Black community must remember to value education, says Erika D. Smith

Jul 3, 2012 Full story: The Indianapolis Star 164

As a black woman, every once in a while I read something that makes me hang my head in shame and ball my fists in anger.

Full Story
Vance

New York, NY

#146 Jul 8, 2012
LION wrote:
TO ALL BLACKS
whites do not support black banks or black credit unions but blacks support white banks and white credit unions.
whats wrong with this picture?
So what you're advocating for is segregation.I'm all for it.

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

#147 Jul 8, 2012
Savant wrote:
<quoted text>
The better educated often do. How do we reach the MASSES? Once I had an elderly Black lady in my class. She was from the "hood" and had low income jobs. She did finish high school--eventually.
But once she got to university, and she so happened to take one of my philosophy classes, a whole new world opened up to her. I advised her also to become acquainted with Literature, theatre and other aeras of knowledge.
Now she's a big advocate of all this. "Why wasn't I exposed to this earlier?" she asked. Well, inner city schools are not designed for this purpose. Her parents had even less opportunity than she.
We must open a whole new world for the poor. Otherwise, a few lucky ones like Frederick Douglass, James Baldwin or Richard Wright or yours truly will rise above their circumstances while others sink.
And to get people to rise above their circumstances, to see beyond the limits of the boundaries imposed on them, we must agains inspire HOPE.
Nice. You only need to reach a couple who are enthusiastic and the thirst can grow exponentially.
lionanotherracis t

Georgetown, KY

#148 Jul 9, 2012
LION wrote:
TO ALL BLACKS
whites do not support black banks or black credit unions but blacks support white banks and white credit unions.
whats wrong with this picture?
i can tell you what's wrong with your post,

you're a racist, a segregationist, and a hoarde of other bad things.

i'm 50, i have had a bank account since i was 14, i have not ever once known the race of any single banker, credit union owner, or any other such thing, and i've probably had 30 different accounts in all my years, in 3 different states.

because i'm not a racist like you.

i bank where i feel the people operating it are competent, and i've switched banks before because of issues with those running one. i never have once known nor cared the race of any of them.

more racism doesn't help blacks or anyone, blacks already have too much of it with BET and other crap in America, we need LESS of it.
Gova

Eskilstuna, Sweden

#149 Jul 9, 2012
lionanotherracist wrote:
<quoted text>
i can tell you what's wrong with your post,
i'm 50, i have had a bank account since i was 14, i have not ever once known the race of any single banker, credit union owner, or any other such thing, and i've probably had 30 different accounts in all my years, in 3 different states.
i bank where i feel the people operating it are competent, and i've switched banks before because of issues with those running one. i never have once known nor cared the race of any of them.
more racism doesn't help blacks or anyone, blacks already have too much of it with BET and other crap in America, we need LESS of it.
So you would rather take whites and races' racism than try to be racially conscious and work to counter it by empowering your people? Are you white? If not at 50 years old you have no wisdom of value to pass on.
dope

Indianapolis, IN

#150 Jul 9, 2012
lionanotherracist wrote:
<quoted text>i can tell you what's wrong with your post,

It sounds more like once you rack up over draft fees, you move on.

I've had the same acct 20 plus years. There is no reason to change. I do know a lot of people who cannot keep a bank acct because they cannot keep money in there.

No good.

The hallmark of aristocracy is responsibility.

Since: Jun 08

Tulsa OK. & Lugano Switzerland

#151 Jul 9, 2012
Starlett Miller wrote:
<quoted text>
Chicago... 262 homicides THIS YEAR...
205 black
57 white
This was as of a few days ago so at least one number is a few higher by now.
Oh and HUNDREDS more shot including many children.
What a nice bunch of people.
I wouldn't care so much but way too many of my tax dollars are being spent on "wayward negroes"
It doesn't bother me. My problem right now is getting rid of fungus gnats in my planting soil.
If you want to pay less taxes lower your annual taxable income by contributing up to over $22k/yr. to your 401k..
Contribute to the Roth 401k.
Max your Roth IRA after tax and accumulate tax free.
Leave the country.
I'm doing all four.
Or put on a cape and fight crime if it bothers you so much.
Get involved in politics.
hillbilly patrol

Indianapolis, IN

#152 Jul 9, 2012
Starlett Miller wrote:
<quoted text>
Chicago... 262 homicides THIS YEAR...
205 black
57 white
This was as of a few days ago so at least one number is a few higher by now.
Oh and HUNDREDS more shot including many children.
What a nice bunch of people.
I wouldn't care so much but way too many of my tax dollars are being spent on "wayward negroes"
cant imagine why indy is seen as a backwater wide spot in the road.mabe big city folk read topix?

