Overton, charter school's chief, dies

Full story: GoErie.com

Students at the Robert Benjamin Wiley Community Charter School will return to class without the school's leader.
Comments
1 - 20 of 58 Comments Last updated Feb 1, 2013
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Sad Employee

Erie, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2008

His death was a shock and he will be missed greatly. He was a good man and a good leader. His memory shall continue as we strive to change this community one student at a time. Thank you Theo for giving of yourself to Erie and R.B. Wiley. Charterland will not be the same without you.
Thats pushing it

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2008

Please. There are some things we could say that are "ok" or "good" about Mr. Overton but leader is not one of them. This is a horrible article. Who would have approved something like this to be written about a "great leader"? He has passed and deserves some respect for that but please! No one can even write a decent obituary. He did try to change things and his tactics were not the greatest to some but I will give him the fact that I think he thought he was doing what was right. I think he did want to change the education system. He just didn't know how to do it. He was a very proud man and out of his frustration treated others the way he did. He had to blame the failure on someone else other then himself. It is hard work and Mr. Wiley knew it. Too bad he couldn't have been more patient because he really might have been the one to make it work if he hadn't made so many emotional mistakes.
Sad Employee wrote:
His death was a shock and he will be missed greatly. He was a good man and a good leader. His memory shall continue as we strive to change this community one student at a time. Thank you Theo for giving of yourself to Erie and R.B. Wiley. Charterland will not be the same without you.
Former Charter Teacher

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2008

Theo Overton was a very determined and passionate man. However, his tactics for "turning" RBWCCS around exploited both teachers and students. It astonishes me that a man can be so arrogant and selfish even in death. I want everyone to know that what seemed to the public as good intentions, were indeed a cover for what really went on at the school. You just don't do business like that, especially when it comes to children's education. I feel for the staff that has endured over the years, I could not stand for something that was not fair nor right, and that was Mr. Overton. Maybe I'm wrong, but an effective leader does not sit in his office and give orders. He had no interest in the students and treated his staff poorly (that's saying it kindly). He has been ill for months now and was unable to meet the duties of his job. Now, the children and staff are left to clean up his mess. I know that the charter school family will embrace the change and really change the lives of the children. That is why we are there, right?
Former Charter Teacher

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2008

Forget to mention...to answer a parent's question from earlier this year. Yes, students are "pushed" through to the next grade. They were treated as numbers, not children with different needs!
slow

Erie, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2008

9 days ago?
Another former teacher

Waterford Works, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2008

Former Charter Teacher wrote:
Theo Overton was a very determined and passionate man. However, his tactics for "turning" RBWCCS around exploited both teachers and students. It astonishes me that a man can be so arrogant and selfish even in death. I want everyone to know that what seemed to the public as good intentions, were indeed a cover for what really went on at the school. You just don't do business like that, especially when it comes to children's education. I feel for the staff that has endured over the years, I could not stand for something that was not fair nor right, and that was Mr. Overton. Maybe I'm wrong, but an effective leader does not sit in his office and give orders. He had no interest in the students and treated his staff poorly (that's saying it kindly). He has been ill for months now and was unable to meet the duties of his job. Now, the children and staff are left to clean up his mess. I know that the charter school family will embrace the change and really change the lives of the children. That is why we are there, right?
Well said. I think the majority of staff at the Charter School would agree with your statement.
sniffle

Erie, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2008

Sad Employee wrote:
oh, JMA, that almost brought a tear to my eye, beautifully written.
what the

North Ridgeville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2008

sniffle wrote:
<quoted text>
LOLOLOL, what makes you think JMA wrote this. Even though I was sitting here thinking the samething.
JSW

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2008

Is this JMA or PJR?
brainfreeze

Erie, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2008

hmmm good question. Extremely brief for JMA, but she may have just been eating delicious Troyer Farm chips. PJR would be the best bet.
Sad Employee

Erie, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2008

It's amazing that even in death people love to attack that which they cannot control. He brought accountability to the school. He had to fix 8 years of bad leadership. You are right, he could have done and sid things in a better way. But, hey, we all have a faults. He who is with out sin, throw the first stone. Regardless of how you felt about him, he is dead, may he rest in peace. be careful of speaking il of the dead. Remember that!!!!!
virgogirl

Erie, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2008

To sad employee: Your comment "be careful of speaking ill of the dead" --Theo should have known all along that God does not like ugly - ugly is what he was until he took his last breath and I believe this is why God gave him an illness that inflicted him with great pain. In the end though, Theo will have to make peace with his creator - he will have to answer only to him. We are all just left here on earth to shake our heads and say how could one person arrive in Erie, disrupt so many lives in so short of time and then be gone???

