Black community must remember to value education, says Erika D. Smith

Jul 3, 2012 Full story: The Indianapolis Star 164

As a black woman, every once in a while I read something that makes me hang my head in shame and ball my fists in anger.

Full Story
1 n 2 n 3 n 4

Eskilstuna, Sweden

#21 Jul 4, 2012
Ms Mack wrote:
<quoted text>
As the parent of an honor roll student, I think we should encourage children to value education. I think this current hip-hop culture that doesn't value education has brainwashed the children. I know that NOI was trying to start schools for boys and cleaning up the lower class areas, but since they are not PC and are seen as anti-semitic, these attempts have been squashed.
For the boys especially, this view in society that being smart is equated with nerdiness is one cause of the decline. We have to show that studying hard leads to lots of money with good jobs, and I think if that is emphasized in this very material world we live in, folks may get with the program.
AA lack proper racial and community adhesion. You should a adopt the "it takes a village" or "all for one and one for all" principles. Every black child is your child. out there are white, asian, arabs, jews and other wolves trying to your child.
Masud_S_Hoghughi __

Netherlands

#22 Jul 4, 2012
dragonpat wrote:
im sick and tired of hearing about the underachievement of our children in to many major cities. been hearing about this same complaint for years and am just wondering why we as a people have not gotten ahold of this problem by now.
....the problem is a genetically low kneegroid average IQ........

.....this can't be solved by throwing money at the problem.....

.......the only way out of this quandry for the kneegrow is to interbreed with other races to raise their IQ level - but unfortunately for the negrow most people of other races find c**nz sexually repulsive........
England 2012

London, UK

#23 Jul 4, 2012
The above Poster, this James kid 12 fool is all the explanation that is needed as to why black boys are loosers in life. They are the reason the negro in America is below the stray dog on the social scale, fully grown Negro males are like children. They dress like children, talk like children & are going nowhere but extinct. The prison system can only keep so many off the streets & the only way the black race can improve in America is for decent black women to keep doing all they can to find a good white man. The Negro male is finished in America & all straight thinking black women know this. Find yourselves a white man and let the bucks die out.

“Yes WE Can! Yes we Will!”

Since: Jul 07

Baltimore, Md.

#24 Jul 4, 2012
Ms Mack wrote:
<quoted text>
Great post. I talk to young people and especially the young men, and I tell the ones that didn't have their fathers growing up, to make sure they stay in their own children's lives. They know how it feels to not have that relationship, and they should not put another child thru that.
The last 40 years has done a number on the community. We had the drugs flood the community that were brought in by the CIA, and folks started being flashy and glorifying lifestyles that used to be frowned upon. And then gutter rap sealed the fate of a large portion of the young people.
Black philosopher John McClendon suggested to me in a conversation that much of the chaos flows from the suppression of movements and leadership of the 1960s. Notice how articulate the Black leaders of that time were, whether university educated like Dr. King, Angela Davis and & Kwame Ture (Stokely Carmichael), or self-educated like Malcolm X. And people like these were popular heroes and heroines--the role models of the time. Many of these movements had a clearly intellectual agenda--education for liberation. SNCC starts freedom schools in the deep South. The Black Panther Party sets up schools as well as clinics and breakfast programs. Intellectual self-development and service to others, rather anti-intellectualism and consumerist greed and narcissism, were the prevailing values.
Once these people and/or their movements were gone (partly due to COINTELPRO suppression) the pimps, gangsters and entertainers become the role models. Some things I heard Kathleen Cleaver read from FBI documents suggested that they PLANNED to change who the role models would be--entertainers, not reoformers, revolutionaries and insurgent thinkers. Consumerism and greed, anti-intellectualism and bemusement by celebrities, promote stupidity. And stupified people ae easier to control. They do not fight injustice but injure each other and destroy themselves.
We need intellectually engaged and socially conscious folk to revive or create similar initiatives, efforts similar to those of more socially conscios times for our contemporary commuities, especially our impoverished communities.
The ALGEBRA PROJECT, founded by former SNCC leader Bob Moses, may be one such initiative worth exploring and supporting.

“I'm a proud grandma”

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#26 Jul 4, 2012
1 n 2 n 3 n 4 wrote:
<quoted text>
AA lack proper racial and community adhesion. You should a adopt the "it takes a village" or "all for one and one for all" principles. Every black child is your child. out there are white, asian, arabs, jews and other wolves trying to your child.
I think it is going back to that village, given the current state of affairs.
HOW

Indianapolis, IN

#27 Jul 4, 2012
How is it possible that I grew up in an impoverished family, mom and dad have been married for 65 years, we went to church, no premature deaths, no drug use, every single one completed high school and are gainfully employed and 2 have spent 2 nights in jail for not paying traffic tickets. OUT of 2 parents and 8 kids!!! No one ever took welfare and we grew a garden EVERY year! We are ALL 36 or older! And grew up very poor. If my family can do it so can everyone else. The black community just makes countless excuses and lives for the immediate.
England 2012

