I've never met a dumb home-schooled kid

Full story: Las Cruces Sun-News

Just my luck, I missed out on two of the greatest concepts in education: the one-room schoolhouse and home schooling.
Comments
1 - 20 of 103 Comments Last updated Feb 20, 2013
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Agreed

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Apr 10, 2011
 

Judged:

4

4

3

I left the failing public education system after 6 years as a teacher because of the lack of support and the lack of accountability. Mr. Pitts, you would not believe what people posing as teachers get away with. It's no longer about learning, its all about accepting.
KokopelliMOM

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Apr 10, 2011
 

Judged:

4

3

2

I love this article. I home school 3 of my 4 children. I'm afraid to comment much, because "outsiders" like to pick apart the grammer of a home school teacher.:D
My oldest went to public school for 4 yrs, and my second oldest for 2 yrs. In that time, teachers had torn apart my oldest's self esteem and he no longer enjoyed learning as he was convinced he was "dumb." I pulled my second child out along with the first to keep the same thing from happening to him. It wasn't until I started teaching him that I found out, at 7 yrs old, he couldn't read, write, or do simple math. I'm happy to say, both are doing great now and have grown back that love of learning. I started teaching my daughter this year, who began Kindergarten. At 5 yrs old she already knew everything that he brothers were being taught at her age in the LCPS system. She's finishing Kinder now and already reads alone, has great spelling, has beautiful handwritting, and adds large numbers. Better than all of that, she has a "can do" attitude because she knows nothing she wants to learn is out of reach.
KokopelliMOM

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Apr 10, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

I also have to say this in defense of PS teachers. There are good teachers and bad teachers, and teachers are limited by the budget of the schools and districts they are in. I came across a small handful of good teachers, but even contact with one or two bad teachers is enough to rot a child's educational experience. I wasn't willing to take the gamble anymore.
littleone

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Apr 10, 2011
 

Judged:

4

1

KokopelliMOM wrote:
I also have to say this in defense of PS teachers. There are good teachers and bad teachers, and teachers are limited by the budget of the schools and districts they are in. I came across a small handful of good teachers, but even contact with one or two bad teachers is enough to rot a child's educational experience. I wasn't willing to take the gamble anymore.
Look up what the buget of a one room school house was and what the average home schoolers buget it then add up what the public school system waists. See where the real problem is.
KokopelliMOM

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Apr 10, 2011
 

Judged:

3

littleone wrote:
<quoted text>
Look up what the buget of a one room school house was and what the average home schoolers buget it then add up what the public school system waists. See where the real problem is.
True. Let's say this, teachers now are limited by what they are permitted to teach. School isn't as fun for many of them either, just a means to their paycheck. As it was for the couple/few teachers that tore down my son.
Esther Zertuche

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Apr 10, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

I want to home school my kids to if somebody can guide me please this is my e- mail address zfajardo@ nmsu.edu thank you.
Desertdawg

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Apr 10, 2011
 

Judged:

4

4

3

It's not all success with home schooling. A good friend of mine, a teacher for 26 years, keeps herself as busy as she cares to be tutoring home schooled kids who enter public school, getting them up to speed after years of caretaker parents not teaching what the kids need to learn
Nicole

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Apr 10, 2011
 

Judged:

3

1

1

Public school isn't equipped for a balance between the kids who need advanced instuction and the slower learners who need more help. All kids learn by different senses (visual, hearing, participation or a combination). Home schooling can be tailored to individual students needs with far less distractions and more time for lessons. The need for socialization is more difficult to address in a home setting.
Nyla

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Apr 10, 2011
 

Judged:

6

2

2

I do not agree with this.
Lazy people sux

Peoria, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Apr 10, 2011
 

Judged:

12

10

9

They may be smarter but they have no social skills and usually are behavior problems. They are some huge chichi babies!
Meh-

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Apr 11, 2011
 

Judged:

4

3

3

Lazy people sux wrote:
They may be smarter but they have no social skills and usually are behavior problems. They are some huge chichi babies!
I beg to differ, yet I guess I can see where such an assumption comes from. I've been home schooled for about 5-6 years, and I have wonderful social skills and a good head on my shoulders. I'm also very independent, but I can see why you say what you said in a way, because 75% of other homeschoolers I've met I can't connect with at all. I don't get along with them, they're far too closed minded for me, or just too immature. However, you can't just toss that cliche on everyone that home educates.
EASY

Woodridge, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Apr 11, 2011
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Lazy people sux wrote:
They may be smarter but they have no social skills and usually are behavior problems. They are some huge chichi babies!
spew
just me