“I'm a proud grandma”

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#153 Jul 9, 2012
Mark Rosenkranz wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/White-Ma le-Privilege-Steven-Rosenkranz /dp/0979108934/ref=sr_1_3?s=bo oks&ie=UTF8&qid=134177 8153&sr=1-3&keywords=w hite+male+privilege+paperback need your support. There are entities that are trying to stop this book.
That looks like an interesting read. I just might put up the funds to read it. How ratings too to boot!

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

#154 Jul 9, 2012
AAMech wrote:
<quoted text>It doesn't bother me. My problem right now is getting rid of fungus gnats in my planting soil.
If you want to pay less taxes lower your annual taxable income by contributing up to over $22k/yr. to your 401k..
Leave the country.
I'm doing all four.
LOL @ put on a cape

“I'm a proud grandma”

Location hidden

#155 Jul 9, 2012
Post 153 -Should read "high ratings too, to boot!
Speedracer

Miami, FL

#156 Jul 14, 2012
AAMech wrote:
<quoted text>
I've been traveling outside of the U.S.(4 countries) since the beginning of last month. Been at Estival Jazz here in Lugano this week. Have a second home here. A lake view Italian villa I restored over ten years ago. Paid $270k...now worth around 2mil.
Paid off my condo in Tulsa last month and celebrating. There's a waiting list here in this gated area and people are paying 3 times what I paid for my place.
So I haven't destroyed any neighborhoods. I'm as angry as the next person when people don't pick up the dog poop while walking their dog like everyone else where I live.
Two homes. Two rentals.(Rome and S. Florida) Totally debt free.
And I'm black. I'm an aircraft mech/inspector with a degree in metallurgical engineering. And own/run a B&B in Switzerland. I'm retiring before I'm 55.
You've been living in the wrong places.
If you are so upset over where you live just move. Looking up crime statistics for your area and complaining will only make you feel worst.
Cool.
I want to be like you when I grow up.
Emily

Euless, TX

#157 Jul 14, 2012
AAMech wrote:
<quoted text>
It doesn't bother me. My problem right now is getting rid of fungus gnats in my planting soil.
Leave the country.
I'm doing all four.
You're that palm tree guy. Not meaning to be off topic but I have that bug problem and its killing my plants. How did you get rid of them? I remember you saying that you've gone organic a year ago and don't use pesticides.

Since: Jun 08

Tulsa OK. & Lugano Switzerland

#158 Jul 14, 2012
Emily wrote:
<quoted text>
You're that palm tree guy. Not meaning to be off topic but I have that bug problem and its killing my plants. How did you get rid of them? I remember you saying that you've gone organic a year ago and don't use pesticides.
Those gnats usually appear when overwatering. Continuous soil moisture. In my case I'm using an organic growth medium and moisture which the larvae prefers. Apparently they eaten all the fungus and began attacking the feeder roots of my ornamental sweet potato vines.(blackie)
If you are using the regular indoor potting soil allow the soil surface to dry before watering.

For an infestation like mine let the soil dry a bit. Mix about 1 part pure hydrogen peroxide with 4 parts water.Water the plants soil with this solution making sure to cover the entire top layer of the soil. This will kill the larvae. Don't worry about the fizzing. The hydrogen peroxide won't harm the plant. The H2O2 breaks down into oxygen and water molecules in a minute or two.
I use the food grade hydrogen peroxide found at the hydroponic supply and dilute it to 3%.
As an added step I applied a 1/2in. Layer of clean sterile playground sand over the top layer of soil. Those sticky whitefly traps you find at places like home depot will take care of the remaining gnats. They are attracted to the color yellow.

Seems to be working. Been a few days now. No gnats and new leaves sprouting everywhere.
England 2012

UK

#159 Jul 15, 2012
LION wrote:
BLACKS

need to be forming small investment groups and findig things to invest in.
You've found an investment opportunity. Already mate, it's called crack, if it brings the dough in do it, there's nothing wring with selling drugs, it's supply & demand, pure capitalism.so do what your good at and do it well.
England 2012

UK

#160 Jul 15, 2012
AAMech wrote:
<quoted text>Those gnats usually appear when overwatering. Continuous soil moisture. In my case I'm using an organic growth medium and moisture which the larvae prefers. Apparently they eaten all the fungus and began attacking the feeder roots of my ornamental sweet potato vines.(blackie)
If you are using the regular indoor potting soil allow the soil surface to dry before watering.

