We must face up to the real education...

We must face up to the real education problem

There are 11 comments on the The Santa Fe New Mexican story from Apr 5, 2009, titled We must face up to the real education problem. In it, The Santa Fe New Mexican reports that:

I am the interim director of Tierra Encantada Charter High School in Santa Fe and a retired New Jersey public defender and California trial attorney.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Santa Fe New Mexican.

Serious

Albuquerque, NM

#1 Apr 5, 2009
Finally, an educator brave enough to speak up about what is the REAL problem with our schools. Thank you Mr. Lolordo.

And, I agree with many of your opinions. Parents and kids in this town are fearful of their safety at our public schools. Although you do not come out and say it specifically, you note that many of the new immigrants are especially vulnerable to the influence of these gangs. I believe that the city's position of being a sanctuary city has gone too far. When most of the kids in our public schools don't speak english and the kids from Santa Fe are fearful for their safety at public schools, something is wrong. And what is wrong is that many of these gang members are illegally in this country, are willing to commit crimes because they know that they can always skip back across the border to avoid punishment. In addition, many of the legals in town are extensions to gang, drug and other criminal activities. It is time this town review its immigrant friendly policy for the safety of those that are here legally.
Yes the

Santa Fe, NM

#2 Apr 5, 2009
Serious wrote:
Finally, an educator brave enough to speak up about what is the REAL problem with our schools. Thank you Mr. Lolordo.
And, I agree with many of your opinions. Parents and kids in this town are fearful of their safety at our public schools. Although you do not come out and say it specifically, you note that many of the new immigrants are especially vulnerable to the influence of these gangs. I believe that the city's position of being a sanctuary city has gone too far. When most of the kids in our public schools don't speak english and the kids from Santa Fe are fearful for their safety at public schools, something is wrong. And what is wrong is that many of these gang members are illegally in this country, are willing to commit crimes because they know that they can always skip back across the border to avoid punishment. In addition, many of the legals in town are extensions to gang, drug and other criminal activities. It is time this town review its immigrant friendly policy for the safety of those that are here legally.
gangs are a problem. The rest of your rant wasn't there.
Serious

Albuquerque, NM

#3 Apr 5, 2009
Yes the wrote:
<quoted text>
gangs are a problem. The rest of your rant wasn't there.
Keep living in your own little, insulated world where everything is rosy. This problem is going to continue to get worse in SF and eventually, we will have had enough of it. All you have to do is look at these issues in some of our neighboring cities; Phoenix, ABQ and SoCal for indications of what will be happening here. But, apparently, that is okay with you because the "world is good, and righteous."
Colorado

United States

#4 Apr 10, 2009
Yes, just another clear example of race being the trump card against common sense and safety. You know most people look at issues of gangs, drugs, illegals as wrong and not good for anyone regardless of race. But you and many who share your view put race above all. Even if this garbage goes on in your neighborhood, your schools, you will look the other way, call everyone else a racist, and watch as society continues to degrade, but by God, you stand up for a race class, and that is all that matters. Can't you comprehend that people like 'Serious' and the directory of Tierra Encantada Charter actually care about you, your kids, your schools, and your neighborhood? Sadly, this country, New Mexico, Colorado, etc. will have to continue the downhill slide until the majority of people can put aside their silly bias, and think and act like adults.
L Brown

Santa Fe, NM

#5 Apr 19, 2009
I agree that there is a huge amount of denial about the gang problem in Santa Fe schools. I am a fourth grade teacher in the Santa Fe Public School system. I have several students in my class who are already in gangs or who are at risk of joining gangs. I've incorporated the Restorative Justice program in my curriculum to address the problems my class was experiencing with bullying, harassment, and assault by these students. I am currently working on ways to alert my staff and parents about the growing gang problem in our school. The problem is magnified by the media and the clothing industry's glamorization of hip hop and gang behaviors. My heart hurts when I see these young ones who have so much anger and so little hope. But, yes, I would love to be able to teach without constantly having to be on the look out and dealing with their negative behaviors. Your suggestions are good ones. I hope the task force includes kids, gang experts, and ex gang members. Please me know of further developments.
Reality

Portland, OR

#6 Apr 20, 2009
Maybe we need to start collecting good statistics on crime and discipline problems so we won't get bogged down in discussions of race and immigrant status. Also good statistics would strengthen the case that action is needed.

