Education secretary says DC kids shou...

Education secretary says DC kids should keep their private-scho...

There are 13 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Mar 4, 2009, titled Education secretary says DC kids should keep their private-scho.... In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Education Secretary Arne Duncan said Wednesday that poor children getting vouchers to attend private schools in the District of Columbia should be allowed to stay there, putting the Obama administration at odds ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

Schaumburg, IL

#1 Mar 4, 2009
I guess that Duncan and Obama would rather subject Chicago students to the bizarre experiment that the CPS system is.

If all public schools were providing good educations for the students then I would say that he need for vouchers would not be necessary, but we all know that this is not the case. If public schools are such a great place for students then why are the Obama girls in private schools in DC?

I guess that the promise of Duncan bringing better things to school systems like the Chicago public schools will take time. Seeing that he never got the CPSs running I don't hold out hope for the rest of the nation.

So, while the nation waits for the amazing transformation that Duncan and Obama will bring to public education, don't force students from substandard school districts not have other options - give them vouchers.
too old

New Haven, IN

#2 Mar 4, 2009
Vouchers are discriminatory.

Kent, WA

#3 Mar 4, 2009
In Seattle I see little evidence that vouchers would move more students to private high schools. Those schools are already full with long waiting lists, and they require high performance on academic entrance tests as it is. Plus, private school tuition is high enough that few students from low income areas would find a voucher sufficient to allow them to consider a private school.
In the end, we need our public system to work. Our main focus should be on that.
We should be looking at schools such as Kipp/Ascend in Chicago - schools which have a success record with inner city kids. We should be looking at the International Baccalaureate program, which has had success with achievers. And, we should be figuring out how to move the important elements of these schools into our public school system.

Since: Jun 08

Evanston, IL

#4 Mar 4, 2009

Vouchers are OK for poor children in DC but no where else in America. I guess Obama thinks only the poor reside in DC.

Obama can send his kids to a private school because he can afford it. Most Americans can not afford to send their kids to an expensive 28k a year private school that enrolls Obama's kids and a few other poor kids getting to attend the pricey school on the taxpayer's dime.

A few poor and wealthy elite kids get a free ride to the best schools available but middle class Americans struggle to pay their bills and local, state and federal taxes.

For what? So their kids start at a disadvantage by not having school choice and getting a quality education?

Obama and the Democrats care not a wit for honest and hardworking Americans.
Chicago Ex-Pat

Arlington, VA

#5 Mar 4, 2009
The solution is simple: lawmakers who oppose vouchers should put their money where their mouths are: Enroll their children in the public school systems in their home districts. If public schools are good enough for the rest of us, they are good enough for lawmakers. Same goes for public school teachers, principals, school board members, and teacher union officials.

Saint Louis, MO

#6 Mar 4, 2009
The duplicity of the Obama administration is appalling. I hope this is what the Obama-bots expected when they voted for him. No lobbyists (except in certain cases), no earmarks (except for the 9,000 in the upcoming bill), transparency (as long as it only applies to the Bush adminisration), tax cheats will be held responsible (except for his cabinet members), stop wasteful spending (except when it comes to flying two 747's and a Marine helicopter to take the wife to dinner and make campaign speeches across the country and be home in time for dinner). And the list goes on...
Father Tomasino

Chicago, IL

#7 Mar 4, 2009
Liberals hate the voucher program because they are beholden to the Teacher's Union. Vouchers work. It is terrible that liberal Democrats want to stop competition. Democrats and Obama need to put politics aside and expand the program nationwide. Republicans are correct on this matter.

Kent, WA

#8 Mar 4, 2009
Vouchers for high school kids are nothing but a give away to the wealthy, besides not actually causing more students to enter private schools as I pointed out above.

In Seattle, private high schools charge $20K/year/student. On top of that, there are extras such as a requirement for personal computers, etc. So, even if there were a $10K voucher, that would leave a family of 2 kids a bill of over $20k/year, well outside the realm of a meaningful solution, especially when one notes that there is no room in these schools today.

Yes, rich people like US presidents have more choices. But, attempting to give everybody enough money to make the same choices isn't a rational policy direction.
Clear Vision

#9 Mar 4, 2009
Hope & just gotta HOPE that obama and his worshippers will CHANGE. He's now bringing no hope and only disguised change. A true fraud!

Livingston, UK

#10 Mar 5, 2009
i agree because u should have a right to what u want no one says no to u

Since: Sep 07

Montgomeryville, PA

#11 Mar 5, 2009
Looks like the roles are reversed between the 2 parties this time.

Kent, WA

#12 Mar 5, 2009
Clear Vision - what change are you hoping for?

Are you hoping the Obama family will get your tax dollars to send their kids to the school of their choice?
Clear Vision

#13 Mar 5, 2009
NWGuy wrote:
Clear Vision - what change are you hoping for?
Are you hoping the Obama family will get your tax dollars to send their kids to the school of their choice?
The obama family already has my tax dollars to send their kids to the school of their choice. I want them to attend school back in Chicago and take their parents with them. Then I want someone experienced and qualified in the White House to solve the nation's problems. It will not be done with a community organizer's foolish attempts.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

School Vouchers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bush, Rubio court Walker in Wisconsin Nov 10 WeTheSheeple 8
News In last radio address, Boehner promotes school ... Oct '15 Sterkfontein Swar... 13
News Columbus schools administrator who changed data... Aug '15 Big Johnson 1
News Bangert: Awkward! Education reform called out a... (May '15) Jul '15 Bob 21
News Jeb Bush fights lonely battle for Common Core (May '15) Jul '15 Maltamon 14
News Huffman revises school voucher bill (Dec '11) Jun '15 Flower 2
News Waukesha School District vouches for a financia... Jun '15 3snugglebunnies 1
More from around the web