For an infestation like mine let the soil dry a bit. Mix about 1 part pure hydrogen peroxide with 4 parts water.Water the plants soil with this solution making sure to cover the entire top layer of the soil. This will kill the larvae. Don't worry about the fizzing. The hydrogen peroxide won't harm the plant. The H2O2 breaks down into oxygen and water molecules in a minute or two.
I use the food grade hydrogen peroxide found at the hydroponic supply and dilute it to 3%.
As an added step I applied a 1/2in. Layer of clean sterile playground sand over the top layer of soil. Those sticky whitefly traps you find at places like home depot will take care of the remaining gnats. They are attracted to the color yellow.

Seems to be working. Been a few days now. No gnats and new leaves sprouting everywhere.
I'm growing some papaver somniferum, opium poppys at the moment, they still have a grey look to the pods so are not ready for lancing! Do you know where I can get acetic anhydride to make my raw opium into smack? Cheers
Ole John

Indianapolis, IN

#161 Jul 15, 2012
Its a proven fact that blacks commit 50% of all VIOLENT CRIMES.

The FBI, and the BOJ, both show statistics that state Blacks account for 12, to 13% of the United States population,..yet are responciable for 50% of ALL VIOLENT CRIMES.

Now we all know that theres good and bad in every crowd,..so lets just do some rough math,...lets just say that half, of the black population are the criminals that are responciable.

Thats roughly 6.5% of the black population in the entire United States are responciable for 50% of ALL VIIOLENT CRIMES committed.

I dont like those odds,...what about you ?

“Yes WE Can! Yes we Will!”

Since: Jul 07

Baltimore, Md.

#162 Jul 15, 2012
TROLLS,TROLL TROLLS

I see that trolls have destroye4 another thread on an issue of deep concern for the national Black community. And as usual, most of those trolls are white racists.

Some old, some old.
Masud_S_Hoghughi __

Netherlands

#163 Jul 15, 2012
Savant wrote:
TROLLS,TROLL TROLLS
I see that trolls have destroye4 another thread on an issue of deep concern for the national Black community. And as usual, most of those trolls are white racists.
Some old, some old.
....we're talking about ebonics and nigonometry here - edumacating the next generation of young kneegras..........

“I'm a proud grandma”

Location hidden

#164 Jul 15, 2012
Savant wrote:
TROLLS,TROLL TROLLS
Some old, some old.
Most of the threads get co-opted by trolls. They claim they can't stand Blacks but they won't leave us alone. I notice this is especially true with White wannabes.

Anyway, in about a month or so will be my daughter's last year of high school and then she'll off to college. I have really been debating whether it is better to do two years in community college, and then transfer to university, or just go straight to 4 year university?

Can save money that way, since she won't qualify for any athletic or needs-based scholarships. I thought they had scholarships for students with good grades, but everywhere I check, it seems to be means-tested.

“Yes WE Can! Yes we Will!”

Since: Jul 07

Baltimore, Md.

#165 Jul 16, 2012
Ms Mack wrote:
<quoted text>
Most of the threads get co-opted by trolls. They claim they can't stand Blacks but they won't leave us alone. I notice this is especially true with White wannabes.
Anyway, in about a month or so will be my daughter's last year of high school and then she'll off to college. I have really been debating whether it is better to do two years in community college, and then transfer to university, or just go straight to 4 year university?
Can save money that way, since she won't qualify for any athletic or needs-based scholarships. I thought they had scholarships for students with good grades, but everywhere I check, it seems to be means-tested.
Congratulations! And best wishes for your daughter success. An intelligent, educated sister is an awesome presence. And whatever route she takes---Community college first or direct to the four year university---I hope she treats her education as more than a ticket to a great job or profession. I hope she seizes upon it for the possibilities of great intellectual and cultural development.
Again, caongrats and Best Wishes!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Standardized Testing Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Madonna condemns Kim K's Naked Butt while Teach... Nov 25 Phil 2
Amity High School To Present Play About Survivo... Nov 24 humanSpirit 1
Pittsfield schools superintendent aims to tackl... Nov 24 Praxis33 7
Principal accused of taking test for student Nov 23 Guest 3
Learning English for IELTS or TOEFL (Mar '11) Nov 20 Ted Smith 2
Hundreds of Colorado high school students refus... Nov 15 Maltamon 2
NEA president: Don't punish teachers with test ... Nov 15 Maltamon 2

Standardized Testing People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE