Future of Stet R-XV School uncertain

Future of Stet R-XV School uncertain

There are 54 comments on the Richmond Daily News story from Oct 9, 2009, titled Future of Stet R-XV School uncertain. In it, Richmond Daily News reports that:

The letter to business partners and school patrons started: 'Not Without a CARDINAL Fight!' as it addressed the 'rumors regarding the supposed closing of the Stet R-SV School District.' However, Stet Superintendent and Principal Thomas Challender didn't sugar coat the situation either.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Richmond Daily News.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Harold Hill

Kelseyville, CA

#41 Oct 9, 2011
Harold Hill: A man can't turn tail and run just because a little personal risk is involved. What did Shakespeare say? "Cowards die a thousand deaths, the brave man... only 500"?
mee

Cowgill, MO

#42 Oct 16, 2011
wow! ok!!! i guess i don't know how to write then! maybe its because its called slang! but you are probably 100000 years old and dont know what that is! if you have a problem deal with it your self! im so tired of people judging stet! plz get real! thnxx!
who cares

Norborne, MO

#43 Nov 7, 2011
mee wrote:
wow! ok!!! i guess i don't know how to write then! maybe its because its called slang! but you are probably 100000 years old and dont know what that is! if you have a problem deal with it your self! im so tired of people judging stet! plz get real! thnxx!
OMG!!! Slang?? I think someone was saying by "polish" was meaning towards your choice of words!! If students that attend Stet act that way I do not want my children learning bad habits and being rude!! kk!!
Anonymous

Bogard, MO

#44 Nov 17, 2011
Please just close down the school. The students are getting cheated out of a real education! The student deserve better! "a better school" "a real school" "a school that people know exist!" The school is just sucking all the money out of the tax payers! And they still struggle to keep the school open. I'm stunned that the school is still alive! I thought it was gonna close down years ago! I think the idea of making the school into a Charter school is just crazy. Please do the world a favor & close it DOWN!!!!!!
in the know

Kelseyville, CA

#45 Nov 18, 2011
Sorry, just what is your definition of 'real'? There is more 'real' at Stet than at larger schools, maybe because people can't hide behind a facade...

BTW, it is interesting that you say 'the school is still alive'...Stet WILL live on...

It is a shame that the charter option hadn't been pursued earlier....It is a shame that the fiscal picture weren't so bleak...it is a shame that the BOE didn't discuss/consider trying to keep the elementary open...
Anonymous wrote:
Please just close down the school. The students are getting cheated out of a real education! The student deserve better! "a better school" "a real school" "a school that people know exist!" The school is just sucking all the money out of the tax payers! And they still struggle to keep the school open. I'm stunned that the school is still alive! I thought it was gonna close down years ago! I think the idea of making the school into a Charter school is just crazy. Please do the world a favor & close it DOWN!!!!!!
news about school closing

Norborne, MO

#46 Nov 18, 2011
in the know wrote:
Sorry, just what is your definition of 'real'? There is more 'real' at Stet than at larger schools, maybe because people can't hide behind a facade...
BTW, it is interesting that you say 'the school is still alive'...Stet WILL live on...
It is a shame that the charter option hadn't been pursued earlier....It is a shame that the fiscal picture weren't so bleak...it is a shame that the BOE didn't discuss/consider trying to keep the elementary open...
<quoted text>
folks, check out the paper or kmzu.com ...2012 will be the last senior class for Stet. The board is pursuing different avenues by checking with neighboring districts about consolidation. Considering that would raise their taxes not sure why they would consider it but that will be decided by the voters.
news about school closing

Norborne, MO

#47 Nov 18, 2011
it is a shame that the BOE didn't discuss/consider trying to keep the elementary open...

The elementary is where the enrollment is falling the fastest...there are only 8 or 9 students in grades K-2. Unfortunately you can't run a school with those numbers and projections for the future classes of 1 or 2.
Anonymous

Bogard, MO

#48 Nov 18, 2011
By the way I'm wondering, how many students are at Stet right now anyway? Anybody know?
news about Stet

Norborne, MO

#49 Nov 19, 2011
Anonymous wrote:
By the way I'm wondering, how many students are at Stet right now anyway? Anybody know?
62 or 63 but not all of them are in-district children. Some come with parents that are teachers and others come in some other way.
Anonymous

Bogard, MO

#50 Nov 19, 2011
news about Stet wrote:
<quoted text>
62 or 63 but not all of them are in-district children. Some come with parents that are teachers and others come in some other way.
Thanks!
Small Town Girl

Cowgill, MO

#51 Nov 27, 2011
I went to Cowgill school and Im damn proud of having go to a small school! Not having many kids in my class gave me more one on one opportunities with my teachers! And we were some of the closets people you'll ever meet. If I had been given the opportunity to go to a bigger school I would have said no thank you. I didn't get lost in the crowd of kids. So I say Stet needs to fight with everything they have to keep that school open!!! Good luck Cardinals!!!
Cardinal Pride

Norborne, MO

#52 Nov 30, 2011
Small Town Girl wrote:
I went to Cowgill school and Im damn proud of having go to a small school! Not having many kids in my class gave me more one on one opportunities with my teachers! And we were some of the closets people you'll ever meet. If I had been given the opportunity to go to a bigger school I would have said no thank you. I didn't get lost in the crowd of kids. So I say Stet needs to fight with everything they have to keep that school open!!! Good luck Cardinals!!!
Yes we are very fortunate to graduate from small schools like Stet and Cowgill!! Stet school will be missed and the kids will definatly survive and carry on the STET legacy!!! Everyone should be so proud to graduate from a school such as Stet!
Anonymous

Bogard, MO

#53 Nov 30, 2011
Why Stet? Whats so amazing about it? Shut it down & let the students go to a real school.
Ashley

United States

#54 Apr 25, 2012
I would like to say, I am proud to graduate from Stet. People have opinions, but people who have not been there during the school day have no idea what you talking about. I want you to wear the sheos and be in our postion. By the way to whomever said that high school students were sent to convince people to vote, it was my choice. That is one of the most hurtful things I have felt. I was not 18 and it I was getting ready to go into my senior. If the school closed when I was junior, I would have NEVER recieved my diploma. I am in college with A's, and B's. My aunt ( who graduate from Stet) had Dr. Degree. Whomever said something about sex offender, at least we can control our students and not have people molesate each other at school! I went through a really rough times in my short life time and I needed people there! If you do not like Stet, then do not worry about. If you do not understand why it wants to stay open, ask, don't assume. NOT a single person will understand what our community is going through,unless you have been there. By the looks, you haven't.If you do not want to send your children there, then do not, but do not speak your mind about the your percieve our students to be. Because the last time Stet had a fight, I was in the 8th grade.I am not very smart and they helped me reach my FULL potential!
Cardinal PRIDE forever and ALWAYS

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Standardized Testing Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News What's the solution to student underachievement... May 9 Maltamon 1
News Which tests should students should have to pass... May 6 Phil 1
News 5 things in the Tennessee General Assembly May 4 Waynes Nude Cheeks 3
News 'Pro-Islam' textbook stirs debate in Brevard - ... May 1 Wehrmacht Not Cool 31
News Giving parents a voice in education Apr 25 Maltamon 1
News 3 Philadelphia Principals Fired In Test Cheatin... (Jan '14) Apr '17 Want No Contact 3
News Will the LSAT one day be digital? Apr '17 Maltamon 1
More from around the web