2009
Sad Employee wrote:
It's amazing that even in death people love to attack that which they cannot control. He brought accountability to the school. He had to fix 8 years of bad leadership. You are right, he could have done and sid things in a better way. But, hey, we all have a faults. He who is with out sin, throw the first stone. Regardless of how you felt about him, he is dead, may he rest in peace. be careful of speaking il of the dead. Remember that!!!!!
Make a voodoo doll of us or something and shut up. Go find someone to take Theos place and make you some more money. Employees and ex-employees-go take your meds and listen to some relaxing music.
Loving Parent

Erie, PA

#36 Jan 2, 2009
HELLO ALL...PLEASE STOP!
It's ALL IN GOD'S HANDS NOW. LET'S MOVE ON AND SAVE OUR STUDENT'S! THE SCHOOL NEEDS A COMMUNITY, THERE IS MORE GRANT MONIES BEING TRANSITIONED INTO WELL OFF COMMUNITIES THAT ARE WRITTEN IN SUPPORT OF LOW INCOME, URBAN COMMUNITES.
BE HONEST! THEO WAS NOT THE ONLY PROBLEM...BLACKS AND WHITES IN THE ERIE COMMUNITY STILL HAVE NOT FOUND A WAY TO EFFECTIVELY CROSS COMMUNICATE, IN THE BEST INTEREST OF GROWING HEALTHY COMMUNITIES/EDUCATION AND CITY WIDE EQUALITY. NO NEED TO POINT FINGER'S NOW THEO IS RESTING PEACFULLY WITH OUR LORD AND SAVIOR. ONLY GOD CAN HELP HIM NOW. LET'S MOVE ON TO EDUCATE PARENT'S, STAFF AND COMMUNITY LEADERS WITH BETTER THAT WOULB BETTER INCREASE COMMUNAL INTEREST, SUCH AS HONEST GOVERNMENTAL PRACTICES AND POLICIES, ACCROSS THE BOARD. SOME OF YOU HAVE A GUILTY CONSCIOUS AND FEED INTO THIS NEGATIVE OUTLET...FREE YOUR MIND! NONE OF US ARE PERFECT, AND OUR KIDS NEED US FIRST, THEY ARE IN BIG TROUBLE; ESPECIALLY WITH SO MANY ANGER STAFF MEMBERS, PARENTS, THEY NEED A LOVING ENVIRONMENT AT HOME AND IN SCHOOL. THEY ARE HUMAN BEINGS WITH GREAT POTENTIAL. THESE COMMENTS CONFIRM SOME PEOPLE'S PERSONAL APPROACH TO DEALING WITH CONTROVERSAL ISSUES, I RESPECT THAT, BUT DEATH IS SAD. GOD FORBIDE THE CHILDREN READING THIS STUFF ABOUT COMMUNITY, LEADERSHIP, AND COWARDNESS. HOW COME ANYONE STAYED,IF IT WERE SO BAD? BOTTOM LINE.."MONEY." JUST LIKE THEO MANY RECEIVED A PAY CHECK AND KEPT THEIR MOUTHS SHUT. FOCUS ON THE CHILDREN THEY ARE THE FUTURE, AND THEY ALL NEED OUR HELP! ASAP. REGARDLESS OF MR. WILEY'S NAME BEING ON THE SCHOOL IF THE RBWCCS FAILS, THEN WE ALL HAVE FAILED NOT ONLY OURSELVES, MOST IMPORTANTLY THE CHILDREN. PEACE!
WE NEED TO BEGIN FROM THE TOP DOWN AND THEO WAS DOING THE BEST HE COULD UNDER THE CONDITIONS PRESENTED.
IF YOUR READY TO MAKE CHANGE AND MOVE ON SIGN UP HERE AND NOW, BY WRITTING TO ME A LOVING PARENT; SIMPLY MAKE A COMMENT THAT STATES YOUR COMMITTMENT. WHATEVER YOU HAVE TO OFFER THE STUDENTS AT THE RBWCCS WILL APPRECIATE YOUR HELP.
GOD BLESS YOU ALL AND PRAY TO GOD FOR LONGEVITY BECAUSE WE NEVER KNOW WHEN OUR TURN COMES, JUST BE READY. DO YOUR BEST TO BE A GOOD PERSON AS GOD'S WILL SHALL BE DONE IN THE END. I LOVE ALL THE STUDENT'S AND STAFF AT THE RBWCCS I WOULD HOPE YOU ALL ARE DOING YOUR BEST BECAUSE GOD IS WATCHING...
MR.THEO OVERTON, REST IN PEACE FOREVER AND EVER!
SIGN-UP NOW
ETC...
Art VanDelay