UK

#28 Jul 4, 2012
Savant wrote:
<quoted text>Black philosopher John McClendon suggested to me in a conversation that much of the chaos flows from the suppression of movements and leadership of the 1960s. Notice how articulate the Black leaders of that time were, whether university educated like Dr. King, Angela Davis and & Kwame Ture (Stokely Carmichael), or self-educated like Malcolm X. And people like these were popular heroes and heroines--the role models of the time. Many of these movements had a clearly intellectual agenda--education for liberation. SNCC starts freedom schools in the deep South. The Black Panther Party sets up schools as well as clinics and breakfast programs. Intellectual self-development and service to others, rather anti-intellectualism and consumerist greed and narcissism, were the prevailing values.
Once these people and/or their movements were gone (partly due to COINTELPRO suppression) the pimps, gangsters and entertainers become the role models. Some things I heard Kathleen Cleaver read from FBI documents suggested that they PLANNED to change who the role models would be--entertainers, not reoformers, revolutionaries and insurgent thinkers. Consumerism and greed, anti-intellectualism and bemusement by celebrities, promote stupidity. And stupified people ae easier to control. They do not fight injustice but injure each other and destroy themselves.
We need intellectually engaged and socially conscious folk to revive or create similar initiatives, efforts similar to those of more socially conscios times for our contemporary commuities, especially our impoverished communities.
The ALGEBRA PROJECT, founded by former SNCC leader Bob Moses, may be one such initiative worth exploring and supporting.
That's the way mate, black men fail in education. Blame the FBI & the White man. It's nothing to do with the AWOL black fathers or ghetto rap! Black men are the worst enemy the African American community have, you keep on blaming whites & you'll keep on failing.

Baltimore, Md.

#29 Jul 4, 2012
England 2012 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's the way mate, black men fail in education. Blame the FBI & the White man. It's nothing to do with the AWOL black fathers or ghetto rap! Black men are the worst enemy the African American community have, you keep on blaming whites & you'll keep on failing.
Well, it's too bad if that's how you reading my analysis. I'm sorry that you're unwilling or unable to understand or engage in a nuanced analysis of social reality. It's sad that you reduce everything to childish oversimplications.
Indeed, your reply reveals precisely the decline of education, the dumbing down of the culture which I (and a couple of others) have been discussing and trying to come to grips.

Since: May 08

Pacific Northwest

#30 Jul 4, 2012
Savant wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, it's too bad if that's how you reading my analysis. I'm sorry that you're unwilling or unable to understand or engage in a nuanced analysis of social reality. It's sad that you reduce everything to childish oversimplications.
Indeed, your reply reveals precisely the decline of education, the dumbing down of the culture which I (and a couple of others) have been discussing and trying to come to grips.
He is but another troll to be avoided and ignored, brother.

“Obsidian Princess”

Since: Sep 09

louisiana

#31 Jul 4, 2012
seriously, i think our children have a deep seated problem with the way the school system and curriculum is set up and just not able to articulate that.

i do know that schools in detroit have a nasty habit of changing teachers, principals, etc.. on the regular creating an unstable enviornment.

teachers don't even expect the children to learn in a lot of cases.

there are just too many distractions for our children in these public and private, chartered schools.

its time to take the education of our children in our hands, entirely. blk american muslims and some other conscious blk folk have been doing this and the children are graduating high school and attending college at 100%.

“Obsidian Princess”

louisiana

#32 Jul 4, 2012
1 n 2 n 3 n 4 wrote:
<quoted text>
i agree with this. our children are not protected by us like they should be and the over sexed,wayward, wild, confused and rebellious children of today are a result.

“Obsidian Princess”

louisiana

#33 Jul 4, 2012
Savant wrote:
<quoted text>
Black philosopher John McClendon suggested to me in a conversation that much of the chaos flows from the suppression of movements and leadership of the 1960s. Notice how articulate the Black leaders of that time were, whether university educated like Dr. King, Angela Davis and & Kwame Ture (Stokely Carmichael), or self-educated like Malcolm X. And people like these were popular heroes and heroines--the role models of the time. Many of these movements had a clearly intellectual agenda--education for liberation. SNCC starts freedom schools in the deep South. The Black Panther Party sets up schools as well as clinics and breakfast programs. Intellectual self-development and service to others, rather anti-intellectualism and consumerist greed and narcissism, were the prevailing values.
excellent analysis.

if our people don't realize that it has been and is a concerted effort on the part of outside forces to dumb us down and keep us this way then we will be in this position for a long time to come.

did you know that our children have a greater intellectual capacity then their peers? but by the time the reach the 7th grade they not living up to that capacity. something is wrong with this picture. i don't think they are being challenged (especially the boys) and stimulated to reach their greatest capacities in these public schools ran by people who do not look like us nor share the same values and goals that we have for our children.

it is past time for our people as a whole to become what our leaders in the past were and that is pro-active and involved in community affairs that involve blk american people on every level.