It does sound like a serious problem, and we should not allow ourselves to be distracted.

Since: Dec 08

Santa Fe

#7 Apr 20, 2009
What ever happened to corporal punishment(spelling)? I remember getting out of line a little and I got paddled, then I had to go home and get more medicine. This type of treatment made me pretty reluctant to out of line too much. My parents pretty much made me aware that if I misbehaved in school, the teachers and principal were well justified if they were to smack me.

4th graders in a gang? Please, they should be getting their little @sses kicked by their parents, teachers, and principals. Oh yea, I forgot, you can't discipline kids anymore because you'll get thrown in jail for it. Rant over, as you were.
Serious

Rio Rancho, NM

#8 Apr 20, 2009
Colorado wrote:
Yes, just another clear example of race being the trump card against common sense and safety. You know most people look at issues of gangs, drugs, illegals as wrong and not good for anyone regardless of race. But you and many who share your view put race above all. Even if this garbage goes on in your neighborhood, your schools, you will look the other way, call everyone else a racist, and watch as society continues to degrade, but by God, you stand up for a race class, and that is all that matters. Can't you comprehend that people like 'Serious' and the directory of Tierra Encantada Charter actually care about you, your kids, your schools, and your neighborhood? Sadly, this country, New Mexico, Colorado, etc. will have to continue the downhill slide until the majority of people can put aside their silly bias, and think and act like adults.
Not sure, but I think you were agreeing with my comments, which do NOT contain ANYTHING about race. I Never have and never will I make illegal immigration and it's effects on our community and country a race issue. I was not born a racist and did not become one....ever.

“Shwing batta!”

Santa

#9 Apr 20, 2009
Sadly, one of the big problems educators face is that there are MANY parents in this community who are a) gang or ex gang members, b) high on drugs or alcohol, c) working 2-3 jobs to make ends meet d) in prison, e) single parent families with no significant father figure, f) in jail or prison or g) just not there and MAYBE being raised by a grandparent not prepared to deal with the issues of today.
A teacher or Principal can only do so much for these kids. They HAVE GOT to have someone at home that can support or (hopefully) instill the values in their children and sadly, it is missing.
I hope for the things Mr. LoLordo speaks of, but I don't see a change until we see a HUGE change in the basic family unit of Santa Fe.
Serious wrote:
<quoted text>
Not sure, but I think you were agreeing with my comments, which do NOT contain ANYTHING about race. I Never have and never will I make illegal immigration and it's effects on our community and country a race issue. I was not born a racist and did not become one....ever.
Spank

United States

#11 Apr 20, 2009
Carlos Romero wrote:
What ever happened to corporal punishment(spelling)? I remember getting out of line a little and I got paddled, then I had to go home and get more medicine. This type of treatment made me pretty reluctant to out of line too much. My parents pretty much made me aware that if I misbehaved in school, the teachers and principal were well justified if they were to smack me.
4th graders in a gang? Please, they should be getting their little @sses kicked by their parents, teachers, and principals. Oh yea, I forgot, you can't discipline kids anymore because you'll get thrown in jail for it. Rant over, as you were.
These days that's referred to as child abuse, especially if it happens in the school. Oh, and then there follows the lawsuit.

Santa Fe

#12 Apr 21, 2009
Spank wrote:
<quoted text>These days that's referred to as child abuse, especially if it happens in the school. Oh, and then there follows the lawsuit.
What a joke. Except that it's not funny. Oh well..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

School Vouchers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Florida NAACP & Black Pastors In Standoff Over ... Jul 14 Whites Not Competent 2
News Platform: Texas Democrats feel strongly on tran... Jun '16 CA DAD 5
News Can school choice help keep kids out of jail? Apr '16 Mark Fursman 5
News In last radio address, Boehner promotes school ... (Oct '15) Mar '16 Phil 16
News Education 52 mins ago 6:49 p.m.House delays vou... Feb '16 More Facts 2
News NC judge: Private school vouchers unconstitutional (Aug '14) Jan '16 Bob 9
News Florida teachers challenge voucher expansion (Jul '14) Dec '15 Candace 4
More from around the web