Cleveland, OH

#37 Jan 2, 2009
In response to loving parent. I would say your thoughts about the communication and people needing to be able to have a fresh and new outlook are correct. But one of the things you are very wrong about is people being at the charter school for money. Many people are there and have stayed even though it was a cut in pay because they believed in Mr. Wiley's dream and the students. We do need to start over but it is scary and frustrating especially to those that have stayed at a high cost to their personal lives. No one would dare say that working with the students and receiving the gifts that working at the charter school gives wasn't worth it but the question comes "Can I trust that it won't happen again?". For some I just think it would go a long way if someone said they were sorry and vowed to start over and not repeat the same mistakes. But really if we as individuals can't try to start over also then we shouldn't stay. The problem is the new employees don't get the same experience of love, hope and excitement many of us recieved when we started at the charter school. They are not having an opportunity to reap the rewards that we did because they are too many new people to support each other. There aren't enough veteren teachers to physically support them all, which is contributing to the turn over along with the issues mentioned on this blog. The kids are the ones that are truly hurting and we didn't do it for the money we did it for them. By the way about the grants, you would be shocked at the money that is going into the charter school from all different kinds of sources. It would truly amaze you and I will leave it at that. Your thoughts and words are appreciated. Please keep supporting and fighting for the school.
Loving Parent

Erie, PA

#38 Jan 2, 2009
Mr.VanDelay,
MAY I CLARIFY, WHEN I SUGGESTED MONEY BEING A PRIME FACTOR IN THE EQUATION OF CHARTER SCHOOL ISSUES. I WAS ONLY TRYING TO MAKE A POINT, AS TO WHY NO ONE SPOKE UP AND OUT. I BELIEVE IT WAS SIMPLY OUT OF FEAR... IM CERTAIN THE TEACHERS WHO WORK AT THE CHARTER SCHOOL EXTEND THEMSELVES ABOVE AND BEYOND THE CALL...AND LOVE TEACHING. UNQUESTIONABLE! MY QUESTION...
"HOW COME ANYONE STAYED,IF IT WERE SO BAD? BOTTOM LINE.."MONEY." JUST LIKE THEO MANY RECEIVED A PAY CHECK AND KEPT THEIR MOUTHS SHUT."

I BELIEVE PEOPLE REFRAIN FROM WORK RELATED INJUSTICES, DUE TO THE NEED FOR SURVIVAL, SUSTAINABILITY, AND FEAR. PLEASE KNOW I TRULY BELIEVE IT WAS NOT MONEY. IM CERTAIN WHEN THEY DECIDED TO BECOME TEACHERS THEY WERE WELL AWARE OF SCHOOL BASED ISSUES AND INJUSTICES. I ASKED THE QUESTION AND GAVE THE PRIME FACTOR AS TO WHY PEOPLE DEDICATE THEMSELVES TO ANY PROFESSION, INEQUALITIES PREVAIL THEMSELVES. IM CERTAIN DOCTORS DEDICATE THEMSELVES BECAUSE THEY WANT TO SAVE LIVES, BUT WHEN DECIDING WHO GETS AN ORGAN AND WHO DOES NOT...OVERTIME BEGINS TO WARE ON A PERSON. I REALIZE MONEY, CHILDREN AND EDUCATION ARE ALL VERY SENSITIVE NOUNS, AND DUE TO UNEXPECTED DEMISE OF MR. OVERTON, ALOT OF EMOTIONS AND SENSITIVITIES ARE HIGHTENED. I DID NOT MEAN TO OFFEND. I SIMPLY INDICATED A REALISTIC FACTOR AS TO WHY ALL THE "HUSH MOUTHS" AS THE SAME WOULD APPLY TO ANY WORK ENVIRONMENTS LACK OF STAND FOR CHANGE. LOOK AT THE POSITION AMERICA IS IN. THE TRUTH BE TOLD, MONEY, POWER AND GREED IS THE PRIME FACTOR FOR GLOBAL DETERIORATION. I REALLY WOULD LIKE MORE PEOPLE TO STEP UP AND SPEAK OUT ABOUT THE AIR QUALITY THAT IS RIGHT IN THE BACK YARD OF THE CHARTER SCHOOL...THINK ABOUT IT GREED! LET'S NOT WAIT TOO LONG MR. VANDELAY, I WANT TO BE APART OF THE SOLUTION AND STILL BE ABLE TO FEED MY FAMILY. WHEN YOU START SPEAKING OUT PEOPLE QUICKLY CHANGE FACE FOR THE FEAR THAT THEIR STABILITY AND LIVELY COMFORTS MAY BE JEPORDIZED. I KNOW ALOT OF TEACHERS AND TRUST ME...I KNOW IT'S NOT FOR THE MONEY, MOST OFTEN THEY END UP SPENDING ALOT OF THEIR OWN PERSONAL MONEY TO ASSURE THE COMFORT AND INCREASED QUALITY AND CARE FOR THEIR STUDENTS. THANK YOU.

GOD BLESS,

LOVING PARENT
FYI

United States

#39 Jan 2, 2009
Loving Parent...
Just fyi, the principal and his "cabinet" are the only ones making any kind of money at the charter school. Teachers and assistants that are no longer assistants but rather are bathroom monitors are GROSSLY underpaid. They are at the forefront and yet they are eligible for government assistance in some cases. No, loving parent, teachers are not greedy and there for the money, because if money was the factor, not a single teacher would still be there.
former employee

Southgate, MI

#40 Jan 2, 2009
The bottom line is..What kind of person was he?Come on DPS
Art VanDelay

Cleveland, OH

#41 Jan 2, 2009
Loving parent, I appreciate this calm, safe, secure exchange of ideas even if they are not exactly in the same agreement. If we could have had equal conversations and aceptance of others ideas the school wouldn't be in this position. You are right some staff needed to keep their mouth shut to feed their families but I have to say there were others of us who didn't keep there mouths shut and fought til the very end not in hiding but to Mr. Overtons face in the name of the children. The blog did give a voice to some staff that were in fear but others were fighting from the start. Really thhings fell apart about October of last year. we tried to keep families out of it and were fighting for them but it did not work. Hopefully now it will change. You didn't know how hard some of us fought for your rights and the rights of your children in private to Theo's face but not wanting to taint the name of the school, it didn't work. I am not offended at all by your comments. But again this battle was in private outside of parents eyes. Mr. Overton threated to ruin mine and many other careers if we didn't just fall in line. Trust me you have no idea the battles and the sacrafice of some staff to fight the raping of the school funds for certain persons personal agdenda and use. You are right goverment and business is corrupt and the gap between whites and blacks makes a place like the charter school even more ripe for that kind abuse of funds. Believe me the board and others would like to make it sound like we didn't say anything and we hide but there were far more speaking then not and some really put their careers on the line. I have faith no matter what staff does if parents like you keep involved and hold them accountable to show proof of some of these controversial uses of money then the school will make it. As for the reason to stay, that was because I thought i could make a difference and as long as I was fighting for what was right I would be ok but that didn't happen. Myself and others fought long and hard to make sure you parents were being treated properly and your childrens rights were protected. The threat of ruining my teaching career and others was very intimidating. The details should now die with Theo but know we fought and not in hiding. You and others may need to take up that fight. I know many are worn down and may be too wounded to continue, but we will try. Please don't give up. Let us know if there is something we can do to make our school safe, secure learning environment for all. We appreciate your concern and involvement. Happy New Year by the way.
Former Charter Teacher

Cleveland, OH

#42 Jan 3, 2009
I wish there were more parents who are outspoken as you, loving parent. But the fact is, there isn't and that is why the Charter School has had the problems it has had, with and without Overton. I am a teacher who left because I knew what was going was unethical and I would not stand for it any longer. You are right to a point that many teachers stay for the money. I was asked if I could "afford to quit" and to me, the money would never keep me in an environment like that. It is funny how everything has turned out, with Overton passing less than a month after my resignation. I miss my students dearly and they know that. It was not easy leaving the school after almost 3 years. I ask that more parents stand up for their children...they are our most precious gifts.
concerned momma

Warren, OH

#43 Jan 4, 2009
There are many parents who belive in our children and RBWCCS and many parents who stood up to Overton. Many teachers quit because of him and my children have personally dealt with the ignorance that he dished out,but I feel if people are so concerned with our school and our childrens future maybe the bashing of Overton should lighten up some. We need to teach our children respect FIRST. How can we do that if they are reading this kind of public negativity towards an adult or the dead? I just hope we get someone who is a possitive role model,principle for our school this time. Not a "Board"
WHO

Belleville, MI

#44 Jan 9, 2009
The attorney is a white racists idiot , that's why he typed that bull in the news article. Why couldn't he have said that he died and left it like that???
lakerman1 wrote:
I thought the attorney's comment was peculiar, when he said that overton 'was not contagious.' What was the point in that statement? Why would anyone think overton was contagious?
WHO

Belleville, MI

#45 Jan 9, 2009
I AGREE. IF PEOPLE WOULD TYPE AS MANY LETTERS TO THE BOARD INSTEAD OF THIS BLOG, MAYBE CHANGE COULD COME!
concerned momma wrote:
There are many parents who belive in our children and RBWCCS and many parents who stood up to Overton. Many teachers quit because of him and my children have personally dealt with the ignorance that he dished out,but I feel if people are so concerned with our school and our childrens future maybe the bashing of Overton should lighten up some. We need to teach our children respect FIRST. How can we do that if they are reading this kind of public negativity towards an adult or the dead? I just hope we get someone who is a possitive role model,principle for our school this time. Not a "Board"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Standardized Testing Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Amity High School To Present Play About Survivo... 3 hr Frank 13
Diversity Perversity (Apr '11) Wed Dayton Taxpayer 6
Hundreds of Colorado high school students refus... Dec 12 Innocent Still 21
Campus safety concerns Dec 7 Phil 4
This Week In The War On Women, November 23-29, ... Dec 7 LineDazzle 2
Pittsfield schools superintendent aims to tackl... Dec 7 Maltamon 9
High school to test for students' weekend drink... (Feb '07) Dec 7 PHIL 4
More from around the web