Ohio House Approves $55.6B Budget, Sends To Senate | WBNS-10TV, Central Ohio News

Full story: 10TV WBNS

As lawmakers worked on the budget, more protestors gathered outside the Statehouse on Thursday.
Comments
1 - 20 of 24 Comments Last updated May 9, 2011
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Paula Robinson

Saint Clairsville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2011

Judged:

Nothing like living in a Nazi dictatorship! GOP controlled House, GOP controlled Senate...fat chance the middle class will survive in Ohio. A capitalistic democracy only survives if their is a middle class. These extremist Republicans are slowly eliminating the middle class and soon there will be nothing but rich and poor. Ohio keeps losing people who are moving to other states. Count me as another one!
pat

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2011

Judged:

"I personally think the biggest winners were the middle class," said State Rep. Jay Hottinger, a Republican, "because we're the ones who are the taxpayers of the state."

Get it? This guy is trying to convince you that teachers and public service employees are NOT taxpayers. Inflammatory misinformation is the name of the game. It is designed to set worker against worker in this country who will be so busy fighting each other that they will not notice how politicians like this guy are taking your money and finding ways to use it to disempower YOU. Decades-old tactic.

Teachers, firemen, policemen and public employees pay taxes.
instine

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2011

now we are not going to let the poor and sick see a doctor and a lot of them cant help them selfs. belive it or not theres a lot of us not as smart as you are.
USA USA USA USA USSR

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2011

instine wrote:
now we are not going to let the poor and sick see a doctor and a lot of them cant help them selfs. belive it or not theres a lot of us not as smart as you are.
WOW, "a lot of us not as smart as you are" - Agreed
USA USA USA USA USSR

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2011

Judged:

Paula Robinson wrote:
Nothing like living in a Nazi dictatorship! GOP controlled House, GOP controlled Senate...fat chance the middle class will survive in Ohio. A capitalistic democracy only survives if their is a middle class. These extremist Republicans are slowly eliminating the middle class and soon there will be nothing but rich and poor. Ohio keeps losing people who are moving to other states. Count me as another one!
Bye, It seems you definition of middle class is very similar to the definition of lazy.
Dave S

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2011

Judged:

Paula Robinson wrote:
Good ridance!
Dave S

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2011

Judged:

pat wrote:
"I personally think the biggest winners were the middle class," said State Rep. Jay Hottinger, a Republican, "because we're the ones who are the taxpayers of the state."
Get it? This guy is trying to convince you that teachers and public service employees are NOT taxpayers. Inflammatory misinformation is the name of the game. It is designed to set worker against worker in this country who will be so busy fighting each other that they will not notice how politicians like this guy are taking your money and finding ways to use it to disempower YOU. Decades-old tactic.
Teachers, firemen, policemen and public employees pay taxes.
That minority is PAID by the MAJORITY. He is correct!
Libertarian

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2011

Judged:

We are a Republic. Government is supposed to be limited. We are to take care of ourselves as individuals.

Ohio is one of the highest taxed states in the union. It is about time the fat is trimmed. Government doesn't create jobs and unions need to removed from the public sector.

The following link will give you an idea where your (who actually pay) tax money is going.

http://www.buckeyeinstitute.org/
whichendsup

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2011

Judged:

I go to work every day and I work hard and I have a job because that is what I do. What I can't seem to understand is why people feel that because they were hired for a job that they are entitled to that job forever with constant raises - regardless of performance. I also cannot figure out why anyone would want someone else to speak for them - if you have something to say to your boss, just say it!!!

I am also very curious who is doing the job of all those people who have time to picket the state house in the middle of a work day? Lets see... teachers and public employees who say they care so much for their students and the public but they can just take time off to stand around and socialize with other people who obviously have too much PTO! I have an idea - no work, no pay!!! Seems like an easy way to fix it!!!
citizenjam

Mansfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2011

Nice try guys buy that is not going to make it. Debt service, pension deficits and Too high appropriations.. 90% Ohio citizens still with negative net worth (bankrupt) due to Ohio and Federal legislature lack of fiscal responsibility! So Ohio is bankrupt. So be it unless someone in the legislature does something now!

Since: Apr 10

Westerville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2011

Judged:

I am getting so sick of people that seem to think eliminating state employees or cutting their pay is the panacea to the budget problem.
The state payroll is like 2% of the budget.

Don't forget, that $8 billion dollar deficit. And then notice the new budget is $5 billion more than the last one.
DAK

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2011

Judged:

I cannot understand what is so darn hard to balance this budget. You start with the total of the money coming into state coffers, set 10% aside as a rainyday fund (savings) and divide the rest up by a percent of what programs we have. That's all there is and don't let any one department run in the red, either the managers make it work or we get new managers. "Here is x-amount of dollars, Mr. Transportation Department. That's all there is so spend it wisely and you won't be getting another dime until next June so..."
Cutting should start at the top and work down, not the way it is now where the poorest get the axe first.
Moderate Me