and we need to get rid of tvs and stop buying this modern day music for our children!! if i had a child they would only be allowed to listen to the music i grew up listening to and the music before then.
yes

Indianapolis, IN

#34 Jul 4, 2012
dragonpat wrote:
<quoted text>excellent analysis.

if our people don't realize that it has been and is a concerted effort on the part of outside forces to dumb us down and keep us this way then we will be in this position for a long time to come.

did you know that our children have a greater intellectual capacity then their peers? but by the time the reach the 7th grade they not living up to that capacity. something is wrong with this picture. i don't think they are being challenged (especially the boys) and stimulated to reach their greatest capacities in these public schools ran by people who do not look like us nor share the same values and goals that we have for our children.

it is past time for our people as a whole to become what our leaders in the past were and that is pro-active and involved in community affairs that involve blk american people on every level.

and we need to get rid of tvs and stop buying this modern day music for our children!! if i had a child they would only be allowed to listen to the music i grew up listening to and the music before then.
How on earth is the white man keeping you down in this situation??? Did the white man force this crack ho to rob a long John silvers, break her probation, get sent back to prison, get released and then 24 hours later get herself killed in a gang related incident????

Cant wait to hear this explanation.

You are only dumb because you stay in your dump communities and do nothing to educate yourself or clean up those neighborhoods.

No one can give you common sense.
yes

Indianapolis, IN

#35 Jul 4, 2012
dragonpat wrote:
seriously, i think our children have a deep seated problem with the way the school system and curriculum is set up and just not able to articulate that.

i do know that schools in detroit have a nasty habit of changing teachers, principals, etc.. on the regular creating an unstable enviornment.

teachers don't even expect the children to learn in a lot of cases.

there are just too many distractions for our children in these public and private, chartered schools.

its time to take the education of our children in our hands, entirely. blk american muslims and some other conscious blk folk have been doing this and the children are graduating high school and attending college at 100%.
Deep-seeded problem? Yes they do. Most of your children do not know who their fathers are and if known do not participate in upbringing. Teach your people the need for 2 parent households and keep mom off welfare and crack. That's a start.

Baltimore, Md.

#36 Jul 4, 2012
Harrisson wrote:
<quoted text>
He is but another troll to be avoided and ignored, brother.
I agree.
Vance

New York, NY

#37 Jul 5, 2012
dragonpat wrote:
<quoted text>
these public schools ran by people who do not look like us nor share the same values and goals that we have for our children.
In other words, blacks are just racist.If you're incapable of learning because someone doesn't look like you, then you're racist.It's funny that this isn't a problem for any other group except blacks.Every other group does well regardless of a teachers race.If blacks need to be taught by a black teacher in a school where only blacks are employed,that just means blacks are more racist then any white person could ever be.

“Obsidian Princess”

louisiana

#38 Jul 5, 2012
Vance wrote:
<quoted text>
In other words, blacks are just racist.If you're incapable of learning because someone doesn't look like you, then you're racist.It's funny that this isn't a problem for any other group except blacks.Every other group does well regardless of a teachers race.If blacks need to be taught by a black teacher in a school where only blacks are employed,that just means blacks are more racist then any white person could ever be.
i guess a fool that lacks historical knowledge and also knowledge of social conditioning would write something like what you just posted.

you don't know what you are talking about you cretinous brute.
triose

Mooresville, IN

#39 Jul 5, 2012
There is a very simple answer: Act like "people" and we will treat you like people. Act like animals, and we will treat you like animals. This is for all RACES.

“Obsidian Princess”

louisiana

#40 Jul 5, 2012
triose wrote:
There is a very simple answer: Act like "people" and we will treat you like people. Act like animals, and we will treat you like animals. This is for all RACES.
be carefull what you wish for. your people will be treated like animals because that is all you have ever betrayed yourselves as.

our ancestor and nationalist, REV. DAVID WALKER said you act more like devils then men.

you beast.
triose

Mooresville, IN

#41 Jul 5, 2012
dragonpat wrote:
<quoted text>
be carefull what you wish for. your people will be treated like animals because that is all you have ever betrayed yourselves as.
our ancestor and nationalist, REV. DAVID WALKER said you act more like devils then men.
you beast.
whatever.....how about your ancestors that sold their own people into slavery ....oh that's right, it was Bushes fault.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Standardized Testing Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Opt-out: Parents push back against kids' many s... Mar 1 NoneOfTheAbove 1
PARCC tests - NJ parents, students worry about ... Mar 1 NoneOfTheAbove 1
Carlsbad students protest PARCC test Mar 1 LOL 1
Knox Grammar School advised to destroy document... Mar 1 Maltamon Montreal PD 1
What Feltonville taught Philly about Opt Out Mar 1 Maltamon Montreal PD 2
Long Beach Unified School District to host firs... Feb 26 Ronald 2
Teachers Group Wants End To Major Standardized ... Feb 24 rmagnano 1
More from around the web