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Apr 11, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

My daughter went to school in a LCPS school for her first year and we found a great teacher that year. However before she was placed in the next grade, we knew the options were not good, and we were able to put her into a private school in LC. We are out of state now, and she is in a charter school where she has the best teachers yet, but I had to comment because I do have first-hand knowledge that there ARE a few great teachers in LCPS.
Snap

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Apr 11, 2011
 

Judged:

3

2

2

I've never met an uninformed columnist. You should go into the schools and see what is being taught before you write a piece like this. Once the parents and students are made accountable,then things will change.
Bristol

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Apr 11, 2011
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Michele Bachmann home schooled all of her children and her 23 foster children. In her speech in New Hampshire where she praised the state for being the first in revolution: "What I love about New Hampshire and what we have in common is our extreme love for liberty. You're the state where the shot was heard around the world in Lexington and Concord."

With Bachmann for their teacher, her home schooled students must have bombed geography and history on the college boards.
crazy

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Apr 11, 2011
 

Judged:

4

4

3

Meh- wrote:
<quoted text>
I beg to differ, yet I guess I can see where such an assumption comes from. I've been home schooled for about 5-6 years, and I have wonderful social skills and a good head on my shoulders. I'm also very independent, but I can see why you say what you said in a way, because 75% of other homeschoolers I've met I can't connect with at all. I don't get along with them, they're far too closed minded for me, or just too immature. However, you can't just toss that cliche on everyone that home educates.
I have met countless homeschooled kids in my career, the vast majority are social misfits.
reb

Mesilla Park, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Apr 11, 2011
 

Judged:

5

4

3

Please don't home school your kids. My kids will need to hire them.

“Heroes aren't born”

Since: Apr 08

They are made!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Apr 11, 2011
 

Judged:

5

4

4

In this instance, either side has a case. There are both several positives and negatives on either side and as a parent it is difficult to know what to do. The first factor in deciding should be whether or not the parent truly has the skills and the time to effectively teach their child. Being honest about whether or not they are really helping their child. I have two children in public school and one getting ready to enter. I have thought about taking them out several times, but I want them to be able to enjoy sports and to have the experience of knowing how to handle social situations. I have opted to offer extra support at home. I have them play educational games and have online sites where they can go to practice. I also feel the area that our schools are most lacking is in history and georgraphy, so we discuss and learn about those things together at home. I simply hung up a world map on the wall in my room and we all started studying, picking a country, seeing where it is at and looking it up to learn a little history. Easy and interesting. The schools aren't great, but if the parent doesn't have the time to fully home school, just being a good support system can go a long way.
KokopelliMOM

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Apr 11, 2011
 

Judged:

4

2

1

Nice, now the true crazies come out.
Yet another benefit to home schooling. My kids learn to treat others with kindness and respect. HS'ing isn't for everyone, but don't assume that it doesn't work for some others. My children participate in activities with other kids outside of the home. They are more outgoing now than they were when they were in PS. I am complimented all the time on how well mannered and mature my kids are. You come across lazy parents on both sides, that has nothing to do with whether HS'ing vs. PS'ing work.
SSayles

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Apr 11, 2011
 

Judged:

7

5

3

Nice, Lee! We didn't miss out on social skills either. When my folks took my sister and I out of public schools in 1985, our friends and family argued that we wouldn't receive the socialization needed to make our way in the world.

The problem was that we were already socialized to speak, think, and act like little adults, so we never really fit in with our peers in public school. Instead, we became more active in 4-H, our church youth group and our horse associations and left the poor kids who had to "stay in school" far behind.

Today, my sis and I both have masters degrees. Being home schooled didn't make us value learning any less--we were home schooled because we were part of a family that valued learning over the convenience of the paid babysitter. It was hard work, on top of everything else they had to do, but my parents made the commitment and stuck to it until we were both in college.

By the way--we were both valedictorian of our respective classes!(We joked about it, but in case another reader should think it a laughing matter, we both won academic scholarships.)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Standardized Testing Discussions

Search the Standardized Testing Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Substitute Teachers Are In Demand 21 hr MaltaMon 10
Poor teens' health may benefit from top schools Jul 27 Phil 14
Teacher guilty of sex with student released early Jul 26 Delinquent Juvenile Willy 2
Classroom security: What you should (not) do Jul 23 Deathly Jericho Walls 4
Researchers Say Better Schools May Be Remedy fo... Jul 21 Maltamon 1
Slow Homeschooling Jul 20 CENSORED BY TENNESSEE 8
La. children deserve higher stands for education Jul 20 Maltamon 3
•••
•••