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2011

whichendsup wrote:
I go to work every day and I work hard and I have a job because that is what I do. What I can't seem to understand is why people feel that because they were hired for a job that they are entitled to that job forever with constant raises - regardless of performance. I also cannot figure out why anyone would want someone else to speak for them - if you have something to say to your boss, just say it!!!
I am also very curious who is doing the job of all those people who have time to picket the state house in the middle of a work day? Lets see... teachers and public employees who say they care so much for their students and the public but they can just take time off to stand around and socialize with other people who obviously have too much PTO! I have an idea - no work, no pay!!! Seems like an easy way to fix it!!!
You must be every employer's dream employee. You get hired for a job, you go to work every day and if you remain committed to that job and that employer, you don't feel you need regular raises (you know, to keep up with inflation, etc.). It's all about filling the company coffers with cold hard cash and you are so unselfish that you donate your gifts to the company. You say you don't understand why anyone would let someone else speak for them? You have obviously never worked in an environment where you were considered a commodity rather than a human being doing a job. You should feel very fortunate that you can speak your mind in your workplace without fear of retribution. Not everyone is quite so lucky. Many people, if they have something to say and dare to say it, are told goodbye, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

As for those people who are protesting having paid time off, I can only guess that since you are super-employee and don't need raises, etc., that you also forego vacation/personal days. What a martyr and shining example you must be to your fellow employees. I am certain those protestors used personal time, vacation time, or were not scheduled to work on the particular day they were at the statehouse exercising their constitutionally guaranteed right to freedom of speech.
instine

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2011

instine wrote:
hi,,,
whichendsup

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2011

Judged:

You must be every employer's dream employee. You get hired for a job, you go to work every day and if you remain committed to that job and that employer, you don't feel you need regular raises (you know, to keep up with inflation, etc.). It's all about filling the company coffers with cold hard cash and you are so unselfish that you donate your gifts to the company. You say you don't understand why anyone would let someone else speak for them? You have obviously never worked in an environment where you were considered a commodity rather than a human being doing a job. You should feel very fortunate that you can speak your mind in your workplace without fear of retribution. Not everyone is quite so lucky. Many people, if they have something to say and dare to say it, are told goodbye, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
As for those people who are protesting having paid time off, I can only guess that since you are super-employee and don't need raises, etc., that you also forego vacation/personal days. What a martyr and shining example you must be to your fellow employees. I am certain those protestors used personal time, vacation time, or were not scheduled to work on the particular day they were at the statehouse exercising their constitutionally guaranteed right to freedom of speech.
It is not that I am a super employee, but just as an example, I think it is ridiculous for a teacher to have the entire summer off, two weeks off at Christmas, Spring Break, etc (yes, I know they are doing lesson plans and spend endless hours and dollars on their classes) and then also get days and sometimes weeks of sick time/paid time off or whatever you call it! Yes, I would love to have a guaranteed job and pay raises and lots of time off but that is not reality for most people! These days I think it is about an honest days work for an honest days pay - not entitlement!!!! If you work hard and go to work when you are scheduled, the pay raises and other benefits will follow. I know there are exceptions to the rule, but I am not convinced that all non-union employers are out to cut the throat of their employees like most people want us to believe.
mike

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2011

How about OHIO get some medical Maurjuana BIlls passed...How bout we start making some money in OHIO....Remember you can eat it too!!!!.. No need for smoking it......Let's be a state that's for the people...of the people.....Go Weed!
theotherside

Youngstown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2011

Libertarian wrote:
We are a Republic. Government is supposed to be limited. We are to take care of ourselves as individuals.
Ohio is one of the highest taxed states in the union. It is about time the fat is trimmed. Government doesn't create jobs and unions need to removed from the public sector.
The following link will give you an idea where your (who actually pay) tax money is going.
http://www.buckeyeinstitute.org/
LOL Oh yeah, that's an unbiased organization.
whichendsup

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2011

Judged:

It is not that I am a super employee, but just as an example, I think it is ridiculous for a teacher to have the entire summer off, two weeks off at Christmas, Spring Break, etc (yes, I know they are doing lesson plans and spend endless hours and dollars on their classes) and then also get days and sometimes weeks of sick time/paid time off or whatever you call it! Yes, I would love to have a guaranteed job and pay raises and lots of time off but that is not reality for most people! These days I think it is about an honest days work for an honest days pay - not entitlement!!!! If you work hard and go to work when you are scheduled, the pay raises and other benefits will follow. I know there are exceptions to the rule, but I am not convinced that all non-union employers are out to cut the throat of their employees like most people want us to believe.
just saying

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2011

This is in response to whichendsup. As a teacher, the rally attendance for Thursday began at 5:00 PM. School is closed for the day, so teachers were able to come without taking a sick day/personal day. As far as summer Christmas/Easter breaks, many teachers would be happy to lengthen the school year. Parents and communities do not seem to want this. I for one, would be happy to get paid for 3 months more of work. Right now, I am paid only for the time I work!
Gambler

Grove City, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2011

just saying wrote:
This is in response to whichendsup. As a teacher, the rally attendance for Thursday began at 5:00 PM. School is closed for the day, so teachers were able to come without taking a sick day/personal day. As far as summer Christmas/Easter breaks, many teachers would be happy to lengthen the school year. Parents and communities do not seem to want this. I for one, would be happy to get paid for 3 months more of work. Right now, I am paid only for the time I work!
And WAY too much at that!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••