Black community must remember to value education, says Erika D. Smith

Jul 3, 2012 Full story: The Indianapolis Star 164

As a black woman, every once in a while I read something that makes me hang my head in shame and ball my fists in anger.

Full Story
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

“Obsidian Princess”

Since: Sep 09

louisiana

#1 Jul 3, 2012
im sick and tired of hearing about the underachievement of our children in to many major cities. been hearing about this same complaint for years and am just wondering why we as a people have not gotten ahold of this problem by now.
Whitey

Louisville, KY

#2 Jul 3, 2012
dragonpat wrote:
im sick and tired of hearing about the underachievement of our children in to many major cities. been hearing about this same complaint for years and am just wondering why we as a people have not gotten ahold of this problem by now.
Blacks don't belong in CIVILIZATION! This is not their habitat, they can not be like us why does the government keep hiding the facts that we cannot co exist? That's the real problem. You people need an one way ticket.

Since: Apr 12

Ankeny, IA

#3 Jul 3, 2012
We jus needs to keeps it REAL! Edumacation beez fo honkys.
bah

Indianapolis, IN

#4 Jul 3, 2012
Blacks care nothing about eduction. They care about welfare, food stamps, section 8, crack, white castle, and malt liquor. And hanging out on street corners all hours of the day and night committing various crimes. This is why whites care nothing about blacks. They do not participate in society, they leach from it. Let the kill each other.

“I'm a proud grandma”

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#5 Jul 3, 2012
dragonpat wrote:
As the parent of an honor roll student, I think we should encourage children to value education. I think this current hip-hop culture that doesn't value education has brainwashed the children. I know that NOI was trying to start schools for boys and cleaning up the lower class areas, but since they are not PC and are seen as anti-semitic, these attempts have been squashed.

For the boys especially, this view in society that being smart is equated with nerdiness is one cause of the decline. We have to show that studying hard leads to lots of money with good jobs, and I think if that is emphasized in this very material world we live in, folks may get with the program.
Whitey

Louisville, KY

#6 Jul 3, 2012
Ms Mack wrote:
<quoted text>
As the parent of an honor roll student, I think we should encourage children to value education. I think this current hip-hop culture that doesn't value education has brainwashed the children. I know that NOI was trying to start schools for boys and cleaning up the lower class areas, but since they are not PC and are seen as anti-semitic, these attempts have been squashed.
For the boys especially, this view in society that being smart is equated with nerdiness is one cause of the decline. We have to show that studying hard leads to lots of money with good jobs, and I think if that is emphasized in this very material world we live in, folks may get with the program.
LOL AN "HONOR ROLL" STUDENT?

Being a honor roll student is nothing to be proud of. Honor roll is so easy these days and if you live in a primarily black neighborhood the education standards are probably a lot lowered. If you want to be proud of your young buck you and him should fly to Africa to help with it since you and your young buck are so smart.

“...and I'll axe you back.”

Since: May 12

Indianapolis, IN

#7 Jul 3, 2012
Whitey wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL AN "HONOR ROLL" STUDENT?
Being a honor roll student is nothing to be proud of. Honor roll is so easy these days and if you live in a primarily black neighborhood the education standards are probably a lot lowered. If you want to be proud of your young buck you and him should fly to Africa to help with it since you and your young buck are so smart.
If we lower standards enough, negroes will THINK they're equal, and maybe they'll stop murdering, raping and robbing everything in sight.

Well, this was the liberal hope at least.

How do you think that's working out? Hope and changes seems about 40 years overdue.
Lon

Indianapolis, IN

#8 Jul 3, 2012
"I was just feeling like my life was over," said Draughon, a few years ago, before she spent her first day in the morgue today.

“...and I'll axe you back.”

Indianapolis, IN

#9 Jul 3, 2012
dragonpat wrote:
Have you considered the REAL problem?

http://www.topix.com/forum/afam/T98S6TUTOIM0U...

"Incapable" ... that's the problem.

Durham, NC

#10 Jul 3, 2012
People do need to value education more. I love it. The life of the mind is just so much richer.
Whitey

Louisville, KY

#11 Jul 3, 2012
-Axe-Me-Anything- wrote:
<quoted text>
If we lower standards enough, negroes will THINK they're equal, and maybe they'll stop murdering, raping and robbing everything in sight.
Well, this was the liberal hope at least.
How do you think that's working out? Hope and changes seems about 40 years overdue.
It's genetics.

Simple.

We can't keep lying to ourselves about WE ALL being equal when the statistics prove otherwise.

Blacks think that they're higher than everyone else but they have no purpose here and sadly, the media hides that.:/

Durham, NC

#12 Jul 3, 2012
Whitey wrote:
<quoted text>
It's genetics.
Simple.
We can't keep lying to ourselves about WE ALL being equal when the statistics prove otherwise.
Blacks think that they're higher than everyone else but they have no purpose here and sadly, the media hides that.:/
I don't think I'm better than anyone. Education is important for everyone.
Whitey

Louisville, KY

#13 Jul 3, 2012
MissElizabethW wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think I'm better than anyone. Education is important for everyone.
I don't necessarily mean all bucks, but 99.4% of them. I think blacks' problems is genetics and not social construct. I've met a few respectable bucks a few times but deep down inside they are like all blacks and shall not be trusted.

Durham, NC

#14 Jul 3, 2012
Whitey wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't necessarily mean all bucks, but 99.4% of them. I think blacks' problems is genetics and not social construct. I've met a few respectable bucks a few times but deep down inside they are like all blacks and shall not be trusted.
Not everyone is equally intelligent. Still, I think a basic education is good for everyone and I think everyone can work, even if it's just simple, manual labor. It used to be the expectation that everyone earn his own way.

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

#15 Jul 3, 2012
dragonpat wrote:
Folks, ignore the trolls and carry on the conversation as if they aren't posting. Don't respond to them.

The problem of poor educational achievement can been traced to several factors, in my opinion: 1) priorities have become skewed in the last 40 years or so. There was a time when academic achievement was celebrated and clamored for throughout the black community. Now, it is viewed as "selling out". The studious kids are ridiculed. Too many kids aspire to be entertainers and pro athletes rather than teachers and engineers. In the process, they leave their gray matter to the side; 2) Having too many babies too young. How can you see to the academic achievement of your children if you're having kids before you finish school yourself. The problem is compounded when you have multiple child. In this situation, the parent (usually mom) is saddled with trying to find a way to keep the kids fed, clothed and housed. How then can you expect to adequately support the academic progress of your children if you're distracted to such an extent? 3) lastly are resources. There are not enough in some instances but this comes with a large caveat: the resources that are available often are not efficiently utilized due to the above two factors.

I'm sure there are other factors but these are the big ones that I see. Identifying the problem is relatively easy but fixing it is considerably harder. A way must be found to strengthen families. I'm not saying everyone has to be married but both parents must be INVOLVED and INVESTED in their children's upbringing in order to stop this slide that we see.

“Yes WE Can! Yes we Will!”

Since: Jul 07

Baltimore, Md.

#16 Jul 3, 2012
MissElizabethW wrote:
<quoted text>
Not everyone is equally intelligent. Still, I think a basic education is good for everyone and I think everyone can work, even if it's just simple, manual labor. It used to be the expectation that everyone earn his own way.
Arguing with these white racists is a waste of time. The matter of education is serious, and we ought not be distracted by these trolling fools.

Now I would suggest that most Blacks, like most Americans, tend to value education for its pecuniary benefits (real or imagined), and not mainly for it potentiality for human self-development I guess that is undeerstandable, and I know that I personally would probably still be trapped in the hellish circle of poverty were it not for my education.
But I fear that if one values education only for its material rewards, and if those rewards are (or seem to be) disappearing or diminishing, then one has little motive to pursue education. For we cannot see its intrinsic worth.
We need to stress both the economic benefits, and well as the human cultural and spiritual benefits of education.
We must emphasize in education the full self-development of the human person. And that humanistic emphasis must be part of the design of education as well.
The devaluation of education, and the dumbing down of education, serves the interests of an unjust status quo, not the interests of the common people.
Anti-intellectualism is an enemy of freedom.