To the Charter School staff: Continue the mission that Mr. Wiley set forth 10 years ago. May you all find peace and harmony in the new year. Make a difference in the lives of your students and be proud to say you work at the Robert Benjamin Wiley Community Charter School.
Against Negative comments

Plymouth, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2008

Another former teacher wrote:
<quoted text>
Well said. I think the majority of staff at the Charter School would agree with your statement.
Your comments of any negative reaction to Theo should have been told to him in life and keep all other comments to your self as the family tries to get through this time. His judgement day is coming and "judge ye not that ye be not judge"

Plymouth, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2008

virgogirl wrote:
To sad employee: Your comment "be careful of speaking ill of the dead" --Theo should have known all along that God does not like ugly - ugly is what he was until he took his last breath and I believe this is why God gave him an illness that inflicted him with great pain. In the end though, Theo will have to make peace with his creator - he will have to answer only to him. We are all just left here on earth to shake our heads and say how could one person arrive in Erie, disrupt so many lives in so short of time and then be gone???
To the Charter School staff: Continue the mission that Mr. Wiley set forth 10 years ago. May you all find peace and harmony in the new year. Make a difference in the lives of your students and be proud to say you work at the Robert Benjamin Wiley Community Charter School.
Your comments of any negative reaction to Theo should have been told to him in life and keep all other comments to your self as the family tries to get through this time. His judgement day is coming and "judge ye not that ye be not judge"

Plymouth, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2008

Sad Employee wrote:
It's amazing that even in death people love to attack that which they cannot control. He brought accountability to the school. He had to fix 8 years of bad leadership. You are right, he could have done and sid things in a better way. But, hey, we all have a faults. He who is with out sin, throw the first stone. Regardless of how you felt about him, he is dead, may he rest in peace. be careful of speaking il of the dead. Remember that!!!!!
thanks for your comments "be careful of speaking ill of the dead" this is well written. we all have faults.

Plymouth, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2008

virgogirl wrote:
You should know that God does not like ugly or you would have kept your comments to yourself

Plymouth, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2008

sniffle wrote:
<quoted text>
thanks for your wonderful comments. Everyone has faults and God knows best and will do the rest.

Plymouth, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2008

My prayers are with the family at this time and Theo was truly a unique person and had a way to leave you thinking about him for a long time. "judge ye not that ye be not judge" His day has come and we must recognize that negative comments only make each person look closer at themselves to be a better person.
Please

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2008

Are you joking? I already talked to you on the other blog so just read that and quit being ridiculous! So he cleaned up and brought about accountability? Good job to you and Theo. Way to go giving children a turn over of three and four different teachers in one school year and we are half way through. Or do you mean the accountability like when he kept two teachers even though he knew he wanted to fire them for a very long time, till the day before Thanksgiving break and fired them so they couldn't get paid for break. Good business right? Good Godly people right? Its funny coming from a man who turned the place into a job core for people not qualified for the positions they are in. Really he couldn't let them have the holiday pay? Oh yeah and again they were not the old school employees.
Sad Employee wrote:
Please

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2008

ARE YOU PEOPLE REALLY JOKING! TRUST ME, ME AND MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY PEOPLE TOLD THE MAN. Actually it wasn't his fault all of this was happening. Its all the people that let it go on because he was "articulate". All you people trying to pretend like this blog is a bunch of scared, weak people please. I am not sure if you're from around here but if you are, you know how hard people faught to let him know, TO HIS FACE, never afraid. If you're not from around here I will give you that maybe you have a different veiw of him.
Against Negative comments wrote:
<quoted text>

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Standardized Testing Discussions

Search the Standardized Testing Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Ohio legislator says America's public education... Thu Phil 9
Substitute Teachers Are In Demand Thu Bob 15
Poor teens' health may benefit from top schools Jul 27 Phil 14
Teacher guilty of sex with student released early Jul 26 Delinquent Juvenile Willy 2
Classroom security: What you should (not) do Jul 23 Deathly Jericho Walls 4
Researchers Say Better Schools May Be Remedy fo... Jul 21 Maltamon 1
Slow Homeschooling Jul 20 CENSORED BY TENNESSEE 8
•••
•••