“I'm a proud grandma”

Location hidden

#17 Jul 3, 2012
DerekJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Folks, ignore the trolls and carry on the conversation as if they aren't posting. Don't respond to them.
The problem of poor educational achievement can been traced to several factors, in my opinion: 1) priorities have become skewed in the last 40 years or so. There was a time when academic achievement was celebrated and clamored for throughout the black community. Now, it is viewed as "selling out". The studious kids are ridiculed. Too many kids aspire to be entertainers and pro athletes rather than teachers and engineers. In the process, they leave their gray matter to the side; 2) Having too many babies too young. How can you see to the academic achievement of your children if you're having kids before you finish school yourself. The problem is compounded when you have multiple child. In this situation, the parent (usually mom) is saddled with trying to find a way to keep the kids fed, clothed and housed. How then can you expect to adequately support the academic progress of your children if you're distracted to such an extent? 3) lastly are resources. There are not enough in some instances but this comes with a large caveat: the resources that are available often are not efficiently utilized due to the above two factors.
I'm sure there are other factors but these are the big ones that I see. Identifying the problem is relatively easy but fixing it is considerably harder. A way must be found to strengthen families. I'm not saying everyone has to be married but both parents must be INVOLVED and INVESTED in their children's upbringing in order to stop this slide that we see.
Great post. I talk to young people and especially the young men, and I tell the ones that didn't have their fathers growing up, to make sure they stay in their own children's lives. They know how it feels to not have that relationship, and they should not put another child thru that.

The last 40 years has done a number on the community. We had the drugs flood the community that were brought in by the CIA, and folks started being flashy and glorifying lifestyles that used to be frowned upon. And then gutter rap sealed the fate of a large portion of the young people.

Since: Jun 12

Houston, TX

#18 Jul 3, 2012
So it's the black man fault for not being in the kid life? you dumb bitches need to stop worrying about us and take care of your kids. I see a lot black women who are crack and taking care of their kids so stfu ok.

“I'm a proud grandma”

Location hidden

#19 Jul 3, 2012
jamesdakid12 wrote:
So it's the black man fault for not being in the kid life? you dumb bitches need to stop worrying about us and take care of your kids. I see a lot black women who are crack and taking care of their kids so stfu ok.
That's all you got out of this? Black people have to worry about Black men and Black boys if we want to uplift the community, since kids are falling behind because they are caught up in other things besides becoming educated.

Since: Jun 12

Houston, TX

#20 Jul 3, 2012
bah wrote:
Blacks care nothing about eduction. They care about welfare, food stamps, section 8, crack, white castle, and malt liquor. And hanging out on street corners all hours of the day and night committing various crimes. This is why whites care nothing about blacks. They do not participate in society, they leach from it. Let the kill each other.
Shut yo ugly arab azz up. All of you arabs are musty and dirty. you are talking about us being poor or whatever but u dirty arabs want our money! You deal with us in our communities so stfu. shouldn't your terrorist ass be on a train bombing yourself. u fukin muslim. go back to your country where u are doing Female circumcision. Abdul

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Standardized Testing Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Data link poverty, school performance in Ohio Oct 17 dJw 16
NEA president: Don't punish teachers with test ... Oct 17 dJw 1
Trial ordered in Philly school cheating probe Oct 17 dJw 57
Knox parents promise fight over decision to end... (Jan '10) Oct 15 bella 928
Municipal Election 2014: The School Trustees Oct 10 no North Halton d... 1
Maplewood tops in school report cards Sep 25 WPB 1
Student Sues Over SAT Error (Apr '06) Sep '14 MaltaMon 5

Standardized Testing People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE